Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Who fears flying but does it for WDW?

Who fears flying but does it for WDW?

Anyone out there who fears planes but has done it for Disney? I flew all my life but in recent years have become fearful..

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

2. # ADS

What makes you fearful? Is it the turbulence, or the stories from others about plane disasters? I know I don't need to tell you that flying is by far the safest method of travel.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

One of our best friends is a pilot. I don't care how much he tells me (I thought knowledge is power), I am still a freak in a plane. I have to do deep breathing exercises. I have to play Tetris (once I am allowed to use my electronic devices). My heart races and my head swims. It's really embarrassing.

I have figured out that what makes me nervous is the takeoff. I SLOWLY count to 100 from the time the tires lift off, and then I'm ok. I'm not a FAN of landing, but I know it's almost over then, so I can justify that.

For me, it's the crash thing. I KNOW it's the safest way to travel, but it doesn't help. When it is a true phobia, all the reasoning in the world doesn't help an unreasonable fear. I do find that if I take a benadryl about an hour before flying, that helps too. There's always an anti-anxiety pill from your doc if it is truly debilitating.

Knowing I'm going to WDW always makes it bearable!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

OK...I'm in on this discussion. I have some anxiety about take offs and landings. I've gotten better about it over the years (and darn it, I seem to be in planes quite a lot due to my job).

On my last flight, from Kona to Oakland, it was so smooth at take off, I didn't even realize we'd left the ground (I was fiddling with something else at the time)...so I think I might have made significant progress in learning to relax.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Generally not an issue for me - but I do tend to get white nuckles a little bit when there's decent turbulence.

The AIRPORT parts are usually more stressful for me (especially connections).

Cathy

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by mkraemer View Post
    OK...I'm in on this discussion. I have some anxiety about take offs and landings.
    This is me too, and in any sort of heavy turbulence. Part of my father's job is to investigate smaller plane crashes (which he always found ironic, since he engineers for bigger passenger planes). And as many times as he has told me crashes are rare, especially for large planes, I still get freaked out!

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    What makes you fearful? Is it the turbulence, or the stories from others about plane disasters? I know I don't need to tell you that flying is by far the safest method of travel.
    It came over me a few days before flying to Tampa back in 2004. I had a fear come over me and we decided to drive and have driven ever since..heck I flew after 9-11 out of La Guardia and back so it wasn't that. The more I think about being trapped in the air with no control...
    Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

I hate to fly.

But I do love to travel. And I have a sister living in Europe, and one in New York so I travel several times a year. I have a prescription for a very low dose of xanax and it has saved me.

I have always hated flying, oddly enough after 9/11 I was not nervous for years (I suppose I thought that the worst had already happened and I was safe ) But the fear has crept back up to pre-9/11 levels.

Luckily WDW is a 2 hour drive from my house

Jenn
    Who moved to SoFl to be closer to WDW

Blog Entries

I used to be scared but not so much anymore. I get a little nervous but not as bad as I used to get. I do have horrible motion sickness though. I need 2 dramimine to get through the flight keeping my stomach inside of me. Without it i look like the exorcist.

My mother on the other hand needs prescribed meds for anxiety and she has to start them the night before we leave otherwise it is not a fun flight for all of us.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Add me to the fear of flying crowd. I've always been afraid. I forced myself when I worked for a company where I had to travel a bit, then didn't fly for 10 years! Then finally in 2008 went to WDW and have gone several times since then.

I am going in November with my BFF--who happens to be a pilot. So I am actually looking forward to hearing her tell me what all the noises and such are. But we're doing a red-eye on the way out so I'm also planning to take half an Ambien and get some sleep. I actually slept part way last November and it was so nice to get to Orlando rested and feel like I'd just gotten on the plane and it was time to get off!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries

I finally overcame my fear of flying once I started doing to 2x a year.

After not flying for 2 years I was really nervous. We were going with all the kids I teach for them to perform in MK. One of the dad's were in the FBI and when he heard my mother and I were nervous he came over and told us not to worry. I don't know why, but I was more comfortable knowing that he was on the flight. He got on the plane before everyone else. I felt even more safe when we were both sitting in the same row.

.....Then he slept from the moment we took off until we landed. Haha! But after that flight I was never extremely nervous again. I get butterflies still though.

We also only fly jetBlue now. That helps calm my mother's nerves. Instead of thinking the entire flight the televisions really help draw your attention to something else.

Kristin

I resemble the title of this thread I wasn't afraid of flying until after I had children. Up until that point, severe turbulence and a plane tipping on landing made other passengers scream and did not bother me a bit. I guess having my daughter made me aware of my mortality. I have been a nervous flier ever since. Even slight turbulence has me white knuckled. Crazy. However, I REFUSE to let this fear stop me from traveling!!!!

I hate the thought of flying. As with others,I really hate the take off and landing. Once the plane levels off I'm usually ok. I'll take a peek out the window a few times. On one trip to WDW my wife asked if I realized how hard I was holding onto the arm rests. Luckily for our next trip we are driving. I know it's safer and faster but I'd rather walk from PA to WDW than fly.

Enjoying every moment with Caleb... poohpal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    Instead of thinking the entire flight the televisions really help draw your attention to something else.
    Kristin, that is what got me through two years ago. Hadn't been on a plane since 9/11, but the thought of visiting WDW for the very first time was too exciting to pass up. While at the airport waiting to board, I had a panic attack. Hubby got me calmed down (a venti quad shot latte didn't hurt either - ), and once we boarded our Delta flight, I was too involved in the plane games to notice much else. DH just got home tonight from a biz trip to LA and flew Jetblue, he loved it. But, we already got tixs on American for our Oct. trip - and they won 't have tvs! (Might have to start my vacation inebriation a tad early!)

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Some airports have kiosks where you can rent portable DVD players. Or you could have a friend who has one for car trips with their kids that they'd let you borrow. Or a laptop computer.

Cathy

I won't say that turbulence doesn't bother me, cuz it does - it bothers everyone flying if it gets severe enough. But really rough air is pretty rare. I always have a good book and a bottle of water with me, and just settle in to a cycle of reading, snoozing, reading, till it's time to land. I have more of a problem with claustrophobia, but strangely I have a better time with a window seat than an aisle one - I guess it's being able to see all that great outdoors that chills out any claustrophobic attacks. But I'm really not wild about the little puddlejumpers that have only 1 or 2 seats on a side, and seats that just weren't built for me. You can't get me out of them little cans fast enough!

- James Taylor

Blog Entries

Poohpal- like Cathy said, look into portable DVD players.

One time on continental in 2007 instead of playing a movie they played comedy sitcoms. New adventures of old Christine, two and a half men, etc. That was better than an inflight movie. The whole plane was watching and cracking up! It was a fun flight.

So glad I am not alone..you are my dis family as well as my fof (fear of flying) family..helps to hear what others do to get there fast and as stress free as possible.

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The flying part isn't too bad for me...it's the landing with the twisting and then the plane tips to one side and my cookies start to gurgle...I take medicine for it but oh my goodness!!!! I have to look out a window, if not; I'm toast. Even if I just see clouds....

The other part that makes me nervous is getting thru the airport. Going thru security with two kids. Taking the shoes off, putting everything in bins and having some impatient person behind me giving the nasty eye because we are taking too long. Geez! Have some patience!

Once we are thru the gates, I'm fine.

How about a kicking screaming kid behind you on the plane?

1. I feel bad for the parent

2. I feel bad if it's a baby/toddler and their ears are hurting

3. It's a whole new topic if the young child is just out of control and doesn't want to sit.

Stephanie

I'll remain patient with a crying baby, as long as the parents seem to be doing something. When they're just ignoring the problem like they probably do at home, that's when I'll say something, not so nasty at first, but increasing in nastiness as needed. This ain't your living room, people, and that screaming baby IS annoying everyone within 20 rows or so!

The worst is the toddler who needs to be entertained. I love it when a parent is doing this right, keeping the child engaged while keeping the noise down. But a lot of the time the parent is making more noise than the child, which is just unforgivable!

- James Taylor

So glad I am not alone..you are my dis family as well as my fof (fear of flying) family..helps to hear what others do to get there fast and as stress free as possible.

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    The flying part isn't too bad for me...it's the landing with the twisting and then the plane tips to one side and my cookies start to gurgle...I take medicine for it but oh my goodness!!!! I have to look out a window, if not; I'm toast. Even if I just see clouds....

When the plane tilts to the side I can't look out the window!!! My mother likes to look so she keeps it open. I have to close my eyes.
    Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by DebT View Post
    I wasn't afraid of flying until after I had children. Up until that point, severe turbulence and a plane tipping on landing made other passengers scream and did not bother me a bit. I guess having my daughter made me aware of my mortality. I have been a nervous flier ever since. Even slight turbulence has me white knuckled. Crazy. However, I REFUSE to let this fear stop me from traveling!!!!
    That is me! Taking off bothered me a little. The rest was fine. Having my kids on the plane FREAKS ME OUT! Completely irrational, I know. The kids think flying is the greatest adventure ever.

I on the other hand make sure not to watch anything about plane crashes for about 2 weeks before I go. Seems to help.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    The AIRPORT parts are usually more stressful for me (especially connections).
    Yeah gotta agree with this one, I get more worked up worrying about making connections, so getting on the plane and taking a seat and taking off is the stress reliever for me.
    "Although we think it's DOPEY that Pluto has been downgraded to a dwarf planet, which has made some people GRUMPY and others just SLEEPY, we are not BASHFUL in saying we would be HAPPY if Disney's Pluto would join us as an 8th dwarf. We think this is just what the DOC ordered and is nothing to SNEEZE at."

Quote Originally Posted by DebT View Post
    I wasn't afraid of flying until after I had children.
    Me too! Not really afraid, but nervous now, when I never was before. I've flown now a generous handful of times since our DS4 was born, only one roundtrip flight with the boy, the rest just me or me and DH. But yeah, now at takeoff and landing, my stomach tightens up in a knot, and if I let myself, I could really start to panic. I never felt that way before we had a child. It's gotta be the mortality thing.
    --jenny