Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

A year after my second son was born, I had a lot of baby fat to lose. I did Jay Robb's Fat Burning diet, which was high protein/ low carbs. I did pretty well with it. I drank protein shakes that didn't taste all that great. But it worked.

It seems there are so many diet crazes these days, and some are downright unhealthy.

I am trying to eat better, add more fruits and veggies into my day, and cutting out carbs when on the rare occasion I have will power. I really don't want to do the protein shakes again. They are costly. I don't want to spend a lot of money. I take daily walks for exercise- asthma gets me, so I don't do anything too strenuous.

I tried Weight Watchers. (Didn't attend meetings, but got lots of books, and point stuff from friends.) I found myself thinking about food all the time, and it just was not working for me.

What works for you?

See what my son made for me?

You might give weight watcher another try, the meetings really do help. I'm not sure how long ago you tried them but some of their programs have changed . You are right about thinking about food all the time though counting points is a chore at times. I can happily report that I did lose 33 lbs with them 10 years ago. I have kept most of the weight off and I have found that portion size/control is the best habit I learned from them. Good Luck.

Lisa
    He was something to observe, Came in close I heard a voice. Standing stretching every nerve, Had to listen had no choice. I did not believe the information, I just had to trust imagination. My heart going boom boom boom
    "Son" he said "Grab your things I've come to take you home."

I've changed my lifestyle from when I was heavier. I don't eat out as much. Cook my own food, eat less, snack less, and exercise more. I followed Weight Watchers to give me a structure to follow at first, but have found it doesn't really fit well with my more active/running life, so now I'm just trying to focus on eating food to fuel my body.

Blog Entries

Um, okay, I have actually been freakishly thin most of my life due to health issues but things finally normed out and I have to keep an eye on things now.

To be honest, the same things I did trying to get well and to a healthy full weight work to keep me well now. I don't diet. I do have to work harder to exercise now than I used to because I moved away from my yoga teacher and she helped me keep my focus.

Anyway, foodwise...

I focus on eating five fresh fruits and veggies a day--first. If I do that, the rest is not so hard because I'm not as hungry.

I would never completely give up anything because I don't think it works. And I don't think most "diets" are all that healthy in the long run. I've a big believer in moderation in all things.

I try to consider what I'm eating. If I'm going to eat a dessert, for example, I'm not going to waste my calories on something mass produced and full of weird ingredients. But I won't hesitate to eat something truly homemade or well crafted. And I don't usually butter my bread. I'd rather have good bread without butter than cut out the carbs!

I don't eat much meat; we didn't grow up with it (too poor!). When I do eat it, I make sure it's quality and a little goes a long way. We also tend to use it more as a seasoning than a main dish.

I stay away from heavily processed foods as much as I can. I am the world's laziest person when it comes to preparing foods but there is just too much salt/corn syrup/whatever in that stuff.

I pay for quality basic ingredients (dairy, pasta, olive oil, meat, vegetables) and the meals work out. One of my favorite meals is pasta with olive oil, Spanish tuna, lemon, capers, and arugula. A little parmesan on top. Takes fifteen minutes. But the pasta is top notch and so are the tuna, oil, and parmesan. I don't need much of any of it to feel extremely satisfied.

And honestly, think about the calories less and enjoying, really enjoying, your eating experience more. Americans obsess about calories and diet but don't seem to get any thinner.

"The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

The most expensive thing I ever had was a free kitten.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

I have been fighting my weightloss for sometime now but for me I finally figured somehitng out.

I let myself eat whatever I want! Now I dont eat bad, mostly cereal as it is but:

If I want a cookie, I eat one, but just one and share the rest!
    If I want a cheeseburger, I get one, but cut it in half when I get home and share the rest!

When it comes to exercise I will not lie, I use Barry's Bootcamp! I dont follow the nutrition plan or anything but the workout is great! It is only 49$ at Target and it comes with the DVD's and the transformer(the body pod/exercise ball)
    Easy to follow, they have a beginners level you can do thats not so strenuous and you only do each exercise for a minute. The Main workout is 21 min with a 3 min warm up and cool down at the end.
    It has Missions or sub workouts for 12 min. but has no warm up and a quick stretch for cool down
    We, FDH and I, use the DVD's 4 times a week and 3 times a week we go to the gym for a run on the treadmill and get on the elliptical.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

You don't say how much you have to lose and I'm not gonna ask because that's rude. I'm going to tell you the most motivating thing that ever got me to lose weight...

Ann.Taylor.Loft.

I dropped a lot of weight with that goal in mind.

I couldn't shop there comfortably. Have you seen their clothes? OMG tooooo cuuuuute!! And they have SALES. They're rather affordable. And OMG SO CUTE. And they have a Petite department (which is a big deal for me. I buy petite pants but I can wear regular shirts and usually regular sized dresses.)

My problem now is that I'm sort of stalled. I can fit into ATL clothes and that's good enough. I'm not gaining weight but I'm in a holding pattern. But I find that the problem is me not my program. I'm just not motivated right now. And it doesn't matter what program I'm using, that's going to happen.

I've been successful, when I've been motivated, with Weight Watchers. But I just need to stop and take a break and not pretend for awhile. And survive the DLR Half.

Adrienne

Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Mrs G I hear you!

I'm back to getting some weight off too. 5'3 and 150 is not so good.

I looked at what I was doing to figure out just WHAT I was eating that was putting on LBS!

1.. I have issues with processed sugars(mostly beet corn) so I went back to my sugar free snacks.
    2.. I throw out the kids left over food. Not Here mommy finish my ice cream I'm full, so you think I just spent all that money I'm not letting that go to waste!
    And THAT is how I went from 130 to 165!
    Now I toss out the food! NO eating it!

Now I'm back down to 150.
    When we go to fast food as a treat, I order the fruit salad, if a small hamburger, ditched the fries. Not 2 cheese burgers and frys!

the weddings didn't help all I ate was food I could hold while still decorating something. And that was fatty highly processed foods. Now I bring a lunch and take the 15 mins to eat it!

Now I have gone cold turkey for a week without the DT coke, so no heart burn and headaches now. But If I do crave one I get the tiny bottles of Dt coke drink 1 then I'm done with it!

CG is right don't deny yourself the snack just make is Smaller!

Now my goal is to get the weight bench back in the house and warp the wrist and knee and start back to lifting weights. very small ones then higher reps.

I weight lifted for YRS (11yr old till 29)(then 30-36) and I was thiner and in shape!

Now I wiggle way to much when I walk! So back to work for me.

MY BFF she listens to motivation tapes while she sleeps and she goes for a walk every day, and just ate the same but smaller amounts. She LOOKS great! lost 57lbs! She is on me to get going too!

I agree with make fresh foods, grab a yogurt or grapes before the cookie.
    I love to use grape seed oil for dressings and pastas. Helps with the heart.

Bennette is right if you get really good ingred. that taste so good then you don't think you are denying yourself anything.

it's the getting motivated part that Is really hard!

Good luck!

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I have two goals for my weight, first is maintaining the current weight and second to loose weight. Today I was 286 pound and I am so happy because that is way below my top weight this year and despite a lot of binging this month.

For me it is taking daily thyroid medicine, exercise especially at the parks, and avoiding allergen related foods like cheese, ice cream, butter, and eggs. It is the motivation to get moving with home chores and to go to the parks. All it takes is 10 calories a day extra exercise to lose a pound a year or 10 calories of cookies a day to gain a pound a year.

Instead of worrying about how many calories I take in or put out I am more into good experiences. A day in the parks gives me more motivation than worrying how many calories are burned. Last night I walked about 6 blocks in Downtown Disney. Not much to you maybe but to me that is very far. Motivation is the key to weight loss and and maintenance. Fi you told me to walk 6 blocks I would laugh and say NO but it was fun in Downtown Disney so I was motivated to walk.

Because of mom I am on a lite salt, low fat, no HFCS, no MSG, and as natural as possible diet. We have juice, a carton of ice cream, some mints, her cookies, cornbread, nut bread, frosting free carrot cake, and her wheat thins and Pringles. Not much snack foods or desserts in our house. I buy chips in single serving containers and rarely. My problem is not intake but exercise.

Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix
    MousePad Moderator
    MousePad Administrator
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries

Anyone who knows me knows I'm not the poster child for weight loss. It's been a lifelong battle, fueled by twin issues of a medical condition and an unreasonable fondness for fast food.

I've done WW several times; each attempt has worked long of enough for me to drop 10% of my body weight, by which time I am So. Done. with counting calories/exchanges/points that I fall off the wagon and into the nearest vat of Ben & Jerrys. But I do feel that I need a structure of some form, so it's a catch 22.

A few months ago my doctor, in an effort to diagnose yet another medical issue, put me on the most severe diet I've ever dealt with. This wasn't weight related, it was all about eliminating suspected allergens. My list of off-limits foods was extensive:

Yeast
    Vinegars
    Sugars, including honey
    Mushrooms / fungus
    Cheese
    White flour, white rice
    Chocolate
    Grapes, cantaloupe
    Fruit juice, except lemon
    Processed meats (hot dogs; anything with nitrates)
    Peanuts

I was allowed whole-grain anything (so long as it did not contain yeast), fresh whole fruits, fresh (not canned) veggies and lean meats.

I thought I was going to die the first week.

I developed an intense craving for breakfast cereal - something I just don't eat - and was pretty much in tears at the grocery store when I realized that they don't MAKE yeast-free cereal. (It turns out that yes, they do, but it's very hard to find in a traditional grocery store). Finding food - any processed food - without yeast, sugar or vinegar is equally challenging. They put yeast in things you would NEVER believe if you weren't looking for it.

Tony and I - who ate out all the time - suddenly had to start cooking nearly every meal at home. I developed a few staple recipies for breakfast (cereal) and lunch (chicken breast, hummus and salad greens in a yeast-free wrap), and we experimented at dinner. We found a lot of really great recipies, and had a lot of fun with it, but it was SO HARD to not be able to eat like a "normal" person. To just go do a restaurant and order anything I wanted. To pop through a drive-thru when I wanted a snack, instead of having to plan ahead and pack food. The small handful of times we went out were just not worth the effort - I felt like I was having to play "Lets Make a Deal" with the chef to get a meal I could eat, and the resulting meal was usually regrettable.

But I lost weight. A surprising amount of weight, actually, and I felt much better than I have in years. It reminded me of my experience returning home from Europe after a long vacation - processed American food made me ill for the first few weeks.

I'm off the diet now (but waiting for some blood tests to come back to see if I have to do another round), and I've gained almost all of that weight back since I've returned to my "normal" eating habits. I've also noticed that I eat more food to feel "satisfied" than I did when I was on such a restricted diet, and that I'm really not enjoying the "forbidden" foods as much as I thought I would when I couldn't have them. The whole "empty calorie" thing is definitely true in my case.

As much as it's going to drive Tony crazy, I've decided I'm going back on "The Diet" once we get unpacked in the new house and have a kitchen to cook in again - at least for the meals I eat alone. There's nothing unsafe about that food plan, and it really did help me to feel so much better.

AVP

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room.

MousePlanet CEO, writer and photographer. Foster and Adoptive Mom. Owner of MouseShoppe and CharmingShoppe. Long-distance walker. Not in that order. In my spare time, I try to sleep.

Jonesing for the next Disney Cruise! LauraGar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I focus on eating five fresh fruits and veggies a day--first.
    Hi Bennette, I really like the idea about the five and five, but I'm having an issue finding the 5/5 that are portable.

I can get the five fruits together including dried but the veggies are hard.

Kicker, I hate carrots, but LOVE carrot cake.

May I have a few suggestion you use?
    "If you can't dream it, you can't see it." Walt Disney

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How portable do you want them to be?

Salads of many types are a great way to get in a few servings of veggies. One of my fav's is cucumber, tomato, onion (I like onions), mushrooms into decent size chunks, add some feta crumbles for protein, and vinegarette dressing. You could add bell peppers or any other veggie you like. If I'm feeling REALLY decadent, I'll use some artichoke hearts (NOT in oil) or avocado, too.

Sometimes I'll make that a pasta salad by adding in some whole wheat penne or corkscrew pasta (I forget the 'real' name) (Whole wheat ups the fiber, helping you feel fuller longer - some of the whole wheats have added protein as well).

Cathy

I like red bell pepper or cucumber with hummus for dipping. That's one of my main vegetable sources for lunches. Both hold up well on the go. In the summer I love snacking on raw green beans, but I know some people think that's gross.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraGar View Post
    Hi Bennette, I really like the idea about the five and five, but I'm having an issue finding the 5/5 that are portable.

Hmm. I'm not so portable in my food. Our dinners usually incorporate multiple vegetables or are primarily focused on vegetables.

But I do like the dip approach. Vegetables I like include strips of bell peppers; steamed and blanched green beans, broccoli, snap or sugar peas; very thinly sliced fennel; kohlrabi; turnips; radishes if they are not too hot.

I like thinly sliced zucchini but I know not everyone does. I'm not a big fan of grocery store tomatoes but I think those grape or cherry ones can be pretty good most of the time. I love the little Persian cucumbers but they don't provide the biggest nutritional bang for the buck so I want to be sure there is something else in the mix. Ditto for celery.

If you can make a bean-based spread (hummus is an easy one but I have plenty of other recipes for spreads based on white beans and such), you've added another one in there.

Salads can be really easy if you have some decent lettuce and interesting greens. If I'm doing a simple salad I usually grate in a little carrot (sorry!), a little zucchini, whatever else I have, and a little frozen sweet corn and put them on whatever greens I have that look good. (Not too much corn if you are worried about calories but.)

Marinated mushrooms are easy to make and last several days. Ditto for onions.

I think everyone that knows me knows I eat a lot of beans. Leftovers of beans and greens dinners are probably the lunch I take to work most often. Sometimes is just the beans and greens, sometimes they are in a soup I've made.

I may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but I find eating vegetables MUCH easier if they taste good. Buying our produce from our local, certified farmer's market has really upped our intake of vegetables. If you don't have a good farmer's market around, a CSA might be another option. Those are becoming more available.

Good luck!
    "The white coating is filmy and there’s another creamy layer in there that’s kind of like cream cheese or perhaps unscented foot balm." Cybele May; Candyblog.net

Jonesing for the next Disney Cruise! LauraGar's Avatar

Thanks for the suggestions.

Portable meaning "in a ziplock or container".

I like next day steamed veggies cold from the fridge.

It all in the planning and prep work.

"If you can't dream it, you can't see it." Walt Disney

Blog Entries
    That is so right, I just had to repeat it.

You can't 'eat right' if you don't have good food around!

(And conversely, you can't eat junk if you don't have it available!)
    Cathy

Blog Entries

Portable meaning "in a ziplock or container".

<snip>

You said it. I like planning food and the shopping isn't too bad but I find the prep work at little exhausting some weeks.

Our farmer's market is Saturday mornings. Friday night I usually clean out the produce drawer. Food that is still good gets highlighted for an upcoming meal. Other items go into my freezer container of stock fixings if appropriate, otherwise the compost heap.

When we get home from the market, things get cleaned, prepped to some extent, and generally put away. I usually cook beans over the weekend if they are on that week's menu. I probably make stock every six to eight weekswhenever we've had a chicken usually. Neither of these require much oversight but I do have to be home. Homemade stock rocks and is totally worth your time.

I'm not really good with on the spot meals. If I don't have stuff prepped and an idea of a meal, it probably won't happen when I am home.

This is probably the easiest meal I make and it's good as leftovers. You can find even easier versions and I used canned tomatoes in it on a regular basis.

If you aren't bread averse (and I am not), a bread salad with tomatoes and onions is actually very portable. You just wait until you are ready to eat to add the bread. There are a million bread salad or panzanella recipes on the web--many of them use multiple/different vegetables. There are bread salads in many cultures, it's an issue of finding the one you like.

This is my favorite soup in all the world and it's quite good for you, even though the vegetables don't sound very exciting. Its quality rests on good vegetables and a decent chicken stock. I don't necessarily bother with pancetta; I will use a little good quality ham if that's what I have in the freezer. (I keep chopped ham, pancetta, and bacon in the freezer to have on hand for flavoring vegetable dishes in small quantities.) I make it with whatever fresh bean I can find (summer/early fall is fresh bean season) but a good cooked dry bean is fine as well. (Ranchogordo.com; it will change your life). Even a canned bean would be fine, if the quality was there. (You can sub a 14.5 oz can of tomatoes for plum tomatoes.) Don't skip the fennel! It adds depth.

Blog Entries

I can get the five fruits together including dried but the veggies are hard.

Kicker, I hate carrots, but LOVE carrot cake.

I made one of my favorite summer meals today; leftovers transport well. Do not be put off by the length of the ingredient list; it's really fast to make once you have the stuff.

It's shelling beans and summer vegetables stewed in their own juices and served with a pistou, which is similar to pesto minus the pine nuts.

I halve this recipe for a filling two servings. Do it in order (really) and it's pretty low maintenance.

Take three tablespoons olive oil and two bay leaves and heat them over low heat in a French or Dutch oven. (No french oven? Use your heaviest pan.) When warm, add two medium onions, chopped into large wedges and six plump garlic cloves, peeled and halved. Toss in two good sized thyme springs or a 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme along with six fresh sage leaves or a 1/2 teaspoon dried.

Let those go while you scrub or peel 12 baby (three-five inch carrots or six thicker carrots). If you find skinny carrots, dump them into the pot as they are. If they are larger, cut into three to four inch lengths. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Now add in 3/4 quarters of a pound of small new potatoes. I like fingerlings. If they are larger, quarter them; cut fingerlings in half lengthwise. Salt and pepper these, too.

While you are doing this or before you start the whole process, peel 1 or 2 pounds of shelling beans, cover them with an inch of water. Toss in a thyme sprig and a little olive oil along with another plump garlic clove. Bring them to a boil then let them simmer for about 30-45 minutes, depending on how hard they are. (No clue what a shelling bean is? Rinse a can of cannelini beans and drain them and hold them for later.)

Next add a 1/2 pound yellow or green beans, ends trimmed and snapped into three inch lengths.

Now take a red, yellow, or orange bell pepper and cut it into one inch strips. Dump that in, too. Add a little more salt and pepper.

Add one pound summer squash, any color, cut it into decent sized chunks. More salt and pepper.

Take either five medium tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped and throw them and their juices into the pot. Or do what I sometimes do and dump in a 14 and 1/2 oz can of good grand tomatoes or even some leftover tomatoes from something else. (I used some leftover homemade tomato soup today!)

Let it cook for 40 minutes to one hours, tightly covered, until everything is quite well cooked and you have lots of nice juices. Add a little white wine to the pot if it's dry.

While everything is cooking, make your pistou.

Take a lightly packed 1/2 cup basil leaves, one plump garlic clove, three tablespoons olive oil, and 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (optional). Run the basil and garlic in your mini chopper with the oil and enough water (if needed) to make a puree. Mix in the cheese and season with salt if necessary (I never find it necessary). You could replace this with premade pesto, if you are pressed for time but it is higher in calories from the nuts.

When the veggies and beans are all cooked, toss everything including the bean juices into the pot and give it a stir. Things should be a little overcooked by American standards but that's where the flavor comes in.

Serve in a bowl topped with some pistou and maybe some crusty bread (optional). Dig in with spoon and enjoy!

The next day, it travels to work great. Keep the pistou in a tiny Tupperware until you mix it with warmed up braise at work. You can even eat this at room temperature and pretend you are French!
    Last edited by bennette; 08-29-2010 at 06:52 PM.

I am just looking through some older threads for good info and came upon this one (have to love this forum - I'd never really looked for it and I'm not a marathoner or anything so didn't realize there was health-y stuff in here, plus I wasn't motivated before...)

Quote Originally Posted by bennette View Post
    I focus on eating five fresh fruits and veggies a day--first. If I do that, the rest is not so hard because I'm not as hungry.
    THAT is a great tip - I am NOT a fruit/veggie eater, at all. I grew up on 'mush' - my mom boiled everything until it was good and dead. I do like a good, interesting salad, but that requires a little time and effort (happy to have discovered raspberry vinegrette and 'craisens', though - I often will add these and maybe a few almonds or pecans to some leafy greens, but other than that we (my own family) do not get enough, ever. My husband does a nice stir-fry or grills veggies with a little Italian dressing which we enjoy but we'd get sick of it if it were every night. Once in a while I've had a nice 'roasted veggie medly' but I'm not a cook and I don't know quite how to accomplish this (I've searched on line for recipies but they all have too many ingredients for me!) and usually - four to five of seven nights - we're rushing to get somewhere and don't have/take the time to cook a decent meal.

If I try hard to focus on getting the fruits & veggies out of the way early in the day I think it will help. I do have a large bowl of cereal and milk or yogurt and granola (got hooked on this after having a Disney yogurt parfait five years ago; now I make it at home, minus the fruit usually - see?!?) for breakfast, but if I just take several pieces of fruit to work and then have one for a snack, I'd at least get that out of the way.

Thank you!
    “I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

mousecanuck - I work two fruits and a vegetable into my day easily. All are available all year, too, so season isn't an issue.

If you like bananas, have one with your breakfast. They don't "travel" well, so I don't like to take them to work. If there are yucky spots in the banana, feel free to remove them with a spoon. You don't have to eat the WHOLE banana!

I'll also cut an apple into wedges (taking out the core as I do) and put it in a baggie. But the apple wedges will get a little brown, you say? Yes. And that is a good thing. They are releasing the pectin and I understand that is good for your cholesterol and a natural stomach soother. When I get hungry in the morning at work I just whip out the baggie of apple wedges and I munch them all down without a thought. Then I've eaten a fruit and I'm not so hungry. Win win.

If you really want to go crazy, cut up some carrot sticks when you prepare your apple in the morning. Peel the carrot with a vegetable peeler, slice it in half, then slice the halves into 4-6 sticks. Put them all together in a plastic bag.

If you've gotten in a large apple, a large carrot and a large banana in one day, you may have eaten all your fruits and veggies as at least two of them would likely be considered two servings.

On the days I do this I feel much much better in so many ways. Voila!

Remember to drink a reasonable amount of water throughout the day. Sometimes you might think you're hungry, but you're really thirsty.

Okay, now I really have to start doing this myself. Thanks for the reminder.

Blog Entries

And if you don't like the look of the browning apples anyway - when you put them in the baggie, add a smidgen of lemon juice and 'toss' them in it. (You may have to experiment to get the right balance for you between adding too much citrus so that it affects the taste and adding enough to keep them from browning.

Cathy

add a smidgen of lemon juice and 'toss' them in it
    THIS I knew

that is good for your cholesterol and a natural stomach soother
    THAT I did not know - wow! I take Prevacid (actually the generic of it) daily for heartburn (had heartburn for years and years - since I was in my early 20's and only weighed 120 lbs!) Wonder if this'd help?

I usually take a banana or apple and a granola bar of some sort (low fat, or at least not the fattiest on the market); what I should take is one each banana and apple, and maybe something else (carrot sticks would be good, too). Only problem is I get cold-ish over the winter months and then none of these appeal to me, at all - what I want is warm soup or something. There are a couple of heart healthy brands out there and often that's what I wind up taking in the winter. But I still like the idea of trying to get five in asap - and the banana with my cereal is something I used to do all the time as a kid and when I was younger, somehow forgotten about it more recently and a good idea!

AND fruit smoothies - my kids like these; I find it a pain to have to clean the blender all the time (and it's a pretty new-ish & simple style). We could all use more fresh fruit...

Thanks for the ideas, guys - keep 'em coming!
    “I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

Blog Entries

Ann Taylor is a nice women's clothing store. Ann Taylor Loft is the same people, but more reasonably priced. Pretty 'classic' styles with enough 'trendy' thrown in to not be 'old'. Www.anntaylorloft.com

Thank you - they have some nice stuff with some really cute little details.

I don't really have a specific 'reward' place - saving my $$$ for Disney trip I think (plus I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy some new shorts and things before we go, due to massive amounts of weight lost... ) BUT a week ago, I decided to 'invest' in a couple of nice sweaters, which - though I live in the Great White North - I next to never wear or buy because I'm too hot, always!!! We recently moved offices and now I'm in a really cold room, the only plus being I can now wear the odd sweater (yay!) so I got a long 'over' sweater (short sleeved, open except for a couple of buttons near the top, can wear it over anything, even leggings - but not for me, not yet!) and a nice, chunky grey long sweater that is super slimming and nice looking...I guess it was kind of a reward as they are the first couple of things I've purchased since losing the tiny bit I have so far.

Have to 'get at it' again - started the morning right, maybe do some more tonight...just keep swimming (I should make myself a poster, or a t-shirt - anything to inspire me to keep at it...!)

And we do!!!

Mousecanuck, cleaning the blender, when you are done making the smoothy, (while everything is still wet and not dried on) add hot tap water about half full or so and a drop of dishsoap, and then put the lid back on and blend it. It cleans itself. Just rinse it afterwards then I just turn mine upside down and let it dry.
    ADK, I thought of you while in NYC, everytime we were walking past the Ann Taylor Loft on the way back from the subway station.
    Siggy, when someone mentioned resistance bands, it reminded me, my MIL has a chair aerobics video she uses at home. Target has both the bands and videos. You could even try the library for them. That way you could try out different ones and choose one you like. (My Mil loves Richard Simmons, I believe he has one out) You can search the catalog online.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by candles71 View Post
    ADK, I thought of you while in NYC, everytime we were walking past the Ann Taylor Loft on the way back from the subway station.
    This made me .

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe