Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon

Loving my sweet pea.

Thank you Cathy and Steph for the feedback on getting my friend an offical time. I passed it on to her! I hope she can get it sorted out.

My race was okay. Not horrible, but not exactly what I was hoping for. My time was 2:43 something. I shaved about 3:30 of my Princess time last Spring, so I did PR, I just though I'd be able to do even a few more minutes better than that. BUT. I have my "proof of time"!!!!! I pushed it the last mile and a half to make it under 2:45. My legs were *so* tired! I cried at the finish (first time doing so out of three races, and I'm a big crier) for a few reasons 1) My pre-race morning did not go very smoothly and I was so relieved to have finished 2) I got my proof of time! Before my first half last year, finishing under 2:45 was something I thought I'd never be able to do. 3)My main goal for this race was so stick to my 4/1 intervals. And I did it! I actually RAN a half marathon! (oh, okay, well, techinically I JOGGED it, but shhhh, don't tell anyone!)

I had major digestive issues pre-race. I don't know if it was nerves or what I ate or a combo... but it did not start the morning off well. We were a few minutes late meeting my friend - major stressor for me. I ate a Jolly Rancher at about mile 5 and that was the biggest mistake I made the whole race. I was trying to cut down on my water intake because I think I drink too much. I enjoyed a few jolly rancher candies last year during the race, but hadn't had them since. Not only did it take forever to eat (thinking about it, I should have just spit it out!) I missed my scheduled GU time, and then for miles I felt like my entire mouth and throat was coated with sticky. Which made me deathly thirsty. I don't know if my digestive issues caused the dehydration (can that happen that quickly?) or if my antihistimine I had to take the night before caused a sever dry mouth feeling. But I just wanted to suck down water the entire last half of the race. So my hydration and nutrition eneded up being completely off.

I did plan to go slow in the parks, but was forced to take it even slower than I wanted to due to the crowds. I decided the energy spent bobbing and weaving wasn't worth it. I did successfully speed up after mile 5, but just didn't feel the umph in me to do the pace I know I can do. I felt so very focused on each step that I failed to take more of the experience in. So I ended up not enjoying this race as much. But I reallly do think my pre-race issue and jitters was a large cause of that. I feel relieved that it is over. I don't like training in the summer. Glad the training for Tinkerbell should be cooler!

An interesting fact: I compared my split times with my Princess race and noticed that out of my 3:30 time shaved off, 3:15 of that came out of the last 6k. For that race, I ran 1:30 out of 5, and for this race, I ran 4 out of 5. I think I pushed my intervals up to quickly during training and as a result my running pace suffered. But I was determined to do a 4/1. I think I'm going to scale back on my running interval to get my running pace back up and then reassess from there. Another lesson learned!

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    By the way, your tracking chip not working at 5K gave me a bit of concern on Sunday! I was 'tracking' everyone who posted numbers, and they didn't list a 'start time' - so all I had was the splits. And didn't get your first split until 10K. I was worried that something had happened you hadn't been able to start! In fact, on the spreadsheet I was using, I put a big 'whew' in your 5k results when I saw your 10K time!
    Awww, Cathy! Thanks so much for looking out for me! With the way my morning was going, i was afraid I might not be able to start! I was so afraid of going to my corral where there are no potties. But as you saw, I made it! It's strange how the chip failed to register at one of the lines but did just fine everywhere else. Did anyone else have issues? After seeing that my DH, friend, and myself all had issues at one of the recording lines (but at all different places) I was wondering if they were having a widespread issue with the B-Tag system.

Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall
    Cathy, I'm so glad you chimed in there. MS was tracking and posting several people's splits on FB and when I saw DHs, AdKs and not Nancy's, I was really worried. I saw her 10K and was so relieved. I realize that her time was awesome and I probably passed her heading out of the family reunion area. I'm so proud of all of the finishers. .
    Awww - thanks for your concern! I think your DH finished well before me because he was in a better corral. You guys were probably out of there before I crossed the finish line! It would have been fun to see you guys though! Next year I'll try to be faster.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Best.Medal.Ever.

I love that medal so much. It's so pretty.
    I hate to say it... but I think I still like this Disneyland Half's medal better than the Coast to Coast! There is something about that beautiful Disneyland "D" and the castle that I absolutely love love love. I like the C2C one... but it seems dwarfed by the this years medal. And they aren't including the year on bottom of the C2C medals anymore. I'm very proud of it, though! Like you said - not as many people have one!

In general, as for the corrals, they didn't bother me this year. They were set up just like last year except they put F in front of G instead of waaaaaaaaaaay back behind D and E. I was supposed to be in corral E, but didn't head that way until past 5:30. I could see the sign for corrals F and G, but couldn't find ones for D and E. We saw a ton of E bibs and hopped into a corral. We started asking around and found out it was the D corral. We debated moving back, but at that point at 5:45, we decided most of the people were already in place and it wasn't horribly crowded so we stayed put. It is a bummer not being able to see the start line from back there, but at least we could hear it this year. Last year I was completely overwhelmed by the corrals because it was not expecting the insanity of it all. This year it seemed to be the same as last, but I was more prepared for it.

The water stops did seem a little funny to me but I couldn't tell why. I just remember sort of having a general confusion as I passed through each one. I didn't take the energy to think about it during the race. It's true they didn't mark the stops on the map, but they did list them on the final race instructions handout. DH and I memorized the list from that so I felt like I knew what to expect.

Congratulations to everyone who raced on Sunday!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nancy, if you were having issues that required you to be near the restroom in the morning, then yea - that can affect your hydration level right away. Probably wouldn't be an issue if you weren't running a race, though.

I sweat a lot (I think I need to get the one more mile shirt that says "This isn't sweat, it's liquid awesome"), so I read everything I can get my hands on with respect to hydration and 'signs' that you should drink more, not too much, etc. Also, when my sister did her first half, she was sick for the next couple of days, and the best we can figure out it was hydration. So she really paid attention to that for her second (especially during her training), and even though a LOT of people had a lot of hydration issues (it was Wine & Dine half - so it was night, but still warm and humid), she was fine.

What makes you think you drink too much? Too many potty stops? One thing you can do during your training to help get your mind in tune with reading your body on hydration is to weigh yourself before and after your training runs. Here's a short runners world article about what to do with those numbers. They also have a whole section about hydration, to help you figure out your strategies for avoiding issues.

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THpoohbear View Post
    And they aren't including the year on bottom of the C2C medals anymore.
    Ok, this part royally ROYALLY sucks.

Part of me can see why - because they need to have enough to have them at all the events throughout the year - so they don't want to get stuck with a bunch of extra year-specific medals - but that doesn't account for 2011 because the need isn't changing until Tink next year.... For as much as they charge for Disney events - and for what people have to pay TO Disney in order to travel & participate, they should be able to put the year on the C2C medals.

I'm very proud of it, though! Like you said - not as many people have one!
    But when you don't have one, believe me, it looks like EVERYONE has one.

In general, as for the corrals, they didn't bother me this year. They were set up just like last year except they put F in front of G instead of waaaaaaaaaaay back behind D and E. I was supposed to be in corral E, but didn't head that way until past 5:30. I could see the sign for corrals F and G, but couldn't find ones for D and E. We saw a ton of E bibs and hopped into a corral. We started asking around and found out it was the D corral.
    That's why we couldn't find our corral because of all the "E's" in it. We kept stopping and asking and people kept saying "This is E!" and we hadn't seen then back of D for the entrance to D. We squeezed in where someone had unattached the two gates on the side.

That F behind D & E last year was really really really horrible, IMO. We were out in the boonies, up that hill.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsie View Post
    Anyone know if leftover merchandise makes its way to WOD or the Fullerton outlet?
    In previous years, I've seen the 1/2 marathon t-shirts at the Fullerton outlet some months later. I think maybe the pins too.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Smile

Sorry for the delay in my follow-up post!

I had a GREAT time last weekend! The half-marathon was a BLAST! I had so much fun. I had a 2:52 finish time using a 2:1 interval. My bib number was 7768.

I was so excited at the Expo on Saturday. It was great to see Tony and AVP as we were cruising around the exhibits. Soon after that we came across Krocks too! It was great to see all of you there. I saw Lani and Alex as well, but I didn't say hello as I don't think they would know who I was.

My friend Leslie and I were dressed up as the Incredibles along with our neighbor Mike. I was very flattered when complete strangers wanted to take pictures with us before the event! We were outdone by someone from my running group dressed up as Tron, glowing and all! He was hard to miss. Did any of you see him? I was with Tron and the rest of my group at the back of Corral E until the race started. There were six of us who ran the whole race together. I was surprised at how much bobbing and weaving we did. I had muscles that were sore afterwards that normally don't bother me.

I found myself quite speechless for the first 4-5 miles. I was taking it all in. All the entertainment and support along the way was fabulous. I found myself getting the chills when I saw the finish line. I have to say, I was sad that it was over.

I have already signed up to run the Santa to the Sea in December and will probably sign up to run the Hollywood Half in April. I'm sure those races will be so different than running Disney. I hope I can run the Disneyland Half next year and maybe catch a C2C sometime!

Tricia: Member of the ORIGINAL Oswald Returns.

Here we are before the race. I'm on the right.

DHM001.jpg

Here I am with the Finish Line in sight!

DHM021.jpg