Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Going to WDW and taking kids out of school

Going to WDW and taking kids out of school

Ok, so my son is starting Kindergarten this year and we are planning a trip to WDW next november (2011). I live in Kentucky so I'm sure this varies from state to state and city to city, but was just wondering, for those of you that have gone to Disney while school is still in session, what has the response been from the school (teachers and principles)? I would think that if I tell them in advance that it wouldn't be a problem, but if he misses 5 days for vacation, I wonder if they will have a problem with it. Wanted to know your alls opinions and experiences before I go and say something to the teacher. I know this is far in advance but I plan very ahead and want to try and tie down a week that we are going for sure.

Thanks

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Here's an article with input from a number of people on the topic.

From reading MP for a while, I know it varies GREATLY by teacher, school (principal), district, and state - as well as time of the year. Also, do you know for sure who his teacher will be next year?
    Cathy

Thanks so much! That article was exactly what I needed. I don't know who his teacher will be next year, but you can bet that as soon as I find out which one he will have I will be talking with her at Open House and preparing her for the trip.

Are you from New Orleans? My husbands family lives in Covington. He was born there but his Parents moved him to Kentucky when he was around 8. We still go down there to visit family every other Christmas. I Love New Orleans, I would pick up and move there if we didn't have so many family member here. It's our second home!

Thanks for the help!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If I hadn't found that article, I was going to recommend the topic for that series. It's a subject that parents have to deal with often!

I live in Metairie - but I'm not 'from' here.

I went to High School in Oregon, and unless you went to High School here, you really can't say you're 'from' New Orleans.

Cathy

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I'm in California so I don't know what the differences are in Kentucky but I can tell you that if you DON'T notify the school ahead of time and are absent for 3 or more days, the absence is considered truant. The schools would much rather issue an independent study contract (which is the formal term in California for "homework when they're on vacation or out of school for 3+ days,) than deal with a truancy.

And like I said in the article: Give them as much notice as you can, that way if they do need to put together the work and contract, they'll have time to get it done. That will get you lots of "points".

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

What Adrienne said. In the '80s and early-90s, all of our trips to Disneyland where during the school year in order to avoid crowds, so my parents would have to take my brother and I out of school. Even though we'd only be gone a few days, my mom would just notify the school that we'd be gone for a week and have us put on Independent Study. Before I'd leave, my teacher would just give me a package comprising the weeks' assignments. It was never an issue for the school.

Facebook | My Disneyland Visits: 1980-83, 1985-87, 1989-95, 1997, 1998, 2003, 2005(x2), 2007-2009, 2010(x2).
    Robin Hood: "We never rob. We just sort of borrow a bit from those who can afford it."

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

As a 3rd grade teacher, I'd say go for it. I don't have a problem with a week missed in grades K-3- as long as the kid is a decent student and doesn't miss a lot of school otherwise. After 3rd grade, I think it gets harder and harder for them to catch up- so it really would depend on the kid.

What I like is a heads up at the start of the year. I won't remember the dates, but I will remember you told me! Then a reminder email about 2-3 weeks ahead of time helps me remember it is coming up. I would follow up a 2-3 days ahead of time (again- email is fine). Usually at this point, the kid has reminded me 1,000 times, so I don't really need it- but it is helpful. Some districts and/or teachers do not provide work ahead of time as a policy. If that is the case, just set aside some time for when you come back. I will provide some work ahead of time, but it is maybe 1/4 of what we are actually doing. A lot of what we do has to happen in class- so I just excuse them from it (if the kid doesn't generally miss). For example, we work a lot on "good paragraphs" in 3rd grade so I always have the kids write me 3 good paragraphs on 3 interesting things they learned or saw. This takes place of the writing grades for the week.

Different districts have different policies about excused and unexcused absences so I'd check into that, just so you know what to expect.

As other posters have said, different districts have different policies. Some districts are very cautious about absences because it affects their funding, which is based on attendance. I would recommend sounding it out with your child's teacher once you know who that will be.

Personally, now that my twins are starting high school (ulp!) this fall, I will have to be a *lot* more careful about pulling them out of school. We have always had a day or two (or maybe a week) here and there--giving teachers advance notice and working it out for the kids to either take work with them, do it ahead of time, catch up when we return, or have alternative assignments. One teacher did ask me to not tell the *kids* beforehand because they were always too excited to focus when they knew they were leaving for a Disney trip.

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Blog Entries

When we pulled DD out of kindergarten for a week for a cruise, she was technically only missing four days (there was a pupil free day in there for some reason). We are required to tell the school about an absence of 5 days or more. Mom told the teacher anyway -- she strongly hinted (i.e. without actually saying it, but making her meaning clear) that we should basically call DD in sick for the week. Apparently, the school gets its funding if kids are sick, but not if they're on vacation.

I think we got her week's homework packet ahead of time & finished it before we left on our cruise.

Team Happy Place - Winners Spring 2009 MouseAdventure: Trains, Trams & Monorails
    Would rather be looking at the back side of water...
    Everything in life is only for now.
    Nope - it never ends.

"Apparently, the school gets its funding if kids are sick, but not if they're on vacation."

Each school district IS different!! Our school does NOT get funding even if the child is sick but will get funding if the child misses 5 or more days of school and we complete and sign an independent study contract.

BTW, we're pulling DD out of 3rd grade at the end of September for a trip to WDW to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!!!

Another factor is the possible, cumulative, effect of the total number of absences, at the end of the school year. After a certain number of days, even if excused, absences, we need to have a doctor's note for any days off. That is apparently a state requirement. The school is even required to send out letters, if you haven't hit the magic number; we got one once when my kid was several days short of the limit, and all absences were excused, and she was never tardy. I suppose you could get around that for a family emergency, but not a vacation. I have taken the kids out during kindergarten, but not more than a day or two after that. Last year, my daughter got sick Labor Day weekend, and was diagnosed with pneumonia on the first day of school. She missed a significant amount of school, the first month of the school year. I remember thinking I was glad that was not the year I planned to take the kids out of school for vacation time, after she racked up so many sick days so early. If your child is sick more than a few days, early in the school year, you may have a harder time from the district to take vacation time later in the school year. If you take the vacation early, and then the kid misses a lot of days, you may have to deal with doctor's notes later in the school year, even if the sick day should not require a doctor's visit.

Over the years, we've developed something of a reputation for travel (Disney in particular), so having the kids miss a day or two on one side of a weekend hasn't been unusual. This point came home to roost last spring, when I picked up the twins about an hour before school ended--for the beginning of a 4-day weekend (when we weren't going anywhere!). Their science teacher looked at them and said, "So, where are you going now?" and they truthfully answered, "The orthodontist!"

When my daughter and I went to the Princess Half Marathon in the spring, we skipped all mention of going to a Disney destination; she simply said she was participating in a half marathon with her mom and cousins that weekend. Makes it easier sometimes...

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Quote Originally Posted by shna View Post
    When we pulled DD out of kindergarten for a week for a cruise, she was technically only missing four days (there was a pupil free day in there for some reason). We are required to tell the school about an absence of 5 days or more. Mom told the teacher anyway -- she strongly hinted (i.e. without actually saying it, but making her meaning clear) that we should basically call DD in sick for the week. Apparently, the school gets its funding if kids are sick, but not if they're on vacation.

I think we got her week's homework packet ahead of time & finished it before we left on our cruise.
    That's what the "strong hint" from our area too.. Plus the local T.O.'s too. We are mostly farmers and workers so off time for everyone else is the ONLY time of year we have off too. Everyone knows ahead and gives out the work, we finish before hand and turn it.
    Even the local HS has no problems as long as you get the work done and are a good student.
    now if it's testing week or something important they do get bent if you miss that.

It all depends on the kids and school as the right thing to do.

I do know we have to have doc notes for all visits, and they do send our letters in our area, mostly because we have a lot of traveling workers and kids miss alot of school do to that.

If we get one we contact the local officer and let them know what it was all about. Ie sick, doc, vaction and they are really great about it. Most times if I call them I get a giggle and they tell me not to worry about it.
    They mostly check your kids grades and see if it's really a problem or just your normal kid sick/family trip thing.

I do love our school area. Nice to know all the teachers and family's. (small town)

Quote Originally Posted by Three Bears View Post
    "Apparently, the school gets its funding if kids are sick, but not if they're on vacation."

Each school district IS different!! Our school does NOT get funding even if the child is sick but will get funding if the child misses 5 or more days of school and we complete and sign an independent study contract.

BTW, we're pulling DD out of 3rd grade at the end of September for a trip to WDW to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary!!!
    Ours is the same way. I've been toying with the idea of taking the kids to WDW next fall (okay its a now or never thing between orthodontist bills and nursing school). We want to go for 2 weeks, but as of now we don't get a fall break other than Thanksgiving. I'm going back and forth between overlapping our trip with Turkey day or Xmas, going over the 2 weeks of Xmas break, or just taking them out of school for 2 weeks in October before DD turns 10.... Decisions, decisions.....
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by foolishmortal View Post
    now if it's testing week or something important they do get bent if you miss that.
    We missed testing week in April for DL. When we figured it out, I mentioned it to both teachers and made the suggestion of providing the work for the following week which was test make-up week. That way we'd have work done ahead for when they would be taken out of class for testing. (The year before G and B had testing the same week we were leaving friday mornig early. We just made arrangements for them to finish all tests early that week.) So, monday evening of our trip, we check the house voicemail and there is a message from the middle school, why is N out today? (It was the secratary, who was out the day I turned in the Independent Study contract to the principle and teacher. I wanted to avoid her truth be told.) Then tuesday morning I was going to call her mid-morning, but she called me on my cell phone, as we were on Casey Junior.

I had already been told by the Elementary Secretary, they were not worried about my kids missing school.