Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon

2011 Disneyland Half Marathon

When does the date and registration begin for next year's half marathon. Are there discounts or anything for staying directly on Disney property? Anything special happening in the park at that time?

2. # ADS

Registration usually starts after this year's race is over, although it might open before. You don't need to register right away though, it won't fill up immediately.
    Unless they change it for some reason, it will be the Sunday of Labor Day weekend.

There might be some discounts for Disney hotels, but in the past it doesn't seem like they've offered anything that significant, especially since it's a holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post

There might be some discounts for Disney hotels, but in the past it doesn't seem like they've offered anything that significant, especially since it's a holiday weekend.
    When I checked rates for Disney hotels for the DL half, they were nowhere near the discount that WDW had for hotels for Princess half marathon participants. Being a holiday weekend certainly would be a factor.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Force is strong in this one

According to the website, registration opens January 3, 2011. I'll make sure to check the board out more around then. Been pretty AWOL the last few years or so, but I'm planning on being there again!

In the year leading up to my 40th birthday, I successfully ran 40 races ending with Ironman Lake Tahoe! Follow me on Facebook!

I did my five Disneyland Half Marathons and now I've "retired" myself. But I plan to be a volunteer for the event next year. Really looking forward to being on that side of the goings on and supporting the runners. Any tips for when and how to sign up to volunteer are appreciated!

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar

Volunteer sign ups started in April this year but that was way late compared to the other 4 years. Start watching the DL 1/2 marathon website around Jan. There will be a place to click for volunteering when volunteer registration opens up. Also sign up as soon as possible. Spots fill up quickly.

^ Thanks, M2NnM! That's what I wanted to hear. I'll be all over the site then come January.

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

This is kind of strange. Usually, registration opens right after the race. Last year (2009), I was actually able to sign up for 2010 on Saturday afternoon (2009), the day before the race.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Registration is open. I just registered DH.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

I'm in. I'm really chomping at the bit this year. Last year was fun (in costume), but injury prevented me from racing and I'm ready to get back to it.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

The race Web site says that registration is now 58% full, which seems much faster than in prior years. If you're still on the fence (or couch) about this, I'd encourage you to decide and register. The LA Marathon is March 20th, and I've been told by race officials that registrations for the Disneyland race spike right after LA is over. If that's the case again this year, and based on how quickly this race is already selling, it may be the earliest sell out yet.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    If you're still on the fence (or couch) about this, I'd encourage you to decide and register.
    Thanks for kicking me over the fence onto the "oh, okay" side. I thought when I did it last year it was going to be one of those once in a lifetime things...guess not. Registered today.
    To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Loving my sweet pea.

YAY Tinkermommy!

I registered a few weeks ago. This is my first ever running event. I decided to sign-up to commemorate my 40th birthday this year. I am really excited and at the same time wondering what am I doing?!? I will be training with one of my MouseAdventure teammates who has already done several marathons and the Disneyland Half.

Tricia: Member of the ORIGINAL Oswald Returns.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gfy4dland View Post
    I registered a few weeks ago. This is my first ever running event. I decided to sign-up to commemorate my 40th birthday this year. I am really excited and at the same time wondering what am I doing?!? I will be training with one of my MouseAdventure teammates who has already done several marathons and the Disneyland Half.
    Well if you're running it, you'll finish faster than I will and it'll be my fourth...

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Well if you're running it, you'll finish faster than I will and it'll be my fourth...

Adrienne
    I am planning to run it, barring any unforeseen injuries during training. Do you walk the whole thing or employ a run/walk strategy?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    I am planning to run it, barring any unforeseen injuries during training. Do you walk the whole thing or employ a run/walk strategy?
    Most of my running friends do intervals of running and walking and they say it really improves their time to do this.

I usually end up bored here and there and I pick up the pace a bit but it's usually not for very long distances (and primarily when certain songs come on my pink Princess ipod.)

My problem is that I'm determined to finish UNDER a certain time so I never let myself stop for photo opps. My goal is to do a photo-op event one day, LOL.

Adrienne
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I was reading up on the run/walk method on the Jeff Galloway website. It sounds like a smart way to run the race. My teammate and I are planning to meet up with a team to train starting in May. I'm excited (and nervous)!

I am hoping to stop for a few photo ops during the race, as I don't have any time I'm trying to beat at this point. We'll see when my competitive juices take over! As you can see, we stop for occasional (and quick) photo ops during MouseAdventure. Perhaps that's why we haven't placed first...we're too busy having fun!!

I decided to sign-up to commemorate my 40th birthday this year.
    That's awesome! I did it last year for my 50th. I hadn't done any real running since I was on the track team in high school, so I started from ground zero with training.

My buddy (who easily could have run the whole thing but stayed with me) and I did some running, lots of fast walking and even some staggering, and managed to finish in 3:30 and a few seconds.

I suspect you'll know by the end of your training what kind of strategy you want to use, but you can definitely do a run/walk and still make it; or run a lot and have time for photo opps (which we didn't). We were, however, VERY happy with the photo disc we bought. Every time we saw a photographer, we did some kind of goofy pose together, and ended up with a lot of great pictures without having to take time to stop.
    To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

I supposed the FPD (Future President of Disneyland) will want to do the DL half this year to get her first coast to coast medal.

I think I will wait until after Princess to decide whether her sister and I will sign up, though. Neither of us is especially engaged with the whole thing this time around.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mkraemer View Post
    I think I will wait until after Princess to decide whether her sister and I will sign up, though. Neither of us is especially engaged with the whole thing this time around.
    I totally get that.

Adrienne

I'm signed up too - going solo this year. My "local celebrity" says she's not racing this year.....

Someday going Goofy again.....

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terri5176 View Post
    I'm signed up too - going solo this year. My "local celebrity" says she's not racing this year.....
    What? Unpossible. Is she at least coming down with you?

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Loving my sweet pea.

Hoping to do this race but not signed up yet. DH is planning on doing it but wanted to wait to register until after he finishes the Princess next week (his first race). I will as long as medically I'm able, but won't be able to determine that until closer to the race date. I will probably wait to register until close to sell out, and in the meantime, keep on training and see if I can cross the threshold of doing more jogging than walking. For the Princess I plan on doing 3.5 minutes walking, 1.5 minutes jogging. For DL last year, I did walk 6 minutes, jog 1 (for only the middle 4 or 5 miles). I'd love to keep improving.

Mary & Adrienne - why feeling disenchanted this time around?

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by THpoohbear View Post
    Mary & Adrienne - why feeling disenchanted this time around?
    For me, I'm tired.

1- I did 3 in 12 months and I'm not a person who loves exercise or training. I have to make myself do it. I don't do it unless I have a plan/goal/major motivator. For 12 months it felt like I was constantly in training or gearing up for training. I'm kind of enjoying the break. The other day I realized I could go walking without worrying about my pace that I don't HAVE to worry about my pace just because I'm exercising...

2- I'm really really busy. So making the time to train and then taking the time to take an entire weekend to actually do the event. It's a big commitment out of our family's calendar.

3- We're seriously feeling a budget pinch in our house so having to register and shell out the registration fees and facing the hotel fees and such is another issue.

4- I really did not enjoy the DL this year. The corral set up was annoying. And from the beginning, I hurt. I almost quit in the first mile and was panicking because I was hurting so badly and I didn't know how I'd get through it. I got through it but at the end, I was hurting again. My *unnamed* pacing partner pushed me hard, and yes, I got a personal record, but it really hurt. Which is another reason I'm feeling disenchanted. My pace is still slower than I'd like it to be. I'm frustrated that my time isn't faster after three events and I'm feeling too lazy to push my training (which further frustrates me.)

Those are probably my top three issues. I still am doing the DL this year. I don't regret a minute of my previous events. But I'm not really missing not doing Princess this year. (Sorry to sound like such a downer!! I know you're going to have a BLAST. I had a WONDERFUL time last year, even though I had to wake up at 3:30 in the morning to do it... But since you asked, that's my answer.)

Adrienne