Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Maynard sightings

Both of the times we saw Maynard, it was when he was alone. As in not during a parade, etc. First time, it was a rainy day at the park and almost all the CMs were standing around twiddling their thumbs. Seriously, it was a day where everyone was trying to drum up something to do, the park was that quiet. That was when we had him to ourselves for about 20 minutes or so.

The second time was the Tiki Room, late in the day, I think we were the last show of the night. He hung around for a minute or two, and took silly pics with us.

We have waved at him and given him a "thumbs up" when we pass him and he's busy. He kind of smiles, and gives us a silly face, then goes back to work.

I agree, if guests see that he's busy, then they should limit their time with him. I try to be mindful of that when I see him.

I can see how some people would think he was odd, but I have a brother with a personality close to his. So it's nothing new for me.

Say not in grief 'he is no more' but live in thankfulness that he was. - Hebrew proverb
    I believe in angels!

What am I? I am a Voyager. You ever hear of one?
    Bat's Breath!!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da Man View Post
    I dont get the whole Maynard thing at all...being a CM I've met him a couple times and just dont get, and I hear nothing but horror stories from people who work with him

Funny, from a CM perspective the first thing I thought was "This guy must me a pain in the arse to work with." Gotta love covering someone else's position while they try and get guest letters! Don't get me wrong, I love my guests and when I have time I go nutso over the top too, I have families that come back every year to find me; but there's a time and a place. At the end of the day, extra guest interaction is great, but it's the icing, not the cake. If every CM spent all their time taking goofy photo's, who would run the rides?
    The king and his men, stole the queen from her bed and bound her in her Bones. The seas be ours and by the powers where we will, we'll roam.

***Grumpy Alert***
    I think folks need to be careful about what they say about someone's work performance. I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone who has expressed an opinion of Maynard's job performance is his supervisor or lead. He may be doing exactly what he has been directed (or encouraged) to do. To make derogatory comments about him is unfair and unprofessional. And, if you are in a position of knowing about his job performance, then shame on you. It is a violation of Maynard's rights to be sharing this information.

As a guest, I have enjoyed interacting with Maynard a number of times. My daughters also look for him. It is part of the Disney magic for my family.

Blog Entries

Thank you, Disneyochem. I was thinking the same thing.

I've only had limited interaction with Maynard, but he has made a hit with my Youngest, and as a parent, his interaction was very magical. It is sad to see other cast members berating him.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Awright!

I will remember what cm's have said here, but I am still going to look for Maynard this trip. It will be like finding hidden mickeys.
    I will be respectful and try not to take him away from his duties if I am lucky enough to find him. I think I must check out the Tiki room.
    As you can see by my signature countdown I will be there in a few days. I can hardly wait.

Gramiangel420

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Girl View Post
    Funny, from a CM perspective the first thing I thought was "This guy must me a pain in the arse to work with." Gotta love covering someone else's position while they try and get guest letters! Don't get me wrong, I love my guests and when I have time I go nutso over the top too, I have families that come back every year to find me; but there's a time and a place. At the end of the day, extra guest interaction is great, but it's the icing, not the cake. If every CM spent all their time taking goofy photo's, who would run the rides?
    you hit it on the head here. I cant tell you how many times a guest has come up to ask him where a bathroom is or something, instead of giving a simple answer he does some odd dance and what not, and the guest just stands there looking confused, which leaves other CM's to pick up his slack. Im not saying he is a bad CM or person so calm down there, he has some cult following which is fine, but like Pirate Girl said, there are limits and he constantly ignores them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da Man View Post
    Im not saying he is a bad CM or person so calm down there, he has some cult following which is fine, but like Pirate Girl said, there are limits and he constantly ignores them.
    Whether you're right or wrong, you are criticizing a coworker by name in a public online forum, and that's just tacky.

Disneyland Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by wwomant View Post
    Whether you're right or wrong, you are criticizing a coworker by name in a public online forum, and that's just tacky.
    I disagree. On this forum, no one is speaking as a cast member, or an official Disney spokesman. But as a cast member, some people have more experience in certain areas, and in this case, someone simply has seen more of the behavior of Maynard than the typical guest sees. I see nothing wrong with any of these comments. I do see a little backlash from fans of Maynard, but I can also see how if you are not a fan of such behavior, it would get annoying very quickly.
    God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Well said Bytebear. My only 'encounter' with him was at the "50th" movie. He was over in the corner doing his 'thing' loudly enough that you couldn't hear the spiel the other CM was trying to do. Kind of annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by disneyochem View Post
    ***Grumpy Alert***
    I think folks need to be careful about what they say about someone's work performance. I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone who has expressed an opinion of Maynard's job performance is his supervisor or lead. He may be doing exactly what he has been directed (or encouraged) to do. To make derogatory comments about him is unfair and unprofessional. And, if you are in a position of knowing about his job performance, then shame on you. It is a violation of Maynard's rights to be sharing this information.

As a guest, I have enjoyed interacting with Maynard a number of times. My daughters also look for him. It is part of the Disney magic for my family.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Thank you, Disneyochem. I was thinking the same thing.

I've only had limited interaction with Maynard, but he has made a hit with my Youngest, and as a parent, his interaction was very magical. It is sad to see other cast members berating him.
    I have to agree with both disneyochem and Malcon10t on the job comments. I started this thread because the few times that we have seen him at DL, he has added just a little something magical to the encounters. This particular time, it was when people were just waiting in the Tiki Room courtyard for the next show to start. He entertained not only us, but other people in the area. When I have encountered him at HM, he kept very in character and just "creeped" around the stretching room. Personally, I feel that what I have seen him do fits with whatever attraction he is currently working.

I've had numerous encounters with Maynard and ALL of them have been wonderful. From the wonderfully fun and crazy "brothers" to a very serious discussion outside Mr. Lincoln. He has always made the trip just a little bit better. I appreciate that he goes above and beyond to make a guest's experience even more magical.

What I am sorry to see is other cast members putting him down for going the extra mile.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

BlkPearlCptn, I did not intend to put Maynard down for going the "extra mile" to make guests smile. My point in posting was to show that Maynard's antics were not appreciated by all. As has already been discussed, it can be annoying as a cast member when you are working hard to make sure that everyone is safe and moving through a parade area and realize that Maynard is missing from his post. Later you see him interacting and telling funny stories to people. While this is fine at the appropriate time, on the parade route you now have to cover his section as well as your own. Because of this you are doing all of the work of keeping the area safe but it is Maynard who gets all the guest compliments for not working as hard. I think this is why a lot of cast members get upset at Maynard and do not like working with him. I know many backstage feel that he should transfer to entertainment and not work in attractions.

Here's another perspective...my daughter and I went to Disneyland Friday. We encountered some WONDERFUL cast members who went out of their way to try (unsuccessfully) to help us find something we were looking to buy, and some who appeared to be less enthusiastic about it.

At World of Disney, we had a CM actually walk away from the counter where we stood waiting for help without ever acknowledging our presence. That CM spent the next five minutes or so talking to two more CMs, who didn't even glance at us waiting at the counter just a few feet away. At first, we thought it was so bizarre it was funny. But when a fourth CM went behind the counter and literally walked right past us to join that conversation, I had to call her back to ask for help.

So there we had four CMs totally not only NOT helping guests, but completely ignoring us, for whatever reason. They weren't entertaining guests, they were talking to one another. I wouldn't dream of listing their names on here with that complaint, and I suspect my doing so wouldn't be viewed as fair or appropriate.

One of Maynard's fans started this thread to discuss their positive experiences with him, and others (including me) joined in. It makes me very uncomfortable to have his colleagues posting negative remarks about an alleged dereliction of duty when I suspect many other CMs could be "guilty" of doing just what he is being accused of, but who don't have fans to lead to a very public discussion of their work habits.

Just my two cents...

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Tower of Terror is the best

Thumbs up

I saw him yesterday 8/14/2010 at the Tiki room on my way outta of the park this was close 11pm

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

I knew nothing of Maynard until these posts but it does sound like he has a big enough of a following and particular skills to give him a CM job in entertainment indeed. I also think that it is not cool to talk about a co-worker on a blog board. It's your right but I go off of my Mom's "If you have nothing nice to say...."

From reading these posts it makes me long for the days the CMs on the attractions were Pirates in POC, wild west folk in BTMRR, Spooky and pasty in HM etcetcetc....( I still see folks playing those parts from time to time) but for the most part now they just run the rides and that is OK with me since by noticing MOST patrons don't pay much attention to them anyway.

I agree with the lack of service in stores and restaurants ( I too have had to practically beg CMs to help me sometime but I have to be honest here, the behavior of the patrons at said places is FAR worse than the CM's working there and it must be difficult hiring people to keep those stores and restaurants full. Then again....I am mad.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadasaHatter
    From reading these posts it makes me long for the days the CMs on the attractions were Pirates in POC, wild west folk in BTMRR, Spooky and pasty in HM etcetcetc....( I still see folks playing those parts from time to time) but for the most part now they just run the rides and that is OK with me since by noticing MOST patrons don't pay much attention to them anyway.
    I still see CMs who play the part. The guys in Pirates are almost always "Argh"ing when I go, moreso if the lines are more manageable, but the best ones are in Haunted Mansion. Whenever it's a male CM who takes us down in the elevator, he's always speaking in a ghoulish manner, although sometimes the female CMs do it similarly. In May my mom and I loaded into our Doom Buggy, as it left the queue area, there was a male CM standing by the wall to the left, almost in the shadows, and he was just standing there with his head lowered slightly, giving everybody a playfully evil-looking stare as they'd go by. Whenever we go to Haunted Mansion, my mom always comments, "The people here like to really get into it."
    Facebook | My Disneyland Visits: 1980-83, 1985-87, 1989-95, 1997, 1998, 2003, 2005(x2), 2007-2009, 2010(x2).
    Robin Hood: "We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

Is it football season yet??

Lets revisit:

Bytebear:"I disagree. On this forum, no one is speaking as a cast member, or an official Disney spokesman. But as a cast member..."

That to me would be like speaking as a Cast Member.

Pirate Girl: "Gotta love covering someone else's position while they try and get guest letters!...extra guest interaction is great, but it's the icing, not the cake"

Its good to know where you stand on providing magic for your guests.

Its sad that you all would use this thread, that was to supposed to be kudos to a fellow cast member, to berate him because you feel as though you are picking up his slack. How glass half empty is that... he is providing what you should be focusing on. You have leads...talk to them if you have a problem but I would think twice about posting his name, talking bad about him, then signing your name to it.

I have encountered him many times and every time he had never deserted his position....he was adding to the "show".

Finding Nemo has forever changed the way that I say the word escape.

As was pointed out to me on the "people who want the halloween fireworks for all" board-
    This is a public forum and all types of opinions can and will be discussed.
    A fan of Maynard may have started this thread but the CM who work with him are allowed to post here too.

Personally i love when CM are in character so rock on Maynard, but working in a profession that requires team work i know what it is like to have to clean up after or cover someone elses duties. It can be stressful and annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Lilo143stitch View Post
    This is a public forum and all types of opinions can and will be discussed. A fan of Maynard may have started this thread but the CM who work with him are allowed to post here too.
    I couldn't have said it better!

Maynard has always been a polarizing figure on the boards - some folks love him, some not so much. I admit that I've never seen him in action. Yet, after years of hearing and reading about his exploits, it seems to me that he can go over the top at times, distracting from the show and moving the focus to him instead of the attraction he's working. Lots of people don't share this opinion, and that's just fine. I'd really like to meet the guy someday and further refine my opinions. But just because someone doesn't agree with you on this is no reason to cry foul and say that they don't have the right to express their opinion. They do.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I have seen Maynard a few times, he is great. It is CMs like him, and the ones on the Jungle Cruise, HM, and Pirates that make Disneyland such a fun place.

GO PADRES

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    But just because someone doesn't agree with you on this is no reason to cry foul and say that they don't have the right to express their opinion. They do.
    If you're referring to my post, I'm sorry if you took my words as saying I don't think people have the right to express a dissenting opinion. That's not the case at all.

My discomfort (and that's what I called it) comes from a public discussion of an identified cast member's alleged performance on the job from people representing themselves as fellow cast members. (And yes, I'm aware that if the thread makes me uncomfortable I can stop reading it, but I'm interested in the original topic, which was Maynard sightings.)

I don't have any problem with people disagreeing with me. Heck, I have a teenager. I'm used to it. I do question the wisdom (and ethics) of discussing a co-workers employment performance on a public Internet board.

I guess the big question is this: if Disney management were to become aware of these posts and were able to recognize the cast members who identified themselves as such and disparaged a specific, named co-worker on a public board, would there be repercussions?
    To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Maynard has always been a polarizing figure on the boards - some folks love him, some not so much. I admit that I've never seen him in action. Yet, after years of hearing and reading about his exploits, it seems to me that he can go over the top at times, distracting from the show and moving the focus to him instead of the attraction he's working. Lots of people don't share this opinion, and that's just fine. I'd really like to meet the guy someday and further refine my opinions. But just because someone doesn't agree with you on this is no reason to cry foul and say that they don't have the right to express their opinion. They do.
    I also don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions either! I work at a college with tenured faculty (!) in addition to having a teenager!

I also don't have a problem with people expressing their opinions either! I work at a college with tenured faculty (!) in addition to having a teenager!

My point is that people should not be discussing another persons's job performance. You can think that Maynard is great or not, but when you start bringing in personal and confidential information to the discussion, I feel that a line has been crossed. A person could speak in general terms about CM who don't do their jobs but to name a person is unprofessional and quite possibly illegal. Maynard or any other person on the boards should not have their names maligned by people who they themselves do not identify who they are but remain hidden behind user names.

Perhaps to even up the 'fairness' factor, those CMs who have dished Maynard's performance as a CM should list their names so we can have a discussion on the boards about how they perform in DLR.......

I'd love to be able to express those opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermommy View Post
    My discomfort (and that's what I called it) comes from a public discussion of an identified cast member's alleged performance on the job from people representing themselves as fellow cast members.
    I dunno - I think a fellow CM would have just as valuable an opinion as anyone else. And if a CM has a cute online nickname but then lets it out who he or she is to the general public, then they deserve everything they get coming to them for opening their big mouth about a work situation. I think of the CM's here more as anonymous sources of info rather than specific people who I might or might not know.
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I wish I knew about this site before going to Disneyland back in July (which now is part of the daily Internet surf, love this site) that would explain why people where going up to this guy and asking for his picture. I would have went up and talked to him. I just assumed he was just a cast member that people wanted a picture with in the Tiki Room...hahahaha now I know we is somewhat of a famous dude...