Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Amex Gift Cards

Amex Gift Cards

My DH & I received a American Express prepaid gift card & wonder if those are accepted at Disneyland? (Sorry for the silly question, but just to save embarrassment in case they don't) Thank you in advance

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

Yes, they do. I have used a few myself.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Blog Entries

We use them all the time (it's one of the ways I assure we don't overspend on trips). We save up our Amex points and use some of them on cards for various trips or purchases. I've never been declined with one anywhere.

They won't be taken at those few food counters that are cash only.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Blog Entries

Or she puts them away and forgets about them for a year, then they get found and the enjoyment doubles!!

Blog Entries

Hey, those weren't cards under my direct control. All I have right now is one Starbuck's card and it's accounted and spoken for.

The ones I personally order go straight into the vacation jar.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

They are accepted, but make sure you know exactly how much is on them after each purchase because they are run as credit, and will get declined if theres not enough on the card for the purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Tan Da Man View Post
    They are accepted, but make sure you know exactly how much is on them after each purchase because they are run as credit, and will get declined if theres not enough on the card for the purchase
    Is this an Amex thing? We had a Visa one, it was a software rebate, and they just ran it like they do gift cards, it pulled the balance off, then we were given the new amount due to pay with a regular card/cash.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    Is this an Amex thing? We had a Visa one, it was a software rebate, and they just ran it like they do gift cards, it pulled the balance off, then we were given the new amount due to pay with a regular card/cash.
    I've had a similar issue. I pay with a card that I am unsure how much is left on, and instead of pulling off the balance like happened to you, I simply got declined saying there wasn't enough to cover the purchase. I had to tell them "Put $6.45 on this card, adn the rest on this..."

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    I've had a similar issue. I pay with a card that I am unsure how much is left on, and instead of pulling off the balance like happened to you, I simply got declined saying there wasn't enough to cover the purchase. I had to tell them "Put $6.45 on this card, adn the rest on this..."
    I was wondering. I think Starbucks, in the Citywalk, asked how much to put on a card like that, now that I think about it.

Re: Amex gift cards and incorrect balances. It's rather irritating, but a common practice at restaurants and also gas stations. A gas station, depending on the chain they will pre-auth the card for a set amount (like $50 is getting to be common now). So while in a few days the $25.55 you charged in gas will POST to the credit card, it will take UP $50 in available credit until it "falls off" (usually up to 3 days).

The restaurants in Disneyland that have table service (and even some that don't), add a 20% gratuatity amount to the authorized amount. So if you only paid $20 for your food, they may auth $24... and again, the few days keeps you you a few bucks short. Oddly, I have never had the same issue on a DDRD card or Disney gift card, only with the prepaid VISA/Amex cards.

Teddi ~ Wife to Rob. Mom to Bert 14, Chloe & Kaylie 9
    1st trip to WDW 2013: Jan 28-Feb 6 Cabins@ Fort Wilderness & Villas @ AKL Kidani
    2013 May 11 - 18, Boardwalk Inn CL, Great-Grandma's 1st trip
    DLR 2013: Feb 20-22: DLH, April 2-4: offsite June: 18-22, Paradise Pier
    2014: DLR May 24 - 27, Paradise Pier