Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dancing With the Stars - New Season!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenW2 View Post
    Still surprising that he, Mark and Lacey are Mormons, with the way they dance sometimes.
    Is Mark a Mormon? I know Derek and Julianne are, as is Chelsie Hightower, but never read where Mark or Corky were.

Of the Two Steps, my favorite was Chucks. My favorite dance over all was probably Kelly and Louis'.
    Planning 3 trips at once...

2. # ADS

Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Is Mark a Mormon? I know Derek and Julianne are, as is Chelsie Hightower, but never read where Mark or Corky were.

Of the Two Steps, my favorite was Chucks. My favorite dance over all was probably Kelly and Louis'.
    http://www.shirley-ballas.com/about_shirley.html
    Corky and Shirley Ballas raised Derek and Julianne Hough as Mormons. The Hough children were Mormons but not the Ballas family.

http://www.dancevision.com/news-and-press/39/
    That also says the Hough children were Mormons.

Blog Entries

I was sad to see Chuck go, but may be better now before he had to do the Hustle next week (don't think that would be pretty!)

I loved the pros Paso.

I was sad to see Chuck go, but may be better now before he had to do the Hustle next week (don't think that would be pretty!)
    LOL! - Thanks for putting a good spin on his loss. I don't think he was built to do the Hustle either.
    “Quality is a great business plan.”
    ~John Lasseter

Very surprised and disappointed that Natalie was sent home, she was one of my favorites. Also, not the worst dancer by far.

I like the line the Next Iron chef is using for season 2... Chefs have a bad day.... In a competition, you can't have a bad day.

This last week, some of the prior "lower level" dancers have some great performances, which put those folks with one bad performance this week at risk...

And why Natalie was sent home....

Check out my photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Tower of Terror is the best

I dont like Dancing With the Stars this year. I think last year had better talent.

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TowerofTerror View Post
    I dont like Dancing With the Stars this year. I think last year had better talent.
    Seriously? Both seasons have had similar competitors. Woz? Steve-O? Holly? Denise Richards?

Seriously? Both seasons have had similar competitors. Woz? Steve-O? Holly? Denise Richards?
    I completely agree that they have been similar competitors. And when I want to see spectacular dancing, I watch the pros dancing together on the results show! For me, most of the fun is watching the celebrities improve at something that is obviously difficult.
    Last edited by skaterbell; 10-23-2009 at 01:57 PM. Reason: spelling
    I always felt that the great high privilege, relief and comfort of friendship was that one had to explain nothing. ~ Katherine Mansfield

I haven't been watching this season very closely, but this evening, on the local news on the ABC affiliate they stated that this Monday, they are pushing DWTS to a late slot, in the wee hours, and will be showing the football game in prime time. I guess that's an indication of where the ratings are right now.

Just call me Grumpy!
    Quote Originally Posted by mom22gls View Post
    I haven't been watching this season very closely, but this evening, on the local news on the ABC affiliate they stated that this Monday, they are pushing DWTS to a late slot, in the wee hours, and will be showing the football game in prime time. I guess that's an indication of where the ratings are right now.
    I'm guessing that a local football (I assume NFL) team is involved here; given that Monday night NFL games are carried by ESPN, for such a game to be (also) shown on an affliliate usually means that it's being televised on a local channel in the city/metro area of the two teams involved, to accommodate those households that don't subscribe to ESPN--it has nothing to do with ratings. Now if you were to tell me that this happens on your ABC affiliate every Monday night during the regular NFL season when both football and DWTS are taking place at the same time--that's one thing...but next week I am willing to bet that DWTS will be shown on your ABC affiliate at its regular broadcast time once again.

Quote Originally Posted by tonytone View Post
    I'm guessing that a local football (I assume NFL) team is involved here; given that Monday night NFL games are carried by ESPN, for such a game to be (also) shown on an affliliate usually means that it's being televised on a local channel in the city/metro area of the two teams involved, to accommodate those households that don't subscribe to ESPN--it has nothing to do with ratings. Now if you were to tell me that this happens on your ABC affiliate every Monday night during the regular NFL season when both football and DWTS are taking place at the same time--that's one thing...but next week I am willing to bet that DWTS will be shown on your ABC affiliate at its regular broadcast time once again.
    Yeah, it is the local NFL team playing, and it's not a usual thing-I haven't checked to see if it's on ESPN (not being much of a football fan; but these games show up on numerous alternate channels, not just ESPN), but the whole attitude in the local media, not just sports coverage, is who cares about DWTS. I just don't recall them even shoving a show into a late time slot, especially when it's one that involves a limited window for voting.

DWTS easily wins the Monday night ratings averaging 16 million viewers per week - enough to make the Top 10. Even the Results shows average 12 million viewers putting it in the Top 20.

Like a grand and miraculous spaceship, our planet has sailed through the universe of time; and for a brief moment we have been among its many passengers.

I can tell you right now, the ratings for a LOCAL NFL team will be much higher than DWTS.

Since ESPN is owned by Disney, they offer the local rights to Monday night to the ABC affiliate first, and they always jump on it, as they can sell the local ad time at a MUCH higher rate than DWTS.

So since it is a rare occurrence, unfortunately the ABC station has to figure out what to do with the episode, as it needs to be aired before the Results show.

On the East coast, that is after the football game, the local news, and the required ABC late-night programming. (aka 2 in the morning)

On the West Coast, it is a bit easier, the football game ends between 8:30 and 9 PM usually, so they can air DWTS from 9 to 11 PM and then push the normal 10 PM drama show to 2 AM. (Doesn't help with the voting, but at least shown at a reasonable time).

But since it is a minor occurrence, ABC just keeps doing it own thing, though it might try something if one of the New York teams are playing.

Unhappy Well, that was definitely unexpected tonite!!

Was anyone else surprised that the couple with the fewest votes, that automatically went home, was Melissa and Mark, not Louie and Chelsie?? I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that L&C were going home automatically, especially since he dropped her so badly in their dance!!

I thought Melissa and Mark did way better than the other 2 couples. I think they were surprised at the result as well! But Melissa seems like a really good mom, so it'll be good she can be home with her hubby and kids again. I will miss the two of them dancing tho, since I really liked them both. They, actually SHE (since he's incredible!) wasn't the best dancer, but she was fun to watch.

Between the two in the dance-off, I then wasn't at all surprised that L&C lost it on that, since they weren't as good as Michael and Anna. I was surpised that their dance-off routines were only 30 seconds long and the judges wanted MORE CONTENT to them??!! How much more could you do in only 30 seconds!

I think this season didn't start off well, since they had so many couples this time out, the most ever, from what they said! If they would've started with about half, or 3/4's, as many, it would've made it much more interesting to watch, that is, if they would've started with the couples that were actually worth watching.

Karen W2

What do you all think of the new format, a dance off? I'm wondering if it is to protect the quality of the dances and get the judges more involved than just becoming a personality contest, or just something new added to help the ratings. I thought it brought a new quality to seeing how fast and good a dance they could come up with, while letting the judges save someone who wouldn't belong at the bottom. I was happy with the 3 couples in the bottom, but thought that Melissa was the best of those 3. I'm sad that Natalie went last week, she was a favorite of mine and a much better dancer than any of these 3. I hope Michael goes next, but with whom?

I think the two dance-offs are to prevent someone like Cloris Leachman for advancing too far in the contest, as it does take out the voters, and rely on just the judges.

As for so many couples, it allows ABC to have 2 hour episodes for a much longer time before switching to 90 minute shows...

Just call me Grumpy!

Somehow, I suspect that we'll be seeing Joanna/Derek in the final three; even though Mya/Dmitry have overall been the best performing couple so far this season, Joanna/Derek own the two highest judges' scores so far this season (34 and 36; Mya's highest is 33)...even given the fact that Mya has outscored Joanna in four of the six weeks shown so far, and has an overall higher average judges' score than Joanna in the individual dance performances.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that IMHO there is no doubt that, unless she falls completely flat on her face (figuratively speaking), Joanna will be in the final three for sure.

My final three prediction? Joanna/Derek, Mya/Dmitry, and Donny/Kym. Based on overall performance so far this season, Mya should win it...but I suspect it'll be a showdown between Joanna and Donny, with Joanna coming out on top primarily because IMHO Derek appears to be a better dance choreographer than Kym is (this is why Joanna won the Mambo marathon last week).

I agree, that has been my final three prediction since early on. As it gets closer to the finals the pro's choreography becomes more important, especially in the free-style. I believe this is why Tony and Stacy came in third and why Max has not finished well.

Unhappy Those double eliminations are killers!!

Boy, I'm starting to get tired of all the changing around they've been doing to the show this season! Is it just to get ratings?

I was really disappointed to see Mark and Lacey get eliminated tonite! I felt badly for Mark, having 3 different partners this week and the last one only having 2 days to learn new choreography with! I got online last night and gave them all of my votes and I never vote! I thought they did a really good job on their dance-off tonite, but sadly, Aaron and Karina were better.

I wasn't at all surprised that Anna and Michael were the bottom couple that didn't even get a chance to do a dance-off, they were just gone, like Melissa and Mark were last week.

Not counting Brooke Burke, is Joanna the model that has lasted the longest in the competitions up til now? It always seems like the models got knocked off fast in previous seasons, but she's still in there.

Not sure who I'm rooting for, now that Mark and Lacey are gone. They were my favorites!

Karen W2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenW2 View Post
    Boy, I'm starting to get tired of all the changing around they've been doing to the show this season! Is it just to get ratings?

(
    I really dislike they are learning three dances a week (the third being the one they may need in the dance off). I think it's too many and it's cutting into to the quality of the other two.

I don't care for the multiple group dances either. One a season is fun but every week? Not so much, for me anyway.
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

This season is just not doing it for me. I don't care about any of them. Donny is my teen heart-throb, so I'm rooting for him but while he's a great showman I don't think he's the best dancer.

I like the group dances because it shows the differences between the couples, but I hate, hate the dance off. It puts the power back into the judges hands instead of the voters. Bad idea, I think.

Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. ~~Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Maus View Post
    This season is just not doing it for me. I don't care about any of them. Donny is my teen heart-throb, so I'm rooting for him but while he's a great showman I don't think he's the best dancer.

I like the group dances because it shows the differences between the couples, but I hate, hate the dance off. It puts the power back into the judges hands instead of the voters. Bad idea, I think.
    THANK you! This is the first season I find I don't care if I see it or not. Ho hum! And I think you're right on with the dance off problem. I can see the concept of it but last week my son and I couldn't figure out why, in a television sense of viewing things, they let Mark go. It's obvious that viewers aren't VOTING for Aaron, why else to you get the top score and end up in the bottom three? Last week they saved Michael only to have him voted off this week. Aaron's gonna end up going soon too. It's a waste of time. And I don't like the "double" elimination either. Book fewer people and give the viewers back some say in it.

Just call me Grumpy!

The first 30 score of the season...go Mya and Dmitry!

Any thoughts regarding Derek's choreography for Monday's show...especially for that "futuristic" paso? Speaking of Derek--IMHO if it weren't for his choreography, Joanna would have been eliminated quite some time ago...

Finally--I dunno if it has been announced yet, but I believe Sabrina's "mystery" partner will be...

Mark Ballas

Smile Down to the "Final Four"!!

I wasn't at all surprised at Aaron & Karina's coming in last, last night. He may have done well on the last couple of dances, but he definitely did not have the popular vote, from viewers at home! I'm sure he appreciated the kind words from the judges, when they were eliminated.

LOVED the Paso with Sabrina and Mark! It was highly entertaining!! I really enjoy Mark's dancing and it was nice to see Sabrina dancing again. I wonder how long they practiced before performing the dance last night.

So, who doesn't think Mya and Dmitry will take the trophy this year?

Kelly has the popular vote, even if her dancing isn't that great, but I don't see them winning, especially since Mya's so much better.

I agree that the main thing that's keeping Joanna in the race is Derek and his great choreography! I tend to think he could make ANYONE look like a great dancer, if they followed his instruction. Most of the time, to me, Joanna looks like she's posing to the music and she's had several foot faults during the competition.

Donny and Kym?? Who knows, they've had some good dances and some not so good dances. He definitely has the popular vote from the viewing audience.

Has anyone else noticed how much Kym's eyes go crossed this season? I never noticed it before, but once I started noticing it this season, it's pretty constant. I thought their Atom Ant paso was very entertaining and was hoping it would've gotten the judge's vote, like Tom was requesting, but they chose Derek and Joanna instead.

Was anyone entertained by the Dance Centre stuff last night? I really don't care for Kenny Main (however he spells it) and a little definitely goes a long way for me!!

Karen W2