Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ohana - just back

Ohana - just back

I finally ate at OHANA! loooooooooooooved it! Oh man wa sthat good...dh has not been the same since eat there lol

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

2. # ADS

It is kind of life changing, isn't it? I like to eat there about every other visit. My goal is always to NOT fill up on the appetizers, but they're just so freakin' good that by the time I get to the bbq chicken wings I'm really starting to stuff out - and that's BEFORE they start bringing out the skewers of meat & shrimp! TOTALLY YUMMY PLACE TO EAT!!!!

The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Please be sure to add your review to the MousePlanet User Reviews page!

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Ohhhhh, I can't wait to try it myself. I booked dinner for me and DH for our anniversary (kids will go to the Neverland Club that night). I'm glad that you enjoyed it :-)

"All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am in the minority on this place - I didn't like it at all!! The meats were all tough and dry - blech. Dessert was awesome though!

Awright!

I will be there in F_O_U_R days!

Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas

Pre-DVC '98? & 7/07 off-site, 7/08 Contemporary DVC: 2/09, 6/09, 7/09, 9/09, 11/09, 3/10, 10/10, DREAM 11/11

oooohhh that dessert..I never thought I would like it.....LOVED IT!

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Quote Originally Posted by dvcmom View Post
    i will be there in f_o_u_r days!
    u will have great weather enjoy!
    Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    It is kind of life changing, isn't it? I like to eat there about every other visit. My goal is always to NOT fill up on the appetizers, but they're just so freakin' good that by the time I get to the bbq chicken wings I'm really starting to stuff out - and that's BEFORE they start bringing out the skewers of meat & shrimp! TOTALLY YUMMY PLACE TO EAT!!!!

OH I so Love it too, I could eat there all the time. TOTALLY YUMMY

It's a treasure-we found it together
    MousePad Subscriber
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzieQ View Post
    I am in the minority on this place - I didn't like it at all!! The meats were all tough and dry - blech. Dessert was awesome though!
    I'm now with you. My first trip, I LOVED it! It was the only repeat restaurant for our next trip. This time we felt rushed and underwhelmed. It seems to be hit or miss, from what I can tell (but really really good when it hits). We decided to skip it next time.
    Why do people go on The Amazing Race without bothering to learn how to drive a stick shift?

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I was expecting to NOT like it, but I really enjoyed it. Probably partly because I was with over 20 friends which adds to the excitement and fun, but I was shocked (and embarrassed) by the amount of food. Almost obscene. All of it was very good. I did eat extra salad of all things. EXCELLENT dressing!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
    This time we felt rushed and underwhelmed.
    Rule #1 - never let them make you feel rushed. Just dont let it happen regardless of where you go. Not trying to sound rude, but while I promise I will not sit there and take 3 hrs to eat, they will not try to get me in and out of a place like that in less than an hour or so. (PS- Personally - this place has always been one of the best places to have an arrival dinner.)

Quote Originally Posted by tdelaney_98 View Post
    I did eat extra salad of all things. EXCELLENT dressing!
    Oh wow - I just had a tastebud flashback. That dressing was fab! Really - this is a place I would love to go to again soon - like in July. (Gotta tell the Mrs - the queen of all ADR's.)
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    Rule #1 - never let them make you feel rushed. Just dont let it happen regardless of where you go. Not trying to sound rude, but while I promise I will not sit there and take 3 hrs to eat, they will not try to get me in and out of a place like that in less than an hour or so. (PS- Personally - this place has always been one of the best places to have an arrival dinner.)

Oh wow - I just had a tastebud flashback. That dressing was fab! Really - this is a place I would love to go to again soon - like in July. (Gotta tell the Mrs - the queen of all ADR's.)
    The dressing is fabulous...oh I taste it now
    Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

My whole family absolutely hates bananas!

So when they brought out the dessert we all just took a tiny bite....and then after that...the forks were flying and it was each person for him/herself!

Yummy!

That place is awesome. I have actually made the salad dressing, twice. Yummy!

One of the first things I did after I booked our short trip to WDW was book Ohana for our first night, it's a tradition. So imagine my dismay when my daughter said "I don't really like Ohana"....what? My son and I love it and just assumed that she did too. So I had to cancel and booked Boma instead since we're all paying our own way on this trip (a first for me, woohoo!)

I'm still going to Tambu Lounge on our first night and watching fireworks on the beach....I can't wait.

Vicki
    CBR-May 2007, POFQ-Dec 2007, POFQ-Sept 2008, CSR & HRH-Sept 2009, AKV Kidani & RPR-May 2010

"If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane"-Jimmy Buffett

Quote Originally Posted by mickeymom5 View Post
    My whole family absolutely hates bananas!

So when they brought out the dessert we all just took a tiny bite....and then after that...the forks were flying and it was each person for him/herself!
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, they used to have a totally simple dessert - fresh pineapple slices with a warm caramel dipping sauce. Sounds kinda lame at first, but after a meat-heavy meal it was such a light and wonderful and incredibly tasty combination! But then like Disney does with success, they had to go and mess with it. The bananas thing is good, but it ain't nothing like that pineapple and caramel!
    - James Taylor

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    As I've mentioned elsewhere, they used to have a totally simple dessert - fresh pineapple slices with a warm caramel dipping sauce.
    Makes me wonder if that can be requested instead of the Bananas Foster type of dessert.... (GusJr. LOVES pineapple.)
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

They actually did have it by request for awhile, but the pineapple was from a can, not the totally fresh slices. Still, pretty good. I've heard that they don't even have it by request any more, but you can always ask.

- James Taylor

I really, really hope it was just my surly waiter, and not a new policy, but when I asked for pineapple for just my picky 3-yr-old (we were a large group of adults, and my boy), the waiter refused unless I wanted to be charged $5.99 for the serving. I was very disappointed, because the poor child ate almost nothing that night (I never thought to ask for a kid's menu, and it wasn't offered) and I knew he'd pig out on pineapple, but I bought him a pretzel later instead.

I recommend you try asking for it anyway, and let us know what the results are.

--jenny

GusMan: (PS- Personally - this place has always been one of the best places to have an arrival dinner.)
    Gusman, that's a great idea. I'm going to try get a reservation at O'hana for Helena and I on our check-in evening in December. I've always wanted to dine there, but don't like taking time away from the parks for off-site meals. Thanks for the suggestion.

Not that it matters, but I'm perfectly happy with my Coral Reef reservation on my arrival day THIS THURSDAY (not that I'm counting or anything . . .).

- James Taylor

This Thursday! Have a great time! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Quote Originally Posted by dlfansx4 View Post
    Ohhhhh, I can't wait to try it myself. I booked dinner for me and DH for our anniversary (kids will go to the Neverland Club that night). I'm glad that you enjoyed it :-)
    I hope you realize that it's more of a family restaurant, than a quiet romantic spot. There will be lots of little kids there, and they even have games and dancing going on during the meal, mostly to keep kids occupied. We have been there several times with our kids, and there were mostly families with kids there. The food is great, and we really enjoy it, but, personally, I would not consider it a date night kind of place. If you want a romantic adults-only meal, I would suggest the California Grill (at the Contemporary); Artists Point (at the Wilderness Lodge); or Jiko (at the Animal Kingdom Lodge). The Contemporary does not have a kids' club, but the other Deluxe hotels do, and it's easy to drop your kids off at the same hotel where you plan to have a quiet dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by mom22gls View Post
    I hope you realize that it's more of a family restaurant, than a quiet romantic spot. There will be lots of little kids there, and they even have games and dancing going on during the meal, mostly to keep kids occupied. We have been there several times with our kids, and there were mostly families with kids there. The food is great, and we really enjoy it, but, personally, I would not consider it a date night kind of place. If you want a romantic adults-only meal, I would suggest the California Grill (at the Contemporary); Artists Point (at the Wilderness Lodge); or Jiko (at the Animal Kingdom Lodge). The Contemporary does not have a kids' club, but the other Deluxe hotels do, and it's easy to drop your kids off at the same hotel where you plan to have a quiet dinner.
    Thanks - we do realize that as we have a character breakfast planned there for the kids as well. My DH and I really wanted to try it for dinner though, but my kids are picky eaters and there is nothing on the menu that they would like there. It not so much of a "romantic date night" as it is a dinner without the kids complaining that they don't like the food (or us paying for them to be there but them not eating anything, LOL). We just picked our anniversary night as a reason to be "selfish" for one night, LOL.
    So we will get a drink before dinner, enjoy the atmosphere and food at the restaurant (at our leisure) then take a walk along the beach before picking up the kids. Thanks for the head's up though. Had we been expecting something different, I can see how we could have been very disappointed.
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."
    -Walt Disney
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~