Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Ramona and Beezus

Ramona and Beezus

Anyone else excited about this one? The trailer looks cute. I loved the books as a kid and also the TV mini series with Sarah Polley. And I just like movies based on great children's books!

2. # ADS

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

I think it looks super cute. I am always trying to turn my 3rd graders onto the Ramona books. In fact, a chapter from Ramona Quimby, Age 8 is in our reader. Does anyone remember when they made a show out of the series? This was probably 15-20 years ago!

It was in the 80s. That was the one with Sarah Polley. I wish they'd release all those episodes on a DVD set! I have a few of the videos that I found at a library book sale. I think it was third grade when I first read Ramona, and loved the whole series! I wish my books weren't still packed away, I'd like to reread them before seeing the movie.

When I first read them I was Beezus' age and my sister was Ramona's. I totally identified. What scares me now is that all the actors and actresses playing the parents and teachers are my age! When did I get old enough to be Ramona's mother? lol

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time; and for a brief moment we have been among its many passengers.

I never saw the tv series, but I very much enjoyed the books as a child. It's been decades, but thinking of the scene when Ramona suggests Beezus "turn on the dawnzer" (the thing that gives a "lee light") to read, still makes me smile. When my daughter was in kindergarten and we read all of the Junie B. Jones series, it occurred to me that Junie B. was a modern Ramona.

I also think Selena Gomez is very funny, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this!

To all who come to this happy place...quit stepping on the back of my shoes!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermommy View Post
    I never saw the tv series, but I very much enjoyed the books as a child.
    Heck, I never even KNEW there had been a TV series!

If I can get my 6 year old nephew to read Henry Higgins(?), then I'll probably take him to Grant Park (in North Portland) next 4th of July to go visit the statues they have there of a number of Beverly Cleary's characters. It's somewhat near Klikitat street.
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    If I can get my 6 year old nephew to read Henry Higgins(?), then I'll probably take him to Grant Park (in North Portland) next 4th of July to go visit the statues they have there of a number of Beverly Cleary's characters. It's somewhat near Klikitat street.
    I remember Henry Huggins, too! LOL...and his dog, Ribsy! I had no idea Klikitat Street was real!

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoppypooh View Post
    When I first read them I was Beezus' age and my sister was Ramona's. I totally identified. What scares me now is that all the actors and actresses playing the parents and teachers are my age! When did I get old enough to be Ramona's mother? lol
    I talked with my aunt about that. I'm Aunt Bea now!
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's the Multnomah County Library page about the Sculpture Garden, and on the right there are links to a map of the 'neighborhood' as well as pictures of the statues.

Cathy

Neat! I'll have to add that to my list of literary pilgrimages!

I have Beverly Cleary's autobiography, A Girl from Yamhill. A lot of things that she wrote about really happened to her when she was a kid!

Okay, saw the movie today. It was really good! Better than I was expecting! They pretty much combined six of the books into one story, but I thought they did a good job. It made me laugh and cry, a sign of a great story! I'll be seeing this one again.

I know this is kinda odd, but did they have the Halloween Parade? I don't know why, but that was always my favorite moment in the books.

"You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!"

No, they didn't put in anything from the first two books. My guess is because Ramona was four and five in those books and in the movie, she's nine.

Saw it today with my nieces -- 7 and 5 -- who are staying with us. The little ones LOVED it. I liked it. The Tinkerteen would have walked out if she thought she could get away with it, methinks.

I confess that for the first 10 minutes or so, I was thinking the dialogue was so lame I didn't think I could sit through an hour and a half of the same thing. But then it got cute, and fun, and funny, and I laughed out loud before I cried at the sad part.

If I could change one thing, it would be the exposition. There was a lot of, "Do you remember the time when..." that I felt they were trying too hard to appeal to the fans who remember the books. But that wasn't a big deal. It was cute. I probably won't buy it for us on dvd, but probably will as a holiday gift for the nieces, if it's out.