Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Color Fastpass - Information and Experiences

World of Color Fastpass - Information and Experiences

I've been reading as many of the WOC posts to see how everything is working in these early days in preparation for our trip next weekend. One thing I was really interested in, that I hadn't really been able to find yet (though maybe just missing the right posts), is how the fastpass process is going. I know on opening day, folks lined up super early to get a chance to see the show and think I read they may have ran out of passes by early afternoon.

I'd love to hear updates throughout the week from folks who are there on what to expect when we get there. Will the line-up for fastpass before park entry continue for weeks, or does that start to dwindle off now that it's been open for a weekend? Also wondering how long folks are waiting in the fastpass line and on non-opening days how early they are running out of the fastpasses.

Would also love to hear depending on the time of day if people are getting better or worse zones from the machines. I remember reading at one point that the machines would be setup by color zone, but then thought I read it would randomly assign a zone. So would love to hear the details on how that is working. Whether lining up before park opening to stand in line means a better fastpass spot, or if it's all random anyway and just as long as we get one it wouldn't matter if we are early or not.

Debated whether this should be in this section or trip planning, so please move if I've picked the wrong one.

TIA

2. # ADS

Here's my experience from today, Sunday June 13, 2010.

We arrived at the esplanade around 8:50 AM and got in line for DCA. When we arrived we were between the gates and the CALIFONIA letters. They opened the gates around 9:15 AM. By that time the people line up behind us were stretched out to the center of the esplanade.

There were dozens of cast members guiding us through condor flats towards the Grizzly River Rapids where they distribute the FastPasses. The cast members were very polite, even when they had to remind people not to run. For the most part the guests were exceptionally polite and didn't seemd to mind a spirited walk.

As we arrived at the road just past Soarin' Over California that takes you in front of the Grand Californian, they bottle necked us into a single file line. This got a little tight but again, no one seemed to mind and everyone was polite and considerate.

By the time the line reached GRR, we were directed into a switchback or two along the trail that leads behind GRR. The line moved quickly and we reached the actual Fast Pass machines around 9:35 AM. The cast members were very helpful and made sure that everyone in our party --there were four of us-- had the same section and show time. By 9:40 AM we were headed to Storyteller Cafe for breakfast.

Given the fact that this is the first weekend and today is not a blackout day for passholders I thought it went as well as could be expected. We'll see if my opinion changes after I see the show.

Great idea, OP!

Thanks for the report, BGW4SC!

"The show must…"/"Go on!" - Shakespeare in Love

Quote Originally Posted by BGW4SC View Post
    Here's my experience from today, Sunday June 13, 2010.
    Thanks for the report. What color did you get?
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 06-13-2010 at 05:49 PM. Reason: please keep quote and reply to approximately equal lengths.

World of Color Fastpass and Show Experience

We were there on June 11. I had heard that since it was opening night is was going to be tough to get a fastpass ticket but my daughter really wanted to go (we could see the fountains from our room at the Paradise so she had a teaser - and just so you know you can also HEAR the show from the Paradise) so I said we would try. We had a character breakfast that a.m. and people were allowed to line up at the Esplanade at 7:00 a.m. so I wasn't holding my breath. To my surprise when we were allowed entry through the Grand Entrance - which is right by the fastpass machines - at 9:30, I was in the fastpass lane and out of the fastpass booth within 10 minutes. We got yellow tickets for the 10:15 show. It was a breeze and we were on our way for the rides for the day. The tickets told us to return to the grizzle rapids area between 9 and 9:30. Since I am an anxious person I had us head to the area when we finished dinner which was around 8:30. I'm glad this was the case as the castmembers started the line up as soon as they saw people beginning to gather so we were in the front of the line to go over to the show. They lined us up behind the grizzly ride where we waited until about 9:45 at which time they lead us over to the yellow area. We had our pick of spots. We chose to stand at the fence on the second tier as they told us the first tier would get wet. We had a great view of the show since we were up against the fence and above those on the first teir. In addition, the grass area between us and the first tier also had fountains of water on occassion - which you would miss being in the first tier. We did get some spray from the fountains but we were not soaking wet as a few people were that were on the first tier. All in all it is a show definitely worth seeing and the steps to see it are really quite painless although they do require investing some time. My husband loved, loved, loved it and called it Bellagio on steroids. My daughter and I loved it as well but thought Fantasmic was better.

Also, as far as color tickets go I do think it is random as some people who ordered picnics had same yellow as us and I had thought maybe they would get "better seating". I also read on Ridemax that Disney is doing random assisngments - hence need to have all tickets at same fastpass machine at same time - to prevent people from selling tickets.

Last edited by cbond2112; 06-13-2010 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Adding info...

I was there today. I was not staying to see the show, but I was curious to see if they still had Fastpasses around 1:00. I walked over and they were still giving out fastpasses for WOC. Not sure which show, but I'd guess the 2nd. I was surprised at how long a line they had set up for those fastpass machines. It was far from full, but it was probably the longest line I've seen for fastpasses. It was probably only a 10-15 minute line though.

Happily Ever After with my Prince.

Im not sure if this is the right place to post or not. Sorry if Im in the wrong place.

DH and I went to DCA late this afternoon. Not going to see WOC, knew that would be a mad house. More to go on a few rides and check out the Glow thing(what ever its called). Anyhow we got to DCA about 5:30 pm, heard there could be FP for a third show, so we went by Grizzly Peak to see. No passes, not shocked. But was confused to what machine gave out FP, good thing there was a CM there.

We walked over to Midway Mania. Wow, never seen that many people in DCA. lol I was a bit shocked to see they were stopping you from walking past the new Arial ride (going west). I figured it must be a viewing area. And then thought I hope this isn't how it is when PP is finished being re-done. I hate to have to walk over past Screaming to get where the old Hot Dog place was. Thats to much walking for my tired feet that late in the day. lol

So we made our way over PP bridge. It was a sea of people over by Midway Mania. We heard an announcement say that some of the PP rides may shut down at 7:30. I was thinking yeah the SunWheel (or what ever its called now) and Screamn would be shut down during the show. Malabumer and maybe the other rides on the water would be shut down for the show. Makes sense. I get it. Got to Midway Mania and chatted with a CM and found out Midway Mania would be shutting down at 7:30pm and that would mostly happen each night WOC is on. At least that CM said it would. We were a bit shocked because why would MM interrupt WOC? We hadn't seen the show, so maybe there is something we are missing. Im guessing they shut the lights off. But why do they say they are shuting the rides down over an hour and half before the show? Im wondering if its to get people out of that area that aren't staying to watch the show.

We got on the ride and left PP area about 7:30. I didn't see where they were shutting down the rides. In fact MM had a line that was at least 45 min long.

PP bridge was a bit confusing. They had a CM at each end of the bridge telling people which side to be on for which way you were walking. Great I thought good crowd control. The only bad thing, the two CM were saying the opposite of each other and guest were confused.

Once off the bridge and heading towards sunshine plaza. We were directed in to the Wharf area. They had the area in front of that big restaurant blocked off? Not sure why. I hope there is a good reason for this. If I was in the parks all day and wanted to get out of the crowd of WOC the last place I want to go is where people are trying to get food, it was so busy in there. We traded one crowd for another. lol

We made it through and onto Sunshine Plaza. The dancers were fun to watch. And the Glow Fest in Hollywood back lot was fun too. If they are shutting down the PP for the evening at 7:30 pm or so, its nice that they have something for those who don't have FP for WOC, have something to do. Because the park is still lacking a lot of rides and things to do with out PP being closed and with PP being closed its worse.

I haven't seen the show, so I can't comment on that. But I am not thrilled with the traffic flow and the closure of PP attractions at 7:30 or later. I hope that this is just one of those opening weekend things and with some time, but not too much time, they get it to where PP isn't shut down so early for the non FP for WOC. If this is how it is. Then Im not a fan of WOC no matter how good they make the show. Its very limiting to how many people can see the show. Although I know there is a lot of people seeing the show. But to shut down a whole section of the park for a show? Not the best idea IMO.

First DLR Trip as a ticketed guest (no AP) Thanksgiving 2012
    Disneyland every NYE from 1985-2010
    WDW Nov 2003, May 2009, Aug/Sept 2010
    WDW Wedding May 2008 at WP/LS
    TDR Oct/Nov 2008 DLP 1998

Just call me Sara~! lovindisneyland's Avatar

my world of color fast pass experience,
    i got to the park at 3pm, i got a FP for WOC at 3:30pm, it was for the 11:15pm show. getting a pass was a breeze!

I MOUSEPLANET

Do WOC fastpasses "count" toward your fastpass allotment, in other words, does the fastpass have a time printed on the bottom as to when you can get another fastpass?

Or could we pick up our WOC fastpasses, and then walk right over to Soarin' and get a fastpass for that right away?

Also, are Grizzy fastpasses available first thing in the morning, or is SOC using the Grizzy fastpass machines? If so, when do the Grizzy fastpasses become available?

Thanks!

I believe those machines are not connected to the FP system when distributing WOC fastpasses.

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenofHearts View Post
    Do WOC fastpasses "count" toward your fastpass allotment, in other words, does the fastpass have a time printed on the bottom as to when you can get another fastpass?

Or could we pick up our WOC fastpasses, and then walk right over to Soarin' and get a fastpass for that right away?

Also, are Grizzy fastpasses available first thing in the morning, or is SOC using the Grizzy fastpass machines? If so, when do the Grizzy fastpasses become available?

Thanks!
    No. They don't affect ride allotments. And since it looks like FP's for WOC are being passed out all day, my guess would be that there won't be passes for Grizzly (for now anyway)

world of color

I was at the park Fri/Sat/Sun. My wife was getting a f.p. at Indiana Jones when we found out that you needed a fast pass for W.O.C.. I would have been pretty ticked off had I arrived later in the afternoon and all the f.p. were gone. (How did they think guests would know?) We had planned on going Sat. night, so I went to get the W.O.C. f.p. around 10:30 am on Sat. Waited in line about 10 minutes. We were in the blue section, stayed toward the back of the section, so we didn't get wet. I'll post a link to my photos soon. I was told by a c.m. that 2 shows are scheduled, and the third is added if there is enough demand. Sunday morning at Cal. Adv. the line for f.p. extended from G.W.R. out past Soarin' to the main sidewalk, but they didn't run out of W.O.C. passes until late afternoon, 4ish. My kids and I were doing multiple single rider runs at Grizzly when they ran out. For whatever reason, Sun. was far busier than Fri & Sat. As far as I know, you can't pick a show or section. They fill the 9pm first and 10:15 second. Also getting a W.O.C. f.p. didn't hinder us from getting other f.p. Also, I believe they extended CA ADV park hours to 11pm on all 3 nights.

Sorry for the fragments and run on sentences!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

tuesday at 11am

two shots - one in Sunshine plaza (line went for another 20 yards) and one around the GRR machines..

and I had to post one from the Disneyland ROA yesterday - around 11:30am -3 canoes! you know it was busy.

Sunshine

GRR

ROA

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    No. They don't affect ride allotments. And since it looks like FP's for WOC are being passed out all day, my guess would be that there won't be passes for Grizzly (for now anyway)
    Can anyone confirm whether there are no more Grizzy fastpasses?

Thanks!

Can anyone confirm whether there are no more Grizzy fastpasses?

Thanks!
    The machines are being used for WoC Fastpasses first. Once those run out, the machines switch back to normal GRR Fastpass distribution. Or so I've heard.

my flicker photostream

www (dot)

flickr (dot)

com/photos/51190861@N07/

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dznyphreak View Post
    The machines are being used for WoC Fastpasses first. Once those run out, the machines switch back to normal GRR Fastpass distribution. Or so I've heard.
    The fast passes have been running out for WOC (inlcuding the 3rd show) by around 2:00 pm, so maybe they are issuing Grizzly passes after that.

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    The fast passes have been running out for WOC (inlcuding the 3rd show) by around 2:00 pm, so maybe they are issuing Grizzly passes after that.
    I can't imagine that they'd just shut the machines down during the hottest part of the day just as summer heats up. It just makes sense to switch them back to normal, at least in my mind. I haven't seen it in person though.

Thanks!

We just got back from 5 days in the parks and the Grizzly River fastpass stations were only issuing WoC fastpasses, no Grizzly River fastpasses. A real bummer as it was crowded and hot. Which made the standby line very long.

Love my Happy Place!! mrsdisney68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EeyoreAdorer View Post
    We just got back from 5 days in the parks and the Grizzly River fastpass stations were only issuing WoC fastpasses, no Grizzly River fastpasses. A real bummer as it was crowded and hot. Which made the standby line very long.
    That sounds very dumb....with it heating up they need to have those machines free for fast passes...I hope they do by my visit
    Summer trip here I come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoreAdorer View Post
    Were WoC Fastpasses still being distributed at the times you walked by?? Or did they just shut them down after WoC was booked?

I know for a fact that, while WoC Fastpasses are available, all of the GRR machines are used solely for that. I think they switch them back after that point, though.

Local APer wants to watch WOC

So Hubby and I want to stop by a watch World of Color on Mon or Tues, I was wondering how the whole Fastpass/Color Zone system was working out. Do we have to be there early in the morning to get one (FP) or can we get there around 5 and still be ok?
    Do they have a "Stand-by" area for those that didnt get a FP?
    And lastly, I assume our APs have to be scanned at the Main Gate to be able to get a FP, right? If so thats kinda of lame.
    Thanks in advanced!

A lot has been said on other threads, but I'd bet your chances are slim to get a Fastpass at 5 pm since the show is still new. "Standby" means you're watching the show from the side (by Golden Zephyr) or the back (by Midway Mania). I wouldn't recommend watching from there as you can't see the projections, which I would argue kills the show.

And, yes...your ticket/pass needs to be used for admission in order to be valid for a Fastpass.

I think that for the foreseeable future, if you want to see World of Color without getting there in the morning, your best bet is the $15 fastpass... I mean, the Picnic lunch with "preferred" standing areas. If the preorders are already sold out, you could consider the second show where they only do walkups. Since there's not as much knowledge about them, they may not be sold out by the time you get there. And it wouldn't surprise me if one person could buy up to a reasonable number without having the other people there. As you probably know, there's a whole thread dedicated to the Picnic option.

I like that the fastpasses are first come, first serve. I feel that this gives day guests a slight advantage over the annual passholder, because they are more likely to go all day. We tend to either go in the morning and leave early afternoon, or go late afternoon and stay for evening entertainment. So for us, the ability to pay more for a preferred area is a good compromise. (The actual problems with the viewing area that everyone is experiencing notwithstanding)

I was there Tuesday night . They added a 3rd show at 1115pm. It was that packed at Ca Adv. I was not ready to stand in the World of Colors FP line for 2 hours. Instead me and my wife found a spot to the right of Mickeys Ferris Wheel... It was an awsome spot with only about 5 other familes.... We go to enjoy the show with out the hassle. Hope this helps.