Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Only have one day, what do we see?

Only have one day, what do we see?

I know, essentials are different for everyone.

Some background: Wife and I are long-timers at WDW, and we can do all the Must Sees at MK, AK, Epcot, and Studios in 4 days. But we only have one day for Disneyland/California Adventure. She's never been to the Land, it's been nearly 40 years for me (which is odd, since I think I'm 37).

We arrive the evening of Columbus Day (Monday the 11th), staying at Sheraton Anaheim, and are hoping to do something similar to Pleasure Island, if such thing exists. Then we have all day Tuesday at the park(s).

Things we know we don't need to do: Small World. Parades (love 'em, but we know we can get more rides in if we skip the parades). Small World. Sit down lunch (unless there's someplace fast and "not to be missed"). Shopping. Small World. Get wetter than Splash Mountain (I know there's one ride everywhere that does this to you). Basic rides which are identical to WDW (like Dumbo & the Tea Cups). Small World.

Things we know we must do: Matterhorn. Tower of Terror. Buzz Lightyear.

I think this is what I know. We realize it costs more to do a parkhopper for the one day, but we're not going to get another chance to visit for quite some time, so we need to maximize the one day we have. We'll be there when the rope drops, and they will be pushing us out of the park when it closes.

And please don't say that we should see Small World. I'm binoculars, remember, so I can see you.

Thanks very much!

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

I dont know much about that "other" Disney park in Florida, but I would imagine you also dont need to see Soarin, since you have the same thing down there? The film might be different here, so check it out.

Autopia?

Monsters INC?

Animation Academy?

Subs?

Not sure if there are counterpats to these at WDW

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

Well, you could probably skip toontown, it's not that fantastic, and all, but I think you should at least walk thru Fantasy land and walk paaaast Small World, you may have biocs but your wife doesn't and SHE"S never been to the Land. And, seriously, while the rides and the song are the same, it's the outside of the attraction and the clock tower that make the DL version just more awesome than WDW

On that note: do pirates, haunted manion- and eat in New Orleans square since there is not one in WDW. Also finding nemo subs and Indiana Jones and Space Mt (try to get fastpasses).

DCA... hmm. Screamin'. Maybe the Aladdin show (not sure it will be playing on a tuesday though)? WOC show? Oh, Toy Story Mania!

Soarin is exactly the same, so if you seen it there, you seen it here.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Blog Entries

Since its a Tues, there's no Billy Hill, so skip that. But maybe you'd like Laughing Stock? You can grab a quick lunch while watching.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Since its a Tues, there's no Billy Hill, so skip that. But maybe you'd like Laughing Stock? You can grab a quick lunch while watching.
    Malcon, did you like laughing stock? I walked out about ten minutes into it, when they started cross dressing. It wasnt funny, and other people were leaving too..

Billy Hill = awesome

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Malcon, did you like laughing stock? I walked out about ten minutes into it, when they started cross dressing. It wasnt funny, and other people were leaving too..

Billy Hill = awesome
    I haven't seen the inside show yet. I've always enjoyed the street show. Not sure what you mean about cross dressing unless you are talking about Sallie Mae...
    Planning 3 trips at once...

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

Disneyland:
    - Buzz
    - Space
    - Captain Eo
    - Indy
    - Pirates
    - Haunted Mansion
    - Jungle Cruise
    - Tiki Room
    - Matterhorn
    - Finding Nemo if you feel you must, it's a skip for us
    - Castle Walk Through
    - Walk through Fantasyland and at least make the short walk to Small World to check out the outside

California Adventure:
    - Screamin'
    - Monster's Inc.
    - Tower of Terror
    - Toy Story

Disneyland does have the Downtown Disney area, but it's not like Pleasure Island. It's mainly stores and restaurants, but it's very nice to walk through and take in the atmosphere. You could plan to have dinner in one of the Disney hotels on your arrival night.

Tower of Terror is the best

What to do
    Buzz
    Indiana Jones
    Captain Eo
    Fantasmic
    Pirates
    Big Thunder
    Space
    California Adventure
    Tower of Terror
    Soarin
    Screamin
    World of Color get the Picnic basket for the 1015 show
    Aladdin

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

In DLR the "musts" are:

• Indiana Jones
    • Pirates of the Carribbean (quite different from WDW)
    • Eating in the New Orleans area
    • Space Mountain (might be the same as the WDW ride but still FUN)
    • Walk through the castle

In California Adventure:
    Screamin' (it's a hoot!)

Rides that are the same or very similar in the Florida parks and DLR/California Adventure:

• Soarin'
    • Big Thunder (my favourite)
    • Haunted Mansion
    • Peter Pan's Flight
    • Jungle Cruise

You'll enjoy DLR and California Adventure. There are lots of things to see and do and I've mentioned only a few. I'm sure other Mousepaders will have great tips to add. Make sure to post after your trip and let us know how it went!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4Goofy View Post
    In DLR the "musts" are:

• Indiana Jones
    • Pirates of the Carribbean (quite different from WDW)
    • Eating in the New Orleans area
    • Space Mountain (might be the same as the WDW ride but still FUN)
    • Walk through the castle

In California Adventure:
    Screamin' (it's a hoot!)

Rides that are the same or very similar in the Florida parks and DLR/California Adventure:

• Soarin'
    • Big Thunder (my favourite)
    • Haunted Mansion
    • Peter Pan's Flight
    • Jungle Cruise

You'll enjoy DLR and California Adventure. There are lots of things to see and do and I've mentioned only a few. I'm sure other Mousepaders will have great tips to add. Make sure to post after your trip and let us know how it went!

Whats different about the two Pirates rides? I love the DLR version and will likely not visit WDW for many many years.

thanks!

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar

I don't think Buzz is that hot, but what about Toy Story in DCA? Everyone seems to like that one. The subs are an original...check out the city hall and fires tation as this is where Walt worked and lived for a short time. Inside Mr Lincoln and the Gallery is some old historical stuff about the park (if you are into that) And I gotta say, I like the Monorail at Disneyland too.

Hi there!

The PoC ride at Walt Disney World is noticably shorter than the one at Disneyland because the Blue Bayou and Grotto of Lost Souls scenes are not in the ride at WDW. Also, there are 2 drops on the Disneyland version and only one in WDW. The one missing at WDW is the bigger of the two drops at the Disneyland park.

Of course, rides in both parks are similar - I guess my description of 'quite' different in the previous post, is a matter of personal opinion. For me, the difference is enough to mention and I think the OP will notice it during his visit. I love the rides at both parks but prefer the Disneyland ride because it provides a longer ride experience.

The Toy Story Mania ride in WDW is the same as the one in DL, although the que at WDW is much better.

DL ~ June 1981 ~ March 2000 ~ Oct/Nov 2001 ~ March 2006 ~ Oct/Nov 2007 ~ March 2009 ~ Sept 2010 ~ March 2011 ~ Sept 2011 ~ Sept 2012 ~ Sept 2013 ~ Sept 2015 ~ Aug/Sept 2016
    WDW ~ March 2005 ~ Sept 2009 ~ Aug//Sept 2014
    DVC MEMBER since March 2011
    Next trip: WDW August 20-Sept 4

Blog Entries

Well everyone has giving you great rides ... about eating... your going to want to get in and get our fast so try these

Disneyland
    Cokes Corner - last building on the left side as you enter right next to candy store...
    Red truck has great corn dogs it's sitting next to camera shop on main street right across from Coke Corner....
    Hungry Bear - across from Splash Mountain - good food and looking out on to the river with all the boats passing you by....
    Pizza Port - next to Captain EO/ at the entrance too Space Mountain

Sorry DCA I don't really like to eat over there.... just not that many places to eat and haven't found one that i'd give good reviews too....

Ok, so there are 3 categories in my head: things WDW doesn't have, things I think DL does better and things I think you can skip.

Things WDW doesn't have:
    Storybook Boats (do at night if possible)
    Matterhorn
    Castle Walkthrough
    INDY!!!
    Subs

Things I prefer at DL:
    Peter Pan
    Pirates
    Space
    Snow White just had some work done, you might want to see that.
    Fantasmic! if it's running. SO MUCH BETTER than the studios version.
    Tiki Room, because we haven't allowed Iago to come.

Things I would skip because they're close enough:
    Soarin' (the line has some cool history in it at DL, but the ride is absolutely identical)
    Buzz, unless you're a big fan. There will be little/no wait, and you can remove your gun from the holster (they're on a cord), but it's the same concept.
    Toy Story, especially if you're used to having a fast pass for it in WDW. The lines for this one get crazy long, unless you speedwalk at ropedrop you'll likely invest at least 30 minutes in line here.
    Tower of Terror, because I like the WDW version better. (DL's doesn't move the elevator down the hall before you drop. Just up and down.)

As for food, if you want to take a break and sit down make a reservation for lunch at Carnation Cafe on Main Street. It's a very quick sit down (we usually spend less than an hour, even if we're being slow) and they have fabulous, filling baked potato soup. We also like Pizza Port in Tomorrowland for quick stops, and Bengal BBQ for a snack.

Keep Moving Forward!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AJDerrick View Post

As for food, if you want to take a break and sit down make a reservation for lunch at Carnation Cafe on Main Street. It's a very quick sit down (we usually spend less than an hour, even if we're being slow) and they have fabulous, filling baked potato soup. We also like Pizza Port in Tomorrowland for quick stops, and Bengal BBQ for a snack.
    Do not miss the potato soup at Carnation, its awesome, and filling.

I agree about eating at New Orleans Square. If you don't want to do Blue Bayou, I suggest Cafe Orleans for the Monte Cristo and the Beignets. Indiana Jones is a must IMO.

Siggy aka Jill

This is great stuff, thanks very much.

Do folks think it's possible for two 'driven' adults to hit 12-14 BIG rides on a Tuesday in October?

(and Buzz is a must, even if it's identical to WDW).

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny the Binoculars View Post

Do folks think it's possible for two 'driven' adults to hit 12-14 BIG rides on a Tuesday in October?

I want to say yes, but there are some things to keep in mind. Tuesday is an early entry day, and you won't have that, so some of the Fantasyland ride lines will have started to build up already, particularly Peter Pan probably. It's HalloweenTime, so Space Mountain will have the Ghost Galaxy overlay. Seems like that was very popular and fastpasses disappeared early for that, so that should probably be your first fastpass of the day. Haunted Mansion will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay and can get surprisingly busy during this time, so you may need to consider riding this early in the day or getting a fastpass for it. Also, Tuesday nights in October Disneyland is going to close early for the hard-ticketed Halloween event, so you'll need to factor that into your timing. Since this is new this year, no one knows exactly how that will impact DCA crowds, but I would expect them to be much higher than usual in the evening, and it also may be that DCA closes as early as 8 PM unless they decide to have extended hours there to take the crowd overflow on event nights.
    I agree with the other posters about Carnation Cafe being a nice place to eat (and you've got to eat after all), but I wouldn't do it without a priority seating considering you've only got the one day and want to get so much done. If you really don't want to devote the time to eating, a corndog from the Little Red Wagon is fun or Pizza Port is good if you don't hit it at a peak meal time.

Well if you love Buzz you'll be happy with the DL version--you can lift your gun, which makes it much easier to aim at the good stuff.

As for 'possible' for 12-14, I think so. Probable? That'll depend on the park hours and how aggressive you are about getting FP's. If you day goes something like this, I can see pulling it off...

Rope drop DL, get FP for Space
    Go straight to Indy. Pickup a FP when you're done if you can by then.
    Haunted Mansion (they MAY have FP at this point, due to the overlay, but I'm not sure)
    Pirates
    Subs
    At this point, or before, go rope drop at DCA and:
    FP for Soarin' (if you want to, it's the same as WDW)
    Tower of Terror (again, I think WDW's is better, but it's a 'big' ride)
    Screamin'
    Personally, I'd avoid Toy Story...the queue is boring compared to WDW and it's fastpass-less so it gets pretty crowded.
    Get another FP in DCA somewhere then head back to DL
    Get FP for Splash/Big Thunder/Indy
    Use FP at Space
    Buzz
    Big Thunder
    Splash

I've listed ten rides there, and we've done that on days anywhere from December to Memorial Day weekend. I cannot stress enough the importance of rope dropping both parks. Get in, get FP's and move next door. Depending on how you feel about Fantasyland rides you may want to do that right after getting Space FP's.

Watch for the hours and see what you're in for. You might also consider trying RideMax, there are good things about it on the boards here. You put in what rides you want to hit and it tells you what order to go in.

And if you call the dine line and ask for the first lunch seating at Carnation you can be in and out in 40 minutes no prob.
    Keep Moving Forward!

Blog Entries

Yes, even a strong yes if you dont do sit down meals and eat sorta on the run. Utilize fast passes (there are reams of great threads in here on that), and you will be set, you are going during a good time.

If you dont mind missing Nemo and Peter Pan, two of the most congested rides during the day, you will get in four or five more rides...

I think it's possible. If you're not set on riding together you might consider single rider but not everyone likes that. You might be able to fit in more this way. The big rides usually have them and sometimes you end up on the same train/cart/elevator with your partner. If nothing else, at the end you might be able to take a second ride.

I'd like to hear how successful you guys are too, when you get back of course!
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    I think it's possible. If you're not set on riding together you might consider single rider but not everyone likes that. You might be able to fit in more this way. The big rides usually have them and sometimes you end up on the same train/cart/elevator with your partner. If nothing else, at the end you might be able to take a second ride.

I'd like to hear how successful you guys are too, when you get back of course!
    Tuesdays in October the parks shouldnt be to busy as long as it is before school lets out around 2-3pm & also take in consideration Disneyland is closing at 6pm for the halloween party so you could buy a $49 ticket for it & see the special halloween fireworks which that is the only way to see them this year. But last October I was able to do the entire disneyland park including a parade, PH & PFF with my 2 y/o niece & 10 y/o cousin, all in one day we got there at 10am & left at closing. Do single riders if you dont mind being seperated but me & my sister has always been on the same ride except on Screamin' once.

Besides the rides that are already mentioned do DCA's Mulholland Madness if your there before they close it on Oct 12 & Mickeys Fun Wheel cause the views are amazing.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Ok. I know you're not going to go ON Small World and I'm TOTALLY ok with that. But. You have to go LOOK at Small World if for no other reason than to ask yourself: With alllll that real estate that they had in Orlando why did they give Orlando's SW such a craptacular faade????

Pirates: Must do. You MUST do this in Anaheim. Must.

And if you like Buzz in Orlando, you must ride it in Anaheim because it's better.

Tiki Room.

And I agree with: you must walk through the castle.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Yes I think it is possible, but if it was me and I only had one day to see both parks, and I spent all that money, I would spend just a few more dollars and buy Ridemax. That way you can punch in all the rides you want and find the best way to ride them all and yes I have done both parks, every ride all in one day, early dec, slightly raining, it was great.

Also, not mentioned, maybe because it is not running then, I did hear rumors it was going to close, but I love Aladin and they do not have that in WDW. But the rides are up to you, I love them all but in different ways, only ride I ever skip is AstroOrbitor, and go on Golden Zepher, only because it is more comfortable to get in and out for me.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014