Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toontown [when will it close?]

Toontown [when will it close?]

Does anyone know when Toontown is supposed to close for good?

2. # ADS

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

According to Mark's WDW Update from this week,

While Mickey's Toontown Fair has not yet closed, it is expected soon. However, it was said that there will be "ample notice" given before the land closes.
    The full article can be found here: Park Update, March 8, 2010

Nothing definitive--I'm sorry!
    Working hard for that next WDW trip!

I actually made a special trip out there in the middle of a week, just to walk thru Toontown. I passed up everything else and simply had a couple of hours getting some last long looks at Toontown. It was alot of fun and I highly recommend it if you can go.

GnP

I've never spent that much time there, having no kids. But I do plan to visit next week, just to get some pics and build a few mild memories.

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

I am really bummed about Toontown closing. The first time we took DS, he just loved it, and we still have to go every trip, even though he is 8 now.

Better keep your eye on me...I'll go coastal on ya....

When ToonTown first opened, they use to sell the biggest cupcakes. Boy I miss them......

I guess that means we will miss it this summer. I have never been to the one in WDW, but I have been to the one at Disneyland. Oh well, maybe the next time I go back it will be up and running again.

Shelley
    DLR '80, '05, '06, '07(x2), '09, '14, '15, '16; WDW '97, '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16; DCL '13, '16

Toontown had the best fresh fruit cart in the park we found. I hope they move that somewhere else.

There's also a place to smoke there (yes I know that's unsavoury but I've given up so anyway...) - this spot was gloriously quiet in the hubub of the MK. It was like a little bit of peace and tranquility, very calming. I would have gone there to hide even as a none smoker, gem of a spot. I'm trying to locate it in my head - near the train station entrance maybe? It was not an obvious place - not littered with back to back people pulling at their lungs in exile like most of the other WDW allocated smoking spots.

If no-one out there understands, start your own revolution and cut out the middle man (Billy Bragg)

Wandering lonely as a cloud...
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
    Toontown had the best fresh fruit cart in the park we found. I hope they move that somewhere else.

There's also a place to smoke there (yes I know that's unsavoury but I've given up so anyway...) - this spot was gloriously quiet in the hubub of the MK. It was like a little bit of peace and tranquility, very calming. I would have gone there to hide even as a none smoker, gem of a spot. I'm trying to locate it in my head - near the train station entrance maybe? It was not an obvious place - not littered with back to back people pulling at their lungs in exile like most of the other WDW allocated smoking spots.
    Yeah, there is a smoking area at the train station in Tunetown.
    I always wondered at the placement of that smoking area as it seemed a bit close to nonsmoking related activities.
    I recall sitting on the train in the path of drifting smoke and noticing that it was definitely an officially designated smoking area.

Another thing that I have noticed about Tunetown is that on sunny summer days it is one of the hottest places in the Magic Kingdom.
    There's very little shade and the sun seems to really beat down, which I found odd as the little people tend to be wide awake at midday and going to sleep when it starts cooling off in the evening.
    I got stuck in Daisy's house in the middle of a heavy crowd once.
    Once I got in there it was apparent that the electricity, and the air conditioning, was off. Really not fun.

Perhaps I won't be missing Tunetown all that much...
    The mosquito's food of choice, primitive humanoid lifeforms, have colonies all over that planet.

"some people live for the rules, I live for exceptions"-311

I will miss Minnie's house the most. I loved it! All the decor and interactive stuff. I was looking forward to taking my nieces there. Oh well. If anyone is going soon, could you possibly take pictures and post them?

Blog Entries

I thought Minnie and Mickey's houses were staying?

Honestly though I am all over the place right now mentally that I could totally be making that up haha.

Kristin

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasthere View Post
    I thought Minnie and Mickey's houses were staying?

Honestly though I am all over the place right now mentally that I could totally be making that up haha.
    That's what I understand as well. Both Houses are now staying. And I thought I read it in one of the weekly WDW updates.
    Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

I can't really say I will miss Toontown.....I'm SO psyched about Fantasyland Forest!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CBFETT View Post
    That's what I understand as well. Both Houses are now staying. And I thought I read it in one of the weekly WDW updates.
    I think you're right about where you read it (since I recall reading it recently too, and that's about all I've read recently). I think there may have been an issue that they SAY they are keeping them, but they aren't located on the master plans anywhere (or at least versions of the plans available to us)
    Cathy

Well, as sad as I am about the end of Toontown, I *did* use it last night to convince DH to take our little guy back this fall!! I said, with a sniffle, "It's too bad we didn't get a chance to let him play in Toontown a little more. He didn't even get to see the insides of Mickey and Minnie's houses. sigh." (Please, don't any of you tell my DH about the announcement to keep the houses, 'kay?)

--jenny

What Disney Expert came up with this closing plan, Everything that Disney is based and built on is in ToonTown why would it be changed, If they want to rebuild something take out of the carousal of progress, Along with The Great Movie Ride, repair the burning cabin. clean up the indians. Instead of removing they should be adding to toon-town.

WDW's Toontown has never done a thing for me, but then I'm not the target audience. I think Disney could do better - still have an area where kids can meet & greet the characters, but have better scenery and theming and even attractions to make the area attractive to us big kids.

- James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by ls3015 View Post
    What Disney Expert came up with this closing plan, Everything that Disney is based and built on is in ToonTown why would it be changed, If they want to rebuild something take out of the carousal of progress, Along with The Great Movie Ride, repair the burning cabin. clean up the indians. Instead of removing they should be adding to toon-town.
    Huh? I don't get what you mean......COP, ok--I like it, but I get that. Great Movie Ride is at the studios. Which burning cabin? Indians? You mean over by Big Thunder Mountain RR? I missed the connection....

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What Disney Expert came up with this closing plan,
    Have you seen what they're doing in the area? They're basically making Fantasyland even bigger to encompass the whole area, and also utilize some of the former sub lagoon that's been empty between Fantasyland and ToonTown.

Also, I belive one of the articles I read said some of the buildings were built as 'temporary' buildings when they did one of the predecessor themes of that area, and we're getting to the end of what is a reasonable life for something built as 'temporary'.
    Cathy

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    while their at it, they should rip out the speedway or what ever it is called, that has to be the most obnoxious non disney ride in any of the parks

Absolutely take out the Speedway! Nobody wants to ride that.

Agreed that there's nothing innately Disney about it, but it holds quite a bit of magic for a few guests.

--jenny

I have to say that, on a quiet MK morning with small crowds and short lines, I'll go for a spin on the Speedway. It's not huge thrills, but I've been riding it and its predecessor in DL since I was 6, and it's still fun for me!

- James Taylor

I still dig the speedway. I have been riding it since I was 7 and still enjoy it. But now that I have kids, the smile and laughter it brings them is priceless! So I say keep it. But on a really hot day with lines it is even hotter around that ride. Plus my kids love Toontown so we are sad it is being dismantled. But also we are we are excited about the upcoming changes.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

Most people just don't like change, but I'm REALLY looking forward to these changes! I think it will be a huge boon for F-land.

I like change and new stuff. I think these changes will be good changes and add more to F-Land. However, the worst change ever was getting rid of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. I can deal with losing Mr. Toad, but the other one still really hurts!!!

Chris