Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Book with land comparisons over time [Disneyland]

Book with land comparisons over time [Disneyland]

I bought at DL the book "Disneyland now, then and forever". I have a lot of books about Walt's life and park history, so the thing that most like to me about this book was a few images comparing different years on the same land or attraction ("what was there before...?"). I wonder if is it any book entire dedicated to this matter.... I mean with great photos showing the transformation of every land. Does anyone know if exists?

thanks!

2. # ADS

Yesterdayland

Not a book - but a web site.

I visited YESTERDAYLAND, just because of your post.

I had to laugh! - They have already updated DCA with "Orange Stinger" and "Sun Wheel" and "Corn Dog Castle" and "Sunglass Shack" and "Avalon Cove"!
    Already!
    Oh, my!

Jethro Tull isn't the only guy "Living In The Past."

"It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Try this book. It has a ton of information about DL's history. You can get it on Amazon for about 13 bucks

The Disneyland Encyclopedia: The Unofficial, Unauthorized, and Unprecedented History of Every Land, Attraction, Restaurant, Shop, and Event in the Original Magic Kingdom (Paperback)

Spanning the entire history of the park, from its founding more than 50 years ago to the present, this fascinating book profiles 500 attractions, restaurants, stores, events, and significant people from the history of Disneyland. Each of the main entries in the book examines in detail the history of a Disneyland landmark, including how many of the most popular attractions went through several incarnations before becoming what they are today—Tomorrowland’s Hall of Chemistry and Hall of Aluminum were transformed into the groundbreaking Adventure Thru Inner Space in 1967, and then became the popular ride Star Tours 20 years later. Read about unbuilt concepts, including Rock Candy Mountain and Chinatown, and delight in fascinating trivia about the park, such as ride statistics and attendance records. With a daily list of events, openings, and closings in the park's history, a yearly summary of attractions that came and went, simple and clear maps that correspond to the book’s 500 entries, and sidebars with additional information on each ride, this is a comprehensive and entertaining book overflowing with detail on the most-renovated, most-loved, and most-visited theme park in the world.

"If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Does this book have pictures in it or is it just reading? I would LOVE a book with lots of comparison shots of then and now and evolution along with trivia and bits of info. A friend loaned me a book about Disney (don't recall the full name but it was a white cover with a close in shot of cartoon Mickey's face, very distinctive) and it had loads of pictures but included all the movies from how Walt got started in the business right up to a few years ago. It also showed a picture or two from Disneyland, Disney World, 'EuroDisney', and I think Disneyland Tokyo (no Hong Kong, I think the book was too old). Not enough pictures of the parks, though, just a couple and blurbs about when they were built, etc.

I was going through a box of old pictures a while ago and found an old park guide from 1991 (our honeymoon). Even that was fun to look at - so bright and 90's, I'm glad I keep everything sometimes!!!

“I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mousecanuck View Post
    Does this book have pictures in it or is it just reading? I would LOVE a book with lots of comparison shots of then and now and evolution along with trivia and bits of info. A friend loaned me a book about Disney (don't recall the full name but it was a white cover with a close in shot of cartoon Mickey's face, very distinctive) and it had loads of pictures but included all the movies from how Walt got started in the business right up to a few years ago. It also showed a picture or two from Disneyland, Disney World, 'EuroDisney', and I think Disneyland Tokyo (no Hong Kong, I think the book was too old). Not enough pictures of the parks, though, just a couple and blurbs about when they were built, etc.

I was going through a box of old pictures a while ago and found an old park guide from 1991 (our honeymoon). Even that was fun to look at - so bright and 90's, I'm glad I keep everything sometimes!!!
    It has some photos but it primarily talks about the history of the park. It's in alphabetical order. If you want to learn about an old shop or ride you can look it up and it will have a snipit of history about it. I read it cover to cover, it was quite interesting.

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The book The Nickel Tour is about DL postcards, but whats cool is seeing the different areas of DL in the postcards and what is there now.

DwarfPlanet, do you own The Nickel Tour? I actually just ordered it, and as I hit the SEND button my heart was racing because I have never bought such an expensive book in my entire life. But I also cannot think of a book I have wanted more in my entire life, so perhaps that's why my heart was racing. Disneyland = racing heart. (My husband thinks I'm a complete fool)

BEHIND THE MAGIC - 50 YEARS OF DISNEYLAND by Karal Ann Marling is jammed with tons of concept drawings of rides and attractions, and lots of old poster artwork and old photos as well. No comparison shots, but it's a wonderful book.

Quote Originally Posted by PoomShanka View Post
    DwarfPlanet, do you own The Nickel Tour? I actually just ordered it, and as I hit the SEND button my heart was racing because I have never bought such an expensive book in my entire life. But I also cannot think of a book I have wanted more in my entire life, so perhaps that's why my heart was racing. Disneyland = racing heart. (My husband thinks I'm a complete fool)
    It's money WELL spent. The photos and history cannot be compared to any other Disney book out there.
    Steve

The second edition of my book on the history of the Disneyland Railroad, Welcome Aboard the Disneyland Railroad! - The Complete History in Words and Pictures, is now available! You can read more about the book and place your order here: Amazon

thanks all. i will look for the suggested web site and books!. I think i 'm turning myself into a Disney history fanatic

BEHIND THE MAGIC - 50 YEARS OF DISNEYLAND by Karal Ann Marling is jammed with tons of concept drawings of rides and attractions, and lots of old poster artwork and old photos as well. No comparison shots, but it's a wonderful book.
    I've got a very large collection of books on every Disney Park (ex Tokyo & Hong Kong) and The Nickel Tour is IMO the best book about Disneyland. A very close second would be "Disneyland, the Inside Story" by Randy Bright. The latter can probably be found at a reasonable price, possibly under $100...I paid $50 for it a couple of years ago and have seen it pop up occasionally for around that same amount on ebay.
    Suspended in the timelessness of innerspace are the thoughtwaves of my first impressions. They will be our only source of contact once you have passed beyond the limits of normal Magnification... Magnification... Magnification...

Quote Originally Posted by eljoe View Post
    thanks all. i will look for the suggested web site and books!. I think i 'm turning myself into a Disney history fanatic

You're in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    I visited YESTERDAYLAND, just because of your post.
    It's actually yesterland.com, and it really is a wonderful site!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

This site has some really cool old photos. You can even look by land and different years. There are a tone of photos all in one place. Check it out

http://davelandweb.com/disneyland/

Out of this world for Disney DwarfPlanet's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the late reply but I really like this book. I also believe it was money well spent (yes I own a copy). I collect postcards of DL and can only dream of some of the ones they have in there. Plus I really think it gives/shows abit of the history of DL through postcards and there are some wonderful tidbits of information through the book.