Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

Gravity release me... tappenfeat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I'm glad you're smart enough not to mess with it!
    So much for resting it. I have 4 classes to teach tonight...2 to sub...I will try, try, try to take it easy!!!!

Stephanie

2. # ADS

Hope your knee is doing okay, Stephanie.

I finally started my early morning DVD series again this morning. All I've been doing the last two months is one cardio class a week (not enough and very stressful trying to get there on time and feed the family!), jogging once a week and taking the dogs every day (which doesn't count; it's good for me, but doesn't help much in the weight loss category). So finally (after a week or so of hitting snooze for 40 minutes...) I dragged my butt outta bed and went downstairs and 'just did it'. Hopefully I can keep it up. I really liked the cardio thing but I finally decided I didn't like it enough to be so stressed just thinking about how I would make it there, so I'm stopping it. I liked the yoga, too, but didn't love it (vs. the cardio which I had more fun at) and it's on hockey practice night so stopped going there about two months ago. I might still try to jog a little on the weekends if it's not too cold and snowy or icy, but we'll see. My feet have really been bothering me lately (bunions maybe?) and my hips, too. The DVD workouts are boring, but I wear shoes and they don't tend to hurt my hips or feet so much. ONly thing is the DVD eventually starts to skip and then it's frustrating, but a friend told me about a computer program that I can use to download to my computer and then title it however so I'll have a digital copy to use in the rec room.

Anyhow, just keep swimming!!!

“I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

Mousecanuck- glad the DVD is working for you for now. I just started at a new gym and it isn't really working for me yet. I think I just need to find a new routine and stick with it. My old gym had a set way of using all the machines and it would take me about 30 to 40 minutes depending on how long I spent stretching. This gym just has too many options, I find myself jumping around from weights to the treadmill to the eliptical. but I'm working on putting together my own routine and this gym has Kick class and a power class which I like, so hopefully in a few weeks I will have a routine and be happier. As you say "just keep swimming".

I'm trying to work it out so that I do the 'toning and strength' workout two or three times a week and the cardio the other days, while working in the elliptical and the bike here and there if I don't feel like doing the DVDs. Plus I hear there are some workout programs on TV early in the am, which would be nice to 'shake it up'. I just find if I set my mind to getting up early and getting a workout in, I do. If I leave it for later in the day, the 'day' usually wins and I either don't feel like it (mostly because I'm clean and don't want to get all sweaty, especially if I have other things to do after that). So over the summer, when I take my dogs for a walk early in the am (and they don't let me ignore them...hard to switch THEM to afternoon/evenings in winter!) I tend to not work out as much and then if there's a class, I do make it more. I do hate paying for expensive classes, though - and they often mess with dinner (not just for me, but for the rest of my crew!)

Good luck with your new gym! If you're a 'gym' person (read: disciplined), you'll figure it out and it'll all settle into a nice routine that works for you soon!!!

“I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

Definitely have to do the workout first thing, I'm like you if I say "oh, I'll go later" it never happens. Just came back from Power class which is toning and strength, so for the next few days I need to do some cardio.

PS. left you b-day wishes in the hearts thread but not sure if you head there much, so I will wish you Happy Birthday here as well. I hope the family is going to treat you to something special this weekend! 11-11-11 is pretty cool date , a friend of a friend's daughter is getting married today. She is hopeful that her future DH will remember the date.

Thank you - I hadn't seen the hearts thread (haven't even looked until now, today). So far a good day - went out early with DD to get Harry Potter DVD, then watched together (all of us) before she headed to work, then walking dogs & housework, made dinner, and now some down time before heading to a hockey game (WHL level - last level before NHL, so pretty good hockey) with both kids and one friend each. Got an 'Imagineering' book that's FULL of history and such and I can hardly wait until I have lots of time to sit and go through it all, every last detail!. No workout today, but tomorrow for sure!!!

Thanks again for the wish!

And we do!!!

Blog Entries

I am very happy being in yoga class. Working with an instructor means I work harder. I love it so much I asked him to teach at my house (everyone in the class drives over from where I work anyway; it just seems sensible).

But...last week I spent three days wondering how I got the same weird bruises on both upper arms before I realized it happened in class. After last night's class, I have a huge welt on my thigh AND I figured out an hour ago the radiating pain in my side is the resulting of aggrevating an old rib muscle tear. Grr. I always aggrevate it when we do twists in class. I feel like I'm paying attention to my body but I guess I'm not a very good listener. :0

On the plus side, I put on my old sweat pants today, the pair that don't fit but I'm not ready to give away (I paid full price on them!), and they fit!

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

LOVE it, when things that didn't used to fit, fit now!!! Good on you!!! Keep it up, but apparently go easy on some parts, hey?

I did really well early in the week, but then some of the 'Black Friday' sales crept into Canada and I left extra early and hit the shops on the way to work (scored a bit, worthwhile, but not power shopping or anything quite yet!) so I didn't do my workouts. However, I'm still taking the mutts, and Thursday also did half the paper route at high speed with DS, so it's not like I've been sitting around. It's been pretty busy this week, next week I can re-focus on getting my workouts done in the early am with no early morning shopping! Plus if I'm busy, I don't tend to munch as much. Holy moly it's late - time to get to bed already!!!

And we do!!!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've totally fallen off the regular exercise bandwagon. So I've made a committment to myself to do 12 days of exercising between now and Christmas! It's not an excessive number, so I am not overshooting - but it's enough that I will be able to hit the ground running a little faster after the holiday.

Cathy

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

At the suggestion of a friend, I started doing Hot Yoga.

WOW! I thought she was insane everytime she would talk about it. Why would someone in their right mind want to go into a room preset to 120 degrees and do yoga!?

The first time I did it I kept thinking I would never do it again! It was hard and hot and really smelly. But on my way home something in my brain clicked, I got it!

I have had 7 classes now since last Sunday and entered in a 60 classes in 60 days challenge! 7 down 53 to go!
    The changes in my body and mind in the last week were unexpected. I feel so much more calm, relaxed and confident.

This journey is going to be tough but I am ready to move forward!

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Quote Originally Posted by ChurroGirl View Post
    At the suggestion of a friend, I started doing Hot Yoga.

WOW! I thought she was insane everytime she would talk about it. Why would someone in their right mind want to go into a room preset to 120 degrees and do yoga!?

The first time I did it I kept thinking I would never do it again! It was hard and hot and really smelly. But on my way home something in my brain clicked, I got it!

I have had 7 classes now since last Sunday and entered in a 60 classes in 60 days challenge! 7 down 53 to go!
    The changes in my body and mind in the last week were unexpected. I feel so much more calm, relaxed and confident.

This journey is going to be tough but I am ready to move forward!
    Great job! I don't know if I could do that. Hot, stagnant air really bothers my asthma. One of the main reasons I haven't tried it. I really want to get back into yoga and pilates. I took them several years ago through our junior college and loved them both. It hasn't worked into my schedule very well the last few years, but now that the kids are older I may have to try making it work.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by 3Princesses1Prince View Post
    Great job! I don't know if I could do that. Hot, stagnant air really bothers my asthma. One of the main reasons I haven't tried it. I really want to get back into yoga and pilates. I took them several years ago through our junior college and loved them both. It hasn't worked into my schedule very well the last few years, but now that the kids are older I may have to try making it work.
    One of the main health benefits they always talk about is how it actually helps people with asthma. The room isn't stagnant they filter it and have humidifiers going most of time.

I would say find a place give it a try and go from there. Don't be afraid though! I was terrified at first but you can't be afraid of what you don't know. You have to trust your body and just do it.
    I know it sounds easier said than done, but once you do it and say that little apology to yourself for being scared you will feel amazing!
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChurroGirl View Post
    One of the main health benefits they always talk about is how it actually helps people with asthma. The room isn't stagnant they filter it and have humidifiers going most of time.
    What do they keep the relative humidity at?
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I'd like to know too. My type of asthma isn't helped by humidity, it can actually make it worse. DH's asthma is helped by humidity.
    Shannon
    Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Prince
    Miss M(16), J(13) and R(10), and Mr. N(9)

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I believe ours is usually set anywhere from 30 to 80 percent. It is hot and you are melting but you have to move past the heat mentally before you can over come it.

Blog Entries

30-80% if a real range. The heat index of 120F at those humidities is about 150F to 280F.

How long does the class last?

ETA: Just looked up Bikram Yoga on Wikipedia (yes, I know, not the most reliable source) and they say "Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105F (≈ 40.6C) with a humidity of 40%"

105 vs 120 is a HUGE difference.

Cathy

I can't believe this thread is still open!

I have been totally unmotivated to lose weight for about *cough* the last 7 years! Before that, I was doing pretty good. In 2003 I lost about 40 pounds at a reasonable 1-2 pounds per week simply by counting calories and keeping an excel chart of everything I ate with the caloric information. I helped that I more or less lived with my laptop so it was always available to record what I was eating. I've tried the excel method a few times since then, but it is a lot harder now that I use multiple computers throughout the day.

About 6 months ago I switched a medication and I don't know if it is because of the change or simply due to poor eating habits, but I gained enough weight that I once again reached a mental breaking point. So I went online for a better way to count calories and found http://www.myfitnesspal.com. You tell it how much you weigh and how much you want to lose and they provide a recommendation for how many calories to eat. In the advanced settings you can tweak the calories and the percentage of calories from carbs/protein/fat. They also have a mobile version where you can scan the barcode of food and most of the time it comes up with the correct nutrition information so all you have to do is tell it how much you are eating.

Scanning barcodes is fun

I haven't been using it long enough to share any fabulous long-term stories but if I can keep this up for the next year I will be very, very happy!

There is also pretty cool program from the US Dept of Health and Human Services that tells you what your weight will be if you cut your caloric intake and/or increase your exercise. It also gives a high/medium/and low value for the weights. So far, their weight predictions have been frighteningly/encouragingly accurate.

I also hope to add exercise shortly. I'm considering a couch 2 5k program but haven't made any final decisions.

Blog Entries

My suggestion this week is to buy way too many green vegetables and then commit to not letting them go to waste.

I've eaten so many greens this week I think my skin is a bit green! Despite having eaten an entire pound and a half of butter/cream laden Colcannon, I still lost three pounds. And I'm happy to say I've just got a little Tatsoi to polish off.

I do like my vegetables in general but it's awfully easy to see the difference in my body when I'm eating "some" versus eating the recommended daily allowance or even more.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Wish Upon A Star Mommy2NicknMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by currence View Post
    I can't believe this thread is still open!

I have been totally unmotivated to lose weight for about *cough* the last 7 years! Before that, I was doing pretty good. In 2003 I lost about 40 pounds at a reasonable 1-2 pounds per week simply by counting calories and keeping an excel chart of everything I ate with the caloric information. I helped that I more or less lived with my laptop so it was always available to record what I was eating. I've tried the excel method a few times since then, but it is a lot harder now that I use multiple computers throughout the day.

About 6 months ago I switched a medication and I don't know if it is because of the change or simply due to poor eating habits, but I gained enough weight that I once again reached a mental breaking point. So I went online for a better way to count calories and found http://www.myfitnesspal.com. You tell it how much you weigh and how much you want to lose and they provide a recommendation for how many calories to eat. In the advanced settings you can tweak the calories and the percentage of calories from carbs/protein/fat. They also have a mobile version where you can scan the barcode of food and most of the time it comes up with the correct nutrition information so all you have to do is tell it how much you are eating.

Scanning barcodes is fun

I haven't been using it long enough to share any fabulous long-term stories but if I can keep this up for the next year I will be very, very happy!

There is also pretty cool program from the US Dept of Health and Human Services that tells you what your weight will be if you cut your caloric intake and/or increase your exercise. It also gives a high/medium/and low value for the weights. So far, their weight predictions have been frighteningly/encouragingly accurate.

I also hope to add exercise shortly. I'm considering a couch 2 5k program but haven't made any final decisions.
    Awesome job getting back at it! I have been using myfitnesspal.com for the past year now. I reached my weight goal back in Nov 11 but kept on logging to stay accountable and maintain my weight. I love it! C25K is a great program, best of luck if you decide to use that one or with whatever you decide to do. If you'd like to add me as a friend on myfitnesspal, I'm DisneyMommy over there.