Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Explain what happens when the parks hit capacity

Explain what happens when the parks hit capacity

We will be at DLR for the holidays arriving late afternoon Dec 23 and flying home the night of Dec 27. We've been to DLR annually since 2005 and feel we are finally prepared to handle the busiest time of the year.

Still, please explain to me what happens in a capacity day? If we go in early and leave the parks early afternoon and if it hits capacity... then we can't go in again at all that day? or we can if it empties? and how do we know? And should we just plan that this will happen starting Christmas Eve day?

Thanks.

Nvmom

2. # ADS

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Malcon10t will know the order better than I do but I believe this is the proper order in which they work:

1. They stop selling one-day tickets but anyone who already has a ticket or who buys a multiple-day ticket can still enter.

2. They stop allowing APs to enter but people who already have other tickets or who have already entered with APs earlier in the day can enter.

3. They stop allowing first-time entries, but anyone who's already been in can re-entries.

4. They stop allowing ANYONE to enter until they've had enough people exit.

There will be signs announcing that this is possible, starting early in the day. Also, they'll require APs to get hand-stamps if they expect it to get to a shut down stage.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    Malcon10t will know the order better than I do but I believe this is the proper order in which they work:

1. They stop selling one-day tickets but anyone who already has a ticket or who buys a multiple-day ticket can still enter.

2. They stop allowing APs to enter but people who already have other tickets or who have already entered with APs earlier in the day can enter.

3. They stop allowing first-time entries, but anyone who's already been in can re-entries.

4. They stop allowing ANYONE to enter until they've had enough people exit.

There will be signs announcing that this is possible, starting early in the day. Also, they'll require APs to get hand-stamps if they expect it to get to a shut down stage.

Adrienne
    Correct but don't forget to get your hand stamped. That is key to reducing your potential hassle for getting back in. Also, even during capacity type days, closures are usually temporary, up to an hour or so, then it usually starts to flow again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nvmom View Post
    Still, please explain to me what happens in a capacity day? If we go in early and leave the parks early afternoon and if it hits capacity... then we can't go in again at all that day? or we can if it empties? and how do we know? And should we just plan that this will happen starting Christmas Eve day?

Thanks.

Nvmom
    Once the park hits a turnstile closure, the park will reopen after the park empties some. Basically, if the park hits capacity, it usually happens early afternoon. The park will generally reopen after the first parade. Make sure you have a hand stamp, even if you are an AP. If Disneyland is closed, you can usually go into DCA. (Its only closed once.) (Adk's list is pretty much correct except they no longer do #2. They stop selling 1 days, then they stop selling multiday (but they do sell APs!), then they stop allowing first time entries, and then they stop EVERYONE.)

The only day a closure lasts longer than a couple hours is NYE.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Thanks! We will have a 5 day park hopper. No APs here. But I'll make sure the fam gets a hand stamp upon leaving each time.

Now for some meal planning!

nvmom

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar

It doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't worry about it, but I would get my hand stamped. If Disney feels like the park is getting crowded, or its one of those really busy days and they know it in advance, I've seen them stamping hands of everyone as the enter. And they will post signs warning you to get your hand stamped.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    It doesn't happen very often. I wouldn't worry about it,
    It happens frequently between Christmas and New Years. (One year, I think 2005, it happened every day that week.) I would just remember that if the park gates do shut, visit DCA and try back after the parade.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I just wanted to say, "Thanks." for this thread. I'll be at the park on the first day of the holiday season and don't know what to expect. I appreciate the detailed info about park capacity closing. Here at WDW, you would just go to another park. And yet, I can't ever remember a park here reaching capacity, I'll bet it's happened.

Again thanks for the the info!
    GnP

I'm a sentimental fool...I *always* get my hand stamped on the way out of the park...even if it is when I'm leaving to go home and won't be back in the park that day. To me, it is just part of a Disneyland park experience. And when I'm leaving to go home, it symbolizes, "I will be back."

Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

Ditto ^^

Gotta have the hand stamp, it's the perfect (if temporary) souvenir!

Double ditto. I also make sure to get my hand stamped. But then I go to alot of car races and enjoy "collecting" the stamps on my hands during Speedweeks. (funny how it takes so long to wash those stamps off) So I enjoy the Disney stamps too.

GnP