Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: No more free hat embroidery

WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR..... MKY4ME's Avatar

No more free hat embroidery

As of today, Sunday Aug 2, basic embroidery is now $3.

Last edited by MKY4ME; 08-02-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: fixed date
    You reach a point where you don't work for money.
    Walt Disney

AKA mrs motomickey

2. # ADS

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

Welll now our wedding favors are going to get just a little more expensive...

At least we only have to buy 12

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

I was just coming to post this. I am *really* unhappy about this. When Walt Disney World began charging for hat writing, I was assured by several merchandise management types (some of whom were laid off in the last round) that there were no plans for Disneyland to do the same. Then Disneyland raised the price of their ears by $2 so the price of a Disneyland hat with "free" embroidery was equal to the price of a Walt Disney World hat. Now they've tacked on another $3 fee.

With this latest increase, personalized black Mickey Mouse Ear hats have doubled in price in the past 4 years.

The "official" Disney Theme Park Store at disneyshopping.com is charging $4.95 for embroidery now. Embroidery was free there when they launched earlier this year. I haven't heard what, if anything, Walt Disney World has done to their pricing.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Loving my sweet pea.

ARG!!! I just bought baby a hat on Friday night. We decided to wait until he's actually born before getting it embroidered. Grr.... if I would have known about the price hike we would have just done it then.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AVP View Post
    Then Disneyland raised the price of their ears by $2 so the price of a Disneyland hat with "free" embroidery was equal to the price of a Walt Disney World hat. Now they've tacked on another $3 fee.

AVP
    I wonder if they are going to start charging for Train rides now.
    "That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Since DL is now charging to put a name on a hat, what is the chance they will put names on hats they sold but are not currently for sale? We have never bought ears at the character whse for two reasons, 1st they usually don't have any we like, and 2nd due to DL not able/willing to put writing on a hat that was not bought there because it was "free with purchase".

This is far worse than the $40 PAP increase in my opinion. This is just plain nickle and diming the guests.

Last edited by DisneylandDad; 08-02-2009 at 08:07 PM.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandDad View Post
    Since DL is now charging to put a name on a hat, what is the chance they will put names on hats they sold but are not currently for sale? We have never bought ears at the character whse for two reasons, 1st they usually don't have any we like, and 2nd due to DL not able to put writing on a hat that was not bought there because it was "free with purchase".

This is far worse than the $40 PAP increase in my opinion. This is just plain nickle and diming the guests.
    We got blank ears in gift baskets for the boys thru vacation planning and we were able to take them to the mad hatter to get the boys' names put on them....of course, no charge at the time...
    If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Since DL is now charging to put a name on a hat, what is the chance they will put names on hats they sold but are not currently for sale?
    The policy wasn't because the embroidery was free, it was because Disney won't embroider something they can't replace if/when the machine ruins it.

AVP

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

DL not able/willing to put writing on a hat that was not bought there because it was "free with purchase".
    Actually, the reason is that if something goes wrong with the machine, they can't replace the ears. So they probably still won't do it, even with the fee.

And things do go wrong. It just so happens the machine stalled the last 2 times I got ears. Apparently that double n in Jenny is tricky

Oh well it was just a thought. Maybe a way to stick it to the man! Or at least stick it back to the man.

Thank you both for responding so quick.

Bewaaare the grooove... bigrockstar's Avatar

My brother and I received those dream mouse ears with cloudy hat and silver ears a couple years ago (during the year(s) of a million dreams) and they would not embroider them. As others have said, it was because they could not replace them should the machines make a mistake.

Ok, why does she even HAVE that lever?"-Kuzco

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

so if I have to pay for embroidery I should be able to have a nickname on the hat. it's my money...

"[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Yeah, we were at the park this weekend and I finally made my own ears and found out that I could get pink "free" stitching and went ahead and put my name on the hat. Well the very next day my BFF went to get the free stitching on her daughters hat and was advised that it was no longer free.

I have seen a lot of price raises over the years, but this one is ridiculous especially since what I read in the park update about the prices matching Disney World with the "free" stitching, so actually we have been paying the additional fee for the ears anyway so now they're adding ANOTHER increase if we want it personalized.

It made me laugh when I read Churrogirls post: yeah really, are they gonna charge for train rides now too?

Before we know it, the toilets will be coin operated!

But, we love Disneyland and we keep going......

I couldn't agree more!

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by olegc View Post
    so if I have to pay for embroidery I should be able to have a nickname on the hat. it's my money...
    Nope. The charge is to put a proper name on the hat. Just because it's your money doesn't mean you can demand to put anything you want on it. You could always take it somewhere else where they might agree to put the nickname you want.
    Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR..... MKY4ME's Avatar

not happy either!

we were told yesterday morning before going on stage, it was very upsetting to all of us hat writers. trust that the front line CMs are as mad about this as the guests. I feel so baldy but there is nothing I can do about it. And no, there are still no nicknames allowed and no discount on embroidery.

Last edited by MKY4ME; 08-03-2009 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling error
    You reach a point where you don't work for money.
    Walt Disney

AKA mrs motomickey

Obsessive Disney Teen! DLANDLUVR's Avatar

not happy!!!!
    It's fun to do the Impossible
    A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes
    1313 S. Harbour Blvd completes me <3
    ....And really bad eggs....Drink up me hearties yo ho....!
    Halloween Party Oct. 28!!

Tower of Terror is the best

it seem like everything is gone to cost something. well at least you can get free water if you ask for it from the photo store.

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

Fun is wherever you find it... olegc's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    Nope. The charge is to put a proper name on the hat. Just because it's your money doesn't mean you can demand to put anything you want on it. You could always take it somewhere else where they might agree to put the nickname you want.
    i guess i need to use the rolling eyes or the wink more often. I'm not that naive...
    "[Disneyland] has that thing - the imagination, and the feeling of happy excitement - I knew when I was a kid." - Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by MKY4ME View Post
    As of today, Sunday Aug 2, basic embroidery is now $3.
    Indeed, this is bad policy. Putting a name on the hat was a great incentive to buy a hat. But now that the name costs extra, the incentive is not so great. It may lead to fewer people buying the hats at all.

Was mommyTo2Boys

I think if they would have just raised the hat prices $2, it would have sat better with the guests than this!

Formerly MommyTo2Boys1Girl
    Lori, Mommy to 4 Disney kids, Disneyland fanatic, annual pass holder

Let's see.
    Ticket prices up. check
    Hat embroidery charge. check
    Parking charge to go up soon. check
    MKY4ME, I think your siggy says it all. "Not in it for the Money,huh?"

"Gouging" is a four-letter word The Mouse Is Back's Avatar

Hmmm, let's do the math: $0.0001 worth of thread; 15 seconds to embroider the name.

For gawd's sake, people, can't you see how this hurts the bottom line?!?!?!?

Ally

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mouse Is Back View Post
    For gawd's sake, people, can't you see how this hurts the bottom line?!?!?!?
    You do have to consider the $4000+ machines, (there are at least 30 of them in the Resort) but I know the point you're trying to make.

Cast members tell me that other CMs and APs are the only people really complaining about this. Most day guests don't seem to notice or mind - the most common response to "what name do you want on your hat" is "how much does it cost?" and most guests are surprised that it's free. Beyond that, CMs tell me that sales of the $7 "premium" embroidery has actually increased. Getting someone to pay $7 just for a different thread color or font was a hard sell, but people seem to think "well, I'm already paying $3, why not $4 more..."

As much as many of us dislike this, unless day guests start complaining, or sales totally plunge, Disney isn't going to revert this policy.

AVP