Quantcast Disneyland Resort The Toddler Easy Street (Bypassing Height Restrictions)
  Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World | User Reviews | Travel
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 124

Thread: The Toddler Easy Street (Bypassing Height Restrictions)

  1. #1

    The Toddler Easy Street (Bypassing Height Restrictions)

    Now, let me make this clear, this is for toddlers that measure 40"+ with shoes on... on that rare occasion where they actually decide to stand up straight.

    Use this advice at your OWN risk, and don't be lazy, ride the ride holding onto you child... don't let a under 18 year old friend/relative ride with your child. If your child is pushing the limit you need to be holding onto him/her or you are just plain stupid. -- As a reference, my 4yr old measures just over 42" now barefoot.. but I will still will not ALLOW him to ride with his 10yr old cousin on Big Thunder Mountain (or any other roller coast- even the Toon Town one) because he will still bounce around and CAN fall out the side because of lap height of the retaining bar. Don't be an idiot, protect your child, just offer him/her the fun that can be had with YOUR arms around them.


    Now since Im done with the idiot (disclaimer) wording that seems to be required now (such a sad world, I recommend you do not follow my advice as I will not take responsibility for you not protecting your child).

    ------

    So, here is the VERY interesting truth of the DLand measurements and how your child that IS tall enough to get in. (And a bit of cheat sheet for those 1-2 inches short).

    The measurement sticks at DLand/DCA are not accurate... Ive taken tape measures to them, even argued with the Managers and made them retrieve their OWN (DL issued) tape measures.. and believe me they aren't correct... mostly it involves the tile/concrete/whatever under the measurement device unevenness. The ONLY measurement stick I've found to be accurate is the one OUTSIDE of "Star Tours" (and to the left).

    Now, here is the fun... MOST Geox Shoes have a +1 inch heel on them. They are great shoes for children...last long and are usually +0.5 over sized so they last a long time.

    The measurement bars on Tower of Terror, Soaring over California, Big Thunder Mountain, Space Mountain are ALL taller than 40 inches. A few of them have placed plastic attachments to TRY and get it closer to the 40 inch mark but its still off because of uneven ground. The measurement bars once inside the ride are the correct height, you just have to get in the door.

    Now, how can you get in the door?

    There are 3 options.

    Option #1
    A GAC (Guest Assistance Card) - This is the MOST difficult option... My son doesnt like to me measured 20-30x in one day, the random CMs grabbing his face and trying to stretch him just plain doesnt work. It takes time @ City Hall as their is no GAC option for height. BUT If you are willing to put in the time and your child is tall enough you can explain that your child cannot be handled by all the random CMs to measure him/her all day to prove the height.

    Option #2
    Premium Shoes - For girls they have the Skechers "Pretty Talls", they add 1 inch height, for boys or (even girls) most Geox brand shoes have a 1 inch heel.

    Option #3
    Using the +1 inch heel shoes (Skechers - you can take a magic marker to the pink threading on the girls shoes / or Geox), pull the liner out of a old pair of shoes (a smaller size), get your hands on some stiff foam (0.5" think and cut to shape of the shoe heel (about 2-3 inches long) and taper at the end. Place the shoe liner over the top and place inside the shoe. You will HAVE to carry your child as walking will be awkward. This will add 0.6" - 0.8" depending on the shoe liner thickness used... You can add additional height in 0.1" increments with bits of foam however your childs foot must still fit in the shoe and not make them hurt. (Usually can only get 0.1- 0.2 inches extra). Stand up your child at the ending measurement stick and you are good to go.

    The biggest trick is feet together, back straight against the pole... worst case MOST Disney employees dont notice your child on tip toes...


    ---

    Yes I understand those that will disagree with this.. HOWEVER, Im paying $439 a year for my child premium pass... He is capable and WANTS to ride Space Mountain, Tower of Terror, Big Thunder Mountain. He never rides it without my arm around him and as such the fact Disney can't measure isn't my fault. -- On a side note, I usually take him to Tower of Terror early in the AM and tell him to slouch, they will hand out a "special" fast pass good for 6 people for when he is "tall enough" later in the day. Its really SAD I had to come up with these ways to get him on the rides when he measures up since the DLand bars dont measure correctly.

    Last edited by Aysle; 07-07-2010 at 04:22 AM.

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Posts
     

  3. #2
    Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Being thankful for the gift of time.

    ONYD just suggest to people that they go ask for a G.A.C. to get a CHEAT to get their child on a ride they are too short for? Seriously? It's this kind of abuse that makes the program even more difficult for those who honestly need an alternate waiting/entrance since that would be the stamp that would 'bypass' the measuring sticks.

    The magic shoe trick has been around forever, I don't necessarily agree with that one either but I will say that if a parent goes and buys a well fitting pair of shoes that increases their childs height by 1/2 to a full inch then the child can still balance themselves and 'push down' with their feet and still be safe as opposed to those who spike hair or put napkins inside their shoes to lift the kid.

    No one is 'entitled' just because they paid xxx to enter the parks...each attraction has restrictions based on safety for the riders.

    I'll stop now before I get a PM reminding me about the community policies.

    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

  4. #3
    Runner
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePad Community Leader
    stan4d_steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    East Bay Area, CA
    Blog Entries
    69

    I think advocating that people cheat is pretty low. Also, holding onto your child will not save him/her in the event of a sudden stop. Physics wins that battle every time.


  5. #4

    Cheating disney is evil..... I agree GAC cards are for the disabiled not the cheaters. My fiancee needs one and it's getting harder and harder to get one with the games people play that don't need one.

    If smaller aviators don't measure up to the hieght requirement put the strap through the buckle and place him back in the stroller or on the nearest bench. He can ride next year when he is tall enough and it is safe.


  6. #5

    Oh wow. Ok, so here's my issue with this...

    I topped out at 4'11". I'm a shorty. Therefore, I had to wait a little longer to ride some rides at DL. Yes, I was the owner of some slightly chunky sneakers, but that's as far as we ever went. My parents were not willing to risk my safety or the saftey of other riders--and you ARE putting other riders at risk here. I am an engineer. After spending a lot of time in physics classes I can tell you that those requirements are there for a reason.

    The idea that you love Disneyland enough to have an annual pass and yet you cheat the system as you stated above is really beyond me. The misuse of the GAC program is simply wrong. Add to that your promotion of tricking CMs to give you FPs? I really don't think this is the kind of behavior that people on these message boards promote.

    Someday when I'm taking my own kids (who are likely doomed to be short) I will simply tell them that Mickey and the Imagineers set the rules to keep them safe and that there are plenty of other rides to enjoy. End of story.

    Keep Moving Forward!

  7. #6
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    adriennek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    In Toxic Levels of Testosterone
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysle View Post
    Now since Im done with the idiot (disclaimer) wording that seems to be required now (such a sad world, I recommend you do not follow my advice as I will not take responsibility for you not protecting your child).
    1- So you recommend that people don't follow the advice and you posted it anyway.

    (And a bit of cheat sheet for those 1-2 inches short).
    So much for the disclaimer that this is for children over 40" tall?

    Yes I understand those that will disagree with this.. HOWEVER, Im paying $439 a year for my child premium pass...
    So $439 buys entitlement? Noted.

    2- I agree: It IS a sad world when people teach their children to cheat. It IS a sad world when people teach their children: If you don't like a rule, it doesn't matter, you can cheat. If you WANT to do something then, by-golly, you go right ahead and do whatever you want. It IS a sad world when people wave their fists of $439 in the air and say GOSH DARN IT! I PAID good money, you're going to give me what I want!

    And it's a very sad world that it gets posted on my message board.

    A very sad world, indeed.

    Its really SAD I had to come up with these ways to get him on the rides when he measures up since the DLand bars dont measure correctly.
    Oh, there's much sadder stuff out there. Trust me.

    Adrienne
    As you count your blessings at this time of year, and consider your end of the year charitable donations, I appreciate your consideration for the Krock family's Team Muscle Makers fundraiser: Please donate here to help us make muscles to make a difference.

    Parenting in the Parks
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

  8. #7
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    bennette's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Far from Gariguettes
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysle View Post
    Yes I understand those that will disagree with this. HOWEVER, Im paying $ <snip> and he WANTS to ride.
    I would be surprised if you find many here who DO agree with your approach. For reasons stated by others and no doubt more to come.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Aysle View Post
    Its really SAD I had to come up with these ways to get him on the rides when he measures up since the DLand bars dont measure correctly.
    I personally think the sad part is that you are showing your child it's "okay" to cheat when the system is wrong (in your opinion). Even worse, it's okay because you are entitled to it? If he is that close to the height minimum now and you are passholders, it seems like it wont be long before he can legitimately ride it. Will waiting a few months make that first ride any less magical?
    Dude, you may actually be my nemesis.

    "...since I donít do drugs, I spend the money that I save on good dried beans." David Lebovitz

  9. #8
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    adriennek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    In Toxic Levels of Testosterone
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    If he is that close to the height minimum now and you are passholders, it seems like it wont be long before he can legitimately ride it. Will waiting a few months make that first ride any less magical?
    But that wouldn't be easy, bennette. The child might be sad. And if you pay $439, it should be easy. Patience isn't a virtue. We've been totally duped.

    Now. I want to see the post about how to handle the child when he's a tween and has been raised in this whole entitlement thing and "doesn't get along with others." I haven't had to deal with this in my own children because I always said that a little "pain" when they were toddlers would save me from a lot of pain down the road, BUT I can guarantee you that I'm watching this happen with other people who can't figure out why they're 11-year-olds are having so many problems conforming to basic social standards.

    Adrienne
    As you count your blessings at this time of year, and consider your end of the year charitable donations, I appreciate your consideration for the Krock family's Team Muscle Makers fundraiser: Please donate here to help us make muscles to make a difference.

    Parenting in the Parks
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

  10. #9

    Apart from the cheating, abuses, and safety issues - not the kind of tips Mouseplanet members and readers are looking for, by the way - why are you letting your kid have all his peak Disneyland experiences by the age of four?

    You're depriving him of the pleasure and reward of anticipating important milestones. If you measure everything by the price you pay for it, then many intangibles become worthless - like the thrill of finally being tall enough to go on Space Mountain or driving your own car in Autopia.

    The kids grow with the park, and that's one of the most magical things about Disneyland. What a shame.


  11. #10
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by saxboda View Post
    You're depriving him of the pleasure and reward of anticipating important milestones. If you measure everything by the price you pay for it, then many intangibles become worthless - like the thrill of finally being tall enough to go on Space Mountain or driving your own car in Autopia.

    The kids grow with the park, and that's one of the most magical things about Disneyland. What a shame.
    My nephew is small for his age. He was finally 4 years and 3 months before he was tall enough to ride BTMRR. We did not cheat. We were of the mind his safety is worth more than a 2 min ride. But the look on his face the day he was tall enough to make the 40" ride was priceless. Prior trips, we would measure him, he would sigh and comment "I need to eat more veggies", and at home, if he was skipping his veggies, his dad would just look at him and ask "When is Auntie Mal taking you back to DL? Will you be tall enough for the train ride?" and he would dig in!

    After that, every time we headed to a ride, his first question was "Is this a big boy ride??" He was so cute!! Now he is waiting to be tall enough for Indy. And he has an AP, but for us, when he is tall enough, then he will ride.

    And cheating TOT is just wrong.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  12. #11
    Registered User
    MousePad Subscriber
    Mermaid's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Quote Originally Posted by Aysle View Post
    It takes time @ City Hall as their is no GAC option for height.
    What? There's not? Maybe because the GAC is for people with legitimate disabilities, not kids who are too short. Shocking concept- I know! PS- spelling police moment- it's "there" not "their"

    Quote Originally Posted by Aysle View Post
    You will HAVE to carry your child as walking will be awkward.
    If my child can not walk with his "cheats" on there is no way he is tall enough to ride.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aysle View Post

    On a side note, I usually take him to Tower of Terror early in the AM and tell him to slouch, they will hand out a "special" fast pass good for 6 people for when he is "tall enough" later in the day.
    Honestly, this make me think (hope) you are totally making all this up. I can believe people do this, I have a hard time believing they will put it on a public message board.

    I agree with AdK that I have seen these kids who are never told no as 3,4,5,6 year olds. When they are 13 all of a sudden the parents can't figure out why they never listen and are getting in all sorts of trouble. Hmmmm......

  13. #12
    Registered User minniemouse28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    ...the look on his face the day he was tall enough to make the 40" ride was priceless. Prior trips, we would measure him, he would sigh and comment "I need to eat more veggies", and at home, if he was skipping his veggies, his dad would just look at him and ask "When is Auntie Mal taking you back to DL? Will you be tall enough for the train ride?" and he would dig in!
    We used a similar tactic with our daughter. Eating more fruit and veggies and getting plenty of sleep was her 'growing' strategy so she would be able to go on the 40" rides. On prior trips, when she didn't meet the minimum, she was disappointed. However, she knew that one day she WOULD be tall enough. On our last trip, when we measured her on TOT and she was over the minimum, she had the brightest smile. She was so proud. Her younger brother is the latest to adopt this strategy so he can ride the bigger rides next year.
     

  14. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Orange County, CA

    Is this a post just to stir up controversy? I think so with this quote stiff foam (0.5" think and cut to shape of the shoe heel (about 2-3 inches long) and taper at the end. Place the shoe liner over the top and place inside the shoe. You will HAVE to carry your child as walking will be awkward.

    I understand how kids can be disappointed. Believe me, I had to stand and wait with one son while twin brother got to ride California Screamin. He was sad and appropriately so, but it didn't ruin his whole day. There are plenty of things to do at both parks. Also since you have a premium pass, I assume you are going to the park more than once a year.

    I'm quite short myself and I recall that some of the restraints at Six Flags just didn't fit me correctly because I was not of average height. I don't want to mess around with safety issues and really why would you? Much better to get the height restrictions off of Disney's website and then you can plan accordingly what rides you can go on.


  15. #14

    This is a bit of a side track.

    While the original poster's suggestions are indeed out of line, when I'm the only adult with my two kids - one literally a half of a pinky width too short for Star Tours and one 4 inches in the green who happens to be a very large Star Wars fan - I wish they would let me wait with the little one to the front of the line with the big one, and then meet the big one on the other side of her favorite ride.

    And come on, it's Star Tours. She can ride the Matterhorn with it's crazy speed and high heights but not sit in a big theater that tilts while wearing a decent seat belt? But given she can't ride, it's just been too bad that she couldn't stand in the line.


  16. #15

    This is why my sister bought her youngest "pretty pink princess boots." I don't encourage the behavior but I understand it a lot more when it comes to the youngest in a family.

    For us, we have taken our 42" son on some of the "big kid" rides, but we don't push them because we prefer to focus on things the whole family can enjoy. My son has never been on Splash mountain so he doesn't know he's missing anything.

    In a few years, when both my kids are legitimately 40" we can add it (and others) to the list of rides to Fastpass. For now we will wait.


  17. #16
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    adriennek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    In Toxic Levels of Testosterone
    Blog Entries
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie2009 View Post
    This is a bit of a side track.

    While the original poster's suggestions are indeed out of line, when I'm the only adult with my two kids - one literally a half of a pinky width too short for Star Tours and one 4 inches in the green who happens to be a very large Star Wars fan.
    BTDT. With three kids.

    But. They have all survived. Here's my thing: there are SO many other things to do at Disneyland. I've written about this several times in relation to being pregnant at Disneyland. The number of height restricted or pregnant restricted rides at Disneyland is a small fraction of the overall number of attractions. There's still plenty for a kid to do!

    Yep, we've been when the older kids couldn't go on the bigger attractions because there weren't enough adults to go with them. They knew at the onset "Ok, we can't do those rides today." And we managed to find lots of other rides to do.

    Adrienne
    As you count your blessings at this time of year, and consider your end of the year charitable donations, I appreciate your consideration for the Krock family's Team Muscle Makers fundraiser: Please donate here to help us make muscles to make a difference.

    Parenting in the Parks
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    BTDT. With three kids.

    But. They have all survived. Here's my thing: there are SO many other things to do at Disneyland. I've written about this several times in relation to being pregnant at Disneyland. The number of height restricted or pregnant restricted rides at Disneyland is a small fraction of the overall number of attractions. There's still plenty for a kid to do!

    Yep, we've been when the older kids couldn't go on the bigger attractions because there weren't enough adults to go with them. They knew at the onset "Ok, we can't do those rides today." And we managed to find lots of other rides to do.

    Adrienne
    Yes, we've been there when the weather was so bad that all we did indoor attractions (Tiki room, movies on Main Street, and whatever that science place in Tomorrowland is called), and everybody still has an awesome time.

    But does it really endanger anyone for an under height kid to wait in the line and see C-3PO and R2D2?

    If they said people with birthdays in May couldn't enter Tomorrowland, we'd still have a great time at Disney, but I'd probably still complain about it here if there was a somewhat relevant discussion going on.

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie2009 View Post
    But does it really endanger anyone for an under height kid to wait in the line and see C-3PO and R2D2?
    I don't think it's waiting in line that's the issue, I think it's whether or not your taller child is old enough to ride alone. When I was a kid and my younger brother was still too short to ride he would wait through the line with me and our parents, then when we got to the star speeder I would ride with my dad while my mom and brother waited. When the ride ended my brother would walk straight through the speeder and leave with my dad while I rode with my mom. Your problem is (I'm assuming) that your taller child isn't old enough to ride alone. A bummer, but I'm glad there is some restriction on age to ride alone...I shudder to think what some parents would be willing to let their kids do if there was no age requirement.
    Keep Moving Forward!

  20. #19
    Ready for MA World Explorers!
    MousePad Subscriber
    MousePad Community Leader
    Drince88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    N.O. LA
    Blog Entries
    5

    They don't let kids who don't 'pass' the first height measurement past it, because of people like the OP who would then just put their kid on the attraction anyway.

    My nephew was JUST tall enough for Indy last trip. My sister was very impressed with the 'calibrated eyeballs' of all the CMs in the queue who pulled him fir checking. The first CM even told them he'd likely be re-measured, and we were all thankful that the CMs cared enough about his safety to measure him multiple times.


  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    They don't let kids who don't 'pass' the first height measurement past it, because of people like the OP who would then just put their kid on the attraction anyway.

    My nephew was JUST tall enough for Indy last trip. My sister was very impressed with the 'calibrated eyeballs' of all the CMs in the queue who pulled him fir checking. The first CM even told them he'd likely be re-measured, and we were all thankful that the CMs cared enough about his safety to measure him multiple times.
    This is news to me. I guess they must have changed how they do the 'baby swap' for some rides since I was in that range. Sorry to give bad info.
    Keep Moving Forward!

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by AJDerrick View Post
    This is news to me. I guess they must have changed how they do the 'baby swap' for some rides since I was in that range. Sorry to give bad info.
    I think you are right and it is a recent change, because when my eldest was a shorty we walked through the line so she could see the characters (she was a huge fan then too) and just left at the front of the line instead of riding. Now they won't let me do that with the little one to accompany the bigger sibling to the front of the line and then meet her on the other side.

    They are closing and redoing the ride anyway, I just hope when it reopens that if they add to the height requirement that the little one still can't ride that they will at least let them walk through the line. That's more than half the fun of the ride, anyway.

  23. #22

    Maybe if we're lucky they'll end up with some better seat restraints so shorter kids can ride, like Soarin' with the optional strap! We'll cross our fingers!

    Keep Moving Forward!

  24. #23
    It was a good day!
    MousePad Community Leader
    Malcon10t's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Modesto/Waterford
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by AJDerrick View Post
    Maybe if we're lucky they'll end up with some better seat restraints so shorter kids can ride, like Soarin' with the optional strap! We'll cross our fingers!
    Even with the strap, they require 40". They generally don't allow the shorter ones to walk the line simply because parents do "hide them" and put them on (seen it done.)

    That said, for Angie, if your daughter is 7 (the age to ride alone) ask the CM at the front if they could escort your daughter through the line, or if you could use the exit (where you could wait and they could set your daughter up on the ride.)
    Planning 3 trips at once...

  25. #24
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    MousePad Community Leader
    adriennek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    In Toxic Levels of Testosterone
    Blog Entries
    8

    UGH. I had my response all typed out and my browser crashed. In the car, I heard Michael Josephson (who I really like very much,) on news radio. His topic really hit home on the subject. He began by addressing concerns in society that technology will make it easier for young people to cheat in school. From his commentary:

    This drives me crazy because the more we focus on all the clever ways youngsters can cheat, the more likely we are to ignore the fact that the biggest single factor in escalating academic dishonesty is the failure of parents and teachers to diligently teach, enforce, advocate, and model personal integrity. It's the adults, not the kids, who have the greatest responsibility to create an ethical culture that nurtures the virtues of honor, honesty, and fairness.
    SOUND FAMILIAR??????

    And of course, in the words of Stephen Sondheim in Into the Woods:

    Careful the things you say
    Children will listen
    Careful the things you do
    Children will see and learn
    Children may not obey, but children will listen
    Children will look to you for which way to turn
    Adrienne
    As you count your blessings at this time of year, and consider your end of the year charitable donations, I appreciate your consideration for the Krock family's Team Muscle Makers fundraiser: Please donate here to help us make muscles to make a difference.

    Parenting in the Parks
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.

  26. #25

    I really like that Adrienne. I think it's really true. Even in college my professors didn't tout the virtues of honest academia--they just threatened us that they had resourses to check our papers against every publication on the internet for plagarism. I don't think they made the threat to encourage us to behave, rather just for vindication when they caught someone.

    Think about how early kids see things like this...not only the example from the OP but also in things like jumping in line to be with your buddies, sharing homework, even cheat codes for video games! Why would you want to cheat on something that's supposed to be fun?!? Personally, some of our favorite DL stories involve lots of waiting to grow taller, lots of waiting in crazy lines (remember those decoder cards for the walls in Indy?) and lots of camping out for the perfect spot to watch the show. We learned to be patient, to be flexible and to earn things. We made friends with those around us sharing the same experiences. It was fun!

    And my shoes were always comfy and foam-wedge free for all the fun.

    Keep Moving Forward!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •