Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Disneyland with a blind child

Sorry read a little further and saw even more about the GAC and not bothering with one. Well without one even if you are blind and/or have a cane or guide dog without a GAC pass they will not sit you up front on rides or shows, with the GAC card that has a special stamp on it for front row seating they will give you just that front row seating, you may have to fight for it if the cm is not familiar with it since it must be a card/stamp not used much. I guess most blind persons are reading mouseplanet and thinking there is not pass for them, which is not true. True it is not front of the line, true you would not want that, true with your cane or dog you could use the alternitive exit, but that does not help the 95% of all blind persons who have some type of sight, a front row seat, or front row on a ride can help with the barrier of blindness and let you experience just that little more that you would have missed if you were seated way in the back with the w/c's like the cm like to put all those with the normal GAC pass, which is correct, most people with a normal GAC pass, with whatever stamp they get, have it for things like ADHD or Autism, and I am not knocking that but they need to be way in the back where they can make a fast exit, that is there disability. But for years I did not get a GAC pass, was told I did not need it, was told it would do me no good, was told that the dog was my pass or my cane was. No there is a pass with a stamp to help blind people and because of it not being used to much cm still do not all know what it means but it is great to have for many rides so you can experience them more, I don't want to kick anyone out of the middle row middle seat of soaring but that is where I can see, if I am on the end I can't see, if I am in the back of space looking at everyones heads that is all I can see, in front I can see the lights. So why should I not be allowed to use it to help me experience the ride a little bit more like others.

DL: 3/1993, 2/1994, 11/1995, 8/1996, 6/1998, 11/2002, 11/2003, 1/2006, 1/2007, 6/2007, 2/2009, 12/2009, 8/2010, 9/2012, 8/2014, 1/2015 WDW 3/2008, 2/2011, 5/2013, 3/2014

2. # ADS

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilesmt View Post
    Sorry read a little further and saw even more about the GAC and not bothering with one.
    The way I read the thread, several people were simply saying "and if anyone tells you that you can get a front of the line pass because this child is blind, they are wrong." That is a common misconception, and I'm not surprised that someone would want to get that out of the way immediately.

I wrote about the new Guest Assistance Card when the policy changed in 2003. My contact at Disneyland told me at the time that people who were legally blind were eligible to obtain the card, but said that they wouldn't get a "front of the line" stamp, Instead they could get the "front row" stamp Gilesmt described. Since then, I've been told that that stamp is very rarely used because CMs are supposed to consider guide dogs or white canes a "visible assistance device," and offer available accomodations to guests without the use of the card (just as those who are already using a wheelchair, cane or crutches do not need a GAC to use the accessible entrance).

AVP
    If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Our Day At Disneyland w/Blind Child

Well, we had a wonderful day at Disneyland today. It was a bit rainy, and that kept the crowds down. But the rain didn't dampen our spirits! We met Christopher and his dad this morning and got him his birthday button. I didn't know before, but this was his first time at Disneyland!

Tulley the guide dog puppy was with us and Christopher touched his back as we walked while I held the leash. Tulley was very sweet and the two of them got along real well. Christopher will most likely get a dog when he is older. He has been blind since birth (no sight) and can read braille.

We started on Main Street. Christopher climbed on the fire wagon in the fire house. Then we walked down to the alcove on the east side where the lockers are to listen for the piano lesson and hotel guest taking a shower, but the sound tracks were not on. We walked to the hub, so that he could feel all of the statues of the characters. He is very familiar with many of the characters and could recognize some of them by touch, such as Dumbo!
    After that, we walked over to the trolley so he could pet the horse, but the conductor said that this was not a good horse to touch, so he could only hear the clip clopping of the hooves.

We next went to Fantasyland. I had Christopher scrape his feet so he could feel where the drawbridge was. Then he touched the stone walls of the castle. He wanted to go inside, so we took the walking tour, stopping at each diorama and explaining the story. Lots of good sound effects inside. Christopher was familiar with the Pinocchio story, so we went on that ride next, followed by the Carrousel, then Dumbo. We then went to Small World, which he loved. Afterwards, we got in line to meet two villains, The Queen of Hearts and Captain Hook. We got autographs and pictures.

Next was lunch at Redd Rockets Pizza Port. Then we went on the Monorail and sat in the front of Monorail Orange. On the way back from Downtown Disney, the driver let Christopher sit in the control chair at the station and blow the air horn! We followed that with a trip on the submarines. Christopher was very familiar with Finding Nemo, so he loved the ride. He had heard the waterfalls when we went up the ramp for the Monorail and we explained that the submarines went under the waterfalls. So, while on the ride, he knew when we were going under them! From there, he went on Autopia with his dad and drove the car. Probably the only time he'll be behind the wheel of a vehicle!

Then we went to Toontown. Christopher really wanted to meet Mickey and going through the house was great because he could touch everything. We spent some special time with Mickey and Christopher got to touch his entire face and feel his ears. We got an autograph and lots of pictures. Toontown was great for him because of all of the sound effects. He loved the talking mailboxes and pulling on all the handles to hear the various sounds.

Next we walked to Frontierland to go on the Mark Twain. But when we arrived, it said the next trip wasn't for a half hour. It was getting late in the afternoon and he wanted to do some shopping before going home to his birthday dinner. We went all through the Emporium, with him checking out all of the stuff, but really didn't find anything to his liking. So we exited the park and went to World of Disney which worked out much better. He got a Jack Skellington doll in a coffin. And I got him his first pin for his lanyard.
    After that we took the tram back to the parking lot, where my friend had a present waiting for him and had made a card in braille.

So the day worked out wonderfully. We did a lot and Christopher really enjoyed it. His dad ended up upgrading their tickets to AP's so they can go more frequently. Thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions. His dad thanked me profusely, especially for spending the time describing the various visual attractions.

Blog Entries

So glad to hear he had a great time! For future reference, if he is ever interested, Disneyland also has braille guidebooks for "rent" ($20 deposit, you get it back when it is returned) and audio tours are also available. On one of your visits, you might check with Guest Services for future reference. (I don't know what they include.) The guidebook says "A digital audio tour is available for each theme park. The digital audio tour provides Guests with a sense of direction and a brief description of Guest services and attractions. A limited number of audio devices are available on a first-come, first-served basis."

Planning 3 trips at once...

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    So glad to hear he had a great time! For future reference, if he is ever interested, Disneyland also has braille guidebooks for "rent" ($20 deposit, you get it back when it is returned) and audio tours are also available.
    This is great information, which I will pass on to Christopher's dad. Both would be valuable tools for him!

Romance @ Disney Goddess
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwel View Post
    They do have an ipod audio tour of the park available for $100 (at city hall or at DCA guest relations).
    There is also a braille guidebook available (refundable $20 deposit).
    I knew I'd see that tip before....
    Hakuna Matata
    Parent of a Princess, Disney Cruise Line Community Leader, DL College Program Alum (PM me for info) , and former Disney Store Plush Princess
    There's nothing like listening to "Feed the Birds" while sitting on the steps of St. Paul's.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm glad he had a fun birthday!

Cathy

Wow sounds like you all had a Wonderful time!

I noticed this post late but it sure sounds like he had a wonderful time! What a special thing for you to have taken this child to Disneyland for his birthday! You are very special...I would love to take a blind child to Disney and help them to experience all of the wonder that is there to offer.

~Christina~

I am so glad that Christopher had a wonderful time. Even better that he had SUCH a great time that Dad is getting APs for them to go back. Thank you for all you did for him.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl