1 16.67%
  • 7:45 PM

0 0%
  • 8:00 PM

0 0%
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: World of Color prix-fixe dining package - Information and Experiences

Quote Originally Posted by erica84 View Post
    My fiance and I leave for our trip in just a few days and I booked PS for Ariel's Grotto (to celebrate our recent engagement! ) on Tues. 6/22 at 6:30. Once we're done with dinner we plan on heading over to Paradise Bay to get our spot. My fiance has a foot issue that makes it very painful if he's standing in one place for a long period of time. My question is - do CM's allow people to sit on the ground until WOC is almost about to start? Or do they require everyone remain standing so they're able to squeeze more people in? Thanks for everyone's help!
    Have a great time, neighbor (I'm in Sac). I wonder if you can buy one of those portable folding stools, and bring it with you:

http://www.portablefoldingchairs.com...5ff4525bed3e35
    Siggy aka Jill

2. # ADS

I'd rather be park-hopping... erica84's Avatar

Hi neighbor! That's a great idea! I wonder if Security would allow us to bring that in? It's definitely worth looking into. Thanks so much!

Can't wait for our next trip to my favorite place on Earth!

WOC continues to bogle (sp?) my mind. First there are at least 3 threads dealing with different methods of attending. Minor point-It seems to me all of these belong in the Trip Planning forum. 2nd the information in general--which is the best method, what's the best color, where's the best place to be--is all over the place. There's no consensus.

I consider myself a Disney planning expert. We never wait in line, we're alway at the best spot to view things, etc. But I just can't get a handle on this show. First I can't believe it causes a good chunk of the park to close down for more than a third of the day. I don't understand that you need to line of early to get a FP at a set of machines that are then closed for another ride. I don't get what buying a picnic or reservation at a restaurant does for you since you don't watch the show from there. I don't get why Ariel's, which is right at the water, doesn't have special seating on their patio--or they do? Where is darkbeer's Guide to WOC? His guide to FP was a life changer for me.

My head hurts.

WOC experience update - Preferred Dining - Friday 9:00 showing

Yesterday, we saw WOC. Wow! For those of you planning of going, you will like it. Some notes on our experience yesterday that may help in your planning:

We had reservations for WCT preferred dining around 5:30. While it does cost a few bucks, the experience made it worthwhile. We arrived at WCT about 10 minutes early. Stepped up to the podium. They check our name and directed us to go upstairs. There were were met by a server who took us to our table.

Being upstairs allowed us to get out of the hussle and bustle and noise of the day. It can get pretty noisy there at the park. It was a welcome breather. Service was very good. Menus came, drinks came quickly, but not at all rushed. We selected our menu items and placed the orders with the server. In our party, we had people with allergies, so we requested certain things on some dishes such as no nuts, no shrimp, etc. For the steaks, we requested real medium rare (with the red still in the middle).

Bread came. Salads good. All the meals were delivered just as we had ordered, even the red rare steak. When we finished the first bread basket, they brought us another. Dessert was good with a small selection of different tastes. Chocolate crunch tart and fresh berries and some type of lemony custard/pudding that came in a small cup. Interestingly, they did not have spoons for this (we asked). We ended up using forks. One note, they no longer offer a shared antipasto platter. That is no longer included in the meal.

The staff at WCT was great. After we paid for the meal, the server brought out our WOC passes. We then headed to the WOC area about 6:45. The actual viewing zones were roped off by now, but the mail walkway along the front of buildings was still wide open. We walked to the center area, when the entrance to the preferred viewing area is located. We were told that everyone was being cleared out of the whole area and we would have to go back to the area sort of near the walkway that leads to Grizzy Rapids.

They then placed barricades up so no one could enter the entire area until sometime between 7 and 7:30 when the area opened up. Hundreds of guests lined up in a long line along the edge of the walkway. The line snaked all the way towards Grizzy Rapids. As I walked along the line and asked people what type of passes they had in that line. Turns out there was every kind of pass in the line, preferred, picnic, and all the fast pass colors. People say they got in the line, just because they saw a line.

We went to the opposite side of the barricades, closer to the water side of the walkway, where there were just a few people. After asking 5 different cast members where they would actually open up the barricades and let us in, we got five different answers. All these cast members were really nice and communicated well, its just that it seems not a lot of people knew what was really going to happen. We spoke to a lead cast member who came by where were were standing. He said that the actual entrance where they open up the line to get in, is not one location. They actually had 4 or 5.

Being on the water side of the barricades, we were at one of the openings. I asked him why hundreds of people were lined up on the other side and the lead said he did not know except that sometimes where people see a line, they get in it.

CMs several times walked around instructing people they would enter here and then get in an official line just outside of their designated viewing zone. The entrance here was just a check point and people would line up after they got in to the general walkway area.

At about 7:10, they opened up several areas of the barricades. A cast member attempted to check the time of peoples passes as they were let in. Even though we were right in the front of the people at this entrance, there was still the "need to run" mentality of many in the crowd. The usual pushing and shoving as some people forced their way through the crowd. Not sure why people had to do this just to get into another line and wait.

We walked to the center section at the top of the stairs, showed our Preferred Dining passes and were the second or third group let in to the area. We basically had our pick of where to stand. We ended up in a great spot in the main circle area in the center, in front, st the top two steps. This way, were were able to sit on the top step while we waited and then stand on main circle, over looking everyone who was on lower levels in front of us.

The preshow was good. The WOC was great. The entrance / queue process could really use some signage. Big signs that let people know where to line up. One that says Preferred Passes, another Picnic, and a big sign for each of the colors. I hope Disney is working on this. It would reduce a lot of guest confusion. While we were waiting, we watched guest after guest ask cast members the same questions such as "where do we line up" and "where do we go." A map with the different zones may also be a good idea.

So the wait is long, bring a book or talk to the people around you, yet the show is great. Highly recommended. After a long day at the park, treat yourself to a relaxing dinner with the somewhat pricey Preferred Dining and then enjoy the show. You deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by erica84 View Post
    Hi neighbor! That's a great idea! I wonder if Security would allow us to bring that in? It's definitely worth looking into. Thanks so much!
    You are welcome. Why would they object to that? It looks like it does not take up much more room than standing! Btw-there are alot of posters on this board from the Sacramento area!
    Siggy aka Jill

I have a question...

Can you purchase the Premium Viewing dinner at Ariel's Grotto, but choose to remain at your table to watch the show? I know the animation won't be visible, but from what people are saying about the standing viewing areas, the chance of getting a good site line is scant anyway. At least we could see the watershow. I really like Luminaria with a 360 view. So bummed about the standing viewing.

Thanks!

I know they said there is no outdoor seating available after 7:30 at Ariels. I imagine watching the show from the inside would not really be possible.

Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Quote Originally Posted by ctemkg View Post
    WOC experience update - Preferred Dining - Friday 9:00 showing

Yesterday, we saw WOC. Wow! For those of you planning of going, you will like it. Some notes on our experience yesterday that may help in your planning:...

...So the wait is long, bring a book or talk to the people around you, yet the show is great. Highly recommended. After a long day at the park, treat yourself to a relaxing dinner with the somewhat pricey Preferred Dining and then enjoy the show. You deserve it.
    Thank you so much for your detailed review!
    I really appreciate all the information we can get on the actual lining up and waiting situation, the more prepared we are, the less confused and frustrated... etc.

However, all I can think of when I read each review is that everyone is actually still having to stand and wait for over 2 hours prior to the show... just to ensure you have a view that's better than seeing only the head and shoulders (and most likely their camera screen) of the person in front of you. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by houseofmouse View Post
    I know they said there is no outdoor seating available after 7:30 at Ariels. I imagine watching the show from the inside would not really be possible.
    As of Friday, it looks as though the outdoor area at Ariels is cleared out well before the show starts. They only people in that area were CMs cleaning up the tables.

Quote Originally Posted by MeRSiamese View Post
    However, all I can think of when I read each review is that everyone is actually still having to stand and wait for over 2 hours prior to the show... just to ensure you have a view that's better than seeing only the head and shoulders (and most likely their camera screen) of the person in front of you. :-(
    You are right that there is a long wait. Most people were sitting on the ground for much of the time. The preshow starts about 20 mins before the WOC start time.

You are right that there is a long wait. Most people were sitting on the ground for much of the time. The preshow starts about 20 mins before the WOC start time.
    And one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere at all is a potty break for the 2+ hour wait...?
    I mean... once you are herded into your colored line... to wait for it to open... then find a spot and stand to hold it... waiting 2 hours for the show to start... where's the closest restroom and how do you get back to join your party in the crowd?
    In other words... don't imbibe on any of those "lit" drinks prior to the wait, right?
    ... just picturing our 8-yr old grandson asking to go about 2 hrs into the wait...

And one thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere at all is a potty break for the 2+ hour wait...?
    Ah yes...We all have to use the bathroom from time to time...

Here's what we did. After we were finally in to the WOC viewing area and found our spots to sit and stand, those that had to use the bathroom did so. We went to the CM at the entrance to the viewing area, were given back entry passes (which we had to turn in upon our original entry). Then off to the bathroom. Upon reentry, we handed in the pass and walked carefully around those sitting to get back to our spot. It is a challenge to walk around people, yet most there were accommodating to those walking by. Just be sure there are people left in the viewing area to hold your spot while you are gone.

Depending on where your viewing spot is, the closest bathrooms may be those along the walkway heading to Grizzy Rapids.

Here's what we did. After we were finally in to the WOC viewing area and found our spots to sit and stand, those that had to use the bathroom did so. We went to the CM at the entrance to the viewing area, were given back entry passes (which we had to turn in upon our original entry). Then off to the bathroom. Upon reentry, we handed in the pass and walked carefully around those sitting to get back to our spot. It is a challenge to walk around people, yet most there were accommodating to those walking by. Just be sure there are people left in the viewing area to hold your spot while you are gone.

Depending on where your viewing spot is, the closest bathrooms may be those along the walkway heading to Grizzy Rapids.
    This'll be interesting for those of us in wheelchairs/scooters. It's part of why the HCA section for F! works. I couldn't imagine squeezing my chair in and out of the standard view area for that show. I'm sure it'll be ironed out by our September trip (fingers crossed).

Wouldn't the area by the Cocina Cucumonga and La Brea Bakery be the closest bathrooms? Or the ones by Ariels new ride?

Have a Disney Day!

Wouldn't the area by the Cocina Cucumonga and La Brea Bakery be the closest bathrooms? Or the ones by Ariels new ride?
    The bathrooms by La Bea Bakery are out of the way unless you are standing near the bridge that go into that area. Most of the viewing areas are further down the other direction along the front of the lake. There are peole who view WOC from the bridge going to the back boardwalk, but that is not the best view. Good, but not the best since it is more along the side of the show, not the front.

The bathrooms by Ariels new ride are the bathrooms along the walkway gong to Grizzy Rapids.

Quote Originally Posted by The old man View Post
    I consider myself a Disney planning expert. We never wait in line, we're alway at the best spot to view things, etc. But I just can't get a handle on this show.
    We consider ourselves Disney planning experts too, and we hate waiting in lines too! Now that we've done WOC preferred dining twice, we think we have a handle on it. The bulk of the waiting is not in line, it's sitting on the cement (or stairs) in the viewing area after you've secured an amazing spot because you got there at 6:45pm. We're OK with it because we can chat with each other and our neighbors, some of whom have brought crossword puzzles and other distractions. I'd imagine it's no different than putting a blanket down at the edge of Rivers of America for Fantasmic 3 hours before it starts, which people seem to do a lot of...

I don't get what buying a picnic or reservation at a restaurant does for you since you don't watch the show from there.
    It guarantees you a spot in the absolute best viewing area (best if you can get there in time to take a spot at the railing or top of the stairs so no one blocks your view ), and it eliminates the need to show up at park opening to wait in line for a FASTPASS that may turn out to be in the crummy red section. The picnic option is nearly as good, since they seem to be handing out Blue and Yellow FASTPASSes with those.

Here's what the colored seating areas were on Saturday. They were the same when we went the Saturday before, but delineated slightly differently. Now Yellow gets way more front-center real estate:

I don't get why Ariel's, which is right at the water, doesn't have special seating on their patio--or they do?
    Quote Originally Posted by wenidog View Post
    I
    Can you purchase the Premium Viewing dinner at Ariel's Grotto, but choose to remain at your table to watch the show?
    They close the seating area at 7:30pm. And they do that because the patio is at the wrong angle for the show and close enough to get drenched.

On Saturday night, there were still people eating out on Ariel's patio at 8:30pm, but they were all at the very back of the patio. Here's apicture I took earlier in the day of the view of the show from the back of the patio:

And here's the view from the front, if they actually let you stand there:

Bringing in your own chairs

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post
    Have a great time, neighbor (I'm in Sac). I wonder if you can buy one of those portable folding stools, and bring it with you:

I tried to bring in a folding umbrella chair for the long lines at the Food & Wine Festival and they wouldn't let me bring it into the park and, also, they said that even if security had missed it that the CM would not allow you to use it in a line. So we had to trek it back out to the car. Of course, depending on the CM you may find a different answer but so far I have yet to have one tell me it's okay to bring folding chairs -- of any kind -- into the park. My suggestion would be to rent a wheelchair. Which is what we ended up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by SigalTchelet View Post

I saw two people with these sitting in our section on Saturday night. They fold up practically to cane size, so they must pass the no-chair test with Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    We consider ourselves Disney planning experts too, and we hate waiting in lines too! Now that we've done WOC preferred dining twice, we think we have a handle on it. The bulk of the waiting is not in line, it's sitting on the cement (or stairs) in the viewing area after you've secured an amazing spot because you got there at 6:45pm. We're OK with it because we can chat with each other and our neighbors, some of whom have brought crossword puzzles and other distractions. I'd imagine it's no different than putting a blanket down at the edge of Rivers of America for Fantasmic 3 hours before it starts, which people seem to do a lot of...
    Yes, except if you buy the Fantasmic dessert seating option - you get a chair and no waiting (unless you are fussy about the front row)... :-(

...It guarantees you a spot in the absolute best viewing area (best if you can get there in time to take a spot at the railing or top of the stairs so no one blocks your view ), and it eliminates the need to show up at park opening to wait in line for a FASTPASS that may turn out to be in the crummy red section. The picnic option is nearly as good, since they seem to be handing out Blue and Yellow FASTPASSes with those.

Here's what the colored seating areas were on Saturday. They were the same when we went the Saturday before, but delineated slightly differently. Now Yellow gets way more front-center real estate:

Wow... so the preferred dining does not even have the option of the very front front?? I've seen many videos and from the second tier you still get the annoying led screens of people videorecording, and we didn't care about getting wet - just would like to have front section view...

...They close the seating area at 7:30pm. And they do that because the patio is at the wrong angle for the show and close enough to get drenched.

On Saturday night, there were still people eating out on Ariel's patio at 8:30pm, but they were all at the very back of the patio. Here's apicture I took earlier in the day of the view of the show from the back of the patio:...
    THANK YOU so much for those pics - it really helps to see the viewing angle from the restaurant!! I really appreciate them!! :-)

THANK YOU so much for this - at least we aren't "locked" into our spot as long as someone in our party holds the space for us...

Thanks for the pics. I see right where I should stand.
    So the platform is still not hidden from view during the day??

Have a Disney Day!

Thanks for the pics. I see right where I should stand.
    So the platform is still not hidden from view during the day??
    Yeah, we were surprised about that too. I'm sure the people over on MiceChat have endlessly dissected why that is, but it seems like Disney should be able to hide it!

Yes, except if you buy the Fantasmic dessert seating option - you get a chair and no waiting (unless you are fussy about the front row)... :-(
    I guess we are fussy about the front row! When we did the Fantasmic dessert viewing had to wait in line for an hour just to sign in so we could reserve some of what we thought were too few seats with an unobstructed view. Considering that we could have walked right up for a good spot at a later Fantasmic show, we didn't think it was worth it for a few ice-cold brownies.

Wow... so the preferred dining does not even have the option of the very front front?? I've seen many videos and from the second tier you still get the annoying led screens of people videorecording, and we didn't care about getting wet - just would like to have front section view...
    The very front is so close to the show that you have to swivel your head from side to side to see the other 2 screens. Here are some shots we took from the front of the preferred dining viewing area. We liked being able to see the jets on the surface of the water *and* all three screens at once.

I guess it's all personal preferenceit sounds like a Blue or Yellow FASTPASS given with the picnic option is the best bet for you, especially since no one seemed very interested in running to the front of the Yellow section the night we were there. You'd have your pick of splash-zone spots!

Based on all the information I have read, if I have a short wife (5'1"), two small kids (4, 6) and a baby, do I need to get a front row in the preferred dining area for them to see? I do have reservations at Ariel's Grotto when we are there.

Quote Originally Posted by dznycrazy View Post
    Based on all the information I have read, if I have a short wife (5'1"), two small kids (4, 6) and a baby, do I need to get a front row in the preferred dining area for them to see? I do have reservations at Ariel's Grotto when we are there.
    I had purchased the prix-fixe dining package option at WCT for Sunday, June 13th and the 9:00 WoC show. There was lots of confusion that night and not a whole lot of direction, as we were sent to the 'Blue Area' by mistake. I had kind of thought this at the time, but after seeing this picture and the 'Green Circle' area being for the preferred dining option, I now know it as true .

However, as it turned out, our viewing area was prime. We were on the third tier of the blue area, just to the right of the green area, and right at the railing. No one could get in front of us and we could view all 3 screens at once (without giving ourselves whiplash ). Plus, it was perfect viewing for the pre-show. My daughter, who is only 4'10", could see perfectly and was able to take some unobstructed photos of everything . A man in the green circle area even put a child on his shoulders, without it affecting our view.

If you can, try to get somehwhere in this area. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 06-21-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: fixed vB code, please keep quote to approx. length of reply

Love my Happy Place!! mrsdisney68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EeyoreAdorer View Post
    We were on the third tier of the blue area, just to the right of the green area, and right at the railing. No one could get in front of us and we could view all 3 screens at once (without giving ourselves whiplash ). Plus, it was perfect viewing for the pre-show. My daughter, who is only 4'10", could see perfectly and was able to take some unobstructed photos of everything . A man in the green circle area even put a child on his shoulders, without it affecting our view. If you can, try to get somehwhere in this area. Hope this helps.
    When you say third tier do you mean closer to the water right?? I just trying to get a handle on this because I know my daughter and I will have a hard time seeing if we have people in front of us...we are both around 5'2"...so this sounds like a good spot but I am trying to figure out where you mean..thanks.
    Last edited by stan4d_steph; 06-21-2010 at 06:51 PM. Reason: please keep quote and reply to approximately equal lengths.
    Summer trip here I come!!!