Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Polynesian vs Beach Club

Polynesian vs Beach Club

OK a trip is getting closer by the minute. Need everyones advice. We have the Poly on hold for seven days and got a quote on the Beach Club. Basically the Poly will be $165 more for the week. Both are deluxe (Which makes the Wife happy) and me too!!! I have always wanted to stay at the Poly and the room pics from Kristin (Big Thanks) helped. But wanted everyone's two cents so to speak on the two resorts and which one you thought was best. We have three little ones (6, 5 & 5) who are already seasoned WDW vets (4th trip in 2 years but we live in Atlanta and drive), but being on the loop is a big plus! I appreciate your help! And use of the pool and theming are big for us.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CBFETT View Post
    And use of the pool and theming are big for us.
    Beach Club. No question.
    Cathy

I would vote for the Poly because I've never been there. I've walked thru and it looks lovely. I have stayed at the BC though and wasn't really impressed. But then their "lazy river pool" is absolutley wonderful.

I guess for me, it's just that it's been hard to get into the Poly. But that just might be a matter of $$. I think they have wonderful food and are so close to everything that it makes for a wonderful trip.

Just my 2 cents worth. Your stay at either one will be magical!!

GnP

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Do your kids like MK or EP & DHS better? If it's MK, I say go for Poly and if it's EP/DHS, go with BC simply for accessiblity to those particular parks. BC has a better pool, by far, and is a bit newer. But Poly has one of the best amenities on site: access to MK and a view of Wishes from the beach.

Sam

"When you wish upon a star..."

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

I'd say either too. If MK is a bigger priority, I'd go Poly (that price is really good). If you use the pool a lot, then I'd go BC.

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

being on the loop is a big plus! And use of the pool and theming are big for us.
    Polynesian. No question.

The convenience can't be beat, with either the monorail loop or the proximity to the ticketing and transportation center.

I love the themeing of the Poly. And to see the fireworks from the beach. Yep. No question, especially if it's only $165 difference in price.
    Mary@MasterpieceTravels.com

And don't forget, you can see the electric water parade from the Poly too. Of all my childhood wishes from watching the Disney shows, the thing I wanted to see most was the electric water parade. It's beauitful.

GnP

Thank you everyone for your insights. All very good points!!! I think what it will come down to for us, is the fact I've always wanted to stay at the Poly since I was like 10, being able to watch the fireworks and electric water padgent from the beach, being on the monorail loop, only a $165 difference between the two, and the belief we won't get such a good deal on the Poly like this again! The pool is a big thing for us as well and the one at Beach Club looks awesome!! Having a lazy river too is very tempting!!! But also I always wanted to go down that volcano water slide at the Poly! So we will be booking one or the other by the end of the weekend. Right now I'm leaning to the Poly. During free time I keep going back to the Disney Web site and checking out both hotels in detail including restaurant menus. Beach Club wins on dining too. Oh bother, what to do. But I'm thankful to be able to be in this position.

Offsite 77, FW 80, Offsite 88, Offsite 90, Offsite 92, Offsite 97, CSR 04, POR 06, CR 08, POR 09, Offsite 09, Poly 10, POR 11, Offsite 11, Offsite 12, VWL 12, Poly 13, SSR 13, OffSite 13, OKW 14, CBR 15, DL 17, PCR 17, DL 18, Offsite 19
    Chris

T I think what it will come down to for us, is the fact I've always wanted to stay at the Poly since I was like 10,
    Fulfilling a childhood wish would be awesome. I got to do that at DLR and eat at the Blue Bayou. Not only did I really enjoy it, but it also gave me a real feeling of fulfillment.

Blog Entries

Chris, are you the person who's wife wasn't sure about the Poly and things being in different buildings? The Beach Club is all one building, if that's a deciding factor for you. Heck, I am pretty sure you can walk all the way through the Yacht Club without going outside.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Chris, are you the person who's wife wasn't sure about the Poly and things being in different buildings? The Beach Club is all one building, if that's a deciding factor for you. Heck, I am pretty sure you can walk all the way through the Yacht Club without going outside.
    Cathy, that wasn't me asking about things in different buildings. I was the one that asked about room size and beds in the "What resorts have you stayed in?" thread. And Kristin (aka..wishiwasthere) was kind enough to post some pics. We are a family of 5 and last year when we stayed at POR, it was real tight for us, even with the trundle bed. My wife and I felt like everyone was on top of each other. And our kids were only 5, 4 & 4 at the time. We stayed at the CR Tower 9 months earlier and were much more comfortable. so that's when my wife stated only deluxe next trip. But it's good to know about the BC being one building. I will add that to my decision process. I know Poly is spread out.

And P.S. - Congrats to your Saints!!!!
    Chris

Blog Entries

Ok, good. Glad I was mixing you up with someone else.

I have never stayed at the Poly, but one time when I was at the Beach Club with my sister in the lazy river (we were in our late 30s and early 40s at the time) we commented that if we'd stayed there as kids, Mom and Dad maybe would have had a tough time convincing us to go to the parks. Now we were all huge water-lovers growing up, but it really was a good thing Beach Club wasn't open when we did our trip to Orlando.

Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal View Post
    Fulfilling a childhood wish would be awesome. I got to do that at DLR and eat at the Blue Bayou. Not only did I really enjoy it, but it also gave me a real feeling of fulfillment.
    I know just the feeling and that's what's pulling me in the direction of the Poly! 2 years ago I fulfilled another childhood wish when we finally stayed in the Contemporary Tower with a MK view! And it was everything I hoped it would be. From watching Wishes and the water padgent from our balcony, to walking out our door and seeing the monorail whoosh through, and having the curtains open at night going to sleep looking at Cindarella's castle all lit up! Waxing poetic now.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Ok, good. Glad I was mixing you up with someone else.

I have never stayed at the Poly, but one time when I was at the Beach Club with my sister in the lazy river (we were in our late 30s and early 40s at the time) we commented that if we'd stayed there as kids, Mom and Dad maybe would have had a tough time convincing us to go to the parks. Now we were all huge water-lovers growing up, but it really was a good thing Beach Club wasn't open when we did our trip to Orlando.
    See that's the big pull right now keeping me from making a decison. Good thing I have 5 days left! We are huge water people and spend at least one full day just hanging at the pool when at Disney and try to go for a little each day. Gotta get that mid day break! And the BC pool looks to be the best of any resort I have seen at Disney!
    Chris

See that's the big pull right now keeping me from making a decison.
    Sometimes when I can't make a decision I put myself in the future, I pretend I decided on A and try to figure out if I would regret not doing B. Then I reverse it. I have to be completely alone to do that kind of imagining though

The other thing I think about is if I don't do A now, could I do it later, and the same for B.

I really want to stay at the Beach Club, but I think I'm cheering for you to pick the Poly. Just the childhood dream thing

Quote Originally Posted by texasgal View Post
    Sometimes when I can't make a decision I put myself in the future, I pretend I decided on A and try to figure out if I would regret not doing B. Then I reverse it. I have to be completely alone to do that kind of imagining though

The other thing I think about is if I don't do A now, could I do it later, and the same for B.

I really want to stay at the Beach Club, but I think I'm cheering for you to pick the Poly. Just the childhood dream thing
    It's funny, but my wife just called and kinda gave me similar advice. She was like look you got the deal you wanted to stay at the Poly, let's take it and we can always go back and stay at the Beach Club next time. Did you hear that???? She said next time. I like associating the words "Next Time" and "Disney Vacation"!!!! Still leaning the Poly's way. And I think a little more after that.
    Chris

2 years ago I fulfilled another childhood wish when we finally stayed in the Contemporary Tower with a MK view!
    I got to do this same thing a few years ago, when they were running a special AP rate of $99/night. I was totally jazzed with my room, but about a day into the trip I got the cold of the century! So I spent a lot of time at my window, looking down on all the ferries and monorails and the MK and the people all having fun, while whimpered away in my room!!!

Needless to say, I booked a return trip as soon as I could to the Contemporary, and had a blast!
    The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.
    - James Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    I got to do this same thing a few years ago, when they were running a special AP rate of $99/night. I was totally jazzed with my room, but about a day into the trip I got the cold of the century! So I spent a lot of time at my window, looking down on all the ferries and monorails and the MK and the people all having fun, while whimpered away in my room!!!

Needless to say, I booked a return trip as soon as I could to the Contemporary, and had a blast!
    Oh man that is terrible! I would have been soooo bummed! But glad you got that return trip!!! No matter which other resorts I stay at the Contemporary Tower will always probably be my favorite and hold a special place for me. It was one of the first things I saw at Disney as a child when zipping through it on the monorail. And I was hooked then and there.
    Chris

Thanks again everyone for your feedback! After just speaking with my wife, it's going to be the Poly in 2010!! The lure of the dream, being on the loop with young ones where the MK rules pretty much, and getting the deal I wanted sealed it. Along with the next time comments. Oh and it just happens to be a Star Wars Weekend again when we are there for he week....BONUS!!!!

Chris

Congrats on booking the Poly! That's where I would have chosen too, after a wonderful stay last July. Have fun and can't wait to here about the trip!

Oh good! My dog found the chainsaw! -Lilo

I was in a similar situation myself when booking this trip. When we went on our first trip to WDW we couldn't afford to stay onsite. This time our intention was to stay at the POP, but I couldn't get over the room size. So we went with SS, but I didn't like the location. I didn't want to look at DTD. But with the 40% off to stay at the Poly, where I really wanted to stay was just too much of a lure. So we decided in for a penny in for a pound and went with it.

I would love to stay at the Contemporary, but I think I will save it for when and if DH and I make a trip alone.

Hey CBFETT we just might run into each other, looks like we might be there during the same time.

WDW 2008 off-site, WDW 2010 Polynesian (Club), WDW Polynesian Dec 15-21 2011 (Club), WDW WL Nov 20-Nov 27 2014

Congrats back at you Tater for your trip to the Poly! And we won't be hard to spot twin boys and me in my traditionally Red Sox hat. Maybe we will see you there as we will be there at the same time for at least the majority of the week. And if you ever do stay at the Contemporary, make sure it's the tower with MK view! I promise you won't be disappointed!

Chris

Make sure for the Poly - you scope a hotel map and request a particluar building in advance, don't want to end up stuck out around the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by h1story3 View Post
    Make sure for the Poly - you scope a hotel map and request a particluar building in advance, don't want to end up stuck out around the parking lot.
    Thanks and will do!
    Chris