Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: To ECV or not to ECV?

You could be a big pig too!

To ECV or not to ECV?

We tend to go to DLR every 18 months or so and are getting overdue for a trip. I have always had feet trouble and the my discomfort the last couple of trips was considerable. Since then my feet have gotten significantly worse. I am actively working with orthopedists and orthotists but I am a difficult case and I have yet to get much relief. Sooo now that I am thinking about treking around Disneyland for 3-5 days (depending on specials and rates!) I am thinking that renting an ECV might be a good idea. Is Disneyland generally too crowded for an ECV newbie? I wonder, if I am not used to driving an ECV, will navigating around the parks be more difficult for me? I remember what it was like to be polite and safe while driving the kids in a stroller but an ECV would be even harder I think. Yes? No? Since I am pretty mobile, I just can't stand/walk for extended periods, I think I can manage the lines ok, it is just the continual walking from land to land that worries me. What do you think?

Disneyland trips: '72, '77' 78 '79, '80, '86, '99, '06, '07, '08, '09 , '11, '13, '14, '15 and '16
    WDW solo trips: '13, '14, and '16

"My favorite part of Disneyland is spending time with my family" -- DD, age 10

2. # ADS

Friend of Figment

Please ask yourself the following questions. Here are the suggested answers to go with them.

1. Are you disabled (even temporarily)? Yes.

2. Do the people you are traveling with, such as your family, know you are disabled? Yes.

3. Do you expect to meet anyone you know during this trip who may not know you are disabled. Probably No!

4. Do you expect to meet a bunch of people who you will probably never meet again in your life? Probably yes!

5. Is there any reason at all that you should care what these people think about you? Absolutely No!!

6. Will using a wheelchair or ECV make for a better vacation for you and your family? Absolutely YES!

And you can "practice" at a WalMart or large grocery store. I would suggest renting from an off-site location to (a) be sure of being able to get one, and (b) they tend to bve more maneuverable and less expensive than the Disney ones.

Disneyland Trips: 13 trips for 49 nights.
    But I live less than 20 miles from Walt Disney World! And work there part-time.

For more information about Disabled Access to Disney World and nearby areas, check this out. Or for tickets, check out my Everything About WDW Tickets post.

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Thumbs up

I would quote CF's post but I can't add enough to make the quote/response rule. What I will say is that everything you needed to hear, you have heard. Practicing at walmart or your grocery store will give you a little feel for the equipment but not a true true feel since they have bulky baskets attached. The favorite off site company for most of us on the pad is Deckerts 714 452 5607. Excellent customer service, they will deliver and pick up and response time is excellent if something does go wrong with the scooter (I've never experienced that problem but others swear by how well they respond) and you have it from the hotel to the hotel which is where a LOT Of the painful walking would come into play. Most of the hotels on Harbor will let you store/charge it in their luggage storage rooms if you don't want to deal with it sucking up all the space in your hotel room.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

I asked myself this question several times this year as the result of a temporary disability. My decision was no, but based largely on the fact that I'm local and can come and go at any time I choose. I know that on my last trip to WDW, which started less than 24 hours after I was injured, I lost half my park time, which wouldn't have been necessary with an EVC and prior planning.

For an real vacation (which is what I consider this to be), I think you should definitely consider it. I do think navigating Disneyland on an EVC will be a little tricky and require some patience but you'll have a lot more of that if you aren't in constant pain.

I hope you will take advantage of the option. Disney makes traveling with limitations much easier than many places; it doesn't make sense not to take advantage of what they offer. If you end up not needing it on day two or three, that's just gravy.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Thumbs up

I used an ECV on a trip once - and it was really crowded - and I strongly encourage you to do it. I also used Deckerts and loved them. We let it run out of juice and called them and they were great. Plus, you are able to use it to get to and from the park(s) - a great perk. Go for it!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

I rented an EVC at the park after I had knee reconstruction surgery. The EVC was really easy to manage (and I was a newbie as well). It took some patience to navigate the crowds, but by having it I was able to enjoy the park. I say go for it and have a great time.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

You could be a big pig too!

Thanks for all of your responses. Cheshire Figment - your questions were spot-on and I would answer them as you did. I guess I am still feeling like with enough work on my feet issues I will be able to overcome them but the reality is I am not there yet. So renting the scooter is the better choice to make the vacation the best possible (you should have seen the 4" x 2" blister I got from Day 1 last time - no joke!). Bennette - your comment is so true too - if you have it and don't use it not a big deal but not having it and needing it - Big Deal!

Disneyland trips: '72, '77' 78 '79, '80, '86, '99, '06, '07, '08, '09 , '11, '13, '14, '15 and '16
    WDW solo trips: '13, '14, and '16

"My favorite part of Disneyland is spending time with my family" -- DD, age 10

I am another fan of Deckerts. Plus, it is less expensive to rent from them and have the ecv to get to and from the parks. Depending on where you are staying, you may need to take ART (Anaheim Resort Transit) and they have lifts on all their busses. You can also use the ECV to go explore Downtown Disney.

Siggy aka Jill

Over exertion like 3-5 days of walking can actually slow your healing and debilitate your further. If you need it, use it. People who really need them should not feel swayed by the negative attitudes brought on by others. It's your vacation and you deserve to fully enjoy it!