Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dancing with the Stars tonite!!

Smile Dancing with the Stars tonite!!

Did anyone else watch the DWTS' premiere tonite? If so, what did you think of the entree into the new season? New graphics as always, with an interesting split screen thing, showing the judges, their scores, as well as the teams at the same time.

What did y'all think of the "Celebriquarium"?? I liked it better when the couples were able to go "backstage" and relax on couches, rather than standing or sitting on camera the whole time. I especially didn't think that shot of the "backside of DWST" was a very good one! How would you like it, if you were photographed from behind like that??

How about it turning out to be Brooke Burke as Samantha Harris' replacement? I thought it was an interesting choice, but she doesn't have the improv skills Samantha had. Also, it was kinda painfully obvious, when she was reading an out of shot teleprompter.

How about the lines written for the celebs to say during their pre-performance videos or post-performance "interviews"? I thought most of them were really corny and most of the celebs couldn't carry them off as anything but obviously scripted! Poor Buzz Aldrin, he could hardly get out the line about why he chose to go on the show, after having been ONE of the men who walked on the moon!

So, down to the dances. Here's my take on what happened tonite:

1. Chad & Cheryl - Cha3 (that's Cha cubed, as in Cha-Cha-Cha!) - Score 18 - I was surprised to see the footballer do better than I expected for the first night! Obviously, he has a way to go, but he did have some rhythm!!

2. Shannon & Mark - V. Waltz - Score 18 - She was kinda clumsy, but better than I expected for the first night out too. Never watched 90210, but I do remember watching her on The Little House on the Prairie!

3. Erin & Maks - Cha3 - Score 21 - Pretty good, but I never saw her before.

4. Jake & Chelsie - "VIENNA-ESE" Waltz - Score 20 - Can you say over-exposed?! I'm so sick of seeing Jake on ABC, ever since The Bachelor ended and he chose Vienna over Tenley!! That said, his posture was weird and he was very rough with her. I've been a Chelsie fan ever since she was on SYTYCD!

5. Niecy & Louis - Cha3 - Score 18 - Love her, she's so funny!! Thought she did a pretty good job and I look forward to seeing what she does next!

6. Evan & Anna - V. Waltz - Score 23 - Very nice and very elegant!!

7. Buzz & Ashly - Cha3 - Score 14 - LOVE that Ashly's back! She looks great! Buzz, on the other hand, looked fragile and really stiff, unfortunately. I think she should've chosen the waltz for him instead.

8. Nicole & Derek - V. Waltz - Score 25 - Definitely the best of the night!! She was very graceful and their waltz was beautiful! Not hoochie at all!!

9. Aidan & Edyta - Cha3 - Score 15 - What was that dress??!! Their dance was really odd and he was kinda stiff throughout. I don't watch soaps.

10. Kate & Tony - V. Waltz - Score 16 - Sheesh! Was she ever awkward to watch! So glad she got a weave or whatever, instead of that horrid haircut she had before! Never watched her show, but she was definitely clumsy and had no musicality, charisma, chemistry or connection to Tony at all! I feel badly for him!

11. Pamela & Damian - Cha3 - Score 21 - Good grief! If she didn't have her "bed head" hairdo and her fake chest, she would've gotten a 15 for her dancing I think!! Her chest was definitely in the way, way too much! When they showed the early shot of her on Baywatch, I thought, wow, she was actually a really pretty girl, BEFORE all the plastic surgery!!
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Does anyone know why they had an uneven number of couples this time? I also wonder why they're waiting until next week for eliminations, instead of doing the show tomorrow night.

Based on tonite's performances, who do you think will be the first to go? My guess is Kate!! I don't think she has a large enough fan base to carry her.

I imagine Buzz will stay longer than he should, due to his veteran/astronaut hero status.

I think Nicole is the best so far, so it'll be interesting to see how things progress and if she stays at the top, all the way to the end.

Last edited by KarenW2; 03-23-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Karen W2

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

I did NOT like Brooke. Give us back Samantha!!!

I didn't watch the Bachelor, so seeing Jake for the first time, I enjoyed the dance. I liked Nicole's dance, but didn't think it warranted 9s. Chad was better than expected.

I wish someone would tone Bruno down. I've had enough of him already this season. It usually takes 1/2 the season before he gets to me, but last night did it early.

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by KarenW2 View Post

Does anyone know why they had an uneven number of couples this time? I also wonder why they're waiting until next week for eliminations, instead of doing the show tomorrow night.
    They're waiting a week to give all the couples two chances to dance before eliminations start. It gives the audience a better chance to get to know the celebs. It's very hard on the celebs to have put in all these weeks of practice and then get eliminated after doing only ONE dance.
    Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time; and for a brief moment we have been among its many passengers.

As always, great recap Karen!
    I kinda watched it last night; I FF some parts. I thought the judges were a little rough on them for it being their first week. Especially Aiden and Edyta. Geez!
    I cant predict on this show at all because, it always seems to surprise me who lasts based on fan voting over actual dance technique/ talent.
    I love Chelsie too, so I hope Jake improves. I was glad to see Ashly again, but I will miss not seeing Juliann or Dimitri. I wonder what determines what pros get to compete each season and why do some ALWAYS get to be on the show every season?

I agree with Hannah, there is no way that Aiden & Edyta deserved the same mark as Buzz--he may be a hero and icon, but his dancing was awful. Glad to see Ashly again, but after being saddled with Master P last time, I wish they gave her a better dancer. I also think that Chad O & Cheryl were penalized by going first--I'm not a fan of his, but thought their dance was better than others that got the same score or better. Happy that it is back, and I don't miss Samantha at all. My sister and I hate her and her stupid questions, but we hoped Drew would take over. Enjoyed him when he filled in before, and was not thrilled with Brook.

Does anyone else see some type of conspiracy about how dancers get assigned to partners? It seems like certain professionals get the partners that are going to make it farther than others, the natural dancers and athletes. I don't know if it's just luck but it's a little suspect to me.

I like the PCD singer (can't spell her name), she's great, but I don't like Derek. I like Nicey Nash too. I feel bad for Tony Dovolani, I really like him. I am surprised to find that I like Chad Ochocinco, he's a riot. I liked him in the Bengals HBO special and he's still fun to watch. I'm not sure about his dancing though.

It seems like Brooke Burke is just too awkward at the microphone. There were way too many awkward pauses, questions, transitions, etc. I want Samantha back or anyone who's a better interviewer.

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Smile Tonite's battle of the dancers!!

So, what did y'all think of tonite's show? Some were better, some were actually worse, if that was possible! Here's my recap for the night:

1. Shannen & Mark - Jive - Score 20 - Better than last week I thought

2. Aiden & Edyta - Fox Trot - Score 19 - Smooth and a nice job I thought

3. Evan & Anna - Jive - Score 24 - They did a great job! Very fun!

4. Niecy & Louis - Fox Trot - Score 21- Really nice job, she was gorgeous!

5. Jake & Chelsie - Jive - Score 20 - Very awkward, worse than last week

6. Buzz & Cheryl - Fox Trot - Score 12 - Stiff walking, still not good

7. Nicole & Derek - Jive - Score 28 - Best of night! First 10's of the Season!!

8. Erin & Maks - Fox Trot - Score 23 - Really pretty, enjoyable to watch

9. Pamela & Damian - Fox Trot - Score 22 - OK, but don't care for her

10. Chad & Cheryl - Fox Trot - Score 16 - Awkward, worse than last week

11. Kate & Tony - Jive - Score 15 - Yikes!! Very awkward and you could see her counting, as she was moving (can't call it dancing!)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Don't know about the "conspiracy theory" (other than it's one of my hubby's favorite movies!), but I do know that Erin mentioned when she and Maks were on The Bonnie Hunt Show last week, that there were only 2 dancers she could be paired with, because she's so tall! It was either going to be Maks or Tony, she said she asked for Maks, because she knew his reputation for working his partners very hard and she really wanted to learn!

One thing I noticed tonite was, there seemed to be certain couples that the producers (or whoever picks their music) chose songs themed to the couple. The ones I noticed were: Buzz - Fly Me to the Moon, Pamela - I Want to be Loved by You (the Marilyn connection!) and Kate - I'm Still Standin'.

It was funny Bruno mentioned his doing the video with Elton in the South of France for "I'm Still Standin'". Have y'all seen it by now? It's on youtube somewhere and it's VERY dated!! Bruno is very easy to spot!!

I noticed they picked a really good song for Niecy's dance, "I Love You I Do" from Dreamgirls. My hubby and I went to LA for the weekend, since we had tickets to see "Alice" in 3D at the El Cap in Hollywood - Saturday afternoon, ComedySportz - Saturday night, Dreamgirls at the Ahmanson - Sunday evening and The Bonnie Hunt Show - earlier tonite. It was nice to spend 2 nights at the Omni and not have to leave after the first night, like we usually do when we have our season tickets. It made for a really great getaway!!

If you haven't seen Dreamgirls yet, see it before it closes!! The singing, acting and dancing were all amazing! Costumes were incredible and the large black screens they used as set pieces for all sorts of things really worked out well.

Syesha Mercado, from American Idol (Taylor Hicks and Kathryn McFee's season) played Deena (the Diana Ross-type Dreamgirl) and she was great!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Almost forgot! Who do y'all think will be sent home first? I think it'll be between Buzz and Kate, unless they decide to keep Buzz in there, just because of his celebrity. I never watched Kate's show, but I kinda felt sorry for her tonite, when she told Tony that so many people had left her!!

Karen W2

Blog Entries

Kate annoyed me and so did Brooke Burke. And why were ALL the stars so WHINY this week!

Favorite dance? Probably Niecy.

Blog Entries

I didn't know half the stars. Last week I didn't bother to watch Tuesday because I just didn't care. Didn't watch last night either. But maybe I can bring myself to zip through the Tivo'd version.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

MP Hotel & Restaurant Review Administrator
    MousePad Subscriber
    MousePlanet Staff

I'm not sure if it's only my family, but after watching the rehearsal footage for Aidan, we spent the rest night imitating him:

Q: Would you like a piece of pie? A: You hurt my feelings.
    Q: Paper or plastic? A: You hurt my feelings.

He was such a jerk with Edyta, really laying into her when all she was doing was listening and trying not to cry. I hope he's voted out soon....

As for the others, I thought Niecy was way underscored. Of course, I may be biased as I'm a big fan of hers.

Carnival Restaurant -- Please enjoy a foppish dinner on the fantastic inside of a shop
    Administrator, MousePlanet Travel & Hotel Reviews System
    Editor, Foundations of Magic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheila View Post
    I'm not sure if it's only my family, but after watching the rehearsal footage for Aidan, we spent the rest night imitating him:

Q: Would you like a piece of pie? A: You hurt my feelings.
    Q: Paper or plastic? A: You hurt my feelings.

He was such a jerk with Edyta, really laying into her when all she was doing was listening and trying not to cry. I hope he's voted out soon....

As for the others, I thought Niecy was way underscored. Of course, I may be biased as I'm a big fan of hers.
    I agree. Between him and Kate, I wouldn't have blamed Tony or Edyta if they walked off. Now we know why Jon walked!! Dang, if that is a glimpse of what he dealt with, I don't blame him in the least!!

I was glad Len told Erin that the stars needed to shut up and listen to their pros.

Blog Entries

Disappointed with the results. Besides preferring to see Kate leave, would have loved to have seen Corky. I was curious why we didn't see Mark during the group dance. Cannot believe Mark danced the Jive Monday night with the tear. He is a heck of a performer.

He didn't actually get the tear until they were practicing for the group dance. That's why he wasn't in the group dance. Good thing for him to be out since he needs the 6 weeks to heal, but I really wanted to see Kate go.

Eek! Was a bit shocked by last night's results too!

It was interesting, at the beginning of the show, how they said there were going to be "surprises" when it came to the eliminations! Obviously, they already knew who was going, but I definitely didn't guess who'd actually be in the Bottom 2!

I feel badly for Ashly, since she's paired with Buzz and he's such a non-dancer! She seems to get stuck with bad dancers, like "Master P". Buzz will last longer than he should, only because of his status and fan base. I liked how Adam Corolla pointed out just how many moon-related shirts Buzz was wearing, during the practice video! Then, with all the stuff they had on stage, including the moon crater projections on the floor, I kept thinking, OK, we know he went to the moon already, how many times do you have to keep reminding us about it??

I also felt really badly for Mark!! I'm glad he wasn't dancing on his bad leg that night, he's such an entertaining guy! Hopefully, he'll be able to heal back up and continue to do what he loves! It would've been interesting to see his dad as Shannen's partner, tho it might have gotten a bit weird, if they had to do the samba or one of those other sexy dancers, because of their age difference.

I was a little surprised at the Macy's stars dance. I thought all the dancers for that would be the ones from Haiti, but there were some of the pros with the guys from Haiti in the group. It was so sad, especially that the one guy lost his son!

I agree with Niecy being way under-scored too!! I thought she did a really nice job, but definitely didn't deserve such low numbers. But at least her score was in the 20's!

I was surprised to see Pamela in the Bottom 2, but if the voters are mostly women, it would stand to reason!! I thought she actually looked better this week, since she had a nice dress that she wasn't falling out of and her hair didn't look as tho she just fell out of bed and was ready to go back in again! I thought her comment about everyone already seeing "all of Pamela" was so true!! She's definitely one of those whose been "over-exposed" to the world!! There are no secrets or surprises left, unless she covers up and doesn't look so trampy!

I was very surprised to learn that Brooke isn't reading the teleprompter, when she's backstage with the couples after they dance! I really think she was, at least the first night, since she wasn't looking at the couples, she was very obviously looking to our left, reading something, because it came off like she was reading. Maybe she'll get better over time, who knows?!

Karen W2

Len's Commandment Number 9:

"Lets Keep it Sparkly people!"

~Loved it

So, do you think they all told a story tonite??

Tonite's challenge was for the couples to "tell a story" with their dances, like they don't usually? Good or bad, there's always something happening, it's dramatic, so you're going to see something there.

What did you think of the pro couples' group dance? I thought it was pretty good and it was nice to see Dmitry and Lacey dancing, but I thought when Lacey and D's brother had her all over the judges' desk, it definitely was more than tacky!! I know the one blond was the one who was new last season, but who was the other one? Tom ran thru the names so fast, it was hard to decipher!

Here's my list of tonite's performances and comments:

1. Evan & Anna - Quick Step - Score 26 - It was sort of frantic, but better than last week and that cartwheel was definitely a surprise! The highest score of the night.

2. Buzz & Ashly - Waltz - Score 13- A little better, but he's still walking, not dancing and Ashly's definitely doing all of the work!! Lowest score as usual.

3. Jake & Chelsie - Q Step - Score 21 - Mostly silly, I didn't care for it.

4. Niecy & Louis - Waltz - Score 21 - Niecey's dancing was really nice, but boy, was there a lot of anger on the dance floor coming from Louis! Obviously, he wants to marry his boyfriend. It shouldn't be in the dance, it was way too political and didn't belong on an "entertainment" show!

5. Chad & Cheryl - Paso Doble - Score 20 - Better, but I'm not loving them as a couple. Loved Tony & Jonathan's "Dos Amigos" salute in the back tho!

6. Pamela & Damian - Paso Doble - Score 21 - A bit too intense from her. Looks like coach Charo's had some more work done!

7. Aiden & Edyta - Waltz - Score 20 - He was skipping, then very awkward at times, so it was a mixed bag. It was a little better than last week tho.

8. Erin & Maks - Waltz - Score 23 - Good, but the blindfold thing was silly. I think she could see thru it anyway.

9. Kate & Tony - Paso Doble - Score 15 - Sheesh! Someone please put this woman out of her misery and let her go home to her kids!! It wasn't dancing, it was more like angry walking!

10. Nicole & Derek - Q Step - Score 23 - Best performance of the night, even tho it broke several rules. If they hadn't, they might've gotten a 30!!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, who goes home tomorrow night? I really hope it's Kate, since I'm sure all of Buzz's fans will keep him in the running.

Karen W2

Blog Entries
    I know the one blond was the one who was new last season, but who was the other one? Tom ran thru the names so fast, it was hard to decipher!
    Anna was from last season, and the one with Dmetri was Janna. No clue who she is, just that was the name Tom said.

8. Erin & Maks - Waltz - Score 23 - Good, but the blindfold thing was silly. I think she could see thru it anyway.
    I don't think she could. I think they did very well

9. Kate & Tony - Paso Doble - Score 15 - Sheesh! Someone please put this woman out of her misery and let her go home to her kids!! It wasn't dancing, it was more like angry walking!
    She looked worse than Buzz. She was scored way too high.

10. Nicole & Derek - Q Step - Score 23 - Best performance of the night, even tho it broke several rules. If they hadn't, they might've gotten a 30!!
    If they had been dancing "Broadway", I agree. But Bruno scored them too high, considering they are supposed to knock 1 point per rule broken, so he either skipped the lift or the breaks in hold. It was Derek's fault.

One thing about Buzz... Why does ABC keep bring on the older ones, if the judges are just going to be so rude with them?? Its not like they seriously think he could win it against a trained dancer like Nicole? This season is very "set up".

Other topic, Mark will be on tonight!!

Blog Entries

Jake creeps me out.

Not much of an insight but there you have it.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    One thing about Buzz... Why does ABC keep bring on the older ones, if the judges are just going to be so rude with them?? Its not like they seriously think he could win it against a trained dancer like Nicole? This season is very "set up".
    Well, he's popular (and I'm sure he helps the ratings). Even though he's nowhere near being the best dancer, he's getting enough votes to avoid getting eliminated so far. Even if Kate was as good of a dancer as Nicole, I'd still vote for Buzz over Kate.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pixar View Post
    Well, he's popular (and I'm sure he helps the ratings). Even though he's nowhere near being the best dancer, he's getting enough votes to avoid getting eliminated so far. Even if Kate was as good of a dancer as Nicole, I'd still vote for Buzz over Kate.
    Me too. But what irritates me is ABC intentionally brings on older people who do have fans, and can't dance that well, then the judges are very rude. I don't have a problem with the scoring, I have a problem with how they word their responses. There is no way he will outdance Nicole, why does ABC set these people up? This season seems to be worse than normal. And it irritates me.

ETA - And MDM and I have decided this season needs to be renames "Dancing with the Crybabies"..

ETA - And MDM and I have decided this season needs to be renames "Dancing with the Crybabies"..
    ROFL....couldn't agree more!

Me too. But what irritates me is ABC intentionally brings on older people who do have fans, and can't dance that well, then the judges are very rude.
    I think the rudeness contributes to the show's interest. Audiences need something/more to talk about, like we are now. Imagine American Idol without Simon Cowell.
    2017: Coco
    Future: The Incredibles 2, Toy Story 4

Not an official spokesperson for the company

Blog Entries
    I think the rudeness contributes to the show's interest. Audiences need something/more to talk about, like we are now. Imagine American Idol without Simon Cowell.
    I guess it is a "respect your elders" issue for me. I know Len is about the same age, but regardless, it really is bothering me. It seems like it is getting worse each season.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think the talking of how BAD some people are is just fine without having to bring in how mean the judges are.

(I saw a short clip of Kate doing a quick step. Oh my)
    Cathy

Blog Entries
    Can we be more specific? I think it needs to be renamed "Dancing with the Crybabies and Giant Fake Boobs Falling out of Costumes."

I'm not opposed to cosmetic surgery but it is awfully hard to dance when your proportions are out of whack. It's getting to where I can't watch half of what is happening because it looks like a silicon implant is about to bust through someone's chest, like in the movie Alien.

This is an issue every season and I know they do intentionally pad some of the dancers sometimes to get a certain look. It just seems to be worse than usual this time.