Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Color: The Guide

Aussie Disney Dreamers TheCircus's Avatar

World of Color, what's the best way to see it?

Hi, we are heading to Disneyland at the end of November and this will be our first time seeing WOC.

What is a best option in your experience on when and where to see it?
    I've just read the guide that is posted on here but I wanted to get some actual experiences from people with kids!

Do we do one of the food options and get a pass that way or should we get a fast pass or are there other areas where you can stand or sit that are pretty good viewing spots so we don't have to get passes at all?

We are travelling with 5 kids from 17yr down to 22mths, will have a stroller too.

Thanks

Last edited by TheCircus; 10-02-2010 at 11:45 PM.

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCircus View Post
    Hi, we are heading to Disneyland at the end of November and this will be our first time seeing WOC.

What is a best option in your experience on when and where to see it?

Do we do one of the dinner options and get a pass that way or should we get a fast pass or are there other areas where you can stand or sit that are pretty good viewing spots so we don't have to get passes at all?

We are travelling with 5 kids from 17yr down to 22mths, will have a stroller too.

Thanks
    I've merged your thread into the existing thread on this show. Read the very first post in this thread, which should provide a whole lot of the advice you're seeking.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Got a quick question

Are the fast passes for the show still being taken up before the afternoon? If so then do they sell walk-up picknic lunches even if the online reservations are full?

I unfortunatly did not make online reservations for this thursday soon enough and looks like they are not available anymore for online reservation. Because it is our first day in the parks but my sister and family's last, we were planning to spend the first half of the day with them in Disneyland before they leave.

We could either:
    1. Start with them 2 hours later and get a fastpass at park opening
    2. Try for a walk-up lunch in the afternoon after they leave
    3. Try for a fastpass in the afternoon after they leave

Any ideas?

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

OR...you could all go into Disneyland and hang out but send one of your group over to DCA just before it opens to go pick up fast passes for your group. As long as your tickets/annual passes have been activated for the day at Disneyland the entire group doesn't have to go get the fast passes. Then whoever the designated runner is could come back and rejoin everyone for the rest of the visit.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    OR...you could all go into Disneyland and hang out but send one of your group over to DCA just before it opens to go pick up fast passes for your group. As long as your tickets/annual passes have been activated for the day at Disneyland the entire group doesn't have to go get the fast passes. Then whoever the designated runner is could come back and rejoin everyone for the rest of the visit.
    That is my plan

I am just wondering how hard it is to get in to see the World of Color now that peak hours are gone?

Are there still a bunch of crowds even mid week?
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post

I am just wondering how hard it is to get in to see the World of Color now that peak hours are gone?

Are there still a bunch of crowds even mid week?
    Short answer is yes, now that there is only 1 showing it is very competetive to get into that showing. I really regret not reserving the picnic 4 weeks before we left.

This is how our experience went tonight (Thursday, both parks open in the evening):

We went to DL to get our annual passes and decided to eat breakfast and wait for my Sister's family about 40 minutes before DCA opened. That was our main mistake, we should have gone to DCA immediatly at that point. After eating we traded off the little one as soon as they arrived and then both of us ran over to DCA (they said that we both needed to go or it wouldn't work). We got there just as the park officially opened.

The line was already through Condor Flats and back to the waterfall on the opposite side of Grizzly River Rapids. We waited in line for about 45 minutes from that point and ended up getting the Red zone (last set of tickets handed out). As we walked away they were already notifying people in line that they might not get a ticket (which was still back into Condor Flats). A cast member told me later that they probably turned away 900 people in line when the tickets ran out.

Later we started an informal line near the Golden Zephyr close to where the Red section entrance is 2 hours before show time. Good thing we did because the line grew very quickly behind us. We were the 2nd ones through the line and went to the 'gazebo section' and all the way to the left where it borders Yellow 1 hour before the show started.

The show was amazing. We had a good view of the water, but had a little hard time seeing some of the projections.

After all this we both decided that if we see the show again this trip it will only be *if* we can walk up and get a picnic lunch after they open (online reservations are already booked through the next few weeks already).

Basically if you are on the fence about buying a picnic and have the money to do that for each member in your party, just do it. We ended up spending $15 on Corn Dogs between us anyways for dinner. I would have given them $30 just for less of a hassle even if there was no food :P.

Thank you, Wedge! This is exactly what several of us have been hoping to get - an update on how WoC is going on the weeknights this fall.

Are they still showing the pre-show before the 8:15 show? And if they are, what time does it start?

there are always the nice sit down meals at where you get preferd seating thats the way we went will see if its worth it

Quote Originally Posted by ALB2277 View Post
    there are always the nice sit down meals at where you get preferd seating thats the way we went will see if its worth it
    We're doing the WoC meal at Ariel's next week. However, you don't get preferred seating at the show, the special area for the dinner meals is also standing only.

Let me/us all know if it is truly worth it the meal at Ariels and if the preferred seating is worth it or if it can be skipped.

Blog Entries

Does anyone know if TSMM is open during the WOC shows? How easy or hard is it to get from GRR around the lagoon to TSMM?

thanks!

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

Quote Originally Posted by emgm View Post
    Are they still showing the pre-show before the 8:15 show? And if they are, what time does it start?
    They didn't have any kind of pre-show when I saw it on Thursday. I have not seen the show on a weekend so I can't say if it was just a Summer or a Weekend thing.

Quote Originally Posted by twindaddy View Post
    Does anyone know if TSMM is open during the WOC shows?
    Not sure. It has been closed for the past few weeks for refurbishment. It opens again on Monday, but I may not be in the park at night to see if it is open. My guess would be that during the week it is not because the park closes at 8:00 and the show starts at 8:15.

Let me/us all know if it is truly worth it the meal at Ariels and if the preferred seating is worth it or if it can be skipped.
    I'd be happy to. There's also this great thread on seeing WoC using the dining option here:

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=147302

Also, remember it's not preferred "seating" - it's preferred "standing".

Quote Originally Posted by Wedge View Post
    They didn't have any kind of pre-show when I saw it on Thursday. I have not seen the show on a weekend so I can't say if it was just a Summer or a Weekend thing.
    Thanks! That helps. We're going to see WoC on Wednesday the 13th, with the Ariel's dinning package.

So we decided to go with the picknic reserved seating stuff so we could get a better viewing area.

I am wondering about when to pick up the meal and the passes. If you do it earlier in the day do you get a better viewing area than if you decide to pick up the meal an hour before the show.

Thanks

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

the picnic meals will get you in either the yellow or blue sections. What will determine your 'space' is how early you get in the line for your section. All the fast pass does is promise you a spot to stand in that color section, it doesn't promise you premium space to stand. We have gone 3 times and had different views all 3 times, none 'bad' just not what I considered reserved premium type views.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries
    The meal is very similar to the meal you get at the princess lunch. We have always enjoyed it. There is no seating. The area is less populated than the blue or yellow sections you get with the regular FP or the picnic lunch. The picnic choice is nice because you don't have to wait in line for the FP.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Is WOC really that spectacular? It seems like an awful lot of time, trouble and expense to see. I am going to the parks around Thanksgiving--there will be 3 adults and 1 16yr. old. Is it worth going to all the trouble of doing the picnic or fast pass? I know the parks will be busy that week and I am just wondering if it is really that drop dead fabulous. Honest opinion from anyone who doesn't have little kids? Is it a must-see or not?

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkareno View Post
    Is WOC really that spectacular? It seems like an awful lot of time, trouble and expense to see. I am going to the parks around Thanksgiving--there will be 3 adults and 1 16yr. old. Is it worth going to all the trouble of doing the picnic or fast pass? I know the parks will be busy that week and I am just wondering if it is really that drop dead fabulous. Honest opinion from anyone who doesn't have little kids? Is it a must-see or not?
    No kids here and my answer is YES! I loved it and we honestly didn't dedicate that much time to it. We had out picnic meals for lunch, so no more time taken away than normal (in fact it was faster because there was no line at all to get them) and we waited about 30 minutes to be let into the Yellow section (which was shorter than we waited in line for Toy Story) and then we were in the section for an hour before the show started. Since we don't have any kids neither of us mind taking a break for an hour (we got to sit for about 20 minutes) and chatting and having a snack.

Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post
    No kids here and my answer is YES! I loved it and we honestly didn't dedicate that much time to it. We had out picnic meals for lunch, so no more time taken away than normal (in fact it was faster because there was no line at all to get them) and we waited about 30 minutes to be let into the Yellow section (which was shorter than we waited in line for Toy Story) and then we were in the section for an hour before the show started. Since we don't have any kids neither of us mind taking a break for an hour (we got to sit for about 20 minutes) and chatting and having a snack.
    Let me see if I am following you.

1 - No line to get the picnic

2 - Waited 30 Minutes to get into your yellow section

3 - Then you waited in the yellow section for 60 minutes

So in all even with the picnic passes you got there and waited for the show for 90 minutes.

That seems like a lot of "dedicated" time to me

The web site picnic lunch ordering page has a link to see passholder discount prices, but every time I click on it, I just end up going in circles (it asks me to log in, even when I'm logged in). So I'm wondering, do passholders get a discount on the picnic lunches, and where do you enter this information when you place an order?

Last edited by Carla67; 10-13-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: typo! I left the "p" off "passholder". Very embarrassing!

♥ Disney Lover ♥ Jenasweetemotion's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Carla67 View Post
    The web site picnic lunch ordering page has a link to see passholder discount prices, but every time I click on it, I just end up going in circles (it asks me to log in, even when I'm logged in). So I'm wondering, do passholders get a discount on the picnic lunches, and where do you enter this information when you place an order?
    Yes AP's get a discounted price and I was logged in when I entered and the price went from $14.99 to $12.99.
    “Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard.” -Pooh

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    Let me see if I am following you.

1 - No line to get the picnic

2 - Waited 30 Minutes to get into your yellow section

3 - Then you waited in the yellow section for 60 minutes

So in all even with the picnic passes you got there and waited for the show for 90 minutes.

That seems like a lot of "dedicated" time to me
    This is my point exactly. I'm pretty sure my niece wouldn't invest 90 minutes to see the Jonas Brothers so I wonder if the show is that mind blowing to warrant the time spent. Waiting for a full hour after you are actually in the section sounds really long.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkareno View Post
    Waiting for a full hour after you are actually in the section sounds really long.
    And generally completely unnecessary for World of Color, at least in my experience. The longest I've waited once I got to my section was probably 10 minutes. I've not seen a need to get there that early to get a good spot to stand to see the show. The only time I could see that would be for the first show when there's a pre-show, but that's it.

Also, "is it worth the wait" is a totally subjective thing. Some people aren't show people, so even waiting 10 minutes would probably be too much for them. And for a Disney park, an hour wait really isn't that unusual. Many people wait that long, and even longer, for parades or Fantasmic or the fireworks. It's all a matter of how much a particular entertainment offering appeals to them.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    And generally completely unnecessary for World of Color, at least in my experience. The longest I've waited once I got to my section was probably 10 minutes. I've not seen a need to get there that early to get a good spot to stand to see the show. The only time I could see that would be for the first show when there's a pre-show, but that's it.

Also, "is it worth the wait" is a totally subjective thing. Some people aren't show people, so even waiting 10 minutes would probably be too much for them. And for a Disney park, an hour wait really isn't that unusual. Many people wait that long, and even longer, for parades or Fantasmic or the fireworks. It's all a matter of how much a particular entertainment offering appeals to them.
    Thanks for the info, with 4 kids standing and waiting is a bad idea. We will get our picnic's for lunch and then show up closer to the starting time.