Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I will miss not going to Disneyland [discount for the disabled]

I'm going to Disneyland!

I will miss not going to Disneyland [discount for the disabled]

With the Pass $ going up and 2 disablities in the family. I spend all my time pushing my grandma in her wheel chair around the park, she can't do anything and spends 1/2 her time sleeping in her chair. I have my own vestibular disability and only go on maybe 1 or 2 ride every time i go.

Why Doesn't Disney have discount passes for people with disabitlities? my friend told me other theme parks her disabled daughter gets in free.

We can't afford to renew our passes. it's not even worth renewing for my grandmother since she doesn't do anything when she's there, she has severe dementia. children under 3 get in free and they do more than my grandmother does.

I get a disability discount bus pass, why doesn't Disney have a disability discount annual pass?

2. # ADS

Tower of Terror is the best

sorry to hear about your unfortunate circumstances maybe in due time they will disability discount annual pass or certain days out of the year that you can go to the park for free or for a discount

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

Quote Originally Posted by ginap73 View Post
    With the Pass $ going up and 2 disablities in the family. I spend all my time pushing my grandma in her wheel chair around the park, she can't do anything and spends 1/2 her time sleeping in her chair. I have my own vestibular disability and only go on maybe 1 or 2 ride every time i go.

Why Doesn't Disney have discount passes for people with disabitlities? my friend told me other theme parks her disabled daughter gets in free.

We can't afford to renew our passes. it's not even worth renewing for my grandmother since she doesn't do anything when she's there, she has severe dementia. children under 3 get in free and they do more than my grandmother does.

I get a disability discount bus pass, why doesn't Disney have a disability discount annual pass?
    If I was you I would call Disney, and just ask what can be done. I know I might have alot of people on here flame me for saying that. You never know though if you dont ask. You never know they could have a special program that is just not advertised because they dont want people scamming to get cheaper prices to get in. So just call their customer service people, and ask what they can do.

Number of visits to Disneyland 36

Princess in hiding underthesea1987's Avatar

because
    A- there is a lot of legal issues regarding how they prove who would qualify.
    B-People would abuse this, most likely
    C- I feel that simillar debates have happened here regarding discounts to certain areas of so cal, and if not so-cal then why not nor-cal. Or Arizona. etc.
    D- Disney doesnt have to do discounts because there are a lot of people who are willing to pay whatever price.
    This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
    Lilo and Stitch

Quote Originally Posted by underthesea1987 View Post
    because
    A- there is a lot of legal issues regarding how they prove who would qualify
    Yet they pass out those "go to the front of the line' passes like candy. (sorry,can't think of what they're called right at the moment)

Princess in hiding underthesea1987's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by darph nader View Post
    Yet they pass out those "go to the front of the line' passes like candy. (sorry,can't think of what they're called right at the moment)
    Those lines do not move any faster than the regular ones. Ive had to use them.
    This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
    Lilo and Stitch

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar
    Actually you're sadly mistaken, they do not hand out Front of the line passes 'like candy'...the ONLY ones that I've seen get actual FTL passes are children who are Make a Wish guests and you know what, if I see a child with that Stamp, please, go in front of me and mine...I don't want to walk your walk...I'm blessed to have reason to believe I'll have MY child next year to bring her back to the park.

The pass you're thinking of is the Guest Assistance Card or G.A.C. and even that is not a 'free ride' to the front of the line. 1) it's NOT as easy to get as everyone seems to think it is, if you don't believe me, just go to guest services at either park and say to the CM I want a GAC...and go from there. If you get one good for you, come wait in longer lines with the rest of us. I do not get it why people think that because they see us load that we didn't WAIT at all...just because we weren't standing next to you in the queue.

Oh and I want to address the 'other parks let them in free', actually I know of two parks in the So Cal area that do have a disabled guest policy that allows the paying disabled guest to have a companion that the parks comp their entry fee, but the Disabled guest pays to get in and their companion is the one that gets in at no cost...so saying the disabled guest gets in free is not accurate. To be able to take advantage of this policy the guest has to provide a letter ON their doctors letter head that they are disabled and need a companions assistance. BTDT have the letter.
    Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries
    <deep breath> Continuing the myth doesn't help any. First, the HA lines rarely are faster than the standby lines, and again, often they are longer. Example, POTC standby was 5 mins last trip. We waited close to 20 in the HA line. IASWH line was under 10 mins, we waited 25 mins. Space Mountain was 35 mins standby, we did 45 mins in the HA queue. We can't use FP. If I get a FP for Space, they tell me to go to the HA queue, then I have to wait for that queue, where if you had a FP, you would be on the ride 40 mins sooner.

Too bad people keep telling this myth, all it does is cause more people to rent wheelchairs thinking it will be faster.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I pay $30 a month for my pass and Mom is about $10. That is an estimate and I am too tired to look up the numbers.

Mom spends all her time in the wheelchair and I push her everywhere. She has lots of fun in the shows, watching people, and riding rides. She does Small World, Captain Eo, Jungle Cruise, Innoventions, Pooh, and Toy Story Mania while in her chair. She has had her naps in the parks and so have I.

I have gotten into a park free one time and that was at San Diego Wild Animal Park because I was with Mom as her assistant.

Disney would have people in wheelchairs faking disabilities. They would have people pretending to be blind or unable to walk just for the free admission. It is impossible to prove some disiabilities and some disabled people can transfer while others cannot. I pay full price for Mom and I via the monthly payments. We have a great time together and have a full day. I have limitations but carefully ride so many rides when alone.

Sorry that you cannot enjoy the parks. For me the parks are not about the rides but about the people, workers, music, sites, entertainment, food, smells, sounds, and so much more. From the sparrow to a little girl dancing to the beat of the music I am entertained.

And to add, I've seen the HA people in line for Pirates waiting outside in the sun (when it's a long HA wait). Nope, on top of dealing with a disability, they have longer waits -- for the rides they're able to go on.

Every disabled person I've gotten to know has said they'd give up the "perks" if it meant they'd also give up the disability. In a hot minute.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

some imagination, huh? DisneyFunFamily4's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MammaSilva View Post
    the ONLY ones that I've seen get actual FTL passes are children who are Make a Wish guests and you know what, if I see a child with that Stamp, please, go in front of me and mine...I don't want to walk your walk...I'm blessed to have reason to believe I'll have MY child next year to bring her back to the park.
    Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    Every disabled person I've gotten to know has said they'd give up the "perks" if it meant they'd also give up the disability. In a hot minute.
    I couldn't have said this better myself ladies....

Why? Transportation is a basic neccesity. It is often subsidized by the local or state government. How is this similar to a private amusement park?

Quote Originally Posted by The old man View Post
    Why? Transportation is a basic neccesity. It is often subsidized by the local or state government. How is this similar to a private amusement park?
    I agree that these two things are totally different. BUT, there are things in the park that disabled people can't do, therefore I think they don't get as much out of their spent money. And the waiting in long lines takes up more time, leaving them with less time to do the fun stuff.

But using that same logic, they should charge less if the lines are long or when rides are down for refurb or if the weather is bad. Just not a doable way to run a business. If it isn't good value for you, it doesn't make sense to go.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by disneylandgirl View Post
    I agree that these two things are totally different. BUT, there are things in the park that disabled people can't do, therefore I think they don't get as much out of their spent money. And the waiting in long lines takes up more time, leaving them with less time to do the fun stuff.
    My theory? If it isn't worth your time/money, don't do it.

I go to the park a lot. I have an annual pass. MDM can tell you, I don't ride most of the rides. I enjoy just being there and watching "things". The OP says she only rides 1-2 rides each trip. It is her decision on if this is worth it to her. Should pregnant women get a discount since they "can't" ride the mountains? Should a blind person get half price since they can't "see" the park?

Disney has a price, each individual person has to decide if it is worth it to them to pay that price.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

I think the big thing to keep in mind is that Disneyland is not a carnival or 'amusement' park in that sense, it is what Walt intended a THEME park that has attractions that offer different things to different tastes/abilities....I mean really...is there a long line to board any of the Main street vehicles? Not normally yet that horse drawn trolley is one of my daughters favorite things ...name one other theme park in the area that offers her that option? Many of them offer some type of a carousel which is another of her favs but not one that she has ridden with Mary Poppins and Bert on one occassion...

Mal nailed it, everyone has a different price point of what they will pay for what opportunities. For us and I'll make sure that I let all who may not be aware know, both my daughter who is 100 percent disabled, legally blind, legally deaf, has mobility issues on occassion and has a laundry list of other things...and myself who due to several health issues am now considered disabled ...for US, it's worth the cost of the admission and I'm not looking to Disney for a discount 'because we can't do EVERYTHING' we can do what we enjoy most and when something changes I might rethink it but until then being disabled has nothing to do with our enjoyment of Disneyland.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

I received a call from a family friend recently that her mother had died. In the course of the conversation, she reported they had visited Disneyland last summer. She and her cousin (both have bad knees and trouble walking) took turns pushing her blind mother in her wheelchair. I would bet they rode nothing. And they had a blast! Worth the money for them? You betcha!

Disney does still offer discounted one-day tickets for guests with disabilities and their families during a seasonal promotion. The tickets are offered through qualified centers that provide services to the disabled. I don't know if the centers are geographically restricted or if any center can sign up. Like the "front-of-the line" Make a Wish passes, I am very grateful that I do not qualify for this promotion.

I see no reason why Disneyland would offer a discounted annual pass, however. Each person must decide for themselves if they go often enough to make it worthwhile. If they do, why should Disney sell the ticket at a discount?

To the OP - I hear that you are sad that your circumstances right now detract from the enjoyment you used to get from Disneyland, and that financial limitations mean you can't do everything you would like to do. Maybe things will be different in the future, and maybe taking some time away from Disney will help you enjoy it even more if you return in the future.

In the meantime, I hope you can find other ways to enjoy yourself. And please take care of yourself as much as you can! Being a caretaker is a very difficult job and you deserve some respite.

Blog Entries

Let's not over look the fact that Disney's Family does a lot for "Make a Wish" "CHOC's" and many others.... they are always thinking about the true disable and making the rides for all to go on and the shops you can row into..that alone is worth every penny at the front gate...or AP as in my case.

thank you MammaSilva I agree with you fully and couldn't have said it better myself.....

My nephew had a Make a Wish trip last year. He has cancer. He's 5. Yes, he didn't wait in any lines. Yes, he had a fabulous time. Would they rather have not paid the 'entry fee' for that perk? You betcha.

Personally, I know a day at Disneyland (rides or no) is a pretty darn good day!

Keep Moving Forward!

Actually you're sadly mistaken, they do not hand out Front of the line passes 'like candy'...the ONLY ones that I've seen get actual FTL passes are children who are Make a Wish guests and you know what, if I see a child with that Stamp, please, go in front of me and mine...I don't want to walk your walk...I'm blessed to have reason to believe I'll have MY child next year to bring her back to the park.
    Just one small clarification. Kids do not have to be terminally ill in order to be Make a Wish kids. I think the terminology is something along the lines of "Seriously ill". My son was a Make a Wish kid and he has any number of development and health difficulties, but we expect him to be around a long time. When we started the process, the info they had gotten was that my son was "in a wheelchair" and that would not have been covered. When they got the full picture of the extent of my son's disabilities, then he qualified.

And this is probably not shocking, but Make a Wish is a truly wonderful organization. It was a once in a lifetime experience with absolutely fabulous people.

And as for Disney and the disabled, all I can say is that there is a BIG reason that we are such Disney nerds and fans and that is the way they take care of my son. Cast members really go out of their way for him and we really appreciate it.

I'm glad to know that kids don't have to be terminal to qualify but my statement still stands...if I see a family with that stamp, please, go right to the front of any line...I've been there done that with my daughter and she still has quite the list of issues but we have reason to believe we can and will just continue to deal with them for a very long time God willing. I know how difficult having a seriously ill child is both for the child and his family so that extra ride cycle I may have to wait is nothing in comparison. I agree that Make a Wish and the other foundations that do this good work are wonderful.

My niece was quite stable when she qualified for Make a Wish. (WDW) It was before her third surgery to fix her heart. She has since had a transplant.

I am with Mammasilva, please go right ahead can I do anything to get out of the way?

As far as a discount because you are disabled, I think Mal said it best, everything is dependant on what you feel is reasonable to you.
    OP- have you looked into perhaps a day program for your grandmother that would allow you a day to go by yourself or with a friend, just as a respite?

Please call DLR 714-781-0000 and ask the switchboard to direct you to someone who can help you.

If they they can't direct you to someone who can help, then email me at jhreuter@earthlink.net and I will find someone who can help you.

Last edited by Andrew; 04-08-2010 at 10:01 AM. Reason: phone number corrected