Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RCI trade in to DVC

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RCI trade in to DVC

HI All,

I have a couple more months before I can do an RCI trade in to a DVC resort at WDW. First off any suggestions as to a resort to trade in to. I will need to leave from the DVC resort and switch over for a convention at one of the Downtown Disney Resorts so that might need to be taken in to consideration.

When I was at WDW at Christmas (stayed off site at Summer Bay Resorts Timeshare) I saw the resorts that are on the lagoon across from Downtown Disney those might be an option especially to take the water taxis across to DD every night. But we also wandered around the Yacht and Beach Club and the water taxis over to Epcot could be a plus too.

If you trade in to a DVC resort through RCI will you have the option to purchase the Disney Dining Plan with it?

Carolyn

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

The two resorts you are referring to, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West will have the most "inventory," and, it is quite possible may be the only options available to you. I've stayed at most of the resorts, and they all have their charms. For location and amenities, I like the Beach Club, but, I suspect, there won't be many DVC villas available through RCI, except for the larger DVC-only resorts.

We just traded into Saratoga Springs using my mom's RCI membership. There were not many choices, maybe like 9 weeks to choose from between September and April. We had already planned to go and stay at Coronado Springs the last week of September, but when we saw the SS availability through RCI we moved our vacation up a week and switched everything around (ADR's, MNSSHP plans, etc.). I called DVC and was able to add the dining plan to my RCI reservation. Also, there is a $95 resort fee that allows you to use magical express. Good luck!! Hope you can get the week you need!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adkinsfamily View Post
    We just traded into Saratoga Springs using my mom's RCI membership. There were not many choices, maybe like 9 weeks to choose from between September and April.
    That's the part that would concern me the most - availability at all.
    Cathy

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We have a Timeshare thru RCI and I asked to trade...but all I got was a "nothing available" and that was going early November. Glad you were able to trade.

Stephanie

I think it may depend on when you book. I plan to go to WDW at the end of July 2011 for my sorority convention so I was going to try to book in to a DVC resort this time. When RCI was first started doing trades in to DVC I was able to book okay for September, then the representative noticed my home resort was within 30 miles of WDW and said there were restrictions on that so I couldn't trade in. I've since switched deeds from Summer Bay Orlando to Summer Bay Las Vegas so there won't be that restriction anymore. I figure in August/September I'll start calling in to see if I can trade in to DVC - my problem is I may not have enough points until January when I get my new points allotment from Summer Bay and can transfer them over to RCI. If I can't trade in to DVC then I'll just stay at Summer Bay Orlando again, it's just a few miles from WDW

Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    We have a Timeshare thru RCI and I asked to trade...but all I got was a "nothing available" and that was going early November. Glad you were able to trade.
    To you and anyone else trying to trade your RCI week for WDW: Remember that first of all you must have a RED week. All DVC weeks are red, so you can't trade a blue or white for DVC. Second, per RCI trading rules, you cannot trade "up". That is, if you have "limited kitchen" on your week you can only trade for a studio. If you have a 1BR week you can trade for a studio or a 1BR. And if you have a 2BR you can trade for a studio, 1BR or 2BR.

As for how far out you can book, the limiting factors are:
    - DVC weeks that are on deposit with RCI. Since they can only be deposited one year prior to their assigned date, it would be impossible to have anything out there more than a year away.
    - the status of your RCI account - that is, you cannot book for a week beyond the through date of your paid-up RCI dues

Last of all, as for availability: about an hour ago I checked and there were six Sarasota Springs and one Old Key West week on deposit, at various times during the upcoming year.

Hope this all makes sense!
    Stan

another question

I have another question regarding DVC trade ins and points values.

When I'm looking at the RCI site, it appears that the Saratoga and Key west resorts are actually the cheapest in points to trade in to. However my friend who actually owns a DVC said for her that Animal Kingdom was cheapest in points. Does anyone doing an RCI trade know if Animal Kingdom is cheaper then one of the moderate level resorts?

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just found out yesterday that I could trade my RCI time share for DVC. How far out can I book?

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

stan2u, did you have to pay the exchange fee when you first made the request? I was surprised to find SSR and OKW on RCI 11 months out (2BR!) but am wanting next October so I still need to wait another month at least.

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    stan2u, did you have to pay the exchange fee when you first made the request? I was surprised to find SSR and OKW on RCI 11 months out (2BR!) but am wanting next October so I still need to wait another month at least.
    Yes, I paid the exchange fee up front. Actually, first I had tried a different exchange and paid the fee for that, but that didn't work out, so I still had my fee "on account".
    Stan

I'm getting my hopes up! I found a 2BR at SSR available for 2 straight weeks next August on RCI points!!! OKW has a few too but not for 2 weeks. I'm holding out for them to release October in the next month or so on points.

Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I'm getting my hopes up! I found a 2BR at SSR available for 2 straight weeks next August on RCI points!!! OKW has a few too but not for 2 weeks. I'm holding out for them to release October in the next month or so on points.
    Shannon, don't wait for them to show up on line. Call in and get an ongoing request. Lots of rooms come available but NEVER show up on line because of the ongoing requests snatching them up first.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by stan2u View Post
    Shannon, don't wait for them to show up on line. Call in and get an ongoing request. Lots of rooms come available but NEVER show up on line because of the ongoing requests snatching them up first.
    My vacation money is tied up in orthodontal bills right now. I have to wait on reimbursement from my insurance company. Besides the points system only books 10 months in advance so mid-August is the furthest out they are.
    Shannon

Rci

I am thinking of planing a trip to DisneyWorld in a couple of years, and would like to use RCI points at Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Wilderness. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was. We will probably go at the end of October when it is less crowded.

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was.
    I merged your question with an existing thread on the same topic - hopefully the other posts can help answer your questions.
    Cathy

I am thinking of planing a trip to DisneyWorld in a couple of years, and would like to use RCI points at Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Wilderness. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was. We will probably go at the end of October when it is less crowded.
    I'm also looking at RCI Points for the fall (next fall). Are you needing a studio/1 BR or 2 BR?

1) They open up 10 months out. I'm not sure if you can put your request in before the 10 month window or not.

2) Currently for 10 months out I've seen 1BR at AKL and 1 or 2 BR at WL. I've never seen BLT. Currently for Labor Day weekend (which is the furthest its listed right now) they also have 1-2BR at Beach Club and Boardwalk, Old Key West and SSR.
    Shannon

Reservation Number?

Is there any way to pull up your reservation in Disney's system? Also do I just call the resort or DVC to arrange DME, DDP, etc? My OKW reservation number is very short and mostly 0s so I'm thinking I need a different reservation number when I try to make ADRs. I want to get it all sorted out before our 180 days comes up.

Shannon

Visiting WDW Since 1982

If you are talking about an RCI trade, you need to cal lthe DVC and find out "their" reservation number - not RCI's. Then you should be able to use that to pull stuff up.

Stan

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Is there any way to pull up your reservation in Disney's system?
    This is somewhat of an interesting question because normally DVC Member Services will not talk to anyone other than members, even if a member makes a ressie for someone else. (Though I know you made your ressie via RCI.)

Because of that, makes me wonder if you would have to call RCI instead to see what their process is to try to take care of DME, DDP, etc. Like what Stan mentioned, they may have some sort of "cross-reference" number for Disney and I would think they would get this asked these sort of questions often and would direct you to the correct number to call if RCI does not deal with those details directly.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Visiting WDW Since 1982
    If I could trade for a 1BR Beach Club in April, I certainly think you've got a very good chance. The more resort options you request, the better the chance at getting one of them. Just be sure to call in and speak to an RCI rep - don't try to do it on line.
    Stan

How far ahead of time should I call and make the request?

I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

WOO HOO!!! I just traded for a 2BR in BCV for arrival Labor Day weekend through RCI Points!!!!! Next Wednesday when DH gets his big OT check I'll book our 2nd week at SSR, but I HAD to get BCV while I could.

Shannon

Visiting WDW Since 1982

My only advice would be to save your Dpwntown Disney visit for the second week, since you'll be so close.

Stan

Blog Entries

The queue at the Studios is NOTHING like the queue in DCA. You really want to see it!