Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wheelchair rental in Anaheim?

Wheelchair rental in Anaheim?

I am thinking about just renting a light-weight wheelchair for my mother-in-law while we are at Disneyland. We are staying at the Disneyland hotel, and if we don't take the monorail, the walk back is very long, besides all the walking we will do at the park. I just think it will be WAY too much for her, and I don't want to tire her out before we ever get to the park!

Is there any place that would rent a light-weight wheelchair and deliver it to the Disneyland Hotel? We will have a car, but it would be easier to just have it delivered.

(I had posted this in another section, but I think it will be seen better here)

Thanks - Kristin

Kristin

2. # ADS

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kkmickey View Post
    Is there any place that would rent a light-weight wheelchair and deliver it to the Disneyland Hotel? We will have a car, but it would be easier to just have it delivered.
    I would contact Deckert's Medical Supply ((714) 542-5607) or OC Medical ((714) 956-4690) and see if they have anything.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries

I agree with Decker I use them all the time at Disney and they are really good never have I had a problem the scooter is always there waiting for me and returning it is so easy....

Malcon reccommended Deckert's to me, and I had very good service. I would definitely call them. They will deliver to your hotel, before you arrive, and pick it up after you leave. Prices were much less expensive than the parks, and you have the advantage of having it to use from the hotel to the parks. Also, if mom tires, you can use it to get on the rides quicker (check out the Disneyland Accessibility Guide: http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/med.../Mobility1.pdf

Siggy aka Jill

Blog Entries

Kristen, check with the Disneyland Hotel. When my brother went and stayed at the DLH, they rented a chair at the Disneyland Hotel from Disneyland, I believe it was a different color, and they were allowed to take it back to the hotel and through DTD.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Malcon reccommended Deckert's to me, and I had very good service. I would definitely call them. They will deliver to your hotel, before you arrive, and pick it up after you leave. Prices were much less expensive than the parks, and you have the advantage of having it to use from the hotel to the parks. Also, if mom tires, you can use it to get on the rides quicker (check out the Disneyland Accessibility Guide: http://adisneyland.disney.go.com/med.../Mobility1.pdf

Ok I have to speak up here, this is why the 'myth' that there are Front of the line cheats....using a mobility device will NOT get you front of the line, most times you wait longer than the stand by wait in regular queues if you're with someone using a wheelchair or scooter. The attractions have limits on how many disabled guests they can load per cycle in case they need to evacuate the ride. It might "look" faster but it rarely is because people don't see where the alternate entrance guests wait for their turn on the attraction. The line at Pirates can be up to (and depending on the day) over an hour long while walk on/standby guests are getting in and loaded in 15 minutes or less. Space Mountain is another notorious long wait and you can not use a fast pass to bypass the queue. For the one or two attractions you might luck out and get loaded 'faster' there are so many more that you really don't. The accessibility is the issue. Loading the guests from the exit because the wheelchair or scooter will not fit in the queue is what this is about, not a shortcut to the front of any line.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    Ok I have to speak up here, this is why the 'myth' that there are Front of the line cheats....using a mobility device will NOT get you front of the line, most times you wait longer than the stand by wait in regular queues if you're with someone using a wheelchair or scooter.
    THANK YOU Mamma for this. Too many people believe this is true. While some rides MAY be faster, most are not. I've seen IASW, where the ride is walk on and we wait 20 mins. POTC is another where you see people running up on straight on, but because of the limit on number of handicapped on, we wait 30 mins. Most Fantasyland rides limit the rides to one disabled group per cycle. POTC is 6, HM is 1, IASW is 6, Space Mountain is 2, etc...

Last weekend I actually had a woman in a wheelchair who cut at Matterhorn (I had waited in the line like we are supposed to) tell me "We get to cut cause we rent the whelchairs." This is what happens when the myth is continued.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    THANK YOU Mamma for this. Too many people believe this is true. While some rides MAY be faster, most are not. I've seen IASW, where the ride is walk on and we wait 20 mins. POTC is another where you see people running up on straight on, but because of the limit on number of handicapped on, we wait 30 mins. Most Fantasyland rides limit the rides to one disabled group per cycle. POTC is 6, HM is 1, IASW is 6, Space Mountain is 2, etc...

Last weekend I actually had a woman in a wheelchair who cut at Matterhorn (I had waited in the line like we are supposed to) tell me "We get to cut cause we rent the whelchairs." This is what happens when the myth is continued.
    We got so tired of hearing our friends perpetuate this myth, that we did a little experiment to prove it wrong. My dog, scooter, and I went through the HCA entrance for Pirates while my daughter took our friends through the regular entrance. They were able to ride twice before I rode once. It was also interesting to hear the comments of people while I was waiting. One lady actually said "Maybe I should shell out a few bucks and get a scooter like THAT chick....we'd get to ride faster like her".

I'd give anything to be able to see regular queue lines and hop up the steps like everyone else!

Here's a potential solution - if they posted HCA wait times, maybe the general public would understand it's not a ride-faster-with-a-chair line.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Usually the Matterhorn CMs are SO good about not letting those people get through, actually. I've more than once seen someone stopped by the CM at the chalet explaining that they have to wait like everyone else.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Usually the Matterhorn CMs are SO good about not letting those people get through, actually. I've more than once seen someone stopped by the CM at the chalet explaining that they have to wait like everyone else.

Adrienne
    Yep, they usually do, but this woman was very pushy, and it seemed like the CM was new as she looked flustered.

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber

Yeah- I think the perception is there because the HCA groups appear out of "nowhere" but it doesn't take much paying attention to see that LONG group of people at the exits for Space, Small World, Pirates etc.

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

I wanted to say that I usually rent from OC Medical and I think they are very nice and reliable too. In fact, I just bought a lightweight travel chair for my Mom from them.

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I am going out on a limb and stand up for myself. I have gone to Disneyland twice now using the scooter and needing HCA. In October, when I went during Halloween (and Gay Days), the line was indeed longer than the regular lines. But when I went for 4 days in May, most of the time, the lines were shorter. I guess it depends on what time of year you go.

Siggy aka Jill

You based your post on TWO trips to the park, I based mine on the last six years of mulitple trips to the parks, as did Malcon10t.

While I agree once in a while you might load 'faster' than the standby line, the problem is that it's NOT the norm, but the exception and when people post oh oh oh, we use a scooter or rent a wheelchair and oh my goodness we get on the rides so fast, it perpetuates the myth that using these methods creates a 'front of the line' situation and encourages people to cheat. None of the places that rent these items ask for proof of need, to include the DLR...Mal has heard comments as I have, in fact on one trip with my ohana grandsons we were walking/scootering down the Paradise Pier and saw a group of young adults, six in total all on the park scooters, with adult beverages in hand and laughing and scootering along....can I say for certain that they were 'cheating' no I can't. Anyone is allowed to rent them for what ever 'reason' they choose, all the bean counters care about is the cc being cleared for the cost of the rentals. IF you were lucky enough to have a shorter wait time on ONE of your trips then wooot lucky you but please don't present it as a normal situation and encourage others to believe that all of us on scooters or using wheelchairs are living the good life and getting on attractions so much faster than the rest of the guests.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Sheesh. Jump on me why don't you? You think I like being in the scooter? I am most certainly not one of those people that cheat to use the scooter. Believe me, I certainly would love to be one of those people who can walk in the regular line. And lucky you and Malcon that you have much more Disneyland experience than me. I had to get hit by a car in order to get an insurance settlement that allowed me to go, and caused me to need to use a scooter. Believe me, I would much rather not have to use the scooter.

Siggy aka Jill

No one is jumping on you nor do we think you enjoy needing to use a mobility device. You have two visits to base your opinion on, other people have offered a more experience response to the situation. Someone who is going to need to use a mobility device needs to know that your experience is the exception not the average experience. ALL of us using scooters or wheelchairs wish we were healthy again, you're not the exception to the rule on that issue at all. If I had the magic power to blink and give you back your health I'd gladly do so along with all my friends and family that are now forced to find alternate methods to enjoy the parks and life in general.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Sheesh. Jump on me why don't you?
    We aren't jumping on you, just explaining that your experience was not the norm. My son was there at the same time as your visit. He was very excited also, as he stated the rides were all walk on during his visit. Yes, during a very slow time, perhaps there were no other disabled using the queue at the same time as you. Otherwise you would have seen more of a delay. We were just there 2 weeks ago, and again, we had longer waits than the standby on most rides. One particular bout, Saturday night, between Fantasmic!s we were in the POTC HA line, and we got to wait about 20 mins, while they were sending out empty boats, as there was no one in the standby line. But because there were 6 disabled already on the ride and 3 in front of us, we had to wait.

Update on my trip with Mom

Just wanted to let you all know how my trip with my mother-in-law was. We were at the parks July 15-18. It was HOT. The crowds were moderate to moderately high, for the most part. I rented a wheelchair (manual, lightweight, 19 in seat) from Shamrock Medical. The charge was $30 for 4 days, with a $15 delivery charge. The wheelchair was there at bell services when I arrived, and we left it there for Shamrock to pick up when we left. It worked perfectly, it was not heavy to push, even in the hot weather.

At first my MIL was a little taken aback that I had gone ahead and rented the chair, but we just took it with us (I told her I would use it to carry our backpacks) and within a couple hours of walking and waiting in line, we knew we were VERY glad that we had rented it. The first ride we went on was Toy Story Mania, and the line was about 40 minutes and it was really hot and humid. She never would have made it standing in the heat for 40 minutes. (It was so hot my eyelids were sweating). It was great to ALWAYS have a place to sit down, no matter where we were. We put our backpacks on the back of the chair, so that helped as well. A lot of the time she just walked, and sometime we would just park it and then come and get it later. While waiting in line, when her feet were tired, while waiting for WOC or even Muppets or Bugs' Life, it was great to have a ready made place to sit. She even took a little nap while waiting for WOC.

There were a few times that it saved waiting in line (Fantasyland and Nemo - although Nemo was still quite a wait) but most of the time we just queued with everyone else, she was just thankful not to have to stand all that time.

It was especially helpful heading BACK to Disneyland Hotel at the end of the day. I am glad I rented one from outside rather than in the park, because I didn't have to leave it there when we were tired out.

We were shopping in World of Disney, and an older woman with a cane was buying some collectible merchandise (and you know how slow those cast members can be) and she was getting very tired, so I offered to let her sit in the wheelchair while Mom and I were shopping. She asked where we got it, and she had her son come over and take down the information so they could call and rent one the next day

Kristin

Blog Entries

I am actually researching places to rent an ECV for twinwife, as she will be pretty weak after bariatric surgery.

I think I will give Deckerts a call on Monday, they sound like a fan favorite.

Malcon and MammaSilva, would you say Peter Pan is a ride you typically get on faster in the HA entrance? I honestly have no idea, and have appreicated this thread for breaking some stereotypes.

Please remember I am a guy. If you found anything in the above post offensive, I cannot help it. For more info, see Brad Paisley's "I'm just a guy."

Peter Pan is a hit or miss, this last weekend the wait was a good 45 minutes, they actually created a line out the exit to try and keep the narrow walkway as clear as possible, but like I said, it's really hit or miss.

Blog Entries

Like MS said, it is hit or miss. The other issue with Peter Pan is if you require more than one "ship" (ie more than 3 in your party) they split the group up by several ships. So, they will load the first in your party, then send 5-7 ships through, then load the other half of your party. The big thing here is if you have kids riding alone, make sure they know when they exit where you want them to wait.

On our last trip, I overheard some younglings (about my age) saying they should rent a scooter so they could get to the front of the lines. I originally rolled my eyes and groaned. Another believed that this would get you through the lines faster.

Then they said... "Yep, we can take it to Toy Story MM and get right to the front of the line." I figured, let them spend their money. The wait at that one to get a vehicle is a huge pain! Hopefully they have gotten faster, but you have to wait for a CM, then a vehicle, then space to send you out. But I love that that ride is HA, the queue is nice and wide and you get to see all the fun stuff that they just don't put in the HA queue.

You also have to include delayed time in wading through the throngs of people.

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyDogMom View Post
    But I love that that ride is HA, the queue is nice and wide and you get to see all the fun stuff that they just don't put in the HA queue.
    You see fun stuff in the regular queue for Toy Story, in DL? You so need to go to WDW! (Though the HA queue there doesn't get to see most of the cool stuff.)
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    You see fun stuff in the regular queue for Toy Story, in DL? You so need to go to WDW! (Though the HA queue there doesn't get to see most of the cool stuff.)
    Since TSMM is accessible, you get the same stuff as the regular line. Main thing is Mr Potatohead. BUT, when you get to the "load" area, then you do get to wait while they put you over to the HA vehicle, then you wait your turn for the vehcile, then you wait for a spot for it to go out into the game, etc....

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Right, but you can see Mr P without getting in line, and the rest of the queue is pretty sad when you compare to WDW.