Quantcast RCI trade in to DVC
  Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World | User Reviews | Travel
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: RCI trade in to DVC

  1. #1

    RCI trade in to DVC

    HI All,

    I have a couple more months before I can do an RCI trade in to a DVC resort at WDW. First off any suggestions as to a resort to trade in to. I will need to leave from the DVC resort and switch over for a convention at one of the Downtown Disney Resorts so that might need to be taken in to consideration.

    When I was at WDW at Christmas (stayed off site at Summer Bay Resorts Timeshare) I saw the resorts that are on the lagoon across from Downtown Disney those might be an option especially to take the water taxis across to DD every night. But we also wandered around the Yacht and Beach Club and the water taxis over to Epcot could be a plus too.

    If you trade in to a DVC resort through RCI will you have the option to purchase the Disney Dining Plan with it?

    Carolyn

    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

  2. # ADS

    Join Date
    Location
    Posts
     

  3. #2

    The two resorts you are referring to, Saratoga Springs and Old Key West will have the most "inventory," and, it is quite possible may be the only options available to you. I've stayed at most of the resorts, and they all have their charms. For location and amenities, I like the Beach Club, but, I suspect, there won't be many DVC villas available through RCI, except for the larger DVC-only resorts.


  4. #3

    We just traded into Saratoga Springs using my mom's RCI membership. There were not many choices, maybe like 9 weeks to choose from between September and April. We had already planned to go and stay at Coronado Springs the last week of September, but when we saw the SS availability through RCI we moved our vacation up a week and switched everything around (ADR's, MNSSHP plans, etc.). I called DVC and was able to add the dining plan to my RCI reservation. Also, there is a $95 resort fee that allows you to use magical express. Good luck!! Hope you can get the week you need!


  5. #4
    Ready for MA World Explorers!
    MousePad Subscriber
    MousePad Community Leader
    Drince88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    N.O. LA
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by adkinsfamily View Post
    We just traded into Saratoga Springs using my mom's RCI membership. There were not many choices, maybe like 9 weeks to choose from between September and April.
    That's the part that would concern me the most - availability at all.
    Cathy

  6. #5
    Gravity release me...
    MousePad Community Leader
    tappenfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Wishin' we were back in Disney
    Blog Entries
    1

    We have a Timeshare thru RCI and I asked to trade...but all I got was a "nothing available" and that was going early November. Glad you were able to trade.




    Stephanie

  7. #6

    I think it may depend on when you book. I plan to go to WDW at the end of July 2011 for my sorority convention so I was going to try to book in to a DVC resort this time. When RCI was first started doing trades in to DVC I was able to book okay for September, then the representative noticed my home resort was within 30 miles of WDW and said there were restrictions on that so I couldn't trade in. I've since switched deeds from Summer Bay Orlando to Summer Bay Las Vegas so there won't be that restriction anymore. I figure in August/September I'll start calling in to see if I can trade in to DVC - my problem is I may not have enough points until January when I get my new points allotment from Summer Bay and can transfer them over to RCI. If I can't trade in to DVC then I'll just stay at Summer Bay Orlando again, it's just a few miles from WDW

    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

  8. #7
    Gravity release me...
    MousePad Community Leader
    tappenfeat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Wishin' we were back in Disney
    Blog Entries
    1

    We have stayed at Summer Bay in Orlando. I thought it was quite lovely!

    I only wish we spent more time enjoying this timeshare. That week went by so fast.




    Stephanie

  9. #8

    another question

    I have another question regarding DVC trade ins and points values.

    When I'm looking at the RCI site, it appears that the Saratoga and Key west resorts are actually the cheapest in points to trade in to. However my friend who actually owns a DVC said for her that Animal Kingdom was cheapest in points. Does anyone doing an RCI trade know if Animal Kingdom is cheaper then one of the moderate level resorts?

    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

  10. #9
    Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Temecula, CA
    Blog Entries
    1

    I just found out yesterday that I could trade my RCI time share for DVC. How far out can I book?

    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

  11. #10
    Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seabeck, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by tappenfeat View Post
    We have a Timeshare thru RCI and I asked to trade...but all I got was a "nothing available" and that was going early November. Glad you were able to trade.
    To you and anyone else trying to trade your RCI week for WDW: Remember that first of all you must have a RED week. All DVC weeks are red, so you can't trade a blue or white for DVC. Second, per RCI trading rules, you cannot trade "up". That is, if you have "limited kitchen" on your week you can only trade for a studio. If you have a 1BR week you can trade for a studio or a 1BR. And if you have a 2BR you can trade for a studio, 1BR or 2BR.

    As for how far out you can book, the limiting factors are:
    - DVC weeks that are on deposit with RCI. Since they can only be deposited one year prior to their assigned date, it would be impossible to have anything out there more than a year away.
    - the status of your RCI account - that is, you cannot book for a week beyond the through date of your paid-up RCI dues

    Last of all, as for availability: about an hour ago I checked and there were six Sarasota Springs and one Old Key West week on deposit, at various times during the upcoming year.

    Hope this all makes sense!
    Stan

  12. #11

    I'm hoping to do this next fall. We already have ASMu Family suite booked with free dining, but a trade would be cheaper. I always thought we needed a 2 BR for our family of 6, but since DS will still be 2 we could get AKL 1 BR (or BLT 1BR but I'm not holding my breath)!!! So my options are expanding and I will put in my request in January when my next year's points are deposited since we want 2 weeks!!

    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(12), J(9) and R(7), and Mr. N(5)

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stan2u View Post
    To you and anyone else trying to trade your RCI week for WDW: Remember that first of all you must have a RED week. All DVC weeks are red, so you can't trade a blue or white for DVC. Second, per RCI trading rules, you cannot trade "up". That is, if you have "limited kitchen" on your week you can only trade for a studio. If you have a 1BR week you can trade for a studio or a 1BR. And if you have a 2BR you can trade for a studio, 1BR or 2BR.

    As for how far out you can book, the limiting factors are:
    - DVC weeks that are on deposit with RCI. Since they can only be deposited one year prior to their assigned date, it would be impossible to have anything out there more than a year away.
    - the status of your RCI account - that is, you cannot book for a week beyond the through date of your paid-up RCI dues

    Last of all, as for availability: about an hour ago I checked and there were six Sarasota Springs and one Old Key West week on deposit, at various times during the upcoming year.

    Hope this all makes sense!
    HI Stan,

    I'm on RCI points so it's a bit different then the weeks trading. I own 2 different timeshares both the equivalent of Red weeks but they are on point systems.

    Just using one of the timeshares I would have enough points to trade in to a 1 bedroom but I'm thinking I'm going to end up using all the points in my RCI account for this year to try to trade in to a 2 bedroom, or get two 1 bedrooms.

    I'm going to be at WDW at the end of July/beginning of August for my sorority's convention (we'll be at the Hilton at Downtown Disney). My plan is try to trade in to DVC for the 1st week of August. If I can't then I can always trade in to one of the other timeshares near Disney.

    Carolyn
    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiSigDuchessCV View Post
    HI Stan,

    I'm on RCI points so it's a bit different then the weeks trading. I own 2 different timeshares both the equivalent of Red weeks but they are on point systems.

    Just using one of the timeshares I would have enough points to trade in to a 1 bedroom but I'm thinking I'm going to end up using all the points in my RCI account for this year to try to trade in to a 2 bedroom, or get two 1 bedrooms.

    I'm going to be at WDW at the end of July/beginning of August for my sorority's convention (we'll be at the Hilton at Downtown Disney). My plan is try to trade in to DVC for the 1st week of August. If I can't then I can always trade in to one of the other timeshares near Disney.

    Carolyn
    Keep in mind that two one-bedroom units would be a bit of overkill-you would have two full kitchens! You also, probably, would not have attached units, or necessarily, adjourning units, which would be an issue with kids. A two bedroom has two bathrooms, a full kitchen and living room, as well as washer/dryer. It might be a one bedroom, with an attached studio (which has a kitchenette, but no washer/dryer). A two bedroom has lots of space-about 1,000 square feet.

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by mom22gls View Post
    Keep in mind that two one-bedroom units would be a bit of overkill-you would have two full kitchens! You also, probably, would not have attached units, or necessarily, adjourning units, which would be an issue with kids. A two bedroom has two bathrooms, a full kitchen and living room, as well as washer/dryer. It might be a one bedroom, with an attached studio (which has a kitchenette, but no washer/dryer). A two bedroom has lots of space-about 1,000 square feet.
    Thanks for the information. The reason I may get two 1 bedroom unis is it will be all adults going. My sorority's convention is at the Hilton at Downtown Disney at the end of July. A bunch of us (and perhaps spouses/boyfriends) are thinking of staying the week after to visit the parks. Depending on how many of us do this I may need the 2 units for space and privacy. If it's not a lot of us then the single 2 bedroom unit will work.
    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

  16. #15

    Some members of the party may do perfectly fine in a studio, if you would not be using the kitchen for anything but a quick breakfast. A studio is basically like a Deluxe hotel room, with a kitchenette. The laundry facilities are not in the room, but are free. If you got a one-bedroom, you would have the "visiting" space. You will, almost certainly, end up at Old Key West, or Saratoga Springs. Both are lovely resorts, but quite spread out, and it does not have a hotel sort of atmosphere. You may be a bit of a distance from a themed pool, but I find the quiet pools adequate for a dip. For you, a two bedroom would be fine, but even if you get one one-bedroom, and one studio, in the same part of the resort, that would work out well, also.


  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by mom22gls View Post
    Some members of the party may do perfectly fine in a studio, if you would not be using the kitchen for anything but a quick breakfast. A studio is basically like a Deluxe hotel room, with a kitchenette. The laundry facilities are not in the room, but are free. If you got a one-bedroom, you would have the "visiting" space. You will, almost certainly, end up at Old Key West, or Saratoga Springs. Both are lovely resorts, but quite spread out, and it does not have a hotel sort of atmosphere. You may be a bit of a distance from a themed pool, but I find the quiet pools adequate for a dip. For you, a two bedroom would be fine, but even if you get one one-bedroom, and one studio, in the same part of the resort, that would work out well, also.
    Thanks for the information. This will help me when I decide what to book.
    Still need to win the lotto so I can plan trips to Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disney, and Hong Kong Disney.
    I love: my cats, scrapbooking, and all things Disney

  18. #17
    Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seabeck, WA

    We just scored a one week trade through RCI!!! We got a week with a 1BR (NOT studio) unit at the Beach Club Villlas. We made out request for either BCV or Boardwalk - our request was "in the hopper" for less than a month.

    So here's my findings:
    - First of all, ALL Disney DVC sites are fair game. Don't rule anything out automatically.
    - All time frames are fair game.
    - There are units that will come available and go to someone with an active request, without there ever appearing on the RCI website.

    So here is what I recommend:
    - Decide on the time window (or windows) that will work for you (we specified anytime in April or May)
    - Decide - realistically - which sites are acceptable (we specified either BCV or BWV)
    - CALL IN for an ongoing site request. Be sure to tell them that you ONLY want DVC and the specific sites that will work for you. Don't bother to try setting this up on line -- I tried but could NOT get it to work for specific resorts only.
    - Give yourself some lead time. In our case, we requested 6-7 months in advance.
    - Be patient - don't expect an immediate response.

    Remember the keys here are flexibility and patience. And good luck!

    Stan

  19. #18

    stan2u, did you have to pay the exchange fee when you first made the request? I was surprised to find SSR and OKW on RCI 11 months out (2BR!) but am wanting next October so I still need to wait another month at least.


  20. #19
    Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seabeck, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    stan2u, did you have to pay the exchange fee when you first made the request? I was surprised to find SSR and OKW on RCI 11 months out (2BR!) but am wanting next October so I still need to wait another month at least.
    Yes, I paid the exchange fee up front. Actually, first I had tried a different exchange and paid the fee for that, but that didn't work out, so I still had my fee "on account".
    Stan

  21. #20

    I'm getting my hopes up! I found a 2BR at SSR available for 2 straight weeks next August on RCI points!!! OKW has a few too but not for 2 weeks. I'm holding out for them to release October in the next month or so on points.

    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(12), J(9) and R(7), and Mr. N(5)

  22. #21
    Visiting WDW Since 1982
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Seabeck, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    I'm getting my hopes up! I found a 2BR at SSR available for 2 straight weeks next August on RCI points!!! OKW has a few too but not for 2 weeks. I'm holding out for them to release October in the next month or so on points.
    Shannon, don't wait for them to show up on line. Call in and get an ongoing request. Lots of rooms come available but NEVER show up on line because of the ongoing requests snatching them up first.
    Stan

  23. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by stan2u View Post
    Shannon, don't wait for them to show up on line. Call in and get an ongoing request. Lots of rooms come available but NEVER show up on line because of the ongoing requests snatching them up first.
    My vacation money is tied up in orthodontal bills right now. I have to wait on reimbursement from my insurance company. Besides the points system only books 10 months in advance so mid-August is the furthest out they are.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(12), J(9) and R(7), and Mr. N(5)

  24. #23

    Rci

    I am thinking of planing a trip to DisneyWorld in a couple of years, and would like to use RCI points at Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Wilderness. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was. We will probably go at the end of October when it is less crowded.

    I don't know and I don't care if It's a Small World. It's a nice day when you wake up in Disneyland.

  25. #24
    Ready for MA World Explorers!
    MousePad Subscriber
    MousePad Community Leader
    Drince88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    N.O. LA
    Blog Entries
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was.
    I merged your question with an existing thread on the same topic - hopefully the other posts can help answer your questions.
    Cathy

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by WITron View Post
    I am thinking of planing a trip to DisneyWorld in a couple of years, and would like to use RCI points at Bay Lake, Animal Kingdom Lodge, or the Wilderness. I am just wondering if anyone has done this and how easy it was. We will probably go at the end of October when it is less crowded.
    I'm also looking at RCI Points for the fall (next fall). Are you needing a studio/1 BR or 2 BR?

    1) They open up 10 months out. I'm not sure if you can put your request in before the 10 month window or not.

    2) Currently for 10 months out I've seen 1BR at AKL and 1 or 2 BR at WL. I've never seen BLT. Currently for Labor Day weekend (which is the furthest its listed right now) they also have 1-2BR at Beach Club and Boardwalk, Old Key West and SSR.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(12), J(9) and R(7), and Mr. N(5)

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •