Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

A year after my second son was born, I had a lot of baby fat to lose. I did Jay Robb's Fat Burning diet, which was high protein/ low carbs. I did pretty well with it. I drank protein shakes that didn't taste all that great. But it worked.

It seems there are so many diet crazes these days, and some are downright unhealthy.

I am trying to eat better, add more fruits and veggies into my day, and cutting out carbs when on the rare occasion I have will power. I really don't want to do the protein shakes again. They are costly. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I take daily walks for exercise- asthma gets me, so I don't do anything too strenuous.

I tried Weight Watchers. (Didn't attend meetings, but got lots of books, and point stuff from friends.) I found myself thinking about food all the time, and it just was not working for me.

What works for you?

See what my son made for me?

2. # ADS

You might give weight watcher another try, the meetings really do help. I'm not sure how long ago you tried them but some of their programs have changed . You are right about thinking about food all the time though counting points is a chore at times. I can happily report that I did lose 33 lbs with them 10 years ago. I have kept most of the weight off and I have found that portion size/control is the best habit I learned from them. Good Luck.

Lisa
    He was something to observe, Came in close I heard a voice. Standing stretching every nerve, Had to listen had no choice. I did not believe the information, I just had to trust imagination. My heart going boom boom boom
    "Son" he said "Grab your things I've come to take you home."

I've changed my lifestyle from when I was heavier. I don't eat out as much. Cook my own food, eat less, snack less, and exercise more. I followed Weight Watchers to give me a structure to follow at first, but have found it doesn't really fit well with my more active/running life, so now I'm just trying to focus on eating food to fuel my body.

Blog Entries

Um, okay, I have actually been freakishly thin most of my life due to health issues but things finally normed out and I have to keep an eye on things now.

To be honest, the same things I did trying to get well and to a healthy full weight work to keep me well now. I don't diet. I do have to work harder to exercise now than I used to because I moved away from my yoga teacher and she helped me keep my focus.

Anyway, foodwise...

I focus on eating five fresh fruits and veggies a day--first. If I do that, the rest is not so hard because I'm not as hungry.

I would never completely give up anything because I don't think it works. And I don't think most "diets" are all that healthy in the long run. I've a big believer in moderation in all things.

I try to consider what I'm eating. If I'm going to eat a dessert, for example, I'm not going to waste my calories on something mass produced and full of weird ingredients. But I won't hesitate to eat something truly homemade or well crafted. And I don't usually butter my bread. I'd rather have good bread without butter than cut out the carbs!

I don't eat much meat; we didn't grow up with it (too poor!). When I do eat it, I make sure it's quality and a little goes a long way. We also tend to use it more as a seasoning than a main dish.

I stay away from heavily processed foods as much as I can. I am the world's laziest person when it comes to preparing foods but there is just too much salt/corn syrup/whatever in that stuff.

I pay for quality basic ingredients (dairy, pasta, olive oil, meat, vegetables) and the meals work out. One of my favorite meals is pasta with olive oil, Spanish tuna, lemon, capers, and arugula. A little parmesan on top. Takes fifteen minutes. But the pasta is top notch and so are the tuna, oil, and parmesan. I don't need much of any of it to feel extremely satisfied.

And honestly, think about the calories less and enjoying, really enjoying, your eating experience more. Americans obsess about calories and diet but don't seem to get any thinner.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

I have been fighting my weightloss for sometime now but for me I finally figured somehitng out.

I let myself eat whatever I want! Now I dont eat bad, mostly cereal as it is but:

If I want a cookie, I eat one, but just one and share the rest!
    If I want a cheeseburger, I get one, but cut it in half when I get home and share the rest!

When it comes to exercise I will not lie, I use Barry's Bootcamp! I dont follow the nutrition plan or anything but the workout is great! It is only 49$ at Target and it comes with the DVD's and the transformer(the body pod/exercise ball)
    Easy to follow, they have a beginners level you can do thats not so strenuous and you only do each exercise for a minute. The Main workout is 21 min with a 3 min warm up and cool down at the end.
    It has Missions or sub workouts for 12 min. but has no warm up and a quick stretch for cool down
    We, FDH and I, use the DVD's 4 times a week and 3 times a week we go to the gym for a run on the treadmill and get on the elliptical.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

You don't say how much you have to lose and I'm not gonna ask because that's rude. I'm going to tell you the most motivating thing that ever got me to lose weight...

Ann.Taylor.Loft.

I dropped a lot of weight with that goal in mind.

I couldn't shop there comfortably. Have you seen their clothes? OMG tooooo cuuuuute!! And they have SALES. They're rather affordable. And OMG SO CUTE. And they have a Petite department (which is a big deal for me. I buy petite pants but I can wear regular shirts and usually regular sized dresses.)

My problem now is that I'm sort of stalled. I can fit into ATL clothes and that's good enough. I'm not gaining weight but I'm in a holding pattern. But I find that the problem is me not my program. I'm just not motivated right now. And it doesn't matter what program I'm using, that's going to happen.

I've been successful, when I've been motivated, with Weight Watchers. But I just need to stop and take a break and not pretend for awhile. And survive the DLR Half.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Mrs G I hear you!

I'm back to getting some weight off too. 5'3 and 150 is not so good.

I looked at what I was doing to figure out just WHAT I was eating that was putting on LBS!

1.. I have issues with processed sugars(mostly beet corn) so I went back to my sugar free snacks.
    2.. I throw out the kids left over food. Not Here mommy finish my ice cream I'm full, so you think I just spent all that money I'm not letting that go to waste!
    And THAT is how I went from 130 to 165!
    Now I toss out the food! NO eating it!

Now I'm back down to 150.
    When we go to fast food as a treat, I order the fruit salad, if a small hamburger, ditched the fries. Not 2 cheese burgers and frys!

the weddings didn't help all I ate was food I could hold while still decorating something. And that was fatty highly processed foods. Now I bring a lunch and take the 15 mins to eat it!

Now I have gone cold turkey for a week without the DT coke, so no heart burn and headaches now. But If I do crave one I get the tiny bottles of Dt coke drink 1 then I'm done with it!

CG is right don't deny yourself the snack just make is Smaller!

Now my goal is to get the weight bench back in the house and warp the wrist and knee and start back to lifting weights. very small ones then higher reps.

I weight lifted for YRS (11yr old till 29)(then 30-36) and I was thiner and in shape!

Now I wiggle way to much when I walk! So back to work for me.

MY BFF she listens to motivation tapes while she sleeps and she goes for a walk every day, and just ate the same but smaller amounts. She LOOKS great! lost 57lbs! She is on me to get going too!

I agree with make fresh foods, grab a yogurt or grapes before the cookie.
    I love to use grape seed oil for dressings and pastas. Helps with the heart.

Bennette is right if you get really good ingred. that taste so good then you don't think you are denying yourself anything.

it's the getting motivated part that Is really hard!

Good luck!

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I have two goals for my weight, first is maintaining the current weight and second to loose weight. Today I was 286 pound and I am so happy because that is way below my top weight this year and despite a lot of binging this month.

For me it is taking daily thyroid medicine, exercise especially at the parks, and avoiding allergen related foods like cheese, ice cream, butter, and eggs. It is the motivation to get moving with home chores and to go to the parks. All it takes is 10 calories a day extra exercise to lose a pound a year or 10 calories of cookies a day to gain a pound a year.

Instead of worrying about how many calories I take in or put out I am more into good experiences. A day in the parks gives me more motivation than worrying how many calories are burned. Last night I walked about 6 blocks in Downtown Disney. Not much to you maybe but to me that is very far. Motivation is the key to weight loss and and maintenance. Fi you told me to walk 6 blocks I would laugh and say NO but it was fun in Downtown Disney so I was motivated to walk.

Because of mom I am on a lite salt, low fat, no HFCS, no MSG, and as natural as possible diet. We have juice, a carton of ice cream, some mints, her cookies, cornbread, nut bread, frosting free carrot cake, and her wheat thins and Pringles. Not much snack foods or desserts in our house. I buy chips in single serving containers and rarely. My problem is not intake but exercise.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not the poster child for weight loss. It's been a lifelong battle, fueled by twin issues of a medical condition and an unreasonable fondness for fast food.

I've done WW several times; each attempt has worked long of enough for me to drop 10% of my body weight, by which time I am So. Done. with counting calories/exchanges/points that I fall off the wagon and into the nearest vat of Ben & Jerrys. But I do feel that I need a structure of some form, so it's a catch 22.

A few months ago my doctor, in an effort to diagnose yet another medical issue, put me on the most severe diet I've ever dealt with. This wasn't weight related, it was all about eliminating suspected allergens. My list of off-limits foods was extensive:

Yeast
    Vinegars
    Sugars, including honey
    Mushrooms / fungus
    Cheese
    White flour, white rice
    Chocolate
    Grapes, cantaloupe
    Fruit juice, except lemon
    Processed meats (hot dogs; anything with nitrates)
    Peanuts

I was allowed whole-grain anything (so long as it did not contain yeast), fresh whole fruits, fresh (not canned) veggies and lean meats.

I thought I was going to die the first week.

I developed an intense craving for breakfast cereal - something I just don't eat - and was pretty much in tears at the grocery store when I realized that they don't MAKE yeast-free cereal. (It turns out that yes, they do, but it's very hard to find in a traditional grocery store). Finding food - any processed food - without yeast, sugar or vinegar is equally challenging. They put yeast in things you would NEVER believe if you weren't looking for it.

Tony and I - who ate out all the time - suddenly had to start cooking nearly every meal at home. I developed a few staple recipies for breakfast (cereal) and lunch (chicken breast, hummus and salad greens in a yeast-free wrap), and we experimented at dinner. We found a lot of really great recipies, and had a lot of fun with it, but it was SO HARD to not be able to eat like a "normal" person. To just go do a restaurant and order anything I wanted. To pop through a drive-thru when I wanted a snack, instead of having to plan ahead and pack food. The small handful of times we went out were just not worth the effort - I felt like I was having to play "Lets Make a Deal" with the chef to get a meal I could eat, and the resulting meal was usually regrettable.

But I lost weight. A surprising amount of weight, actually, and I felt much better than I have in years. It reminded me of my experience returning home from Europe after a long vacation - processed American food made me ill for the first few weeks.

I'm off the diet now (but waiting for some blood tests to come back to see if I have to do another round), and I've gained almost all of that weight back since I've returned to my "normal" eating habits. I've also noticed that I eat more food to feel "satisfied" than I did when I was on such a restricted diet, and that I'm really not enjoying the "forbidden" foods as much as I thought I would when I couldn't have them. The whole "empty calorie" thing is definitely true in my case.

As much as it's going to drive Tony crazy, I've decided I'm going back on "The Diet" once we get unpacked in the new house and have a kitchen to cook in again - at least for the meals I eat alone. There's nothing unsafe about that food plan, and it really did help me to feel so much better.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Blog Entries

Uck. Those restricted diets totally suck. Sorry. (No cheese! that's inhumane!)

I remember the diet that left me with only beige foods; no seasoning.

The last diet, after being exposed to a toxin and going to the ER, was something like rice, wheat pretzels, honey, and fennel tea for nine weeks. No fruits, no uncooked vegetables, no whole grains (huh?). I thought I was gonna die. I was so excited to have a TMI colonoscopy so I could get okayed for real food again. How pitiful is that? I did lose weight but it was not good in any way.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

I am not overweight, but I have been, and I walk a fine line with it, according to the stupid BMI. I have unfortunate genes. Everyone in my family struggles with this. We can put on 10 lbs in 2 weeks if we don't watch it.

Working out and calorie counting is what works for me. At first, I would write down everything I ate and how many calories were in it. This helped me to understand how many calories different foods had in them. Now I can eye it and guess pretty well.

I try and stay at about 1400 calories a day on the weekdays, and on the weekends I give myself a cheat day, sometimes two. This seems to work for maintaining my weight. If I'm trying to lose weight, I normally have to lose the cheat day.

And the worst part of all is the 4 day per week workouts. 45 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weights. I. Hate. Working. Out. I've never understood the people who say they love it, that it's addictive, yada yada yada... I hate it. To each their own I guess, but I think they're crazy.

I am obese according to my BMI but according to the calipers test I'm just overweight. I prefer calipers. Mainly because my siblings and I have been described as "looking like we are trying out for football linemen positions". We are a sturdy people. Hehe. We all take after our father. No matter how thin I get I will never be able to wear smaller than an XL in women's simply because my shoulders don't fit!!!

The low-carb diet works for me. Why? Because I can generally eat as much as I want but it all has to be protein. With no protein in my diet (meaning meat or eggs) I am NOT a happy person. I get seriously angry, it's like the Hulk. And then my mom or siblings will ask "Have you eaten protein today?". Then it will occur to me that no I haven't and that the reason I am acting horribly is because of the lack of protein.

I will occasionally switch to a low calorie diet to change things up but it doesn't really work that well for me. I have to go as low as 1000 calories just to drop anything.

Exercise I don't tend to have as much of a problem with. I am in constant motion. I really want to run a mile. That is my goal. I have asthma and have NEVER been able to run a mile straight through. I've always had to stop and walk. I can brawl/spar for thirty minutes (after a shot off the inhaler) but run? No. I also want to get more flexible. I would love to be able to do a scorpion kick (for karate) but I'm not setting it as a goal. I think I just want to be able to hold a head-height side kick for five seconds. Karate is fun!!! Running is NOT. Weight lifting is fun. Cardio is not. This probably explains why I have muscles but can't run to save my life (which is why I just stand and fight )

I know I'll be battling my weight for the rest of my life. It's a family tradition after all.

So my goals: Run a mile and drop about 50-60 lbs.

You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

I hope you ladies don't mind me chiming in here. But MickeyDogMom brought up a critical factor: exercise.

While everyone is aware of the importance of exercise, I'm not sure most people know how helpful weight training can be. Working with weights in addition to cardiovascular exercise can go a long way to achieving your weight loss goals and keeping them.

You can buy small, inexpensive weights at discount stores. Start slow and with just a little weight. Work your way up gradually to heavier weights and more repetitions. You can find many tutorials online for working with weights.

When muscles are worked with weights, they eventually start to burn fat rather than just sugar. That's right. Those "fat burner" drugs don't burn fat. But muscles do burn fat.

Blog Entries

I just posted on the ongoing regular or organic milk thread and I'm going to link to it because I think the info in it is strongly related to the health of your diet and frequently your resulting weight. Again, too much yuck (and hidden empty calories) in the processed foods we eat. Here 'tis.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Very important for me is why I have something in my mouth. Sometimes it is SID related like crunchy chips, onions, peppers, melted cheese, and some crunchy stuff. Sometimes it is an allergy related cravings as anything that is forbidden tastes so much better like the time I started guzzling sugar free syrup that had gluten, ouch. Some times it is boredom or to fill up.

I try to substitute for that need or take a tiny bit to sate the urge.

Quote Originally Posted by Klutch View Post
    I hope you ladies don't mind me chiming in here. But MickeyDogMom brought up a critical factor: exercise.
    I think a LOT more people need to work with weights. I like to go through pushups, squats, slow side-kicks, slow snap kicks, dips, etc.

I know a few women who are the ideal weight but can't lift anything above 30 pounds. They focus on their food intake but not on their workout. I know someone who cannot reach into a shoulder height oven and pull out a casserole. It's too heavy for her. She has no problems that cause this she just has never worked with weights or muscle workouts.
    You drank my weights?!? ~MDM

I have struggled with my weight all my adult life, but have managed to incorporate a regular exercise program. I love to walk, but my favorite workout is in the pool. I take water aerobics classes several times a week, and, if I can't make it to a class at my fitness club (you can also join a class through the YMCA), I go over during my lunch hour, and exercise by myself. It can be very relaxing to be in the pool for half an hour or so, and, even with a quick shower, I am dressed and back to work in an hour. There are weights for resistance exercises, and those foam "noodles" for ab work. Water aerobics is very popular with people with physical challenges, older folks, and those who are significantly obese-it's almost impossible to injure yourself, and a lot of the moves are used in PT. The other week, I was in an afternoon class, and a couple of high-school age girls joined the class-they had a hard time keeping up with women old enough to be their grandmother. Upping my workouts from three times a week to five has resulted in good control of my blood pressure.

I've been on Weight Watchers for almost a year, and, initially did very well, but I haven't been tracking, and I know why I haven't lost any weight in the past few months. I really have to get back to writing down my food intake-that really works.

Water aerobics is much harder than it looks. I loved doing it at a spa I went to but I haven't done it at home. Pilates didn't help me lose weight but it really changed the look of my arms and legs. I have been working with a trainer for the last 5 months, my weight is about the same but my clothes certainly fit better. In my mind I think I should be 10 lbs lighter but when I was my body just didn't like it. I was tired all the time and got sick more than usual. My point is, sometimes the minds idea of perfect weight and the bodies idea are very different. If you are healthy, can exercise comfortably and most of the time like the way you look that works for me.

Lisa
    He was something to observe, Came in close I heard a voice. Standing stretching every nerve, Had to listen had no choice. I did not believe the information, I just had to trust imagination. My heart going boom boom boom
    "Son" he said "Grab your things I've come to take you home."

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I LOVE doing water aerobics, if it's done in a deep enough pool. The gym I joined when I moved here, the water was barely up to my waist (I'm 5'10", so it was deep enough for other people). I gained almost none of the benefit from being in the water, because it was still super hard on my knees. I have found out about a different gym that's between work and home, so I plan on checking it out in the next few weeks. They offer a non-geriatric water aerobics (that was my other issue with the other gym - it wasn't getting my heart rate up) AND they offer Body Pump, which I fell in love with when I lived in Portland.

Body Pump is an hour long weight lifting group exercise class that hits all the major muscle groups. They are very strict about the teaching of the classes because they want them the same around the world, and I'm sure gyms have to pay a hefty royalty fee. I think it's a great way to get into weight lifting.

Cathy

I thought I'd start reopening up this post to see how everyones weightloss has been going. I recently joined Jenny cRAIG (DEC 1) I am 14 pounds lighter and decided to modify the program to my lifestyle because I eat out often and it has still heloed me lose weight. Calorie is key and I fill up on chopped salads with chicken or shrimp when I go out and I really portion control now.It works if you stick to it. I really only need to drop maybe 10 more but WANT to drop 15 or so to be whereI wanna be..

Kathy

Beach Club 16 stays
    Boardwalk 1 Stay
    Yacht Club 1Stay

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Last visit to the doctor for Mom saw my weight down again. It is probably up since the holidays and not exercising. If I can stay where I am then I am happy.

Blog Entries

Hum. I think we doubled the meat we ate this year and probably doubled the dairy. It's don't think most people would consider it a high meat/dairy diet by any means but it was a change for us. I lost a little; hubby stayed the same (he lost quite a bit last year).

For us, it's still about being satisfied by quality and by quality foods also being better for your body. I have access to local, grassfed beef now. (I know; I put this in every thread but I REALLY missed beef.) It's incredibly low fat yet superdelicious. Same goes for our dairy. I love it but I don't need much and my body tolerates it very well.

We went out to eat way less this year and that helped a great deal. My husband is just about all the way weaned from his processed food fixation.

And there is still a lot of beans and greens going on at our house. Last night was mass consumption at Napa Rose. Tonight we are making up for it with beans, salsa, mushrooms, and tortillas. Tomorrow will be...beans.

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I grew up fat from birth. One memory is of my mother's very dry pair of pork chops. I now cook a pound of meat or a chicken breast and that is enough for dinner for Mom and I plus one midnight snack or breakfast sandwich. I could not finish a 12 ounce prime rib let alone the 14 ounce steak.

The thyroid pills do help. the big difference is using goat products and learning to make stews, soups, home made fresh veggies, rice dishes, and other food from scratch. I made squash with a bit of butter and almost no sodium. so in summary I have seen major diet changes of wider variety of foods, more poriton control, adding goat dairy, more made from scratch meals, and less meat.

I doubt I will ever weigh 250 pounds. I am happy to be under 300 pounds and the same dress size.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dawz1026 View Post
    I thought I'd start reopening up this post to see how everyones weightloss has been going. I recently joined Jenny cRAIG (DEC 1) I am 14 pounds lighter and decided to modify the program to my lifestyle because I eat out often and it has still heloed me lose weight. Calorie is key and I fill up on chopped salads with chicken or shrimp when I go out and I really portion control now.It works if you stick to it. I really only need to drop maybe 10 more but WANT to drop 15 or so to be whereI wanna be..
    Well, I thought about it over the holidays.

I am currently at my "ideal" weight and have been there about a year.

Thing is, I really don't like the way I feel or look at this weight.

I have been underweight most of my life due to a health issue and getting to the right weight was a struggle. Then it was a struggle to accept my new "look" even though I didn't think I looked good when I was skinny. (I wasn't expecting that last bit. I knew I was looking better but I didn't recognize myself for a while.)

I've tried and tried to adjust to the final weight but I just don't like it. My weight and my frame don't seem to match. And, I know this is silly, but it makes me feel "old." So I'm planning to drop just a little bit. I'll still be in a healthy range but on the low end.

I don't do diets, but I will be upping my exercise. My doctor says that's just fine. We'll see what happens!

Personally, I find the extra weight acts as putty, it plumps up the wrinkles and no one believes I'm the age I am.

Although I like to think this is more my attitude than my look. And the lack of grey hair, which is a freak of my father's family genetics.

However, having been through the weight loss wars more than once and finding that I can't button that Bloomingdales evening suit I paid so dearly for so many years ago I went back to the WW method of portion control via point, or caloric daily totals. I actually haven't stepped on a scale since New Years Day. But I find that I feel better, I'm sleeping a wee bit better and I realized I'm squatting down to pick up the cat dish instead of bending from the waist. It always amazes me how just two weeks of change can make such a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady
    I now cook a pound of meat or a chicken breast and that is enough for dinner for Mom and I plus one midnight snack or breakfast sandwich. I could not finish a 12 ounce prime rib let alone the 14 ounce steak.
    I am saying this with a great deal of concern. That is WAY too much meat for two of you. Even WITH a snack, that's not healthy. You should be getting FOUR full meals out of that amount, not two and a snack. Fill that plate up with whole grains, FRESH vegetables, make a HUGE pot of vegetable soup and put it in a container in the fridge and warm some up with you feel the hungries coming on, add some pasta or rice to your plate but, for for heaven's sake, cut back on the meat! It's not a weight issue, it's a health issue.
    Last edited by The Lovely Mrs. tod; 01-16-2010 at 08:45 AM.