Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

World of Color Picnic Option - Information and Experiences

Also posted on my MousePlanet Blog:

I've just obtained details of the long-rumored 'Picnic' viewing option for World of Color, a lower-cost alternative to the prix fixe meals offered at the Wine Country Trattoria and Ariel's Grotto.

Served from the new Sonoma Terrace of the Golden Vine Winery patio, these cold picnic meals come with a non-alcoholic beverage, and include a voucher for access to a reserved viewing area for the World of Color. There are seven meals to choose from (see menu details below). Picnic meals are $14.99 per person; adults and kids pay the same price. Kids' meals come with a light-up World of Color bracelet. Adults can upgrade their beverage to beer or wine for an additional charge.

A presentation of the picnic meals. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

Online orders will be accepted starting June 11, and can be booked up to 60 days in advance. Online ordering will be offered through the Disneyland.com Web site (the link is not yet active). The Disney Dine Line does not handle reservations for this offer. Same-day walk-up meals will be offered if space is available. If you order online, your meal includes seating at the first show. If you purchase a walk-up meal, you'll receive a ticket for the second show.

Reserved meals can be picked up between 2pm and 8pm on your selected show date. If you pre-order online, your entire order will be packaged in a reusable World of Color tote bag. (A Disney representative said that each meal booked comes with the bag but a Disney press release indicates it's one bag per order, so we're asking for clarification).

The Taste of Asia picnic meal. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

I had the opportunity to sample the European Antipasto and Taste of Asia picnics tonight, and I found them both to be quite tasty. The Taste of Asia box included a nice portion of salmon and an excellent noodle salad. The wrapper of the spring roll was a little chewy, but the excellent dipping sauce made up for that. This seemed to be the most popular plate among the group.

The European Antipasto picnic meal. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

The European Antipasto plate comes with generous portions of cheese - our box had chunks of bleu and a firm white cheese, along with a small wedge of brie. The caprese salad skewer vanished before I could reach for a fork, but the person making happy munching noises across the table seemed to enjoy it. Our box included several different sliced meats, and some marinated vegetables. The meal is served with crackers and not bread, so portion of olive oil and vinegar seemed unnecessary, . The Chocolate-dipped Tiramisu seemed to be the favorite of the two desserts we sampled.

Picnic orders placed online come in this reusable World of Color tote bag. Photo by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix.

Several readers have asked how or if guests with disabilities can participate in these dining offers, and whether they will be sent to a separate viewing area instead of the viewing area that comes with their selected dinner packages. According to a Disney representative, the entire World of Color viewing area is wheelchair accessible, and that sections in each viewing area are set up so that guests using wheelchairs will not have anyone standing in front of them.

Menus:

European Antipasto

• Cured meats, regional cheese, pepperoncini, artichoke heart, sun-dried tomato
    • Carr's Water Crackers, Balsamic Vinegar and Extra-virgin olive oil
    • Caprese Salad Skewers, Fresh Mozzarella and Baby Heirloom Tomatoes
    • Chocolate-dipped Tiramisu

Mediterranean Vegetarian

• Marinated grilled vegetables in a whole wheat wrap with roasted garlic hummus
    • Raw zucchini & and squash spaghettini, first press lemon infused olive oil
    • Vegetable couscous, toasted coriander vinaigrette
    • Lemon Layer Cake

All American

• Cold honey stung fried chicken
    • Green and red cabbage coleslaw with apple cider dressing
    • Old fashioned potato salad with sweet onions and dill relish
    • Apple Pie

Taste of Asia

• Chilled miso-glazed salmon, asian greens, soy-rice wine dressing
    • Vegetable spring roll with Thai mango sauce
    • Soba noodle salad with Julienne vegetables with sesame dressing
    • Mandarin orange cake

A Little Splash of Color (Children's Options)

Includes low-fat milk, juice box, or small bottled water
    Little Squirt's Box: Sliced apples, string cheese, low-fat yogurt, Goldfish crackers and World of Color Confetti Vanilla Cupcake

Junior All-American: Chicken leg, Goldfish crackers, apple wedges and World of Color Confetti Vanilla Cupcake

Lunchbox Classic: Peanut butter and Smucker's jelly sandwich, apple wedges and World of Color Confetti Vanilla Cupcake
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

I'm wondering, since the adult and children's meals are the same cost, would there be a problem with ordering an children's meal for an adult? I wouldn't imagine that the reserved viewing area tickets would specify children or adult but I'm curious because I have a semi picky adult eater to deal with and I'm curious about the bracelet that comes with the children's meal.

Love my Happy Place!! mrsdisney68's Avatar

Once you set a time to pick up your meal then do you go to your spot to eat? Or do you eat on the patio then line up?? Just wondering I think I like this idea better then the pri-fix menu...I have reservations for that but I might change to the picnic option..Also do you know if when booking online you have to pay for it then?? Thanks again for all the great info and keeping us all up to date!!

Summer trip here I come!!!

Love my Happy Place!! mrsdisney68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CindyR View Post
    I'm wondering, since the adult and children's meals are the same cost, would there be a problem with ordering an children's meal for an adult? I wouldn't imagine that the reserved viewing area tickets would specify children or adult but I'm curious because I have a semi picky adult eater to deal with and I'm curious about the bracelet that comes with the children's meal.
    I am wondering the same thing....my daughter is 11 and she liked the kids options better then the adult so I would like to order her one of those. I really don't see the difference if you are paying the same price..I love the bag too really cool!!
    Summer trip here I come!!!

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Considering the show tickets are like fast passes, everyone 3 and up use the same fastpass, I'd go out on a limb and say that the show passes are going to be the same thing, which to me would explain why they're charging the same price for all the meals to avoid people buying the less expensive meal to get the showpass. Having said that, I've never had a problem ordering a childs meal without the CM seeing an under the 9 year old age limit standing with me so I'd think this would be the same.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

So I am curious, will the viewing area be the same spot as those who pay more for their meal versus the picnic option??
    This option is way more affordable for myself and my kids.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    So I am curious, will the viewing area be the same spot as those who pay more for their meal versus the picnic option??
    This option is way more affordable for myself and my kids.
    According to this post, there are three different levels of viewing areas and the Picnics are in the middle.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Just call me Sara~! lovindisneyland's Avatar

Smile

Oh! Isnt this news just splendid!? A lower dining option other then Trattoria and Ariels grotto. That is just fabulous! I think I might do that option instead! I like the trattoria/AG thing, but for just one person as myself its a bit much!
    I MOUSEPLANET

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

Thank you again for all of the info AVP!

Just call me Sara~! lovindisneyland's Avatar

OMG. those meals look soo good!! LOL

I MOUSEPLANET

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post
    Yeah, this is a most excellent thread! Thanks!

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i think there needs to be a sticky summary thread by MP where we can reference this between the multiple threads. basically we have the following. tell me if I'm wrong.
    1) if you buy a dining package you get the best viewing area (in paradise park)
    2) if you buy a picnic package you get 2nd best viewing area (either in park or on bridge)
    3) if you get the early fastpass (and not all guarenteed to be together for large groups) you get the 3rd best viewing area (either in park or bridge).

if you don't do any of these you will be able to see the show but not in an optimal viewing area - that is, not in Paradise Park nor on the bridge toward Ariel's. you'll get spots behind the show on the other side of the lake, on the side by swings or jellyfish or zephyr, etc.

if you don't get show 1 you can try show 2 and hang out in Hollywood Backlot - sorry, GlowFest - or wait in line for a few hours.

since most decent meals at the park cost around $15.00 anyway - I would definitely opt for a picnic spot.

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

I have to say those picnic meals look so tempting I'd be willing to preorder/pay for them even if the view stinks...because you're totally right, a decent meal is going to cost $15.00 in the park so the view ticket is pure 'bonus'

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

So where exactly can I/will I find the link to order at Disneyland.com? I realize the link isn't active yet, but I was curious where at the website I might find it. I'm not having any luck...

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by woody9six View Post
    So where exactly can I/will I find the link to order at Disneyland.com? I realize the link isn't active yet, but I was curious where at the website I might find it. I'm not having any luck...
    It's not there at all. They said "Disneyland.com," but I'm sure the World of Color landing page will have something too, or the "showtimes and info" page - on June 11th.

Maybe here

Or here

Or, possibly, here

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Thanks AVP, I totally misunderstood. I thought the link was there and just not active yet.

This sounds like an ideal option for us to guarantee vouchers for the first show. With 2 little ones, the late show just isn't an option and i want to be on top of this for our visit at the end of the month.

Blog Entries

This looks like the perfect option for our family's visit in July. We were disappointed that Ariel's and the Wine Country Options were just too much out of our budget.

Thanks for posting this, and we'll be sure and book it on the 11th.

"Your cadaverous pallor betrays an aura of foreboding, almost as though you sense a disquieting metamorphosis. Is this haunted room actually stretching?"

Don't call me Grumpy! CMHusband's Avatar

I'm not really understanding the advantage to buying one of these meals? Can't you just go and watch the show like you do for any other show? Get your fastpass in the morning and then see the show at night? What am I missing here? (Now, if a Corndog was on the menu- the reason would be obvious)

WOC picnic questions

Hi,

Here are a few WOC questions, maybe someone knows the answer to these.

Picnic meals are available online starting June 11th. We're a party that includes a 2 year old. Does he need a meal and a special reserved area ticket to get into the show with us, or can he just come because he's a non-ticketed person at this point?

I know you can pick up your picnic meal any time after 2, and the show is at 9. Does anyone know exactly where you'll go to line up for the show? And what time? Does lining up early provide you with any real benefit? Or are all picnic spots pretty much created equal?

Does anyone know of a link to a map of the viewing area? (like a concert venue map) It's been a few years since I've been at DCA (other than Bug's Land, ha ha), and I can't really picture this whole thing in my head clearly.

Thanks!

I don't know how much more info people have other than what it in the Parks Blog...

...but if there is more info out there, I'd love to hear it.

World of Color picnic lunch ordering

I'm up in the middle of night trying to order the picnic meal with World of Color reserved viewing ticket and am unable to get them to take my order for the All-American selection. Why? Because I keep getting the error message that it's only available to Southern California residents. Well, I live in San Diego! My zip code is for San Diego County but I guess that doesn't count for the requirement. Don't know what to do.
    Disneyland ~ Forever Close To My Heart ~

I was finally able to successfully order the World of Color picnic meal online after trying for OVER an hour. The picnic meal is EXTREMELY difficult to order! I have never encountered such difficulty in online ordering as I did for this and would've given up had it been for anything else. I tried all sorts of different payments options and combinations of such and was finally successful by paying 1/2 on a gift card and 1/2 on a credit card! The reason I was given for denial was that the online picnic meal is only available to Southern California residents and I live in San Diego County!
    A word of warning: The picnic meal option is weird and way too difficult. Next time, I'll do something else.

Quote Originally Posted by coronado_g View Post
    I was finally able to successfully order the World of Color picnic meal online after trying for OVER an hour. The picnic meal is EXTREMELY difficult to order! I have never encountered such difficulty in online ordering as I did for this and would've given up had it been for anything else. I tried all sorts of different payments options and combinations of such and was finally successful by paying 1/2 on a gift card and 1/2 on a credit card! The reason I was given for denial was that the online picnic meal is only available to Southern California residents and I live in San Diego County!
    A word of warning: The picnic meal option is weird and way too difficult. Next time, I'll do something else.
    Hmmm...that seems really strange. I live in Northern California, and had no problems ordering my meals for 6/29. I am wondering if there are/were glitches in the system since today was the announced date and there were tweaking things. Either way, really sorry you had so much trouble.

This was the WORST online ordering experience I've ever had - ever!! I'm, absolutely cross-eyed today after being up until 3:30 a.m. trying repeatedly to get a picnic meal. I tried the regular link with different meals, credit card, debit card, gift card...you name it...and was refused based on the message "the selection is available only to Southern California residents". (I live in San Diego!). Then I tried the Annual Passholder link because I have a SoCal Pass. I still had no success because of the Southern California resident requirement for buying picnic meals. I tried all different meals and all different ways to pay and FINALLY got the site to accept my order by paying 1/2 on an old gift card that I managed to find and 1/2 on a debit card. The site wouldn't take the gift card complete nor the debit card...only 1/2 and 1/2. Too weird. I'll never order a picnic meal again. NEVER.