Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Disney Marketing Campaign: 'Let the Memories Begin’

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Memories can not be "planned" as Disney trys to do and many for kids this works but for anyone over 13 it seems like a gimic or fake Magic. Don't tell us how much more magical you are in every way...thats the jobs of THERE forums it takes away from the magic when you mix it with business.
    Memories can't be planned? Really??

Planned my wedding: Memory!
    Planned my 40th Birthday celebration: Memory!
    Planned my first home purchase: Memory!
    Planned my first trip to Europe: Memory!
    Planned every trip ever to Disney: Memory! Memory! Memory! etc...

Perhaps I am not fully understanding your post.
    Wishing upon a star...

2. # ADS

I'm not saying Disney needs a theme every year of course everyone on MP will go without a theme! Disney is the one coming up with themes the last 5 years since the 50th. So if they are going to do it why not put some effort into it. It's hard not to expect more from Disneyland when AP prices, ticket prices, and event prices are sky rocketing each year.

It may be lame, but I like the idea.

When people ask me why I go to the Disneyland Resort every year I tell them that I am making memories. Some memories are great and caught on film. Others are amazing and personal. We've had bad memories too (food poisoning the day of our flight and sick 3 out of 6 days).

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Count me as one of the cynics.
    It's not clear to me whether they are projecting these photos all at once or one at a time. Do you and your family really want to stand in front of IASW "hoping" that your pic is one used? For how long?
    Through 500 pics?
    during the press conference the sample image from IASW showed multiple photos all over the facade, similar to what they do with the medley of Tchaikovsky's (no relation to me ) Nutcracker and the projected images at Christmas time.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

The joys of the evangelist. These are the people that Marketers really want to get talking to people for them. This kind of advertising is just a simple marketing technique. Who better than your Average Joe to get others to understand how great you are.

Let me see if I can get people to understand why the average person is better then someone you hire. Think about this, how much do you pay attention to commercials when they are on? Now think about how much you listen to someone when they speak passionately about something, and they arent being paid. You will usually pay more attention to the person who isnt being paid because we have come to distrust advertising.

This distrust of advertising is what Disney seems to be counting on. It seems that they dont want people to think they are actually being advertisied to, but that they are just having a normal guy talk to them about something they are passionate about.

Number of visits to Disneyland 36

Here are my memories....

BTMRR
    Nose in the map
    Jay & Baloo

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Blog Entries

[B][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]wow i have to admit it is a bit of a let down. i don;t expect to get a gift everytime we go either. during the yomd we went to wdw 3 times and being dl pass holders at the time many many trips to dl. could not even win a lanyard. but while at ak for dd 21st bday we did get walked to the front of the line by a really nice cast member and that was great. he thought it was funny that we had gone all the way out to florida when dl was in our own back yard. he was amazing and great to talk to. i would really be happy to have the guest services improve as they have seemed to dwindle a bit in the last few years on both coasts. nothing horrible but the cm seem less friendly than in the past

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm glad they're doing the projections at DL on it's a small world as opposed to the castle itself like at WDW. I think I'd hate for the castle to be ruined with other people's images.

The 50th collages were fun - this promotion, not so much, for me.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Here are my memories....

BTMRR
    Nose in the map
    Jay & Baloo
    Nice - the site's a little slow (& wish they had scroll or arrow through pix function) and the music I had to turn off after a bit, but your 'memories' are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I don't know that Disney needs to do promotions (maybe they should just stick with anniversaries and such) - this one is 'cheap' and easy for them, but like another poster I'd rather see money spent in character interaction and cast member service. I will enjoy seeing the memories - they do make me smile and bring back memories of my own. We're not going for the theme of the year/s (though the 50th was a huge draw for us) but we'll enjoy this when we get there, a little (not standing there to watch for an hour or anything!!!)
    “I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mousecanuck View Post
    Nice - the site's a little slow (& wish they had scroll or arrow through pix function) and the music I had to turn off after a bit, but your 'memories' are beautiful, thanks for sharing.

I don't know that Disney needs to do promotions (maybe they should just stick with anniversaries and such) - this one is 'cheap' and easy for them, but like another poster I'd rather see money spent in character interaction and cast member service. I will enjoy seeing the memories - they do make me smile and bring back memories of my own. We're not going for the theme of the year/s (though the 50th was a huge draw for us) but we'll enjoy this when we get there, a little (not standing there to watch for an hour or anything!!!)
    Thanks. We were there for the 50th too...of course we didn't realize it when we planned oldest DDs first trip for her 4th birthday. But finding all the 50s was fun.
    Shannon

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newhdplayer View Post
    Is Disney going to pay me for the use of my images?

Lame, and cheap, are two words I could use to describe this campaign.
    Yup. I agree. I also wondered if Disney is getting a release from everyone to project their images--but I guess they'll add language to the ticket media saying once you walk through the gates that you are consenting to use of your photo. Hmmmm. Wonder what the annual pass I already have says about that?
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yup. I agree. I also wondered if Disney is getting a release from everyone to project their images--but I guess they'll add language to the ticket media saying once you walk through the gates that you are consenting to use of your photo. Hmmmm. Wonder what the annual pass I already have says about that?
    They may just put up the A-frame signs at the entrance, like they do when they're shooting a commercial.

I figure this is a marketing slogan - just so they have a theme to wrap all the promotional flyers and mailers and stuff around. And a banner or two at the parks.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Memories can not be "planned" as Disney trys to do and many for kids this works but for anyone over 13 it seems like a gimic or fake Magic.
    FAKE Magic? Really?? And memories CAN be planned as others have said. DH and I honeymooned and DL and it's one of my best memories. I planned that trip...

Sorry--I don't need a bunch of strangers looking at my picture to get a buzz for the day.
    Ok... so don't send in your pictures. Easy as that.

I don't go to Disney to get something for free, but to have a fabulous time with my family and to make MEMORIES. If you want to get paid for your time to upload photos, don't bother.
    Agreed. You said it perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    think I'd hate for the castle to be ruined with other people's images.
    I don't think pictures of real people smiling and having a great time at the place we all love would ruin the castle. It's just temporary... it's not like they are painting people's faces on there...

but I guess they'll add language to the ticket media saying once you walk through the gates that you are consenting to use of your photo. Hmmmm. Wonder what the annual pass I already have says about that?

I'm pretty sure that cast members are not going to be walking around taking random pictures of random people and using them for advertising...

Why are some people so negative? I just don't get it. It's DISNEYLAND people! Be happy that you even get to go. ARGH.

Not overly thrilled with the new theme. I dont feel that DL needs a theme every year. Just being there is enough for us (and we are there almost every weekend).

I really wish they were not putting the pictures up on IASW. I think it cheapens the holiday overlay/projections they do.

Very glad its not on the Castle like FL. However our castle is much smaller so that might be why they are doing it on IASW.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandgirl View Post
    Why are some people so negative? I just don't get it. It's DISNEYLAND people! Be happy that you even get to go. ARGH.
    So, if I'm not a fan of the newly-announced promotion, I shouldn't be allowed to express my opinion? I get that you're excited about it - that's great. But I'm not telling you to tone down your enthusiasm.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Thumbs up

I LOVED the year of a million dreams, it was always so exciting seeing the dream CM with some sort of promotional item, we were the exciting winners of year of a million dream mickey ears, lanyards, pins and fastpasses, it was so exciting! I also LOVED the give a day get a day promotion, how exciting was it knowing you were getting into disneyland for a day just by volunteering your time! My daughter thought it was so great celebrating her birthday there, so that promo was awesome too, and I believe if you are able to actually see your family photo on the castle or on IASW, just imagine seeing your childrens faces when they see that!

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure that cast members are not going to be walking around taking random pictures of random people and using them for advertising...
    you'd be surprised. More and more there is a note on media stating you may appear in a photo or video - mostly at events - but it would be very easy to hand you a small flyer at the ticket booth, or when you enter, or have the signs up (permanent install for the year)... yes, many of the PhotoPass pics will be provided -but what about people enjoying attractions? those normally are not photo pass moments and I bet that Disney photogs will be taking those at random...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    BTW - I AM happy I get to go - my opinion is just that their marketing department could be more creative I guess. Again - my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    So, if I'm not a fan of the newly-announced promotion, I shouldn't be allowed to express my opinion? I get that you're excited about it - that's great. But I'm not telling you to tone down your enthusiasm.
    I'm not upset that everyone is sharing opinions. That's what I come to MP for. I just don't get how some people (NOT you) can be so negative. I am not exactly excited about the promo either... I just don't care if DL has a yearly theme or not, I just want to go there. And I don't expect anything for free when I go to Disney. My gift is getting the chance to be there.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar
    From AP Terms and Conditions: Entry into the Disneyland Resort constitutes consent for Disney to use any film, video or reproduction of image and/or voice of a Passholder for any purpose whatsoever without any payment to the Passholder.
    Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Here are my memories....

BTMRR
    Nose in the map
    Jay & Baloo
    This is mine: http://memories.disneyparks.disney.g.../#/detail/2217
    Siggy aka Jill

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Love it!
    Shannon

Oooh I just check and they posted more of my pics...

Xmas Card

Carousel

Cinderella

Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Two years ago: "What will you celebrate" aka "Do your own promotion".
    Last year: "The year to volunteer" aka "Do your own parade".
    This year: "Let the memories begin" aka "You fell for those, now do your own advertising too".
    Ha! I like the way you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4Goofy View Post
    I liked the "What Will You Celebrate" theme. I specifically made a trip to DLR for my 40th birthday that year and had the best birthday ever! (oh yeah, I also got a very generous gift card from Disney for spending my B-day with them and used it to buy a lovely gift for myself.
    FWIW, the What Will You Celebrate promo was going on until this new thing was announced. They were just doing it withOUT the birthday present. And doing that promo without the birthday freebie showed how ridiculous a promo it was, to me and my family at least.

I also went in '09 for the same birthday. Had a good time. Was most excellent to get the giftcard. But that was separate from the Celebrate promo, obviously, b/c the promo went on this year (after all the GAD stuff was "sold" out) without the freebie.

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy4Goofy View Post
    Memories can't be planned? Really??

Planned my wedding: Memory!
    Planned my 40th Birthday celebration: Memory!
    Planned my first home purchase: Memory!
    Planned my first trip to Europe: Memory!
    Planned every trip ever to Disney: Memory! Memory! Memory! etc...

Perhaps I am not fully understanding your post.
    You cannot always plan WHEN exactly a memory will happen.

My wedding? Planned, and I hardly remember it.

My honeymoon? Planned, and I almost do not remember it at all, because I was brand-spankingly-new pregnant (wedding night) and was already passing out at 8pm and at various points in between.

Sometimes the most memorable moments are the ones that just spring out of nowhere, and sometimes the things we plan and slave over are forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by kfreak View Post
    This distrust of advertising is what Disney seems to be counting on. It seems that they dont want people to think they are actually being advertisied to, but that they are just having a normal guy talk to them about something they are passionate about.
    I wish they could somehow bring back the crew that did the '05 promo DVD...sigh. Of course, the leisure guy is now doing ads, the cute fun hostess is now doing small parts in "real" TV shows..."Luke" and the lady talking about famlies are probably busy too...but they were GREAT for the DVD back then (my son watches it often!), and they would have been great in commercials...sigh.

I do NOT want to hear "normal" families talk about their experiences (it's my least fave thing about DVC, watching their podcast things where they always include that sort of thing in it), I want attractive and polished actors being enthusiastic while TRULY showing the parks off. (just like in the '05 promo video)

But what I really want is to have the promos stop...just let it be the parks again...

Love it!
    Thanks! Brings back great memories! Isn't at what this campaign all about?
    Siggy aka Jill