Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Has anyone packed re-usable ice packs in checked luggage?

Happily Ever After with my Prince.

Has anyone packed re-usable ice packs in checked luggage?

I think this is the right place to ask this question.

Has anyone taken re-usable blue ice packs with them in the their check luggage? (link below shows what I am talking about) Im wondering if there is any problems if you pack them in your check luggage. Any info or thoughts you have would be great.

http://www.amazon.com/CGP9-9x12-Comf...891233&sr=8-33

First DLR Trip as a ticketed guest (no AP) Thanksgiving 2012
    Disneyland every NYE from 1985-2010
    WDW Nov 2003, May 2009, Aug/Sept 2010
    WDW Wedding May 2008 at WP/LS
    TDR Oct/Nov 2008 DLP 1998

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Are you planning on using them for keeping food/items cool in transit - or just once you get to Orlando?

I don't think that matters on if it's allowed or not - but there could be some considerations if you're keeping items cool in transit.

I can't see why it wouldn't be allowed. I'd make sure they were double (maybe even triple) packed in such a way if they get squished too much in baggage handling that they wouldn't ruin items in your suitcase, though!

If it's to keep insulin cool during the hot days, you COULD bring it in your carry on because it would be an item required for medical purposes.
    ___
    But I don't recommend getting too broad in trying to get something through on the medical exemption. I did ask one time if sunscreen was considered medical, and they told me only if it was prescription sunscreen.

Cathy

I have packed them, in checked luggage, with no problem They were not frozen at the time, and I wasn't trying to keep anything cold. I was planning to store them in our Owner's Locker, and to have them available for our park days.

Ziplock bags are your friend....as someone who recently hauled 44 lbs. of beef to the bahamas so we could have a "decent" burger & steak (and as the daughter of someone who once hauled a leg of lamb to the azores for new years...) I've had a bit of experience with packing cold stuff! My Mom used dry ice for the Azores trip and I used frozen ice packs with no problem.

Prior to packing them - be it frozen or room temp, put them in a Ziplock bag "just in case". Should be no problem.

Thank you all for your feed back, it really helps. I should have explained better, sorry. I would be carrying them in check luggage, not cold, room temp. For use while at WDW. Why Im taking them is for my bad back. I use these ice packs, to help sooth my bad back and it helps in pain management. I don't have a prescription for them, so there is no way of carrying them in carry on luggage and Im fine with at.

Why I don't just take an old fashion ice bag and use hotel ice, is because the ice pokes out of the bag and it hurts. Not very helpful when my back already hurts. The instant one use ice bags are just to pricey and don't stay cold long enough on the last trip I took. So these ice bags I was asking about, it will be my first trip ever trying to take them on a plane with me. And Im trying not to stress weather or not they will make it though security screening or not. It not fun on a 5 hour flight wondering if your luggage made it on the plane with you, as we all know. And then hoping your luggage makes the same stops you do. lol

So that is why I ask. I didn't read on line anywhere that said you can't. But that doesn't mean you wont have problems. So thank you all for your help.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really can't see where you'd have any issues with them. I hope they work wonders so you can walk the days away at WDW without pain! (And I know what you mean about pokie ice!)

ETA: And if you're using the refrigerator in your room for anything that just needs refrigeration - you potentially could have issues with refrigerator things freezing if you have the temp low enough to really freeze the ice packs. It's probably mostly preventable with careful placement of items, though.

Cathy

Blog Entries

Poor thing. Any chance you'll be doing a grocery stop? Frozen bags of peas work for me! Use, refreeze, use, then discard at end of trip.

A helpful tip from my massage therapist.

Not so great if you are using DME but I used to do this all the time for driving trips and still am known to dash out for a bag of peas on occasion.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

We are staying at Pop and I didn't want to pay for a refrigerator. This trip is on the cheap lol So how I'm going to get the ice packs cold is we have two cooler backpacks. We tried this out in Vegas in 120 degree weather and surprisingly it worked. Using these coolers and hotel ice. Over night the ice packs get very cold. Not as cold as if we had a freezer, but colder then the one time use ice packs.

My plan is to take one ice pack with me in the cooler. DH carries the back pack for me. We also have bottled water in the back pack too. Anyhow I'll leave the other ice pack in the other back pack in the hotel room. I'm hoping with this idea will work

We are just using Disney transpertation this trip so no rental car. Great idea about the frozen peas. I'll remember that for a later trip. Thanks

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I know you're at Pop, but when we were at POFQ, I thought the fridge wasn't up high enough. I turned the dial, which just spun. I thought that meant that it didn't work. I forgot about it until Shawn (DH) found frozen seltzer cans in the fridge. Oops!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Quote Originally Posted by janell View Post
    We are staying at Pop and I didn't want to pay for a refrigerator. )
    You should be able to get a fridge for medical reasons for no charge. It's a little smaller than the fridge you pay for but it will still work for you.

Jenn
    Who moved to SoFl to be closer to WDW

tdelaney_98, those dials can be tricky. Ive had the same thing happen to me before.

jengold29, thank you for the info. I will call and ask if I qualify for it.