Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Chicago delays

Chicago delays

To change the subject here for a sec. Gusman you seem very knowledgeable and resourceful always traveling type person. I have a quick question for ya. Seeing how were flying into Chicago for a 2 hour layover when we fly out of our home town airport if Chicago has some sort of weather related issues that day or plane breakdown will they tell us when we check in with our baggage or will we have to wait to find out in Chicago at our next gate?

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    To change the subject here for a sec. Gusman you seem very knowledgeable and resourceful always traveling type person. I have a quick question for ya. Seeing how were flying into Chicago for a 2 hour layover when we fly out of our home town airport if Chicago has some sort of weather related issues that day or plane breakdown will they tell us when we check in with our baggage or will we have to wait to find out in Chicago at our next gate?
    If your flight from your home town to Chicago is delayed, you'll know when you check in. If the flight leaving Chicago is delayed, you won't know until you're there.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't worry too much about weather delays in Chicago this time of year, either.

Cathy

I seem to worry about things I cant control. I just really need this trip to take off (no pun intended, lol) without any hitches. It has all been on my back and I just want to know ahead of what we might encounter. From the plane ride to check in at the Pop to crowd control. Im just starting to feel a little stress the closer we get to April 26th. Sorry for being a pain with my questions.

Since you're coming from Michigan, there might be information on delays before you leave your home airport if they are significant. However most of the time these days you won't know that far ahead. Airlines wait until the last possible moment to announce delays.

Well, that's very nice of them, NOT....We are printing off our boarding passes the night before and dont have to leave home on travel day until 6:00am. So I will jump on the computer and check out for any delays along with watching the weather for our area and Chicago's. Oh how my stress will hopefully demish once on the plane pulling away.

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Considering that you have a two-hour layover, that will give you a real good cushion in case there are delays. Most spring/summer delays in Chicago are caused by either strong winds or possibly bad storms. Of course, if there are weather systems in other parts of the country, they can impact other incoming flights. In any case, here are some tips as to help you with your travels:

- Before you leave go onto AA's website and set up alerts so that you get text messages about your flight status. I usually have it set to send me alerts 2 hrs before departure and if gates change, etc. If there is a delay, you will be notified, sometimes faster than what you will see at the gates or even on the screens. (You can do this for all of your flights before you leave home - even for return flights.)

- If your flight is delayed, don't panic. Just listen to the announcements and hear what is going on. Unless you have a specific question that was not covered in the announcement, chances are you will not need to go up to the gate counter for anything.

- If your flight is delayed from your home airport because of weather in Chicago, chances are that your plane for your connecting flight will also be delayed. Chances are, though, that you will not find out about that till you get into Chicago.

- Before you land, the flight attendants will announce connecting flight information. They will do this alphabetically by city. What you will want to do is to look at the back of the American Way magazine at the map of OHare to see where you will be landing vs. where your next flight will be taking off from. For reference, I can get from the furthest point in the American Eagle concourse to the furthest gate at the other concourses in about 6 minutes at a brisk walk. Do not accidentally go out through security. You will not need to exit the terminal.

- As we have talked about before, since you will be arriving at ORD in a regional jet, check your luggage and take only one thing onboard with you - something smaller than a carry-on suitcase. (I have a good-sized backpack for my laptop and it barely fits in the overhead bin... so go smaller than that.) This will make sure that you will not be waiting for anything when you arrive just in case there were delays on your first leg and you need to account for it.

- Go directly to the gate for your next flight - just so that you know where it is. Keep an eye out for the flight information screens and check them often.

- If you have time, enjoy a bite to eat or a drink at one of the several eateries in the terminal. There is also a couple different food courts to choose from.

- Get to your gate about 20 mins before boarding. (Thats about 50 minutes before the scheduled flight time.) If there are going to be any delays, etc, you will most likely find out around that time.

- The biggest thing is just remain calm if something changes or gets delayed. It happens to all airlines and they will accommodate you. Being at a major hub like Chicago, the ability to recover from delays are somewhat better, in my opinion.

If need be, reverse the above for your return trip.

Hope that helps...

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Oh my gosh yes it does help, Thank you very much. Actually Gusman, you sent me a link on where American Eagle comes in and where we might fly to Orlando out of. I copied a map off the computer so I can get a general idea in which I will be reviewing once we leave the gate. We will book on down to our American connecting flight and then go grab some breakfast or a cinna bun if we can find one close by. Gotta get 1 of them. No trip is complete without a cinna bun. lol Ok I will do the text alert tonight and check once at airport or ask the check in guy to check for me and give him our flight number so hopefully he can give us a update so as to what to expect. And I will be listening to the flight attendant carefully before landing to any possible changes. Thanks again