Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Disneyland in HDR another look

Disneyland in HDR another look

Check out this folder.

http://garycarter.smugmug.com/Disney...89080060_c3mUf

Check back as I add to this from week to week.

2. # ADS

Looking good. May I ask how much of it is done in post?

2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Quote Originally Posted by pixar View Post
    Looking good. May I ask how much of it is done in post?
    I'm putting together another folder titled Before and After (before will show the JPEG as it was originally taken in camera, and the After will show the HDR Processing) Right now I am using software titled Photomatix Pro 3 (which costs around $85.00) as Photoshop costs well over $600.00 and will take me a while to save for that.

Quote Originally Posted by DaDuckFan1955 View Post
    I'm putting together another folder titled Before and After (before will show the JPEG as it was originally taken in camera, and the After will show the HDR Processing) Right now I am using software titled Photomatix Pro 3 (which costs around $85.00) as Photoshop costs well over $600.00 and will take me a while to save for that.

I have updated my HDR images which also now have the 'JPEG Image' Before HDR Processing.

http://garycarter.smugmug.com/HDR-Ex...96147257_6NfnH

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

I was just reading about the upcoming 4.1 os for the iPhone that will have some kind of built-in HDR processing for the camera. When turned on it will take 3 exposures and process them. I'm assuming it uses a preset algorithm and won't give you the ability to tweak the pictures yourself.

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Pic of Haunted Mansion Hanging Capt in Streching room

When the Ghost host states "But there's always my way out!" and the lights go out under the Lightning and in a flash you get a glimpse of the hanging Skeleton, I have tried to capture this shot and after many tries finally got a few good pictures. Running the RAW files through HDR makes it very sharp and colorful. Let me know what you think..

http://garycarter.smugmug.com/HDR-Ex...03653599_R7h4K

picture 20 and 21 in the folder.

Posted a couple of the better HDR pics on this site as well.

http://family.webshots.com/photo/215...46838361xxDsJm

What software are you using to create the HDR images?

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    What software are you using to create the HDR images?
    it's called
    Photomatix Pro

I'm still saving up for Photoshop CS5.

Thanks.

Still using CS2 myself, so many cool things you can do with Photoshop. Wish I knew all of the capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by chris001 View Post
    Thanks.

Still using CS2 myself, so many cool things you can do with Photoshop. Wish I knew all of the capabilities.
    Check at some local camera stores, some of them offer classes on how to use Photoshop, as well as how to use your camera, or the local community college might offer a class. I know of a store in Reno that does and have taken some of their classes and will be taking their Photoshop Basics and Advanced for $89.00 once I get the software, they are well worth the expense..

Had my Hard drive crash last week, thankfully I uploaded a few more pictures in HDR before..

http://garycarter.smugmug.com/HDR-Experiments-1

Aw man, that really stinks about your hard drive. You've got some great pics! I love the ghost host shot, and the unique angle on the Bazaar from Adventureland. Photomatix just released version 4, have you tried it yet?

Tours Departing Daily - Photography of the Disneyland Resort
    http://www.toursdepartingdaily.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewHansen View Post
    Aw man, that really stinks about your hard drive. You've got some great pics! I love the ghost host shot, and the unique angle on the Bazaar from Adventureland. Photomatix just released version 4, have you tried it yet?
    Thanks for the nice comment on some of my HDR Pictures, I took that unique angle coming out of the Tiki Room standing at the top of the steps to the side looking at the Bazaar during twilight and captured the lighting just so, same with the Ghost Host I fired off multiple shots over dozens of times through the HM when they say "but there's always my way" I have the flash off and the camera pointed up usually got underexposed, but some were overexposed, use a manual focus or they'll all turn out of focus due to the flashing lights.

I just got my computer back and am rebuilding my files, (Had an extra hard drive but it crashed as well, thankfully I had copies on CD's and some DVD's so I can eventually reinstall all my pics, but with over 80GB of pics it will take a few weeks) I'm beginning to think I have the black thumb of computer death.

Just downloaded version 4 of photomatix as well

Hope to start putting more HDR Pics up once I finish reinstalling all my raw files.
    Last edited by DaDuckFan1955; 10-12-2010 at 08:53 AM.

Waiting impatiently for next trip quackinup's Avatar

Clearly, to do the HDR photos, you have to use a tripod, but I read somewhere (most likely here) that it can be difficult getting gear like that in DL. I guess they don't want the pros using DL in their work? Have you guys experienced any problems like that?

Zip-a-dee-doo-dah!
    Next trip: Disney World May 1-9 2020

Quote Originally Posted by quackinup View Post
    Clearly, to do the HDR photos, you have to use a tripod, but I read somewhere (most likely here) that it can be difficult getting gear like that in DL. I guess they don't want the pros using DL in their work? Have you guys experienced any problems like that?
    So far I have no had an issue, as long as you avoid actual holiday dates, I have it stuck in a backpack and store it in a locker for most of the day, and then scout locations and bring it out an hour or so before dusk and keep it with me for the fireworks as well, but I have been told to put it away for the fireworks, depending upon where you are, if you can find a spot to the side, where there is little traffic I think they do not mind that.

What got me upset back in May 09 though was I had set up right by the rope and asked numerous CM if it was okay, they all said no problem, then an angry looking CM Supervisor told me it is a safety issue as if there was a fire people might trip over the tripod, I relucantly put it away and within a few minutes this same cast member allowed over 20 strollers to set up along the rope area! When I asked why that was not a safety issue she would not respond. After the fireworks finished I went to city hall and made a formal complaint against this cast member and was told she would be repimanded for such a flagrant safety issue, especially after having me put my lone tripod away!! I usually like to give CM's the benefit of the doubt as I also work in Customer Service since we are all human and after having to deal with angry peope it can affect your attitude somewhat if you do not have a few minutes to regain yourself after a really trying customer, but this was my first official complaint, as I have complimented quite a few CM's on going above and beyond in other visits though, but this instance she really deserved it.

I do not carry the tripod with me all day either as I have noticed CM's asking people to stow it in a locker if they are just walking from ride to ride, that is why we rent a large locker and stow it for most of the day and take it out for an hour and take pics, then put it away until dusk and usually find a spot to sit and wait for the fireworks and have had no real issues doing it this way, but it does depend on the mood and attitude of CM's as well as the employees conducting the bag check before the entrance I have heard of people being turned away for bringing in tripods, but for my last 5 visits have not had an issue.