Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Step one for me would be not buying the chips at all. If it's not in the house, it's not available to be eaten. Substitute healthier alternatives if you need to snack, like a piece of fruit, or some carrots dipped in hummus.
    I know I should not have chips but they are my comfort food. I love chips, left over meat, and goat milk or diet soda for breakfast. I have never been a fruit eater but am working on that. It is a long road of changing behaviors passed on to me by two women who loved sweets, pastries, and candy. I know I should change but my philosophy about dieting is to change slowly. I am eating squash and carrots, small steps. For me I need small changes and portion control.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post

This sounds like me the past few months. Right down to the lazy butt! I am using the support of Weight Watchers as the weekly reminder of my new healthy approach. Once I"m Lifetime, I can just go there every week for free. And since it's at work, it's right down-stairs, so easy to get to.

That's great that your meetings are at work!!!

I was on vacation for 2 weeks and went to the gym for the first time in 3 weeks last night. Felt soooooo good!

Thumbs up

Congrats on your accomplishment, rentayenta!

I feel the same way about working out. I start to feel off if I haven't done something like go for a run or spin class in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    Congrats on your accomplishment, rentayenta!

I feel the same way about working out. I start to feel off if I haven't done something like go for a run or spin class in a couple of days.

Thanks Steph! It's amazing how gushy I feel even after a couple of weeks without moving. "Off" is a great description!

I feel off if I haven't done something active for a few days. I feel bad physically and mentally. I guess it's the endorphins. Because it sure doesn't feel good when you're doing it!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post
    I just finished the Special K 2 Week Challenge in order to get myself into the right mindset. I did lose the 6 pounds they advertsise, but I don't think I will be eating Special K for awhile haha My goal is another 15 pounds.
    I felt the same way after the Special K.

I've also started the Biggest Loser Boot Camp workout DVD and I really like it.
    Hm. That may be a video to look into. Is it progressive or just one workout?

I like my Wii fit because I can change it up each day but it's just not enough of a workout. It's more to keep toned.

I'm trying to work on that by only allowing myself to sit for 30 minutes at a time, after 30 minutes I have to get up and do SOMETHING.
    That's my problem too. I get comfortable and don't feel like exercising. But, anyone can tell you, I cannot sit for 30 minutes. I'll get up and walk down the hall and do something for 30 seconds. I'm a very wiggly person.

I am now at the point that if I have NOTHING to do. (I lose interest in TV and my computer and finish my books fairly quickly). That I need to do something else. I force myself to do yard work, vacuum, clean something, play on my Wii. It stops me from just sitting and clicking around on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    When all the people around you are fat it is impossible to lose weight.

I am seriously considering giving up. Help!!!
    I understand what you are going through. When no one else cares it's hard to make yourself care. You really do have to list (I made a physical list) about why you are trying to lose the weight. I also have "my food". I don't feel selfish about it because it's for me and it's not like I don't buy them groceries too.
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

Blog Entries

I have started exercising when I get home from work because let's face it, mornings are just not going to happen.

Can someone remind me when I will feel the exciting surge of activity and be ready to face the world energized and charged?

Right now I just feel a little sore and tired. This is not how it was the last time exercised in the evenings!

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I have started exercising when I get home from work because let's face it, mornings are just not going to happen.

Can someone remind me when I will feel the exciting surge of activity and be ready to face the world energized and charged?

Right now I just feel a little sore and tired. This is not how it was the last time exercised in the evenings!
    I always feel better the day after a great workout, and then start to feel a malaise after going 4 days without a workout. I don't know that I would call it an exciting surge of activity, but I will say consistency in exercise does lead to more energy and endurance.

My first workouts after I couldn't go for a long time (surgery, etc) were lame but I think I still felt better the next day, because I was going to the gym and putting my body in its proper place. My body does what I tell it to, darn it, not the other way around! (except, um, when pregnant, or with injured back, or knees, or with a migraine, or the flu....)

Exercise helps with the energy level but weight loss is about food intake and calorie burn. Good luck with the energy level!

Blog Entries

Right now I am mainly looking for better energy and sleep. A little muscle tone wouldn't hurt. But weight loss isn't the primary goal. A few pounds off won't hurt and I imagine I'll get that but that's really not why I'm doing it. I just figured this would be the best thread right now for a good response.

Thanks!

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Be careful of working out too late, if you're looking for sleep.
    Generally, I have to do heavy aerobic activity to get that good tired feeling, that translates into energy the next day.

Also, you need to be 'fueled' before you work out, which is often a problem if you're doing your exercise right after work. I'm just now getting into the working out groove, and I'll have a high-protein heavy snack about 4-4:30 when I'm going to work out at 5:30-6 (I maybe could go a little later, but it's also about staving off the desire for a sugary snack for me).

I'll have a 'serving' of almonds, string cheese, and greek yogurt - or 2 of the 3. I find it helps me have the steam to get through a water aerobics class, or other workout. The water aerobics REALLY gives me that good all-over body tired that helps with sleep.

Also, if I have a heavier snack before working out, I don't need as big of a dinner AFTER working out. Eating too much too late also isn't good for sleep habits.

Cathy

Blog Entries

I'm doing all the right things in terms of eating and timing (I'm pretty particular about my sleep "hygiene" because I have trouble sleeping).

I have the sense I'm just getting old and stiff. :0 Hopefully the stiffness will pass as I get back into the groove and my energy levels will improve. Then I'll just be old!

Blog Entries

Oh, and if anyone is looking for exercise incentive, book a cruise then try on your old bathing suit in a full length mirror.

I've decided I need a little more muscle tone than previously thought.

Blog Entries
    try on your old bathing suit in a full length mirror.
    I may be old, but I'm smarter than to try to do something like that!

The very upper part of my calf muscles have been sore for a couple of days, but everything else still feels ok!

Tonight is water aerobics and tomorrow night is a combo of aerobic machines (about 40 minutes) and weight circuit of 1/2 dozen machines.

This trying to get back in the groove is 'for the birds' but I KNOW it will be better and I really do want to drop some pounds, and hopefully do another 1/2 marathon next February.
    Cathy

I've had a lot of luck with feeling good by eating rolled oats, made with water, often. I have a mug full for breakfast and a mug for lunch, then a regular 'healthy' dinner of fish or chicken. I tried staying away from carbs before, but it makes my mind foggy.

I also sit on an exercise ball at my desk instead of a cushy chair. It was awkward at first, but now my core is much stronger and I've had no back pain!

Happily ever after

Jonesing for the next Disney Cruise! LauraGar's Avatar
    I focus on eating five fresh fruits and veggies a day--first.
    Hi Bennette, I really like the idea about the five and five, but I'm having an issue finding the 5/5 that are portable.

I can get the five fruits together including dried but the veggies are hard.

Kicker, I hate carrots, but LOVE carrot cake.

May I have a few suggestion you use?
    "If you can't dream it, you can't see it." Walt Disney

Blog Entries

How portable do you want them to be?

Salads of many types are a great way to get in a few servings of veggies. One of my fav's is cucumber, tomato, onion (I like onions), mushrooms into decent size chunks, add some feta crumbles for protein, and vinegarette dressing. You could add bell peppers or any other veggie you like. If I'm feeling REALLY decadent, I'll use some artichoke hearts (NOT in oil) or avocado, too.

Sometimes I'll make that a pasta salad by adding in some whole wheat penne or corkscrew pasta (I forget the 'real' name) (Whole wheat ups the fiber, helping you feel fuller longer - some of the whole wheats have added protein as well).

Cathy

I like red bell pepper or cucumber with hummus for dipping. That's one of my main vegetable sources for lunches. Both hold up well on the go. In the summer I love snacking on raw green beans, but I know some people think that's gross.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraGar View Post
    Hi Bennette, I really like the idea about the five and five, but I'm having an issue finding the 5/5 that are portable.

May I have a few suggestion you use?
    Hmm. I'm not so portable in my food. Our dinners usually incorporate multiple vegetables or are primarily focused on vegetables.

But I do like the dip approach. Vegetables I like include strips of bell peppers; steamed and blanched green beans, broccoli, snap or sugar peas; very thinly sliced fennel; kohlrabi; turnips; radishes if they are not too hot.

I like thinly sliced zucchini but I know not everyone does. I'm not a big fan of grocery store tomatoes but I think those grape or cherry ones can be pretty good most of the time. I love the little Persian cucumbers but they don't provide the biggest nutritional bang for the buck so I want to be sure there is something else in the mix. Ditto for celery.

If you can make a bean-based spread (hummus is an easy one but I have plenty of other recipes for spreads based on white beans and such), you've added another one in there.

Salads can be really easy if you have some decent lettuce and interesting greens. If I'm doing a simple salad I usually grate in a little carrot (sorry!), a little zucchini, whatever else I have, and a little frozen sweet corn and put them on whatever greens I have that look good. (Not too much corn if you are worried about calories but.)

Marinated mushrooms are easy to make and last several days. Ditto for onions.

I think everyone that knows me knows I eat a lot of beans. Leftovers of beans and greens dinners are probably the lunch I take to work most often. Sometimes is just the beans and greens, sometimes they are in a soup I've made.

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but I find eating vegetables MUCH easier if they taste good. Buying our produce from our local, certified farmer's market has really upped our intake of vegetables. If you don't have a good farmer's market around, a CSA might be another option. Those are becoming more available.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions.

Portable meaning "in a ziplock or container".

I like next day steamed veggies cold from the fridge.

It all in the planning and prep work.

Blog Entries
    That is so right, I just had to repeat it.

You can't 'eat right' if you don't have good food around!

(And conversely, you can't eat junk if you don't have it available!)
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post

You can't 'eat right' if you don't have good food around!

(And conversely, you can't eat junk if you don't have it available!)
    This.

I don't buy potato chips. Why? Because we eat them like crazy if we do. Do we particularly miss them when they're gone? Nope. I don't buy chocolate. Why? Because when it's 10:00 pm and I'm munchie that's what I automatically want. Do I sometimes curse my chocolate-less pantry? Yup. But I'm always pretty glad it's not in there. You just have to remove the opportunity. We don't say no when we're places with treats--we just eat reasonable amounts and don't keep it at home on a day-to-day basis.

Look around where you are for produce co-ops like www.bountifulbaskets.org. We get tons of fresh fruit/veggies every week and they're just calling to be eaten. Today my lunch has an apple, a peach and a cucumber. There will be corn and salad at home. We eat it because it's there!
    Keep Moving Forward!

Blog Entries

Portable meaning "in a ziplock or container".

<snip>

You said it. I like planning food and the shopping isn't too bad but I find the prep work at little exhausting some weeks.

Our farmer's market is Saturday mornings. Friday night I usually clean out the produce drawer. Food that is still good gets highlighted for an upcoming meal. Other items go into my freezer container of stock fixings if appropriate, otherwise the compost heap.

When we get home from the market, things get cleaned, prepped to some extent, and generally put away. I usually cook beans over the weekend if they are on that week's menu. I probably make stock every six to eight weekswhenever we've had a chicken usually. Neither of these require much oversight but I do have to be home. Homemade stock rocks and is totally worth your time.

I'm not really good with on the spot meals. If I don't have stuff prepped and an idea of a meal, it probably won't happen when I am home.

This is probably the easiest meal I make and it's good as leftovers. You can find even easier versions and I used canned tomatoes in it on a regular basis.

If you aren't bread averse (and I am not), a bread salad with tomatoes and onions is actually very portable. You just wait until you are ready to eat to add the bread. There are a million bread salad or panzanella recipes on the web--many of them use multiple/different vegetables. There are bread salads in many cultures, it's an issue of finding the one you like.

This is my favorite soup in all the world and it's quite good for you, even though the vegetables don't sound very exciting. Its quality rests on good vegetables and a decent chicken stock. I don't necessarily bother with pancetta; I will use a little good quality ham if that's what I have in the freezer. (I keep chopped ham, pancetta, and bacon in the freezer to have on hand for flavoring vegetable dishes in small quantities.) I make it with whatever fresh bean I can find (summer/early fall is fresh bean season) but a good cooked dry bean is fine as well. (Ranchogordo.com; it will change your life). Even a canned bean would be fine, if the quality was there. (You can sub a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes for plum tomatoes.) Don't skip the fennel! It adds depth.

WOW, thanks for the ideas.

I would LOVE a no crap kitchen, but I share with people who crap.

Cookies, candy, and ice cream is always there. I need to go to the healthy stuff, and the 5/5 is a perfect plan to start with.

popcorn lots and lots of popcorn. I'm a muncher so if there is a little pocorn or sunflower seeds in the shell, I'm better off.

other wise I go into the sreach for sweet stuff i can't have mode.

i hate veggies so I have a hard time with that. I eat them all raw if you cookit I won't eat it.

So I have a sbap lid box with a little "dip" of peanut butter or ranch in it . That way I eat my celery, sugar peas!

I think it takes a while to get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Be careful of working out too late, if you're looking for sleep.
    I like to work out right before I sleep because it officially wears me out and I can go to sleep easier but I know it winds some people up.

I'm on week 4 of my running routine, and for an asthmatic during summer with no health insurance, I feel like I'm playing a game of chance. However, I've been being careful and building it up rather than just wearing myself down. I'm even wearing my ankle braces each time too! My goal is just to be able to run a solid length of time at a good speed, so I've been building both speed and endurance. I'm up to running 3 min. 30 sec., then walk 3 min. 30 sec.
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM