Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Why'd they take out the Crab from the POTC attraction? [and other missing things]

Ok Im throwing another Idea out here..CRAB Popcorn Buckets! To be sold by The Pirates Ride!

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by moofeet View Post
    Ok Im throwing another Idea out here..CRAB Popcorn Buckets! To be sold by The Pirates Ride!
    Nahhh, I don't want to get crabs from it.

Or if there is a long line developing for it, people will start to become crabby.

Sorry, had to do 'em!

The crab was there yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by aidensdaddy View Post
    Nahhh, I don't want to get crabs from it.

Or if there is a long line developing for it, people will start to become crabby.

Sorry, had to do 'em!
    I bet the popcorn would taste pretty crabby too.
    "If you can Dream it you can Do IT." Walt Disney

Orville Redenbacher's gourmet crustacean

CRAB Popcorn Buckets!
    Popcorn shrimp.
    Popcorn crab.
    I mean, what's the difference, really?

"Take me out to the ballgame!
    Take out out to the crowd!
    Buy me some peanuts and popcorn crabs!
    I don't care if I ever get scabs!"
    "It is, it is, a glorious thing, to be a Pirate King."
    -- Gilbert & Sullivan, "Pirates of Penzance, or, The Slave of Duty"

Quote Originally Posted by potzbie View Post
    Popcorn shrimp.
    Popcorn crab.
    I mean, what's the difference, really?

"Take me out to the ballgame!
    Take out out to the crowd!
    Buy me some peanuts and popcorn crabs!
    I don't care if I ever get scabs!"
    Popcorn Crab Balls too as a side dish with extra butter on the side. Somebody get the defribrillator please

We were at DL last week, and I made a point to look for the Crab, and sure enough HE WAS THERE!!

On a related note, on Small World Holiday. There's an Elvis bobblehead on the front of the Lilo & Stitch. That wasn't there a few weeks ago, right? I'm not crazy, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisGlass View Post
    I'm not crazy, right?
    You know what they say, if you have to ask you probably are.

I have seen Elvis there before, but I don't think he is there all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by sjhanksaz View Post
    You know what they say, if you have to ask you probably are.

I have seen Elvis there before, but I don't think he is there all the time.
    He is probably just there to keep you from having a Blue Christmas. You know how much Stitch likes Elvis songs.

Number of visits to Disneyland 36

Quote Originally Posted by kfreak View Post
    He is probably just there to keep you from having a Blue Christmas. You know how much Stitch likes Elvis songs.
    So why isn't the blue crab haning out with them too?

So why isn't the blue crab haning out with them too?
    That would be Awesome. I believe he's earned a spot!

Quote Originally Posted by kfreak View Post
    Copycat!

Was at Disneyland yesterday and with the Park being at capacity, I'm glad to report the Crab was there handling the crowds well.

Was at Disneyland yesterday and with the Park being at capacity, I'm glad to report the Crab was there handling the crowds well.
    Was he giving each passerby the claw?

Apply cream twice daily to remove crabs until condition clears. If it worsens, consult your physician.

I have been multiple times. One time the crab was gone. I think the animitronic stuff has to be repaired frequently so they have to add and subtract stuff to minimize the effect on the ride experience.

As far as the cabin, I miss walt and his not caring about PC. Its a ride and
    stuff like that happened back in the old west. So I dont see disney being pressured into shutting it off. More likely maintanance issues forced it shut off for good.

Funny not my brother in law asked same fire brigade question regarding the cabin when riding the columbia

Quote Originally Posted by Tdavis View Post
    As far as the cabin, I miss walt and his not caring about PC. Its a ride and stuff like that happened back in the old west. So I dont see disney being pressured into shutting it off. More likely maintanance issues forced it shut off for good.
    ~D
    What happened to the cabin?

What happened to the cabin?

Davis was referring to the old cabin on Tom Sawyers Island that was always on fire. Some years ago, Disney turned the fire off. Here's a quote from the cabin's page on the yesterland site:

A half century after the opening of Disneyland, the sturdy, fireproof Settler’s Cabin was still there, but the fire had been out for several years.

There’s no official explanation of why the flames are gone. One story is that the gas line needs replacement, but it would be too costly. Another story is that the flames are a victim of California’s strict emissions standards.

This wasn’t the first time that the flames went out. During the period when the settler was a victim of river pirates, the flames were a victim of the energy crisis. The cabin burned with the same artificial fire effect as used in Pirates of the Caribbean. It’s a great effect in the indoor Pirates ride, but it was not convincing when used outdoors. The real fire returned in the mid-1980s.

For a while, the Settler’s Cabin looked really sad—a neglected remnant of the past. It was no longer engulfed in flame. It engulfed in trees. Instead of being the most memorable sight along the edge of the Rivers of America, it was easily overlooked.

As part of the Pirate’s Lair makeover of Tom Sawyer Island, the former Burning Settler’s Cabin became a well-tended Settler’s Cabin. The settler even has a horse, although it doesn’t move. It’s good news that the Settler’s Cabin received some attention. There are no longer holes in the roof or empty windows meant for flames. However, the fix-up also means that we should not expect to see the Settler’s Cabin ablaze ever again
    Here's the link to the page:

http://www.yesterland.com/burningcabin.html

Thanks for that aidensdaddy. Another fine example of the evolution of DLR. To me this was not something I ever gave much thought about..the flames were pretty cool though.

"Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans". - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by aidensdaddy View Post
    Davis was referring to the old cabin on Tom Sawyers Island that was always on fire. Some years ago, Disney turned the fire off. Here's a quote from the cabin's page on the yesterland site:

Here's the link to the page:

http://www.yesterland.com/burningcabin.html
    I remember that. I thought you were talking about that cabin you pass by right before the first drop on pirates.

I liked the flaming cabin. Bring it back!

I remember that. I thought you were talking about that cabin you pass by right before the first drop on pirates.

I liked the flaming cabin. Bring it back!
    No, that lil cabin is still there with the quiet creepy guy on the porch and you hear the banjo playing.

How about a flaming Crab'in?
    Would you guys be satisfied if they had a little flame coming out the Crab?
    It'd be an homage to the cabin.

As long has he had flames coming out both claws. That would be pretty cool. That seagul would never touch him

No, the sight of flaming crabs could bring back painful memories for some people.