Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: GCH or DH for Someone in Scooter

GCH or DH for Someone in Scooter

We'll be traveling to DL next year and one of the moms we are going with has MS and needs to use a scooter to get around. Since this their first time at the park, they wanted to stay in a resort hotel. I'm partial to DH since my kids love it, but now I'm concerned about the distance from the park. However, I received comments from some folks (not using scooters) that while GCH was the closest to the parks, their room was really far away from the entrance of the hotel.

For those folks who have experience with scooters at DL, what would you recommend? I want to be sure this family has a great time.

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS

CL--DLR Trip Planning and DVC Toocherie's Avatar

Someone on a scooter will have no problem with either hotel--I have stayed at both and use a scooter many times. Both are well accessible and while the Disneyland Hotel is a bit further, it's a pleasant 'drive' through Downtown Disney to get to the hotel. If you are partial to the DH then I would say go for it!

"Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by minniemouse28 View Post
    We'll be traveling to DL next year and one of the moms we are going with has MS and needs to use a scooter to get around. Since this their first time at the park, they wanted to stay in a resort hotel. I'm partial to DH since my kids love it, but now I'm concerned about the distance from the park. However, I received comments from some folks (not using scooters) that while GCH was the closest to the parks, their room was really far away from the entrance of the hotel.

For those folks who have experience with scooters at DL, what would you recommend? I want to be sure this family has a great time.

Thanks in advance!
    Is she bringing her own scooter? Or is the walking concern because she would need to walk to get a scooter? If she isn't bringing her own scooter, I would recommend renting form an outside medical supply. The scooters are then able to be taken to the hotel, used in DTD, usually cheaper, and I prefer the type. I usually use Deckert's. ((714) 542-5607) They have been very good with me. Last trip, I didn't like the scooter they gave me (first time ever!) and called them, and 20 mins later, I had a new scooter.

Others use OC Medical Supply. I would compare prices. Both are very good.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Would the floor space (basic room in the room) be a factor in GCH vs DLH? I thought GCH was quite a few square feet smaller.

And although I've been lucky enough to not have to rent a scooter, I think renting from an offsite location is a really good idea - just so you have it from the gates to your hotel room, no matter WHICH hotel you stay at.

Cathy

Mal -
    She and her family are driving, so she is bringing her own scooter. She's able to walk very short distances (15 yards or less) using her cane.

Thanks for the information about scooter companies in the area that you recommend. I'll be sending that info to her so we have a back up in case there is an issue with her scooter

Blog Entries
    Mal -
    She and her family are driving, so she is bringing her own scooter. She's able to walk very short distances (15 yards or less) using her cane.

Thanks for the information about scooter companies in the area that you recommend. I'll be sending that info to her so we have a back up in case there is an issue with her scooter
    The distance shouldn't be an issue with a scooter. Yes, the rooms in the hotel can be quite a distance. And the rooms aren't that large. One suggestion would be leaving her scooter at the bell desk to free up room in the room. You can call down to the desk to have the scooter ready when she gets there to save time.

The "drive" through DTD is pretty. The corridors of GCH can be confusing. You turn to go with your group, and there are stairs, so you need to backtrack to find the ramp, go down it, and catch up.

Keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    One suggestion would be leaving her scooter at the bell desk to free up room in the room. You can call down to the desk to have the scooter ready when she gets there to save time.
    I didn't know that you could leave scooters with the bell desk. I'll let her know that it's an option so they don't have to keep it in the room. Thanks!!

Blog Entries
    I didn't know that you could leave scooters with the bell desk. I'll let her know that it's an option so they don't have to keep it in the room. Thanks!!
    I do this at a variety of hotels. Much easier than having to get it into the room, and having it block something.

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do this at a variety of hotels. Much easier than having to get it into the room, and having it block something.
    Do you have to specifically ask them to charge it overnight, or do they do it automatically, or do they not need to be charged every night?
    (I'm just thinking of questions that I'd ask if I wasn't used to staying places with a scooter. Hopefully they aren't lame questions and the answers will help the OP (or others reading).)
    Cathy

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

Based on taking my own scooter I would say that based on sq ft and other issues, my recommendation would be to go with a room at either the PPH or DLH...they are bigger than the rooms at the GCH. I know you can leave the scooter with the bell desk at the DLH and they will plug it in and charge it for you but the Bell Desk at either hotel is a LOT further than 15 yards. Every room we've ever had at the DLH the scooter has fit in but the elevators can be a bit of a tight fit depending on how big her scooter is. IF you didn't want the scooter taking up floor space in the room and have other people who are traveling with her she can always use the scooter to get to the room and then have one of the party take the scooter down to the bell desk then go retrieve it and bring it to the room or to the lobby of the tower right at the elevator depending on where the room is 'from the elevator'. DLH hallways are pretty straight forward...they run down the middle of the tower with rooms on either side, the halls at the GCH have turns and twists...

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

One suggestion would be leaving her scooter at the bell desk to free up room in the room. You can call down to the desk to have the scooter ready when she gets there to save time.
    Just a word of warning--although since it doesn't appear you are considering PPH it won't matter to you--but the Bell Desk at PPH will not keep your scooter for you and charge it overnight--something about the fire marshal came in and told them to stop the practice. So far that hasn't been the case at GCH or DH.
    "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I had room 2010 at Disneyland Hotel this past week. The staff will take out the box spring mattress to make the bed lower, move furniture, and do other little things to help out the disabled guest. My room had two huge beds and a sofa bed. I had a nice pool view and could easily have driven the scooter into the room. It would be a tight fit for a scooter in any hotel room. I could have parked one in front of the closet in theory or had the sofa removed. It depends on how many people you have but a scooter could have been left in my room but I prefer having the room to get about the room.

I would say go with the DLH as it has the Steakhouse 55 for breakfast and Goofy's as well as the pool which kids like. the only difference really is the pool and restaurants as Storytellers has great food also and both have stuff for kids to do like trivia contests. The room was very large and easy to get around in with mom's wheelchair. If you can you should try to get a roll in shower with a shower chair. It was nice for me to set there and bathe without fear of falling even though I normally use a regular shower.

If I had the money I would try GCH as it is a long way to roll or walk and tiring. I am recovring from a cold and exhaustion from the trip. I would rather have the closeness of the GCH but loved the room at DLH. which to choose, both seem so great.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and relaying your first hand experiences with this situation. The mom who will be using the scooter will be sharing her room with 2 other people, so there won't be a crowd in the room.
    We were all leaning towards staying at DH, so we'll continue down that path.

Thanks again for all of your input!

Not sure if this is widely done, but when we were at the GCH in June, I past quite a few scooters parked in the hallways and plugged in to charge. I never felt that it blocked any access while we were walking which would be a fire hazard concern. Mal or MammaSilva, have you ever left your scooter in the hall?

Happiness is that smile MammaSilva's Avatar

I can't speak for Mal, but I can say that I've never left mine in the hall. The scooters are expensive and it wouldn't take much to cause major damage. If it is a rental I'm still responsible for giving it a reasonable level of protection from abuse or damage and can be held liable for vandalism. I own my own scooter but there have been trips where it's just easier logistically to rent one locally rather than fill the back of my SUV with mine. I either bring the scooter into our room or put it with the bell desk where it has some level of protection.

Life is too short to wake up with regrets ~So love the people who treat you right
    Forget about those who don't ~ Believe everything happens for a reason.
    If you get a chance, take it If it changes your life, let it ~Nobody said life would be easy,
    they just promised it would most likely be worth it~ remember, Sometimes Miracles Hide

Blog Entries

I agree with MS. I have never left it in a hallway. I either drop it with a bell desk, or put it in the room.

Ditto--would not feel comfortable leaving it in the hall.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I only paid $125 for my old scooter but I would not feel comfortable leaving my scooter in the hall.

I must be a trusting old soul . . I have left the scooters out in the hallway if there is an extra wide spot. But just for an afternoon nap. I have never done it over night mostly because I was afraid they would be in the way for someone.

I perfer to park the scooter in the room if I can just so we don't have to go retrieve it in the morning. When it is time to go to DL, no time to waste!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4DL View Post
    I must be a trusting old soul . . I have left the scooters out in the hallway if there is an extra wide spot. But just for an afternoon nap. I have never done it over night mostly because I was afraid they would be in the way for someone.
    I have left them out during the afternoon, when we are in the room for a break. But not overnight.