Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Weight Loss and Dieting - What works for you?

The Hollywood Chain Gang CariBelle's Avatar

I just finished the Special K 2 Week Challenge in order to get myself into the right mindset. I did lose the 6 pounds they advertsise, but I don't think I will be eating Special K for awhile haha My goal is another 15 pounds. I've also started the Biggest Loser Boot Camp workout DVD and I really like it.
    My main problem is just motivation, I get so comfortable just sitting and watching TV or reading that I just don't get up and do what I need to do. I'm trying to work on that by only allowing myself to sit for 30 minutes at a time, after 30 minutes I have to get up and do SOMETHING. Change the cat litter, load the dishwasher, jump rope, do the workout DVD, just anything to not sit and sit.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by CariBelle View Post
    My main problem is just motivation, I get so comfortable just sitting and watching TV or reading that I just don't get up and do what I need to do. I'm trying to work on that by only allowing myself to sit for 30 minutes at a time, after 30 minutes I have to get up and do SOMETHING. Change the cat litter, load the dishwasher, jump rope, do the workout DVD, just anything to not sit and sit.
    Oh, how true is this. This is exactly what I do, I sit there all comfy with my book or the TV and don't move a muscle. I am going to try to incorporate your stragey if you don't mind. I have a timer on the oven and I am going to try to set it for 30 minutes, so I have to get up out of the chair to shut it off. Even if I do nothing else I will have at least gotten up to shut off the timer.

Thought I'd bump this thread; I just joined Jenny Craig on the 20 pounds for $20.00 promo and I like it so far. I'm looking forward to incorporating it into a personalized menu but for now I'm just going on the pre planned menus. It makes it easy to leave the house knowing that my meals are already in the freezer at work! :-)

Lost 3.6 my first week and this is my second week so far.

I do well at work, it's just when I get home and watch TV that I get the craving to snack. I bought a bunch of cucumbers and have been snacking on those with salt and pepper and a little bit of rice vinegar.

Anyone else have some current weight losses going on??

I would love to drop those 20 pounds!

Hacker, nonmammaltarian, Warrior Andrew's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    Anyone else have some current weight losses going on??
    I've lost 25 since beginning my fitness regime a year ago, but I've been stuck at the same weight for a couple of months. Though that includes two vacations, during which I might have been expected to pack on a few and I didn't, so that must be good. I don't know how much I buy the "muscle weighs more than fat" line, but I am definitely building muscle so that might have some effect as well.
    --
    Andrew [

Buy my stuff on Amazon! (books, DVDs, etc) - all proceeds go to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society Team in Training fundraising!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've dropped 50 lbs in the past year.
    My secret...
    - Lack of sleep.
    - Extreme stress
    - Drinking about a gallon of Lipton Diet Green Tea with Citrus per day.

I can now actually use Wii Fit to help me keep track of some fitness related items.

Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
    My secret...
    - Lack of sleep.
    - Extreme stress
    Good job on the 50 - but these two in particular are probably not the best ways to keep it off long term (at least without other issues starting to creep in!)
    Cathy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    I've lost 25 since beginning my fitness regime a year ago,

I can now actually use Wii Fit to help me keep track of some fitness related items.
    Good Job, yes I want to invest in the Wii Fit eventually.

For now Im going to try to get off MP on my lunch hour and go for walks instead!

Read Everything-Assume Nothing GusMan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    Good job on the 50 - but these two in particular are probably not the best ways to keep it off long term (at least without other issues starting to creep in!)
    Yea... lets just say that the first two conditions are not always by choice.
    But the tea keeps me away from snacking... I think that makes a big difference with me.
    Disney-Inspired Author and Blogger
    CoHost of the Behind The Ears Podcast... Check it out on iTunes
    Admin of The WDW Community Facebook page.

The search function is like the Force. It may take practice, but the more you use it, the more control you will have over it!

Blog Entries
    Yea... lets just say that the first two conditions are not always by choice.
    But the tea keeps me away from snacking... I think that makes a big difference with me.
    Dude, are they EVER by choice? (Or at least the stress one!)
    I bet the tea is helping keep you hydrated and your stomach 'occupied' so it doesn't try to tell your brain it needs food.
    Cathy

I'm doing Weight Watchers. I'm down about 12 pounds since January. I have about 10 more to go. I find the "tracking what I eat" thing to be a real pain, but key to my weight loss. So I just do it. Also, I exercise now. Treadmill at work (we have a gym at work! ) on M, W, F and weights at home (because I'm shy) on Tu, Th, and Sat. Sunday, I rest.

When I track what I eat, attend the meetings and do my exercise - I lose. If I don't do one of the three, I lose far less or gain.

But I like that I can fit into my skinny clothes. And I am looking forward to being more fit for my Disney trips.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Way to go CW!!!! 12 pounds is a lot of weight! Good job!! Just think of how much a 5 pd bag of sugar weighs and you've almost lost 3 of them!!! Good for you!

Yes, about 10 more pounds off for me would help with my clothes feeling a little better I hope!

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

I am still cooking a pound of meat for dinner usually. Last night it was a large chicken breast. Today instead for grabbing a bag of chips or ice cream I nuked left over chicken and some baked mini potatoes. For me the ability to have meat and potatoes to make lunch is a big plus. We do limit meat per meal but I cook a big dinner so that we have extra for later.

Pushing Mom around the parks helps. I find that just doing what I am currently doing keeps the weight steady. I have substituted lower fat and calorie items as well as have added from scratch items like carrots. I find that slowly changing my diet and having options at snack time helps. 5 years ago who would have thought that I would be eating home made mashed potatoes, squash and carrots, lol.

My Goals
    Not gain weight, YES
    Lose weight, probably
    take thyroid medicine, YES
    Healthier diet consisting of fresh items, no HFCS, going organic, and adding veggies to our diet. YES
    Exercise NO, sitll working on that one but when I take Mom to the parks I walk a lot.

The Blue Bayou Lagoon ChurroGirl's Avatar

This year my DH's Dr. got mad at him and has him on a specific life change plan to loose a certain poundage in a certain amount of time.
    I didnt want him doing it all by himself so I started it too.

We have been cooking all our meals and I have been exercising like a mad women! I have 2 different DVD programs I do everyday and over this last weekend I got the Your Shape with Jenny McCarthy.
    I have only really used the Your Shape now twice, I did yoga last night and a good workout today. So far I am loving it, and get a really good cardio workout with my strenght training.

"That's the Evil Stepmother...She's 6 kinds of nasty"- Rowlf the Dog
    "You cannot make authentic guacamole out of lima beans and Ritz crackers" -Peggy Hill

I can't lose weight. The co-worker I eat with is never available for lunch until after 1:00 and the salad bar is decimated. Then she sits there and eats fried food in front of me.

My husband, who does all the cooking (poorly) not only doesn't want me to lose weight, he wants me to gain. He sabotages me every chance I get. He brings me cupcakes. He won't let the kids eat any treats. He eats a bowl of ice cream every night - in front of me.

When all the people around you are fat it is impossible to lose weight.

I am seriously considering giving up. Help!!!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world... Those who know binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by codewoman View Post
    I can't lose weight. The co-worker I eat with is never available for lunch until after 1:00 and the salad bar is decimated. Then she sits there and eats fried food in front of me.

My husband, who does all the cooking (poorly) not only doesn't want me to lose weight, he wants me to gain. He sabotages me every chance I get. He brings me cupcakes. He won't let the kids eat any treats. He eats a bowl of ice cream every night - in front of me.

When all the people around you are fat it is impossible to lose weight.

I am seriously considering giving up. Help!!!
    That's tough. Having a good support system is really important. Can you join a Weight Watchers group? That might be helpful in providing support for you.

How about bringing your own lunch or salad instead of depending on the one you normally go to? I do a lot better when I bring my own food for lunch and snacks. I plan on eating something later in the afternoon, especially if I am working out right after work.

Quote Originally Posted by stan4d_steph View Post
    That's tough. Having a good support system is really important. Can you join a Weight Watchers group? That might be helpful in providing support for you.

How about bringing your own lunch or salad instead of depending on the one you normally go to? I do a lot better when I bring my own food for lunch and snacks. I plan on eating something later in the afternoon, especially if I am working out right after work.
    I am a member of a Weight Watchers at Work program. Pre-paid. That is, when we meet. In the last 10 weeks, we've had to cancel three times. Once was for a snow-storm, though. The inconsistency is really a problem for me. I need regular meetings. I think I'll start tracking going forward and if we miss two or three more I'm going to ask for a pro-rated refund and start going to a regular center.

The problem there is to have the food on-hand to make my own lunch. My poor-cooking husband is the one who does the grocery shopping. He does not eat vegetables or fruit (don't get me started on that!) and he is terrible at picking them out. So I guess my only alternative is to go shopping myself and have "my" food. My mother did that when I was a kid and it always seemed so selfish to me. But it may be my only choice. In fact, I may just need to cook my own meals, too. But I hate to abandon my kids to my poor cooking husband. The fact that I pressured him to cook healthy was the only thing going for their dietary needs.

Okay, folks, I think I need some help with healthy lunches. Any ideas? I've been relying on leftovers (which is a problem if they're all unhealthy foods) so I don't have an arsenal of go-to lunches. Input welcome!

To get started you could go the route of frozen meals, such as Lean Cusines or Smart Ones. Another option is cans of Progresso soup. These are easy to pick up on your way home or to work and for the soup option you could even get a bunch of cans and leave them at work, so you would always know that there is something there for you to have for lunch.
    I am of course assuming that you have a way to cook this type of lunch.

I hate to admit this but at one point I was sabotaging my husbands weight loss, I could not understand that if the food was there he was going to eat it and not stop at what is considered a reasonable amount, like I could. So I was still buying the ice cream, candy and cookies. But we had to have a "talk", wasn't pretty, wasn't one big time but more like lots of little skimishes and reminders, and now we are at a point where I do the shopping and cooking for all but he eats mostly on his own schedule and food preferences. Lots of times that is meat (what ever I have cooked for dinner) and a potato or two maybe a veg. if it is corn or green beans. After many years we have learned to mesh our two styles together for the most part but it is very hard when everyone is not on the same page.

Maybe it is time for a sit down with your husband about your weight goals. Make the discusion more about health and you than his cooking or lack of cooking skills and hopefully he will hear what you are saying. Maybe a master grocery list that he can stick to everytime he shops will help get some veggies or fruit into the house, he may be overwhlemed by what is at the store and not know how to pick it out.

Good luck. I hope you find a support system that works for everyone in your family.

So after all my fussing and fuming yesterday, it turns out I lost 4 pounds! It is over two weeks, as our meeting got canceled last week. But now I'm all enthusiastic again.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    So I guess my only alternative is to go shopping myself and have "my" food. My mother did that when I was a kid and it always seemed so selfish to me.
    sooo.... now you may have a new perspective on why she did that?

You can't control how other people view it and you have to take care of yourself. I'm always worried that people are going to perceive something one way and that's just not always how it is (and if it is, there's really not a lot I can do about it in most cases.)

Look at it this way, too... If one of your sons was trying to get healthier for a personal goal - be it to lose weight or to be in shape for a team sport or something - would you be judging him if he said "Hey, Mom, I need to make sure that no one else eats my apples and carrots and whole grain bread because I need to make sure I have enough to get me through the week."?

You totally wouldn't. So be kind to yourself!

But it may be my only choice. In fact, I may just need to cook my own meals, too. But I hate to abandon my kids to my poor cooking husband. The fact that I pressured him to cook healthy was the only thing going for their dietary needs.
    Will your sons pressure dad to cook better if they see you eating something that looks good to them? Will that work???

Okay, folks, I think I need some help with healthy lunches. Any ideas? I've been relying on leftovers (which is a problem if they're all unhealthy foods) so I don't have an arsenal of go-to lunches. Input welcome!
    I'm not sure that my suggestions are healthy but I've been finding myself getting by on much smaller portions by bulking up on Protein early in the day. If I have a protein intense breakfast and lunch, I can get by on eating LESS and I'm far less hungry in the afternoon and evening.

One thing I've found myself eating often is a small portion of soup or chili for lunch.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

Princess in hiding underthesea1987's Avatar

I dont know about meals at work per se but healthy snacks Ive got down.
    Im more of a snacker in general than a big meal

I like string cheese wrapped in turkey
    Apples with Peanut butter
    Broccolli with parm on top
    tomatoes with just a little salt
    Hard boiled eggs cut in half, then some salt and pepper
    Whole grain toast with apple butter,almond butter, walnut butter, peanut butter, whatever your preference or have on hand
    Special K crackers ( you get a fairly significant portion of crackers with these) and skinny cow soft cheese
    Shredded chicken on a piece of whole wheat bread with a strong flavor of cheese melted over it in the oven til its toasty and gooey
    Some types of Granola bars
    Dehydrated fruit wraps. Not fruit by the foot.
    Egg white omlet with veggies

for quick salads for lunch when I know I wont be home to make nor do I want to rely on whats out there, I tend to chop everything up one day of the week so all I have to do in the morning is dump some stuff on my lettuce and be done. Super quick and easy.

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
    Lilo and Stitch

After 16 months of a total lifestyle change, I have lost and kept off 35 lb. Finally. For me, there was no diet untried. What finally changed was my mind-set. Portion control, yoga, and NO diet food (hence never feeling deprived) were key for me- still are key. I eat what I want but in smaller portions. I cut out desserts after every meal, all soda, increased my water consumption, and got off my lazy butt.

I am a much happier and healthier person, both physically and emotionally.

Cheers!

Blog Entries
    So after all my fussing and fuming yesterday, it turns out I lost 4 pounds! It is over two weeks, as our meeting got canceled last week. But now I'm all enthusiastic again.
    Yea! Good job!

I think you should either ask for a prorated refund for all the non-weather meeting cancellations, or an extension of the program (i.e., have the number of MEETINGS you were promised, not the number of WEEKS). Don't wait for ANOTHER cancellation to ask for that.

Ideas for lunch - eat with someone else or by yourself at an earlier time.

I'm all about the frozen meals for myself. About 5.5 years ago I had to start bringing my lunch again and primarily have gone the frozen meal route. Sometimes they're not quite enough, so having a supply of good granola-type bars on hand is helpful. If I make a big dinner, I'll sometimes bring leftovers. But a nice side benefit of having to bring my own lunch that kept me doing it after I didn't HAVE to any more, was the cost savings!

To me, a really good salad has some protein (grilled chicken breast cubed, tuna, canned chicken even - no mayo or anything - just the meat or decent shredded cheese), some greens (buy a bag), something crunchy (sliced almonds or pine nuts or low/no fat croutons) and a soft fruit (strawberries in season, canned oranges (because they're easy) or another vegetable (sugar snap peas, pea pods, etc). And some non-creamy dressing. Personally, I don't mind low fat/low cal dressing, but some people consider them 'diet' foods, and you really can make a super easy vinegarette simply if you want to really control ratios.

I do also agree with rentayenta (yea on the keeping it off!) - don't 'do a diet' or eat 'diet foods' - change the way you eat. (You probably heard that at your WW meeting -and if not, you REALLY want to go to a 'regular' meeting with a different leader!)

You mention you wish your husband cooked healthier for the kids, too. Is it time to take that chore back yourself?
    Cathy

Account Closed
    Blog Entries

Sunday is Napa Rose dinner with Mom and Monday is the doctor for my Mom's quarterly check up. I will get weighed then. I need to get up and moving so that my quarterly weigh in will show off good. I am scared that this time I will have gained because of a food reaction but I do have ankles which is a good sign.

I use small bags of chips for portion control. Snack foods are in the kitchen usually so that I cannot go there at certain times as it would wake Mom up and so that I have to actually want the item so bad that I will walk all that way for one chip, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by adriennek View Post
    sooo.... now you may have a new perspective on why she did that?
    Oh, yes. And how much she must have wanted to strangle me for eating it. It was healthy food I liked!

And, yes, of course I would support my kids' or my husband's goal to get healthy!

Will your sons pressure dad to cook better if they see you eating something that looks good to them? Will that work???
    Nope. They love all the junky food dad feeds them. They also like a lot of healthy stuff and will eat it if it's put in front of them. They eat just about anything!

I'm not sure that my suggestions are healthy but I've been finding myself getting by on much smaller portions by bulking up on Protein early in the day. If I have a protein intense breakfast and lunch, I can get by on eating LESS and I'm far less hungry in the afternoon and evening.
    Yep. Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by underthesea1987 View Post
    I dont know about meals at work per se but healthy snacks I've got down.
    I find (for me) that it's easier to keep my eating under control if I don't snack in the morning and then eat things like fruit and carrots in the afternoon. If I snack, the points/calories really start to add up and then I have none "left" for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
    After 16 months of a total lifestyle change, I have lost and kept off 35 lb. Finally. For me, there was no diet untried. What finally changed was my mind-set. Portion control, yoga, and NO diet food (hence never feeling deprived) were key for me- still are key. I eat what I want but in smaller portions. I cut out desserts after every meal, all soda, increased my water consumption, and got off my lazy butt.

I am a much happier and healthier person, both physically and emotionally.
    This sounds like me the past few months. Right down to the lazy butt! I am using the support of Weight Watchers as the weekly reminder of my new healthy approach. Once I"m Lifetime, I can just go there every week for free. And since it's at work, it's right down-stairs, so easy to get to.

Quote Originally Posted by Drince88 View Post
    I think you should either ask for a prorated refund for all the non-weather meeting cancellations, or an extension of the program (i.e., have the number of MEETINGS you were promised, not the number of WEEKS). Don't wait for ANOTHER cancellation to ask for that.
    Oh, she's been extending the session each time we have to cancel. (And then there was the time she forgot the scale and we had to weigh ourselves in the company gym.) So our 12 weeks went extra for every week we missed. Including the weather releated one.

Ideas for lunch - eat with someone else or by yourself at an earlier time.
    I am eating with my best friend here. She would likely wonder if I started ditching her! So I think I'm just going to eat with her. She eats terrible food, true. But when I told her about my four pounds she was genuinely happy.

To me, a really good salad has some protein (grilled chicken breast cubed, tuna, canned chicken even - no mayo or anything - just the meat or decent shredded cheese), some greens (buy a bag), something crunchy (sliced almonds or pine nuts or low/no fat croutons) and a soft fruit (strawberries in season, canned oranges (because they're easy) or another vegetable (sugar snap peas, pea pods, etc). And some non-creamy dressing. Personally, I don't mind low fat/low cal dressing, but some people consider them 'diet' foods, and you really can make a super easy vinegarette simply if you want to really control ratios.
    Great ideas! I'm going to print this out and have it in the kitchen (and take it shopping). We have a salad bar at work but 1) it's expensive and 2) the variety is seriously lacking plus 3) the quality has deteriorated in the last few months. So I think I'll just bring my own. I should try a vinegarette.

You mention you wish your husband cooked healthier for the kids, too. Is it time to take that chore back yourself?
    For the sake of getting along, I really can't take that chore back myself. I'm just going to have to really insist on the vegetables and the like. And keep insisting. And keep reminding. Hinting won't work. And keep asking. Politely!

Thank you all for your suggestions and your support (big time). I felt so alone when I posted this. But I don't feel alone any more!

Quote Originally Posted by mechurchlady View Post
    I use small bags of chips for portion control. Snack foods are in the kitchen usually so that I cannot go there at certain times as it would wake Mom up and so that I have to actually want the item so bad that I will walk all that way for one chip, lol.
    Step one for me would be not buying the chips at all. If it's not in the house, it's not available to be eaten. Substitute healthier alternatives if you need to snack, like a piece of fruit, or some carrots dipped in hummus.