Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Maynard sightings

Maynard sightings

I searched and did not see a current thread on Maynard sightings. We saw him at Tiki Room last week. He came over and did a bunch of his voice commercials for us. My friend decided he reminded her of Robin Williams.

2. # ADS

So cool! I hope Maynard is around when my family and I go in Dec. And I hope that we get to see him. I love Maynard!

~ Aussie Caribou

We have never actually seen Maynard in all of the trips we've made. It is my goal this trip to see Maynard and perhaps get a photo with him.

Gramiangel420

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

If you get lucky and happen across him he is one of the most gracious CM's, he understands he has a 'following' of Disney geeks and is totally fun to talk to and he will pose for photos as you can see in my avatar...that's just one of several we took with him as Tiki boy, I have some from a trip several years ago when he was working the HM.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Quote Originally Posted by Gramiangel420 View Post
    We have never actually seen Maynard in all of the trips we've made. It is my goal this trip to see Maynard and perhaps get a photo with him.
    The tricky thing about finding him is that, as MammaSilva mentioned, he's not always in the same clothing. We've found him in the gallery where the bank used to be (and got a funny pic of him with a painting of Bruce the Shark); in the Opera House, and most recently, near the Tiki Room (see avatar).

He's done a stand-up routine for us in the gallery, and in the avatar picture experience, he jacked a parked stroller, removed the name from it, jumped in and had the Tinkerteen "push" him. (Of course, he put it right back and reinserted the name card.) He even makes sure you make your picture the best it can be. I'd zoomed in too much and cut off the wheels; he looked at the pic and suggested I pull back so you could see it was a stroller. D'oh...why didn't I think of that?

We're always very polite in asking, and he's been unbelievably accommodating and SO funny!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you to find him!
    To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Some people are worth melting for oregontraveler's Avatar

I finally saw him on the last day of my vacation at Tiki Room. Always ready to pose for pictures.

He is the best!!!! We saw him at the Tiki Room and waited while one show went in so that we could stay and talk to him longer. He is a blast!! (yep, see my picture too!).

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We've encountered Maynard on several trips now, and he's amazing. One visit was during the off season, and it was raining, a totally dead day at the park. He wasn't busy, so we got maybe 20 minutes to a half hour with him. He ran through all his voices and commercials for us, and we were enchanted the entire time. The man is a sweetheart, and vary gracious to his fans.

Say not in grief 'he is no more' but live in thankfulness that he was. - Hebrew proverb
    I believe in angels!

What am I? I am a Voyager. You ever hear of one?
    Bat's Breath!!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

The oddest encounter I've had with Maynard was at Walt Disney World. The husband and I were there a couple of years ago, at Animal Kingdom. We were walking back to the front of the park to meet up with some friends who live locally, and we happened to bump into Maynard. I think he recognized the husband and stopped him. Maynard knew our friends as well, so he came with us, and the five of us spent the day together at Animal Kingdom, with our friends serving as guides since it was the first trip to the park for the husband and me and Maynard as well. It was a lot of fun, and while we've spent a little bit of time here and there talking to Maynard at Disneyland about non-Disney stuff, it was a very different experience just hanging out with him as a regular person. He's much more shy than one might expect.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Ummm, besides the obvious 'cast member' and 'guy in our Avatar', who is he exactly? He does voiceovers? Like what/who? Don't mean to be dumb, just have only seen him in Avatars and mentioned once or twice in passing.

“I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

Oh, thank you! Interesting - a man of many faces! Will have to watch for him the next time we go...sigh...not for a while, yet!

“I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

I dont get the whole Maynard thing at all...being a CM I've met him a couple times and just dont get, and I hear nothing but horror stories from people who work with him

Maybe it's a different experience from the perspective of a guest. We've run into him three times, and each time, he had us in stitches. He's quirky and weird, and one of those one-of-a-kind characters that makes your pulse quicken when you see him and think, "Hey, it's Maynard!" He's never made us feel like he's too busy to give us a minute, and he always makes us laugh by doing something completely unexpected.

We've had enounters over the years with several cast members I'd describe as amazing, for different reasons. Each has done something magical, funny, or just plain unusual. I've been to Disneyland a bazillion times, but I remember all of their names and faces.

There are cast members who do just what they have to do to get by; there are cast members who do their jobs with enthusiasm and friendliness, and there are cast members who expend extra energy to make the guest experience magical and memorable. I'm sure there are many degrees in between. But I'd have to put Maynard in the magical and memorable category. I doubt he'd have the following he does if that wasn't the case. Just my two cents based upon my own experiences!

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da Man View Post
    I dont get the whole Maynard thing at all...being a CM I've met him a couple times and just dont get, and I hear nothing but horror stories from people who work with him
    Wow. I know a few cast members, and they love him too. I'm sorry you haven't had the positive experience he has given so many.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I can appreciate enthusiasm for the guests, as thats what everyone wants. I mean no one wants the rude CM who doesnt care, but Im no fan of Maynard.

Maynard was there during my tenure as a CM. I also heard that Maynard's coworkers weren't big fans, as they felt that his fame and silliness sometimes made them do his job.

Still, I've met Maynard a few times (both as CM and guest), and personally am a huge fan. One of the biggest compliments I ever got was from an Annual Passholder who had gotten to know me a bit and told me I was the next Maynard (to be fair, I'm nowhere NEAR as funny or photogenic).

I think that Maynard adds an element of true Disney Magic, as opposed to the manufactured (yet still effective) magic of everyday Disneyland.

If they don't already, perhaps management should plan schedules around Maynard's minor celebrity status so other CMs don't feel like they're picking up his slack. I would hate for Maynard to change.

I've worked in several theme parks and I can see both sides to this coin. I can remember "picking up the slack" when a guest would like to talk, thank or enjoy a CM. I have always found that if that CM would merely thank his co-workers, it goes along way to making the guests experience a team effort. I've never felt put out by someone else's 'fame'. But I sure can understand how during hot tourist months, with literally thousands of people breathing down your neck as they sweat in line, it can be hard to find the desire to pick up the slack. And yet, that's what made it all the sweeter when a standout CM would point me out and say, "Thank that CM too. They made this possible." Or that CM would thank me personally, perhaps buy me a soda for break.

I've been thinking, and perhaps we as quests could help too. Next time you are entertained by Maynard, find his co-workers and thank them too for making that special time possible. I'm sure it would go along way. (stepping down from my soap box now)

Just my humble opinion,
    GnP

Oops! I just re-read my post and it might sound like I think that Maynard doesn't do these things already. I'm sure he thanks his co-workers and realizes that they make the magic possible. Sorry if I didn't say that better.

GnP

I can appreciate enthusiasm for the guests, as thats what everyone wants. I mean no one wants the rude CM who doesnt care, but Im no fan of Maynard.
    I agree with you Tan Da Man. When I worked at the park having Maynard in your crowd control section for parades or fireworks was a disaster. He would just wander off and start talking to people while the walkway that he was supposed to be keeping clear filled up. No one would no where Maynard went and you would eventually have to go and cover his section as well as your own.

I really think that this man has a cult following of some passholders but other than that most people consider him odd or damaging to the show by some of the things he does.

This is an interesting topic because I too can see both sides of the coin. From a guest perspective, it always fun to have a cast member who has personality and loves Disney as much as us guests. I've met Maynard and think he did a fantastic job at hosting the Haunted Mansion. Particulary with his wide eyed stare as we walked through the entrance. It gave it an authenticity. But As someone who's worked on the Managerial side, it does create problems when one cast member doesn't tow the line between enthusiasm and making sure to keep up with responsibilities. So, I could see how this might be a nightmare if you're working with him. Especially with someone as enthusiastic as Maynard since it's easy to get caught up in entertaining a guest, then 5 min. goes by (an eternity in terms of maintaining a station or post) and other guests start to feel left out and frustrated due to a slow line.
    I think to help with this, Disneyland guests can do Maynard a service by enjoying his company while keeping in mind he has a job to do. Often if guests pick up on subtle clues from a cast member, they'd realise that the Cast member needs to continue with work. If the guest can make it easier on the cast member by not dominating his time that would help. And of course if Maynard and others like him just come up with a gracious way of excusing themselves when duty calls that would also help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuzcofan View Post
    Wow I didn't know his following was this big! I saw him last December by accident. DH and I were in the Tiki room and he was there. I thought... hmmm that guy looks familiar... oh it's Maynard! I just heard about him on here and had seen his picture. I tried to say hi but he had left after our show. He was really funny in the two minutes I saw him.

I remember a few years ago there was one cast member that stood out at the HM and was acting very "in character"... and I'm starting to think it was probably Maynard!

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We had the pleasure of "Tikki-Maynard" this morning around 10am!

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Tower of Terror is the best

Thumbs up

Maynard is a cool guy I saw him earlier this week and he was at the Tikki room

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    I really think that this man has a cult following of some passholders but other than that most people consider him odd or damaging to the show by some of the things he does.
    While I do think Maynard is entertaining, having seen and interacted with him in the Park on a few occasions, he does seem a little "different", and I get the feeling sometimes he doesn't know when to stop? JMHO.