Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Arthritis pain management and training

Arthritis pain management and training

Sooo... last summer and fall, I ran a bit - couple of 2 - 3 km runs (I say runs loosely, they were probably more jogs, though DH says I jog fast and I know I have trouble slooowing it down...), almost every weekend from late June to early October. Did several 1 -2 km early morning jogs with the dogs, too, a couple of times a week sporadically through this time. Anyhow, in late August, we went camping, I got too cold in the evening and ached and ached afterward for a few days, couldn't sleep, went to the Dr and he told me to take Tylenol Arthritis. I did continue with the running a bit (used the Tylenol as a matter of course for a few months), but of course along came winter and it went by the wayside, I barely kept up any exercise routine at all (bare minimum eliptical and weights, and rower) from Dec to late Feb, mostly due to exhaustion around my dad's hospitalization. Got it together mid-March and started in earnest with the eliptical, rower and weights (at least 30 minutes of SOMETHING every day, plus the usual 2 - 2.5 km dog walk 5 - 7 times a week). Haven't really lost an ounce but stomach is flatter. April 1 DH did his first ever half marathon and lived (woo hoo!) Easter Monday my dad went back into Emergency and I stood with him (stood; he was on a gurny but we were in overflow and no where to sit even if there was a chair!) for nine hours - again, the pain came back strong and I've had to take drugs in order to sleep and not be stiff and sore since then.

So I know some on here have some pain issues or arthritis issues, but what I'd like to know is can you just push through it (the pain) or would that actually do more damage??? Sometimes going on the elliptical will get me a bit, but not too bad; the weight routines I do (every other day) are pretty mild (can feel it but not too much pain) and the rower doesn't usually bother me at all. I have jogged breifly twice - have to admit the little dog won't keep up after about two kms so I'm not in a rush to get back into it and lengthen my runs (hassle to drop her off at the house but it's doable) and a Disney run would be soooo cool, and DH would be into it for sure. Just don't know if I'm up for it and I'm so ticked, I don't like it when it hurts!!! I KNOW I would never do a full, but if I could walk parts I might survive a half (maybe...) and for sure a ten could be cool, too (DH would do the half, he's not so sure he wants to tackle a full after surviving the half, though).

So is it painful and that's it, or is it painful and telling you not to do this because you're actually making it worse? Comments? Opinions?

“I think most of all what I want Disneyland to be is a happy place, where parents and children can have fun, together.” - Walt Disney

And we do!!!

2. # ADS

Ready for MA World Explorers! Drince88's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I just did a quick google search on running with arthritis - most of the articles indicated you shouldn't run if you're in pain. But they also all recommended checking with your doctor before starting a running regime - so I think that's probably your best bet!

What about walking? Or doing a run/walk -- run for X minutes, then walk for Y. Fast pace walking can get your heartrate up, just like running, and is much gentler on your joints. Plus, you get full value from your entry fee on races if you're enjoying the race for more time . I will never be a runner, my knees just can't handle it, even when I'm at goal weight (which is quite a way off right now).

It's ok to walk most endurance races, though strolling isn't going to get you across the finish line by the time limit at Disney - you have to walk with purpose the whole time. Also, there's nothing wrong with finding out you get to be the head cheerleader (and do other forms of exercise) --- but do check with your doctor before you totally decide to go that direction!

Cathy