We went as a family in August 2009 and had an awesome time. I remember thinking as we left that it would be a very long time before we were there again. Luckily that has not proven to be true! My children's HS chorus decided to go this December and we decided that the parents just could't be left behind! The kids have been assured that this is a time for them to be with their friends so other than seeing them perform at the candlelight ceremony they can be with their friends and we would do our own thing.
- Due to my work schedule, we hope to fly out about 6:00 on 12/7. The school will probably fly out earlier, but I am only able to get 3 days off that week.
- We had hoped to stay at Wilderness Lodge, but decided to save money to stay at POFQ. I hesitated about that at first because that is where the chorus is staying, but I really don't want to stay at another moderate. We did splurge on a waterfront room so our room won't be near the kids. I'm on the lookout for deals for that time of the year. If we could get a 20-30% discount, we will go with a standard room at Wilderness Lodge.
- Even if they have Free Dining, we won't be doing the dining plan this time because it just doesn't fit into our shortened schedule. We may eat at a couple of table service, but plan to do mostly counter service. For table service, we are considering eating at Le Cellier for lunch or dinner and Kona Cafe for breakfast (I really want to try Tonga Toast). For counter service, Columbia Harbour House, Yak & Yeti (mango pie is great), and the Earl of Sandwich are on the list. I plan to have at least 2 Dole Whips as well. Most of these restaurants are ones that I would have liked to try, but the kids wouldn't have enjoyed.
- We have a minimal list of must do rides - 2-3 @ EP, 2-3 @ AK, 1-2 @ MK, 2-3 @ HS. Instead we want to focus on all of the holiday festivities and shows. We also want to visit all the deluxe resorts (except AKL I think) and check out all of the decorations. Downtown Disney is a must this trip too.
- We will head back home on 12/12, hopefully getting back before the kids. If not, Mom & Dad are on call.
Any suggestions/thoughts from people who have been this time of year would be greatly appreciated.