MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

D23 announces 2010 special events schedule

D23 ANNOUNCES 2010 SPECIAL EVENTS SCHEDULE

Disneys Official Community for Fans Creates New Experiences
    and Surprises to Entertain and Delight Its Growing Membership

BURBANK, Calif. Jan. 14, 2010 D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans today unveiled a host of special events that have been designed especially for its growing worldwide membership base.

Among the exciting offerings for 2010 are exclusive D23 one-year anniversary parties at the Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World Resort, free 50 and Fabulous film screenings at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, and a special 40th anniversary celebration event to honor the Walt Disney Archives.

In our first year, D23 created some truly memorable event opportunities for our members, and this year we plan to outdo ourselves with a mix of all-new events and encores of fan favorites, said Steven Clark, head of D23. D23 Members are going to have more opportunities than ever to be part of the Disney magic through the events we have planned in 2010, and we hope theyll be as excited as we are to experience them alongside their fellow members.

D23 Members will receive notification of special events and reservation times via e-mail, and all events are offered on a space-available basis. More details on events, and on becoming a D23 Member, can be found at www.disney.com/D23.

SAVE THE DATE! D23s special-event lineup includes:

January 22, 2010: A Practically Perfect Night of Surprises with D23 and Mary Poppins

D23 Members will attend a performance of the critically acclaimed Mary Poppins at the Ahmanson Theatre in Los Angeles plus an exclusive post-show experience with the Mary Poppins cast and a top-secret surprise guest. (Hint: Its an actor from the classic 1964 film.) D23 Members will receive 20 percent off select tickets for the January 22 performance (in various seating locations and price ranges). Visit the D23 website at www.disney.com/D23 for ticket information and availability.

February 13, April 10, August 14 and November 13, 2010: D23 Day at The Walt Disney Studios and Archives

D23 Members will get a behind-the-scenes look at the legendary Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank and at the Walt Disney Archives on a two-hour tour hosted by D23 and Archives staff members. Three tours will be held on each date, and each tour can accommodate 50 people. In D23s Charter Year, these special tours sold out almost immediately. Tickets for the February 13 and April 10 tours will be available at 10 a.m. Pacific time Tuesday, January 26, and are $50 per person.

March 5, 2010: D23s First-Anniversary Party at the Walt Disney World Resort

Hundreds of D23 Members are expected to gather from around the country and around the world for a once-in-a-lifetime night of magic and memories. The evenings festivities include a private dinner inside the Magic Kingdoms Diamond Horseshoe Saloon, followed by an exclusive D23 viewing of Mickeys PhilharMagic. Afterward, guests will hear insider details about the upcoming Fantasyland expansion from Walt Disney Imagineering. The celebration will also feature a sumptuous dessert party, a special commemorative pin for everyone attending, and a host of surprises. More details, including reservation availability and pricing, will be announced shortly on D23s website at www.disney.com/D23.

March 10, 2010: D23s First-Anniversary Party at the Disneyland Resort

D23 will hold its one and only West Coast anniversary celebration in the most magical land at the Happiest Place on Earth: Fantasyland. D23 Members will take over all of Fantasyland for one amazing night filled with classic attractions, familiar characters (as well as a few you may not have seen in a while!), and a chance to see rare pieces of Disneyland history up close. Plus, D23 Members and their guests will enjoy an array of delicious Disney-inspired desserts, a special commemorative pin for everyone attending, and other surprises. Additional information, including reservation availability and pricing, will be announced shortly at www.disney.com/D23.

March 27, 2010: 50 and Fabulous Screening of Toby Tyler

At last years D23 Expo, Disney fans had a chance to see Disney masterpieces that were celebrating their Golden Anniversaries a new D23 tradition that continues in 2010, this time in the recently renovated, state-of-the-art, 400-seat Studio Theater on the Walt Disney Studios lot in Burbank. Tickets to the 50 and Fabulous screenings are free for D23 Members and their guests, and the series kicks off with a movie that hasnt been seen on the big screen since its first release in 1960: Toby Tyler, or 10 Weeks with a Circus. D23s screening of this lighthearted, live-action comedy will combine with special D23 surprises and the opportunity to enjoy a movie in this exclusive cinematic venue. Reservations may be made beginning at 10 a.m. Pacific time on Tuesday, January 26. (A $5 processing fee for each ticket will apply.)

As with all live events, dates and times are subject to change.

Additional D23 special events are planned throughout 2010, including:
    • May 8: 50 and Fabulous screening of Pollyanna at the Walt Disney Studio Theatre;
    • May 29-30: Flowers and Fireworks event at the Walt Disney World Resort, adding all-new elements as D23 expands the festivities to two days;
    • June 26: A special celebration at the Walt Disney Studios marking the 40th anniversary of the Walt Disney Archives;
    • July 10: 50 and Fabulous screening of Swiss Family Robinson at the Walt Disney Studio Theatre;
    • October 15-16: Sip & Stroll at the immensely popular Epcot International Food and Wine Festival;
    • October 23: 50 and Fabulous screening of The Sign of Zorro at the Walt Disney Studio Theatre
    • December 11-12: Magic and Merriment weekend at the Walt Disney World Resort;
    D23 is also in the planning stages for even more exciting 2010 events, details of which will be revealed in the coming months.

For more details on becoming a member of D23: The Official Community for Disney Fans, or renewing existing memberships, visit www.disney.com/D23.
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

2. # ADS

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

I'm remembering that the studios tour was free last year. This year, they're charging $50. Not sure that's a good idea, though I expect it will lessen the demand.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No word that they are for sure doing an Expo?

Cathy

I guess the tours may not be sell-outs at $50 a pop!!

I'm disappointed that the tours this year are going to cost us $50 each, for what was offered for FREE last year, and that we were shut out of, because they sold out so quickly. I notice they're offering 3 tours each day. How many tours did they offer each day last year?

I wonder if anything will be done to "plus" these experiences, to make the $50 ticket price worth it, or if it'll be the same as the free experiences last year.

We're passing on the Mary Poppins experience, since we're Ahmanson season ticket holders, MP was part of our season, so we already had tickets for our regular excellent seats back in December. I can't see paying for seats that wouldn't be as good, just to do the rest of the experience.

It'll be interesting to see what other info is posted about the Disneyland party, the Toby Tyler screening and other things. Also interesting to see they're charging a $5 ticket "processing fee" for TT. I wonder if this will keep the event from selling out, or if people will still go for it anyway.

Looks like Florida folks will get a more varied list of activities than we'll get in California. Ours all have to do with screenings at the studio.

Karen W2

Yeah, that's weird about charging $50 for the studio tours. I'm sure it's a "charge what the market will bear" type thing. But still not cool.

Last year they did 2 tours per day I believe. As for the other events, I didn't see a lot that interested me. Maybe the D23 Fantasyland thing depending on how much it costs and if I can get down there on a Wednesday. Way to prop up a weak night.

Comedy and Music
    http://www.RoadsideAttraction.com
    (Psst... I've got some Disney songs!)

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Johnson View Post
    Last year they did 2 tours per day I believe.
    I think they started with 2 and then added a third because of the demand. On the day we took our tour, there was a group before us and another group after us.

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Was it ever confirmed that the Expo would be an annual event? I wasn't expecting one this year...

I would have been willing to pay for the tour, because I understand there are costs associated with offering it, but not $50. Sorry, that busts my budget, and then some.

50 and Fabulous screenings for Polyanna and Swiss Family Robinson? I'm excited for those.

Smile Didn't realize DL party would be on a Wednesday night!

Hi Phil,
    I hadn't even looked at what day of the week that Fantasyland Party would be, but being on a Wednesday night goes with the tradition of when they have had non-D23 special events in the past, like for Pirates, Mansion, etc.

Being on a Wednesday night makes it much less likely for most people to be able to attend something like that. Most folks work during the week, like on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

So far tho, my hubby's been able to take time off, when we've needed it for special events, so depending on what the time and cost is, we may or may not be going to this event.

Karen W2

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

The rumor mill holds that the next Expo will not be until fiscal year 2011, which starts in October, 2010. Some have taken this to mean that there could still be an Expo this year, in October/November/December, but none of my sources have whispered anything to me to indicate that will happen. Just because that's the earliest they COULD do an Expo (there is supposedly no money in the FY2010 budgets) does not mean that's when they WILL hold one.

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I joined D23 with hopes that we would not be Cinderella again.

It has to be west coast.
    Affordable
    No movie premiers for me
    Tours, how do I get my scooter there? I could take the wheelchair but OMG the walking.

So that leaves one event at Disneyland and every one that I wanted were sold out in seconds or minutes. Even if I can afford such event are they really worth it? I do not see myself being part of D23 family and will be with the scullery maids. I cannot afford D23 which is an elite rich person's group. I have done the Expo which was way too expensive, poorly plannned, and had some problems. I did love the Expo.

ummm I just assumed that the EXPO would be an annual event in anaheim around the same weekend in September. i will be devistated if there is not one this year but I really cant see Disney not putting on another one. If anyone has any more information on the Expo or Expo to be PLEASE POST ASAP!!!!! Thanx

Annual Passholder and D23 Charter Member!!!! See ya at the EXPO! 2011

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    The rumor mill holds that the next Expo will not be until fiscal year 2011, which starts in October, 2010. Some have taken this to mean that there could still be an Expo this year, in October/November/December, but none of my sources have whispered anything to me to indicate that will happen. Just because that's the earliest they COULD do an Expo (there is supposedly no money in the FY2010 budgets) does not mean that's when they WILL hold one.

AVP
    can you imagine HalloweenTime crowds AND D23 Expo? or HOlidays and Expo? Yikes..

on charging for the tour it's not the best idea but I can see now that they want the members to pay the cast members who are managing/conducting. This way there is a cost/recovery model. And as stated it would hold back the masses. And - if you don't buy the magazine, how else will they make money off of you.

finally, on the One-year party - I am not surprised it's a weeknight. again - My feeling is this year they want to try and limit the crowds and possibly control the complaints of not being able to sign up. Last year some events (like Disneyland Bday) were on Saturdays and the sign ups and event itself were high demand. I hope it could come close to the Toad event - though I never attended that so I myself could not measure it. It would be based on others' experiences.

It seems they want to provide the best possible events without making it a cattle-call so my guess is they are trying to control things to avoid being inundated. I get it - and I think it's OK. That means, though, that many will get shut out.
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    Last year some events (like Disneyland Bday) were on Saturdays
    Actually, the Disneyland birthday screening event last year was on Friday, since July 17 was on a Friday last year.

And now the free events have a $5 processing fee that I don't remember seeing before . . . very disappointing. =(

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Actually, the Disneyland birthday screening event last year was on Friday, since July 17 was on a Friday last year.
    oh that's right. thanks...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah32384 View Post
    And now the free events have a $5 processing fee that I don't remember seeing before . . . very disappointing. =(
    where was that listed?

Blog Entries

AVP
    I believe there would have been a D23 Expo this year had it been a financial success for Disney. Based on reports from various other websites, the weak crowds on Thursday caused Disney to bus "on the clock" park castmembers over to the convention center to fill empty seats including Iger's opening address. They were given free admittance to the event and even a free lunch. Since the advance sale of tickets was not as Disney hoped, severely discounted D23 tickets were oftered to Southern California Disney employees (including corporate offices and studios (rumored to be $5.00). Disney probably could take a few conventions lessons by checking out the enormously successful Comic-Con in San Diego and the recently completed NAMM in Anaheim.

In the end, I didn't join D23 because I saw it more as a new revenue stream for Disney rather that a true "fan" club and that is becoming more apparent as everything in D23 seems to have an additional price tag. What it comes down to is you pay Disney annually for the right to pay Disney more money. I believe it was a report at CNN that ended with something to the effect that basically Disney is banking on people willing to pay money to become something of a "Disney insider".

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dban3 View Post
    I believe there would have been a D23 Expo this year had it been a financial success for Disney.
    I don't think anyone had any expectation that D23 was going to make money last year, and, where there was reportedly a corporate directive to some departments to find the budget to participate, I think they would have had a very difficult time ramming that through two years in a row.

Since the advance sale of tickets was not as Disney hoped, severely discounted D23 tickets were oftered to Southern California Disney employees (including corporate offices and studios (rumored to be $5.00).
    A friend who works in one of those corporate offices says she was offered a stack of free tickets - but that's not the point. I don't think it's realistic to expect a sell out crowd for the first year of an unproven show, especially considering the schedule of events wasn't published far enough ahead for people to decide they wanted to go. They pulled in as much of the local crowd as I think they could have expected, but the out-of-town member needed more notice and more incentive.

Disney probably could take a few conventions lessons by checking out the enormously successful Comic-Con in San Diego and the recently completed NAMM in Anaheim.
    I've heard that Disney has taken a strong look at Comic-Con, so it will be interesting to see what lessons they've learned. Hopefully they didn't pick up the "sit in this room and take up space in panel discussions you have no interest in just so you can have a seat for the late-afternoon panel you really wanted to see" strategy, because that just sucks.

In the end, I didn't join D23 because I saw it more as a new revenue stream for Disney rather that a true "fan" club ... Disney is banking on people willing to pay money to become something of a "Disney insider".
    I agree 100%. I haven't joined, and am not interested in doing so this year.

There were a lot of rumors swirling at the NFFC Show & Sale last weekend about possible future Expo dates, with Columbus Day Weekend being a prime candidate. That would fall into Fiscal 2011, but apparently there is a scheduling conflict with the Anaheim Convention Center. Time will tell if everyone was drinking from the same rumor fountain, or if there's something more substantial to this.

AVP

Blog Entries
    A friend who works in one of those corporate offices says she was offered a stack of free tickets - but that's not the point. I don't think it's realistic to expect a sell out crowd for the first year of an unproven show, especially considering the schedule of events wasn't published far enough ahead for people to decide they wanted to go. They pulled in as much of the local crowd as I think they could have expected, but the out-of-town member needed more notice and more incentive. AVP
    ah, but the spin by the public-facing marketing arm of Disney was indeed that there were massive crowds and tremendous interest. There are two streams here- realistic expectations and what may-or-may-not be what was forecasted to exec management. How many times in the past have we seen or heard Disney execs embelish a little on numbers or facts to mangement because that's what management wants to hear. Mind you I don't think Iger is like Eisner but with so many layers of management between boots on the ground and the exec offices -someone somewhere is trying to make it different. I don't have any stake in it - it's just an observation.

I've heard that Disney has taken a strong look at Comic-Con, so it will be interesting to see what lessons they've learned. Hopefully they didn't pick up the "sit in this room and take up space in panel discussions you have no interest in just so you can have a seat for the late-afternoon panel you really wanted to see" strategy, because that just sucks.
    AVP
    they did do sweeps of rooms for the more popular events at the show, and had queues set up one hour in advance - but much of that was on-the-fly lessons learned. I think having it on so many levels without a broad communication process was tough for them to get changes out. They tried twitter/texting and it was OK - but they need to come up with a way to have up to the minute (ok, 10 minutes) with changes throughout. Whether it's computer screens, update desks, etc.

There were a lot of rumors swirling at the NFFC Show & Sale last weekend about possible future Expo dates, with Columbus Day Weekend being a prime candidate. That would fall into Fiscal 2011, but apparently there is a scheduling conflict with the Anaheim Convention Center. Time will tell if everyone was drinking from the same rumor fountain, or if there's something more substantial to this.
    AVP
    Quite frankly if they have not announced anything yet I doubt there will be one. In order to get space for a show they have to book long in advance, and folks need time to plan (all of the suppliers, partners, you guys). Maybe it might be announced closer so as to create more urgency and hype - but that's risky. I personally don't think you could do the same thing every year. Does Disney do Comic-Con for it's film and TV properties or do the do D23? My money, if I am focused on most eyeballs, is on comic-con and what it has become - a fan-boy (and girl) event for all things sci-fi, fantasy, horror. If I limit it to D23 I won't reach the folks who are, say, Lost fans but not Disney fans. And duplicating presentations is never good - you lose interest.

Without a ton of stuff coming it could be an issue to hold an entire show. If they did it every other year there is enough new material to draw a bunch of people in IMHO.

OK, it's past 10 AM . . . the events that cost $50 are available, why not the Toby Tyler one that costs $5??

Blog Entries

D23 tickets for 1st year party announced. Feb 4th 10am. $65.00 per person.

http://d23.disney.go.com/expo/010410...niversary.html

In the end, I didn't join D23 because I saw it more as a new revenue stream for Disney rather that a true "fan" club and that is becoming more apparent as everything in D23 seems to have an additional price tag. What it comes down to is you pay Disney annually for the right to pay Disney more money. I believe it was a report at CNN that ended with something to the effect that basically Disney is banking on people willing to pay money to become something of a "Disney insider".
    Now that's an interesting comment. What would you like to see that would make it more of a true fan club?

In my experience fan clubs are another revenue stream. If a performing artist has a fan club, it's to bring the fans closer so they'll spend more money and be more attached to the brand. The crux of the matter is how much value the members feel they're getting for their money. For myself, I got way more than my $75 worth last year. Not sure about this year.
    Comedy and Music
    http://www.RoadsideAttraction.com
    (Psst... I've got some Disney songs!)