Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Gluten-free options at Disneyland?

Gluten-free options at Disneyland?

My son was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease, meaning he cannot eat any food products containing the protien Gluten (wheat, rye, malt, barley.) Can anyone with experience in this area assist? Thx very, very much! Passing on the churros...so, so sad

2. # ADS

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

There are lots of options. You can stop at City Hall and they will give you a list of where gluten-free foods are available. At any sit-down restaurant you can ask to speak to the chef who will help you navigate through the choices (and in some cases will fix special dishes just for you!)

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There's also a Passporter book about WDW with special needs, and I'd be super shocked if they didn't have a section about Celiac or at least food-related issues.

Cathy

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Did you want WDW choies or Disneyland choices?

Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Talk to chefs at each counter service for more information especially sit down restaurants. Bakeries, candy shops and other purveyors of food have a list of ingredient so you will know if that candy is safe. There is the possibility of cross contamination if they recycle the chocolate they use in dipping things. At ice cream shops there is the possibility of cross contamination from CMs who bang the hot fudge ladle on the waffle cones and they do not understand cross contamination. Ice cream shops will open a new tub and use a new scooper to prevent cross contamination of ice cream though.

Avoid any hot dogs that are sold from stands. They are premade so taking off the bun will not make them GF. The same is true of all prepackaged items. You can removed the factory sealed goldfish crackers from the Kid's Power Meal for example but a premade salad with croutons is not safe if they just take the salad back and pick out the croutons. The following is not the ultimate information and you still need to read labels and talk to chefs.

Commonly used products at DLR

Sweet n Low, Splenda and Equal are available in packets usually
    Coca Cola drinks
    Minute Maid slurpees
    Lays chips and other brands from Frito Lay.
    Nestle ice cream novelties and Delicias novelties
    Dibs ice cream novelties
    Dreyer's/Edy's ice cream and fruit bar novelties
    John Morrell hot dogs
    Orville Redenbacher Popcorn
    Fruit Bu leathers aka fruit roll ups but flat.
    Nestle hot chocolate
    Heinz ketchup
    grey poupon in some cooking
    French's mustard.
    Heinz Mayonaise

Quote:
    Kid's POWER Pack - with string cheese, Nonfat yogurt, sliced apples and whole-grain "fish" crackers. Includes choice of small Low-fat milk, orange juice, or small bottled water. $5.99
    The crackers are factory sealed so you can give them away or trash them.

Cole Slaw (Disney recipe and made on site)
    Apples, veggies, vinegar, apple juice and spices.
    I have not tried this yet but was told that it is gluten free.

KC Masterpiece barbecue sauce
    Quote:
    Ingredients: Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), water, vinegar, salt, less than 2% of:spices, natural flavors, modified food starch, dried garlic, dried onion, sodium benzoate as a preservative, tortule yeast, maltodextrin, xanthan gum, red 40, blue 1, sucralose and acesulfame potassium (sweeteners), caramel color, tumeric, paprika extracts.
    http://www.kcmasterpiece.com/faqs.html

Yeast
    http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/lo...hp/t16386.html
    Usually tortule and tortula yeast is safe and the proper name is tortula. Maltodextrin can come from corn and other plants. If it was from wheat then the packaged should be labeled as having wheat.[/quote]

DLR stands
    There is fresh fruit, trail mix, Mickey Bars, frozen bananas, slurpees, cotton candy, popcorn, kettle corn, caramel corn, corn on the cob, turkey legs, Fruit Bu (fruit leather like a Roll Up), fresh veggies such as carrot sticks, Delicias mango bars, and most if not all of the novelties. All stands that sell food take credit cards and other cards such as gift cards with the exception of prepackaged stadium foods like cotton candy and ice cream novelties.

Tomorrowland Terrace
    They offer burgers with bacon and cheese (can hold cheese and/or bacon) on gluten free bun, fries, veggies sandwich on gluten free bun, grilled chicken sandwich, grilled chicken salad with raspberry dressing, yogurt parfait, fruit plate, and a breakfast meal. Option of cole slaw instead of
    french fries and they have the Kid's Power Pack meal that is full of dairy and no gluten. This is a standard burger with option of cheese and bacon. It is the same burger that you get at Pinocchio Haus. It was pretty good for a gluten free burger and filling, it is food and the price is right.

Redd Rockett's Pizza Port
    I loved the rice noodles in mainara sauce but it took 20 minutes to get it.
    The barbecue chicken pizza is to die for but they use KC Masterpiece sauce so you can decide if that is safe or not. Some chefs will not make the chicken pizza though and some will.
    Pepperoni pizza, OMG, faint.
    They have salads also. Ask for a chef and they will walk you through the menu.

Tiki Bar
    Everything there is safe and Dole whips have soy and casein but not lactose.

Village Haus
    Standard hamburger patty with bacon and cheese that is wrapped in lettuce.
    French fries were the best part and they do dedicated fryers. They do not have buns currently but do have a fruit plate.
    I liked their burger but nothing can beat TAste Pilot's Grill.

ToonTown: Toon-Up Treats
    Not eaten there but you can get a chef salad and the kids hot dog with apple sauce and no bun.

Clarabelle's
    The only things available is the Kid's Power Pack with string cheese and ice cream novelties. The parfait is premade so they cannot make it GF.

Blue Bayou
    They are remodeling the kitchen and I am waiting to give them a second chance. I got a chunk of chicken, plain rice noodles with no sauce and veggies. For the price I could have had me a steak dinner at the plaza inn, a cheddar burger, a hot dog, chips, fries, and 3 drinks plus one popcorn.
    The service was great as was the restaurant but I do not like restaurants that cannot even serve me plain white rice or a boiled potato. Bring ketchup.

Cafe Orleans
    Not been there lately and they have salads, ratatouille, and the kids chicken and salmon meals with plain rice noodles.

Rancho Del Zocalo
    Not been there either, lately, sigh, so many places to eat.
    They offer vegetable and plain tacos, corn tortilla quesadillas, enchiladas, roasted chicken, fruit plate, and tostada salad without shell.

Celebration Round Up Barbecue
    Not tried this but they have barbecued tofu and GF meals except for dessert.

Stage Door Cafe and Golden Horseshoe Saloon
    I got gluten and soy free french fries from their kitchen via the Golden Horseshoe Saloon and they were a sorry state but they were still french fries. They share the same kitchen. Ice Cream should be safe.

Quote:
    Kid's POWER Pack - with string cheese, Nonfat yogurt, sliced apples and whole-grain "fish" crackers. Includes choice of small Low-fat milk, orange juice, or small bottled water. $5.99
    That is one option as the crackers are prepackaged.

Hungry Bear Restaurant
    I been waiting for it to come out of refurbishment.
    currently it is bacon cheeseburger, fries and checken caesar salad.

Plaza Inn
    Minnie's breakfast is to die for and they make omelets, and the best gluten free waffles plus the chef made special for me potatos and ham.

Steak uses montreal version of McCormick Grillmates and seems to be GF and I had no reaction except to the soy and that was not really noticible. They also use Grey Poupon on the steak.

They also offer mashed taters, veggies and a bunch of chicken drummetes.

Carnation Cafe
    WORST GF food in the park. Everyone else gets a steak with carmelized onions and cheese. I got veggies or salad and the steak on a gluten free hot dog bun. I could not have salad as they have no soy free dressing. I was disgusted by the steak. It was just some chopped steak on a bun. no cheese or onions. If I ever eat there again I will be bringing french fries and the toppings for a philly steak sandwich. I do not recommend this restaurant to GF people due to poor service and food that is not fit for a dog. It was an insult to hand me a plain steak when I should have had cheese and onions. They do not understand that GF does not mean no cheese and onions.

Blue Ribbon Bakery
    They offer in the morning containers of yogurt such as Dannon like you get a in a grocery store. They also have fruit.

Coke Corner
    HEAVEN
    Hot dog on a GF bun, chips and a drink. Love this place.

Award Weiners
    They have great hot dogs on gluten free buns.

Pizza Oom Mow Mow
    I love this place and staff spoils me rotten.
    they have the best GF pizza around.

Cocina Cucamonga
    Not tried recently and it is low on my list because I am part Hispanic and know enough about Mexican food to be insulted by their meager offerings. Kid's chicken taco is all you can have. Aint they ever heard of adult sized corn tortillas made the old fashioned way without wheat.

Baker's Field Bakery
    Chicken Caesar Salad and not tried that or them lately.

Tate Pilot's Grill
    SHEER BLISS
    cheddarburgers that are thick and juicy on a gluten free bun plus criss cross fries. They have kid's sliders without bun, chicken salad, and grilled chicken sandwich on GF bun. The barbecue sauce is yummy and safe as well as the fresh onions, tomatos, and lettuce. A really nice toppings bar.

Ariel's Grotto
    SHEER BLISS
    The chef will talk with you and make you a meal to your needs. I love the food and have spent way too much money there.

Cove Bar
    Currently open Friday, Saturday, and Sunday only. Kids are allowed at tables ONLY. They do carry in DLR gluten free beer. Talk to the chef and you should be able to get something gluten free. Enter via Ariel's but go striaght on through the upstairs to the bar. Not tried it as it always seems to be closed when I am there.

Golden Vine Winery - Trattoria
    The chefs will spoil you here and I recommend it as well.

Karl Strauss's beer truck
    They sell black pepper popcorn and I aint been daring enough to try that.

[bSchmoozies[/b]
    They sell smoothies which should be GF but at the price of one I am not paying that much just to try one as i am dairy free.

FairFax Market
    They sell fruit and veggie related snacks as well as trail mix which most if not all are GF. This is located across from the animation building.

Places that are not on the GF list
    Riverbelle Terrace is not on the GF list and I went there for breakfast and they could not even offer me a slice of bacon or a piece of fruit and did not try.

Bengal Barbecue Is not on their list. Their PArfai is probably premade back backstage thus the crunchy stuff cannot be removed. They have Frito -Lay chips and a fruit cup but not sure if that is safe. It is their sauces that makes them flavorful and thus not GF.

Pluto's Diner
    Nothing GF there except drinks and the pizza probably is made backstage.

French Market
    I think they closed.

Royal Street Veranda
    Used to have yummy food in a bowl. Not sure why we cannot just get a bowl of the gumbo. Only the drinks are GF at this shop at the corner next to Pirates.

Little Red Wagon
    Located near Plaza Inn and they have the best corn dogs but those are not GF. They sell Frito Lay chips and the usual drinks. Might as well go to Coke Corner.

Pacific Wharf
    They sell sandwiches, stuff in bread bowls, bread, and salads. I have not tried to eat there lately. I do not know why they are not on the GF list. Usually a site will make burgers without a bun or salads without the crunchies.

San Andreas Shakes
    Not listed on the GF list. I would worry about cross contamination from shakes containing cookie pieces. They do sell ice cream in a cup.

=================================

All restaurants at the Hotels have GF offerings. I love Hook's Pointe, Goofy's breakfast , Napa Rose, and PCH Grill. Some have few things and some like the character buffets make fresh waffles and pancakes that are GF, omelets to order, fresh fruit and excuse me as I am going to be daydreaming about that food.

=======================

Downtown Disney is hit and miss. I do not recommend ESPN zone as they could not provide me with potatos or rice with my GF meal. Rainforest Cafe was the same way. Any restaurant that cannot boil me a potato or even offer plain white rice is not worthy of being called a restaurant and don't get recommended.

I have not tried the others but be warned that Uva Bar, Catal and Naples are out of the people who own the Tuto restaurant in Epcot which is known for not being allergy friendly at times. I have so much money and am going to try Disneyland and DCA restaurants first. I have 20 in park and over 30 total to check still and only so much funding, time, and room for that much food. 2 meals a day is a lot for me. I fight the urge to go to the same happy places over and over. I am making an exception for Plaza Inn as they spoil me and make me feel like I am their personal guest and I have had one reaction and it was gluttony. I ate too much each time.

They use Heinz ketchup, grey poupon in some cooking, French's mustard.

I say that as I leave the deciding up to the reader. I have had no problems with KC Masterpiece barbecue. Instead of saying something is safe I let you the reader decide if it is safe for you. i may be having minor reactions that are so small as to not really notice it or it might be safe, so you decide.

http://www.kcmasterpiece.com/faqs.html
    American law requires that the top 8 or 10 allergens be listed on the label. I have seen it slip by but usually as a rule of thumb I go by ingredients if Gluten and wheat are not listed as an allergen.

Quote:
    Ingredients: Tomato puree (water, tomato paste), water, vinegar, salt, less than 2% of:spices, natural flavors, modified food starch, dried garlic, dried onion, sodium benzoate as a preservative, tortule yeast, maltodextrin, xanthan gum, red 40, blue 1, sucralose and acesulfame potassium (sweeteners), caramel color, tumeric, paprika extracts.
    For common American yeasts.
    http://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/lo...hp/t16386.html
    Usually tortule and tortula yeast is safe and the proper name is tortula. Maltodextrin can come from corn and other plants. If it was from wheat then the bottle would be labeled as having wheat.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

The original poster asked for Disneyland information on a WDW board so I posted my own list for DLR. Now for my WDW advice.

There are two WDW standards. Disney has trained staff that is aware of special diets and goes out of its way to meet the needs of guests. The other standard is that of places like Rainforest Cafe, Yak & Yeti, San Angel Inn and all eateries in Coronado Springs resort as they may not live up to the Disney standards. Marakesh is notorious for horrible allergen awareness. One lady ate there twice with the exact same list of limitations and each time she got a plain black and white print out of allergy foods available. What is disturbing is that only one thing was left on the menu and she got a different entree each time. Disney chefs on both coasts will try to work with the guest and adapt the menu such and clean pans, omitting ingredients, and substitutions.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...ialDietsVanity
    Contact them and they will give you a WDW list of restaurants and foods that are GF.

http://www.glutenanddairyfree.com/restaurants.html
    Taht is a site that talks about a person's GF trip to WDW.

WOW! What a great response , thank you so much It will take a few re-read to absorb all that info.

The pepp pizza at Reds is GF? Rice noodles, all the stuff he is sad to not be allowed to eat. Now, to read through again...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

So you really meant DisneyLAND?

Cathy

Yes, I intended Disneyland. I hit the wrong thread. But, still received exceptionally helpful advice. Thanks again to everyone esp. MECHURHLADY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    Hungry Bear Restaurant
    I been waiting for it to come out of refurbishment.
    Its been open the last 3 months we have been there.
    Bengal Barbecue Is not on their list. Their PArfai is probably premade back backstage thus the crunchy stuff cannot be removed.
    Have you ever had one? The granola is in a separate container.

French Market
    I think they closed.
    Again, they are open. They came out of refurb a year ago at least.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I was busy editing the post and updating it. I cannot have yougurt so I never tried one. Thank you very much for the additional information. As for Hungry Bear the original version of the post came out about the time it was in refurbishment. I have not been there since they refurbished.

I cannot guarantee the list to be up to date or even correct. All it takes is an ingredient change then you can or cannot eat something. For a while they thought Ribs where off limits at one restaurant but I explained that I felt the sauce was GF and that the company normally labels the top ten allergens and to contact them for more info.

I have not recently eaten at French Market, Cafe Orleans, skip the place with the gumbo in NOS, Storytellers, Napa Rose, Crocs Bits, Lost Bar, most of the DTD restaurants, the Toontown restaurants, and Hungry Bear but plan to visit them some day. I tried to eat at Lucky Fortune Cookery and was told no GF food there, was told no GF food at River Belle Terrace, and I skip the Bengal Barbecue because I cannot have soy and gluten.

I would love to see more people posting their special diets and needs so we can all learn what is out there. It cost more to eat at DLR probably but I love eating there because I am safe and with no alarm usually. I sat last night with Calvin and had me ribs, slaw, fries and a sundae without getting sick or fearing getting sick. I just ordered and told them my dietary limitations so the chef would know.

If you do eat at DLR make sure they have a dedicated fryer. Disney is pretty good about dedicated fryers but make sure you let them know.

Smile Help Please with eating in the Park [Gluten Free]

Hi there,
    We are plannning a trip from Nov. 21-Nov. 25 and I need some help finding some places that my 2 year old can eat. He is gluten free. If someone has the printable menus of some of the resturants, that would be perfect. I would love to be able to plan a few meals in the park. I think I remember seeing a link to the resturants. Thanks so much!

Princess in hiding underthesea1987's Avatar
    Click me!

They have a list here....

and here

Click me again!
    This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
    Lilo and Stitch

♥ Disney Lover ♥ Jenasweetemotion's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here is a site with all the menu's for you to look at.

“Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard.” -Pooh

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

The chefs at DLR and WDW go out of their way to help people out. I wrote the one at Disboards that Sue has linked and participated in the Mouse Planet boards on this subject. My problem is on what a two year old will eat as I am not a kid expert especially that young.

The above links will take you to adult meal suggestions where you can give the kid something off your plate like baked chicken and mashed potatos at Plaza Inn. As is stated over and over you should talk to leads or chefs at each restaurant so they know there is an allergy and to take extra steps like new gloves, using new bowls for mixing salads, and using clean pans. I know the steak dinner is safe but still let them know in case they change the ingredients.

Arroz con Pollo - Chicken & rice with smooth applesauce and small Low-fat milk. $3.99
    That should be gluten free. Available at some counter service restaurants.

Kid's POWER Pack - with string cheese, Nonfat yogurt, sliced apples and Whole-Grain "fish" crackers. $5.99
    The crackers are prepackaged thus this is gluten free and available at some counter service restaurants.

Carnation Cafe can do a gluten free hot dog bun instead of bread on kid meals.

Pizza Oom Mow Mow, Trattoria, and Pizza Port have rice pasta with mainara sauce.

Most restaurants except Golden Horseshoe Saloon and the Stagedoor Cafe have dedicated fryers for french fries.

Baby Center allows only baby food to be nuked in their microwave. Nurses stations can store nonrefrigerated items as their tiny fridges are for storing medicine only like insulin There are lockers also for storing food. Whitewater snacks and the bakery at DLH have microwaves.

I wish I could help more and will help you if I know of specifics. I just would not know what to feed a kid under age 15, lol. I can tell you where to find things and that the chefs go out of their way to make gluten free tasty meals even for babies and toddlers.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Kid's POWER Pack - with string cheese, Nonfat yogurt, sliced apples and Whole-Grain "fish" crackers. $5.99
    The crackers are prepackaged thus this is gluten free and available at some counter service restaurants.
    toyshop3,

Does your child have a diagnosis of celiacs, or is he gluten-free for another reason, and how strict is his diet? I ask because if your child has celiacs and/or is very sensitive to gluten, you probably want to call Disney before your trip and talk to them about your options. The kids power pack mentioned above is NOT gluten-free by a long shot - the Goldfish crackers clearly aren't, but the yogurt - while itself free of gluten source ingredients - may include a natural flavoring containing grain alcohol or gluten-derived stabilizers. You could find yourself paying $6 for a pack of apples and a piece of string cheese.

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    http://www.kintera.org/site/pp.asp?c=ewK0LjP7E&b=88697
    That has the email address of the two chefs you can contact. Both are really nice guys who should be able to help you.

Points to above post, told you I am not that kid friendly, lol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    The kids power pack mentioned above is NOT gluten-free by a long shot - the Goldfish crackers clearly aren't,
    Thank you. I was wondering about that, as I knew the Goldfish contained flour and had thought Gluten free needed to be free of flour.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

My FIL and BIL have Celiac's and have had successful eating adventures at DL and DCA. What I did was call Disney Dining ahead of time. They faxed me a list of GF menu items at each of the food service locations. From there I asked FIL and BIL where they would like to eat because having a plan would be best. They chose the restaurants and I called ahead to speak with the chef. I had to leave a message, but my call was returned. The chefs will often come to the table to talk to you about your dietary needs as well. They certainly do everything they can to accomodate you and make sure you have a safe meal.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

This needs clarifying, sorry everyone. I meant that the crackers are in a separate package. Being in a separate package means that the rest of the food SHOULD BE gluten free. The wording clearly says the crackers have whole grain which usually is wheat.