Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: New Napa Rose menu posted

Quote Originally Posted by tea4two View Post
    Just for the sake of experimenting, I would think that any recipe that calls for citrus rind (usually sweet things, but even PW's lemon pasta is a possibility) might work. Buddha's Hands are very fragrant, so a little should go a long way. Let us know what happens!
    Found them and bought one. They did not have recipes. Buddha Fruit.jpg
    Siggy aka Jill

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Really? I know when we walked by at one point, it still had the wedding dress.
    The wedding dress that was there in December was the one G picked out, we were amused that was the one in the window.

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Found them and bought one. They did not have recipes. Buddha Fruit.jpg
    They really are just rind and zest, so any recipe you have that calls for citrus zest (orange, lemon, maybe even grapefruit) should work.

They really are just rind and zest, so any recipe you have that calls for citrus zest (orange, lemon, maybe even grapefruit) should work.
    Thanks Mary!!!
    Siggy aka Jill

Hi all-- there seem to be a lot of passionate fans of Napa Rose in this thread. I'm a DL veteran, yet have never eaten at Napa and am determined to try it before our annual passes expire in June (it was a birthday gift and we won't be renewing), so this is/has been my year of Disney fun! My husband and I live in LA and consider ourselves foodies and definitely enjoy wine-- we got married at a vineyard up in Santa Barbara County. This post seems to talk a lot of about particular dishes and providing menu updates, which is great... but I'm wondering if someone could chime in and help a newbie out with the basics of how to have a fantastic experience at Napa. A suggested reservation time? What to request for that reservation (chef's table? counter? what's the best?)? Also, I see discussion of "not ordering" and just "letting chef set the menu"-- is this the same thing as the prix fixe or does the chef end up totally customizing something?? Also, how much does this method of ordering cost? What about wine pairings? Thanks for the help, all!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopyfink View Post
    Hi all-- there seem to be a lot of passionate fans of Napa Rose in this thread. I'm a DL veteran, yet have never eaten at Napa and am determined to try it before our annual passes expire in June (it was a birthday gift and we won't be renewing), so this is/has been my year of Disney fun!
    Just as an fyi, Napa Rose is in the Grand Californian Hotel, so there's no theme park admission required to dine there, so you can go to Napa Rose even after your APs expire. They don't offer an AP discount anymore (they used to, years ago), so that doesn't matter either.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Yeah, I know the restaurant's in the hotel--didn't realize they didn't do an AP discount. Bummer. In any case, still want to try it while I have my AP cause then we'll probably be taking a break from DL from awhile and I wouldn't much like to just go to Napa Rose and NOT be able to go to the park. Maybe that's just me, but I'm not a big fan of the Downtown Disney area, so don't really make it down the Disney way unless I'm going to the park. Any tips per my original post?

I've only been once, but got a lot of advice here which made my meal special so I will pass on what I have learned here from the Napa Rose Ninja Masters. Chefs counter is considered best, I couldn't get a seat there, but got the Dessert counter which I enjoyed. Having the chef order for you costs the same as the Vintner's menu which is $95. It is worth it. The chef or the server will ask you about allergies and food preferences and then they make a menu for you to order. Some of it will probably be a sample of items on the menu and some will be something special not on the menu. If you see something on the menu you really want to try, mention it. You can pick your own dessert if you want or let the chef do that too. Wine pairings are extra. I don't drink wine so I paired it all with water so again, someone else can chime in with this info or you can look up the thread for pictures of menus. There are two seatings for the counter seats 5:30 and .... ? (one of the NR experts here will know, or again, the answer is probably found earlier in this thread)

"Hesitating to act because the whole vision might not be achieved, or because others do not yet share it, is an attitude that only hinders progress." -Gandhi

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

New Napa Rose menu posted

The other seating is at 8. I prefer the early seating. If there are lolly-gaggers in your seats it might delay your seating.

Wine pairings would be an additional $40/pp I believe. I find it a good value as I'm usually served at least one wine that goes for $20+\- a glass. You'll get a pour with every course. It's not quite a full glass, but more than half, IMO.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    The other seating is at 8.
    8:30.

Wine Pairings are $45. And if you get tasting portions, it's 5 dishes (4 entrees + dessert) and the wine is 5 pairings, same price.
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I don't drink much wine so they will usually (so far always) let my husband and I share the wine pairing. I get my own glass with a splash of wine and he gets a slightly smaller than normal pour in his glass. Often there will be one wine that I do like and I will get a larger pour of that. Sometimes they give my husband less to make the total poured equal to a single serving, sometimes they don't. Occasionally they will choose different wine pairings to go with our different entrees, which I always think is above and beyond since we have only paid for one pairing.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    8:30.

Wine Pairings are $45. And if you get tasting portions, it's 5 dishes (4 entrees + dessert) and the wine is 5 pairings, same price.
    8:30, even worse.

Can you tell the DH usually pays the bill?
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

When did the price for the Vintner's Menu go up? We were in the lounge tonight and saw the Vintner's Menu is now $100.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    When did the price for the Vintner's Menu go up? We were in the lounge tonight and saw the Vintner's Menu is now $100.
    Is the wine flight up, too?
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar

Nope, it was still $45. And $45 well spent!!!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

So we discovered tonight that they offer absinthe service, with a choice of two different brands, one from Sweden and one from France. But, it's not on the menu, so it's kind of like the In N Out secret menu - you have to know about it to ask for it.

It's now on our list of things to try.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

We will not return

DW and I visit the parks several times a year and have enjoyed a dozen fine meals at Napa Rose. Our recent meal was so poor we are unlikely to return.

The meal started out well. DW and I each had a Smiling Tiger Salad and our guests split the Diver Scallops, which were all excellent.

DW had the duck breast, which was very rare. The skin was like a gellatious rubber band and the meat was so raw, she described it as "well exercised road kill". Yuck.

I had the pork tenderloin, which is a huge pork T-bone steak. While looking very appetizing when it arrived, the meat was full of tendons and very tough. Not over cooked (in fact undercooked near the bone), but just a poor cut of meat.

One of our guest has a salad as a main, and the couple shared the salmon. They enjoyed the meal, but the guest who had the salad became ill and was vomiting that night. Double Yuck.

The service was excellent as always, but the food was way below standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    DW and I visit the parks several times a year and have enjoyed a dozen fine meals at Napa Rose. Our recent meal was so poor we are unlikely to return.

The meal started out well. DW and I each had a Smiling Tiger Salad and our guests split the Diver Scallops, which were all excellent.

DW had the duck breast, which was very rare. The skin was like a gellatious rubber band and the meat was so raw, she described it as "well exercised road kill". Yuck.

I had the pork tenderloin, which is a huge pork T-bone steak. While looking very appetizing when it arrived, the meat was full of tendons and very tough. Not over cooked (in fact undercooked near the bone), but just a poor cut of meat.

One of our guest has a salad as a main, and the couple shared the salmon. They enjoyed the meal, but the guest who had the salad became ill and was vomiting that night. Double Yuck.

The service was excellent as always, but the food was way below standard.
    :-( That's terrible to hear. We are planning on the Chef's Counter next week, and I hope we have a fantastic experience. Did you let the restaurant know that you were disappointed?

Agree with New2DL. Did you let your server know that there were problems with your meal? I'm sure the kitchen would have been more than happy to work with you to remedy things. Especially since a member of your party became ill after the meal, it would have been helpful to alert NR. That way they could have kept tabs on the situation.

Oh, and there is now a podium for seating in lounge. It is opposite the main desk. You give your name and the number in your party. The hostess calls you when your table is ready. The atmosphere in the lounge was noticeably more relaxed with the new system.

Last edited by tea4two; 03-10-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Did you let your server know that there were problems with your meal?
    No we did not say anything, even to each other during the meal. Only after we were back in our room away from our guests, did DW share her complaints. Our guests were happy and so neither of us wanted to complain. I did no learn our guest was ill until the next day.

No we did not say anything, even to each other during the meal. Only after we were back in our room away from our guests, did DW share her complaints. Our guests were happy and so neither of us wanted to complain. I did no learn our guest was ill until the next day.
    Well, just for your future reference, we've found that anytime there is a problem with our meal (small or large) at any TS restaurant at DLR (and that includes NR), we let someone know. The problems have always been fixed without argument. Even at CS places, we don't have trouble asking for something to be fixed. Most CMs and leads are more than happy to help. So don't be nervous or embarrassed to speak up.

...So don't be nervous or embarrassed to speak up.
    I am neither nervous or embarrassed, but rather not upset the dining experience for our guests.

While I have no doubt our issues would have been resolved, there should not be a need to send back an entree (or in this case 2). It is also not my responsibility to help correct problems at a restaurant of this type.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Just curious: do you know if Chef Sutton was there the night you dined Clyde?

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

...It is also not my responsibility to help correct problems at a restaurant of this type.
    It may not be your personal responsibilty, but it might have been considerate and helpful to let the kitchen know so that whatever caused the problem (vendor for the greens, new intern or new cook in the kitchen, supplier for the meat, etc.) could be addressed. This could help your fellow diners, too, so that they don't experience the same problems. Chef Sutton and Chef Alex are not mind readers. They do their best, but cannot be perfect. Constructive feedback to them at the time or soon after would have probably have been more helpful than complaints here. (They might read MP, but I have no reason to believe that they do.)

Quote Originally Posted by Toocherie View Post
    Just curious: do you know if Chef Sutton was there the night you dined Clyde?
    No idea. We dined on March 6 at 9PM