Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Breastfeeding in the park

Obsessed Pre-vacation Planner

Breastfeeding in the park

My wife was always just a little more bold about whipping out dinner for the babies then I liked, but we managed to find several nice places where mom could take care of the baby's needs and maintain a sense of privacy.

The best place we ever found was the alternate viewing area for Finding Nemo. The room is big enough that you can wheel in strollers, and it amounts to 15 or so minutes of uninterrupted privacy.

2. # ADS

As I posted in a Disneyland thread on the Finding Nemo alternate viewing experience (or M.O.O.), this was my favorite place to breastfeed too.

My son primarily took bottles filled with room temperature water so we could feed him more or less anywhere.

My daughter had much, MUCH pickier standards so it was a lot easier to nurse than to run to the baby center to warm her formula. I discovered that with a sling and a cover she could easily nurse on the go. Since she usually would fall asleep afterwards I often kept the wrap on to keep the sun out of her eyes. Or I would slide it behind me and call it a cape. I neither know nor care how this looked to other people, but it did lead to an amusing experience when going through the bag check to get into the park. The security person didn't quite know what to do and very gently asked "um, is there a baby in there?" I said yes, that she was sleeping. The checker seemed relieved! Something similar happened on Midway Mania, but that person was just doing their job since they don't/didn't like babies in slings on the ride.

The entire time I breastfed in public the only comments I overheard were positive. The funniest was when I was in the car late at night, and someone walked by and pointed it out to the person she was with and said how wonderful it was. Um, you do know I can hear you, right? At least she was saying nice things.

I love that duck.

Smile

I found nursing to be quite easy at the parks. We do use the baby care centers, but often I prefer to be with my husband or to be doing stuff, especially if it is a week night and we're only going to be at the park for a few hours. These are some of the best attractions I've found:

At Disneyland, we like the Tiki Room, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion the best - they are really easy, pleasant places to nurse. At DCA, well, let's just say I have the movie in the Blue Sky Cellar memorized. It's tough to be a bug DIDN'T work for us - too many startling sounds.

At WDW, there are lots of shows, so that made feeding my DS really easy last summer. At EPCOT, I fed him at The American Adventure, France, and on Spaceship Earth. At the Magic Kingdom, we saw Mickey's Philharmagic - I actually spoke to a cast member and she let us just sit through two shows in a row - which was nice. We also used The Country Bear Jamboree, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and The Hall of Presidents. Animal Kingdom - we nursed in The Finding Nemo musical, and on this round bench right outside of Kilimanjaro Safari. Disney Studios - Again, any of the shows (Voyage of the Little Mermaid, especially) as well as The Great Movie Ride.

In addition, it is easy to find a bench.

Geez, it seems like all I do is nurse!!!

The Cosmos, a universe of good and
    evil, where a small group struggles to
    bring freedom to countless worlds of
    despair - a rag-tag band led by the
    infamous Captain EO.

Hands-down, my favorite breastfeeding spot was on the bottom floor of the Hungry Bear restaurant, way in the very back corner. I would sit facing the river, using the low wall there as a footrest.

It was usually so quiet and peaceful there. And shady, of course. And the view! That spot has such a great view of the river, and when the Mark Twain comes sailing by, it is really magical.

Strangest breastfeeding experience was one time in California Adventure, when a strange man sat down and randomly struck up a long, long conversation with me. It was a relief when his family finally returned and he had to leave. I wasn't sure how I was going to unlatch the baby without flashing him - which may have been what he was hoping for, I guess!

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

The only time in my entire nursing "career" that I ever remember hearing anything critical wasn't at Disneyland, it was at a local mall. My mom and I had gone shopping for the afternoon and Cman needed to nurse (Yep, #3.) I found a bench on the upper floor of the mall, sitting with my back to the people walking behind the bench, overlooking the first floor of the mall. I was sitting on the edge of the bench near a big tree bush thing. I was nursing while my mom and the older two boys were hanging out nearby - on and around the bench with me. I was as

We were supposed to be running a rather quick errand so I wasn't expecting to need to feed him.

I didn't have a blanket with me but the way he was laying, he and my shirt covered everything that needed to be covered from the top and the sides. As I sat there, a security guard who looked VERY young (if he was 21, I'd be shocked,) came up behind me and said "Do you have a blanket or a t-shirt or something to cover yourself?" (I was covered by the shirt I was wearing so he must've meant the baby.) And I said "Nope!"

He continued on his way and didn't push it beyond that. I often wonder what he would've said if I'd said "yes, but I'm not going to." In the State of California, it's legal to breastfeed in any place where it is otherwise lawful for a person to be.

I was never a radical breastfeeder. I did know my legal rights, though. One time I did see a mother at the San Diego Wild Animal Park who I felt was being inappropriate. But the problem is that in any situation, won't there always be one? I'd rather that she have the right to embarrass herself than everyone else be forced to go back to a time where women were sent off to a back bedroom as if they were doing something shameful.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I love the baby center in summer. They have the BEST air conditioning in there. I'll even admit that there was a few times when I told my husband that baby had to eat when he probably really didn't just so I could go sit in there for a while.

I had a run in with a BFing critic at the mall too. I was 21 yo old, new mom. DD was a couple of months old and I was in SF Xmas shopping. I went to the ladies lounge in Nordstrom and found myself a seat on the couch. An older lady yelled at me for being indecent and that I should be doing that in the "mother's room"....which was a 2'x2' room with a chair, a dim light and a door. My stroller wouldn't even fit in the room! I told her off and that if it was "indecent" for my infant to have lunch than she shouldn't be eating in public either. I was more comfortable sitting on the couch so if she had a problem with it, SHE could move! She did... Personally, I thought that her taking off her shoes and putting her feet up on the coffee table was more inappropriate than BFing my 2 month old!

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I had a run in with a BFing critic at the mall too. I was 21 yo old, new mom. DD was a couple of months old and I was in SF Xmas shopping. I went to the ladies lounge in Nordstrom and found myself a seat on the couch. An older lady yelled at me for being indecent and that I should be doing that in the "mother's room"
    Ok, so - You are in a BATHROOM, a nice, quiet place that is a lot less public (I recognize that Nordstrom restroom lounges are nice places - I've actually stopped with my kids in there to nurse a baby there before) - and she STILL yelled at you?

There aren't enough eyerolls for that. Where do people come off thinking that it's ok to verbally harass someone like that? I don't get it.

I do "get" to some extent that there are people who are uncomfortable around nursing mothers. My own grandmother had a very difficult time with my nursing and I have to say that I probably was not as compassionate towards her as I could have been. But there is no reason for going after a young mother in a quiet but public "lounge".

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Not a mother - but been around enough breast-feeding moms to want to express my opinion here.

The Nordstrom women's lounge is about the ONLY restroom I would even come close to suggesting for breast feeding. Maybe a couple other department stores of that same level, or a super nice hotel, but - nobody should be 'forced' to eat in a restroom.

Cathy

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

Just a few weeks ago I was in DL with my cousin who is breastfeeding. Aims had one of those covers and when the baby would get fussy Aim just pulled her cover out where ever we were in line at, sit out and found a wall to sit on.
    She did not like the idea of the Baby Center for the same reason as many of you, it was to secluded and she wanted to be with the whole family.

As for 3P1p- I can't believe she yelled at you. Thats just rude and uncalled for.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

I have nursed all over DL / DCA as well. I had those nursing tank tops, and a shirt over, so it was pretty hard to show much.

Small World, Pirates, Train, quiet benches, Baby Care centers, outside Innoventions (away from the exit but with a great view of TL), Animation Building in DCA...can't think of others...but I am sure I've done it.

The most difficult thing about the babycenter is that if you have more than one child you can't use it when you are by yourself, which for me would be almost all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I had a run in with a BFing critic at the mall too. I was 21 yo old, new mom. DD was a couple of months old and I was in SF Xmas shopping. I went to the ladies lounge in Nordstrom and found myself a seat on the couch. An older lady yelled at me for being indecent and that I should be doing that in the "mother's room"....which was a 2'x2' room with a chair, a dim light and a door. My stroller wouldn't even fit in the room! I told her off and that if it was "indecent" for my infant to have lunch than she shouldn't be eating in public either. I was more comfortable sitting on the couch so if she had a problem with it, SHE could move! She did... Personally, I thought that her taking off her shoes and putting her feet up on the coffee table was more inappropriate than BFing my 2 month old!
    Sadly I was only able to bf my baby for 3 months....I couldnt produce enough but I enjoyed those 3 months a lot.

My mom and I went shopping at the mall and my baby got hungry.....we were at JcPenney and I went into one of the large fitting rooms and closed the door and fed my baby.....I was there about 15 mins. When I came out a worker was out there and she gave me a dirty look.......I didnt know what to say so I just apologized and said I didnt see anywhere else to feed her.....well I was upset because she was so rude and made me feel so horrible.....BUT some other lady spoke up and said "Dont apologize, she should apologize for being so rude, and good for you" the worker just stared away and left....I really wish I could still bf.....

Passing the Disney-love to my babies lauramaynot's Avatar

I am an allover nurser as well, but my specific fav. spot is the mainstreet cinema that plays the old micky cartoons. It is dark and quiet. I like to sit on the floor in there and do my thing...Usually while DH has the big kids shopping or smashing pennies for me. I have never had a bad comment in my whole nursing career and I am not a coverer uper - my kids just fight it so we make less commotion without fighting over a blanket.

Laura ~ Mom of 5 future Mouseplaneteers
    Progress is not just moving ahead...It's dreaming and working and
    building a better way of life - Carousel of Progress

I am glad to see this thread.
    I am still nursing my 2 year old, and he is a really big guy. We're planning our first trip with him to DL soon. Even though he only nurses at rest and bed time here at home, I know he'll get tired and overstimulated and want that downtime at the park. Any suggestions for a quiet corner to nurse an older kid without stares or rude comments? Rides won't work so much. (Been to DL a million times, but never with an eye towards good BFing spots. ;-)

Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ferliemom View Post
    I am still nursing my 2 year old, and he is a really big guy. We're planning our first trip with him to DL soon. Even though he only nurses at rest and bed time here at home, I know he'll get tired and overstimulated and want that downtime at the park. Any suggestions for a quiet corner to nurse an older kid without stares or rude comments? Rides won't work so much. (Been to DL a million times, but never with an eye towards good BFing spots. ;-)
    Baby Center and the Observation room at Nemo Subs are your best bet. The baby center allows mom and child only so it will not be a problem. The Observation room is on the right hand side and is meant for disabled guests and claustrophobic guests but moms like that room because they get privacy and the little ones get a show on a screen. Innoventions upstairs is dimly lit and semi private in a few places.

Thanks for the tips.
    How do you enter the Nemo Observation area? Through the line, exit, etc?
    Thanks!

I nurse my 17 month old son in the park whenever we go. I've never had a problem with people staring or rude comments. I love the baby center, but sometimes it is just too far of a walk for us. I often use my stroller parked in front of me to kind of block the view.
    Nichole

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the tips.
    How do you enter the Nemo Observation area? Through the line, exit, etc?
    Thanks!
    Check this thread for instructions on entering the Marine Observation Outpost.

The one thing I can say about the Observation area is that sometimes there can be a wait to get in (if someone else is already using it). It's not necessarily long, but if you baby has to eat NOW, you might bear that in mind.

It's a lovely quiet place, though. I use it to stretch my back.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Back in the 90's... when I was a teenager... I did have a mom (who had an accent... something like Swiss maybe) totally have her shirt lifted up and was very much exposing a breast. I was young and it was embarassing I really thought she shouldn't be doing it - not so much that it was daylight and in line, but that she wasn't trying to hide the boob. Now, as a mom, I really do think a mom should be able to nurse wherever. . . and if the oddball wants to let things flap around too much, better that than women not nursing as needed.

I did once, when I was about 8 months pregnant with my first, see a man make a HUGE ridiculous deal out of a mom who was nursing. We were in a Carrow's-like restaurant and there was a mom at another table nursing- TOTALLY covered, it was under a blanket, and this JERK made LOUD comment after comment about it, and then after his LARGE party was seated said "that's DIGUSTING" and requested to move tables. I was SO mad he's really lucky my hormones didn't have my really fly off the handle... but I don't regret that I know he heard me utter "Idiot".

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier

Quote Originally Posted by Teddi View Post
    I did once, when I was about 8 months pregnant with my first, see a man make a HUGE ridiculous deal out of a mom who was nursing. We were in a Carrow's-like restaurant and there was a mom at another table nursing- TOTALLY covered, it was under a blanket, and this JERK made LOUD comment after comment about it, and then after his LARGE party was seated said "that's DIGUSTING" and requested to move tables. I was SO mad he's really lucky my hormones didn't have my really fly off the handle... but I don't regret that I know he heard me utter "Idiot".
    Hey! I see you live in Concord. Sigh. We moved from there in 2008. I lived near the corner of Treat and Clayton and still keep up with the goings-on there.

At any rate, I used to ride BART to San Francisco every day with my kids. I nursed the second one on the train all the time. While pregnant, I mentioned to a friend of mine (who rode the train with us a lot) that I would nurse on the train and she looked a little paniced at the thought. Then after the baby was born she became pretty relaxed about it. At one point, we were talking and she mentioned he was having some milk with his cheerios. I only ran into one person who seemed to have a problem with it, and he just got up and moved after I sat in the seat next to him. I did get a TON of supportive comments. While I didn't cover up with a blanket (just seemed too stuffy to me), I did make sure that my clothing or the baby covered everything.

I was one of those nurse anywhere (though discretely) people. I carried around a copy of the text of the law in my diaper bag the whole time I was nursing. Never ONCE did anyone tell me I couldn't/shouldn't be nursing somewhere. I was all prepared for nothing.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

I've never breastfed at Disneyland, but I thought I'd throw out that during the day Carnation Plaza is usually quite slow and you could probably find a shady place there to nurse. Of course, it's been years since I've been to Disneyland, so maybe that's not the case anymore.

Blog Entries

Ladies, how about the back of Carnation Cafe after is closes for the day? I have wheeled my jogging stroller back there to let the twins sleep before the parade, it was dark and pretty private, usually the people walking to that bathroom didnt even notice me sitting in the corner.

Rancho Del Zocalo has many dark and quiet corners...I think the best spot someone mentioned was the bottom of the hungry bear. Quiet, secluded, peaceful...

Its amazing to hear some of the stories of rude comments, people can be so dumb.

What a wonderful thread this is, twinwife was a real trooper and nursed until around one. I still remember her sobbing in the hospital, pumping on an industrial pumper, and getting literally a drop, while her roomate who was on baby six was like a freakin' dairy. About a week after the twins arrived, she started producing like a champ! The nurses kept telling her not to give up, keep going, I am so proud of her for not giving up..

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."