Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dumbo is MIA from the new fireworks show. WHAT HAPPENED?

Eek! Dumbo is MIA from the new fireworks show. WHAT HAPPENED?

What happened to Dumbo??? I was there twice this week and he was MIA. I didn't even know he existed and secretly wished that he would have been put into the show because one point obviously called for it.

I was just at Disneyland on June 22nd and I saw the new fireworks show for the first time. There is one scene where the music is just calling for Dumbo to fly out down the zip line, but it didn't happen and I thought the Imagineering team missed-out on this great staging opportunity. I decided to come back yesterday on Thursday, June 25th to watch the fireworks again from a good spot because I had a terrible view on Monday. I staked out a spot super early and after watching the show, I learned from two delightful ladies I was sitting with that they had watched videos online that showed there was a Dumbo that was supposed to appear and they were shocked that he didn't appear last night.

Well, now I am just disappointed that I've missed out on seeing Dumbo twice (especially since this second time I "camped-out" for over four hours). I asked guest relations what happened to Dumbo and they didn't know. Does anyone know what happened? Did he suffer an accident like the Fantasmic Dragon?

I went home and found the video on YouTube and it was fantastic. I'm sorry I missed out. It would have made the show more Magical instead of just a ho-hum show. I got chills watching Remember.

2. # ADS

Disneyland Regular

I also have seen the new show twice, and not seen Dumbo. I guess they are still working out the kinks.

God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Dumbo was out and working last Sunday, 6/20

Dead Men Tell No Tales.

The gods have been angered by all the celebrating.

Dumbo was in the fireworks show tonight (Saturday) - I was sitting by Rivers of America, so I couldn't really see but I definitely saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Jasmine View Post
    Can't wait for fall when "Remember..." comes back. Here's hoping they're telling the truth!

Quote Originally Posted by dznyphreak View Post
    Can't wait for fall when "Remember..." comes back. Here's hoping they're telling the truth!
    I second that. The new show is pretty bad. I guarantee it won't last. The show tries to do so much thematically that it ends up with mangled messages and forced visuals that I don't care to see. Where is the feeling in the show? I don't feel anything when I watch it and I know I'm not alone as I don't know anyone that actually likes it.

Plus with the Dumbo stuff, you can already see what a mess it is. Maybe they can salvage it somehow, but they already lost me. I was hopeful when I first heard about the show and its whole Magical theme and message, but without substance, it falls flat on every level.

Oh well, at least Fantasmic is still the best. And hopefully with Captain EO coming back, Disney can still have their mojo going.

Thank you! I was there on June 22 for my birthday and thought I had somehow missed him.

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

On the days when Dumbo didn't fly, did Tink fly?

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    On the days when Dumbo didn't fly, did Tink fly?
    No, not on Monday.

MousePlanet Staff
    MousePlanet Staff
    Blog Entries
    10 points for Princess Jasmine. Great answer.

Adrienne
    Parenting in the Parks[/url]
    Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with what happens to you.[/b]
    "You should do totally do this thing, but just remember, it's going to suck eggs" #ThingsMyFriendsSayToMe

I heard that dumbo is a rare sight due to weather. Even though the winds aren't strong enough to cancel fireworks, I hear that the slightest winds can cause Dumbo to really fly out of control...

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    I heard that dumbo is a rare sight due to weather. Even though the winds aren't strong enough to cancel fireworks, I hear that the slightest winds can cause Dumbo to really fly out of control...
    Well that's just pathetic. They should have made Dumbo a little more hardy. That whole sequence does not work without him.

And then why is Tinkerbell not going either?

Tinkerbell went down the zip line the two times I saw the show and Dumbo was MIA.

Save damsel-kill bad guys-save world jMom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up

You rock!
    Bob Genghis Khan, So-crates Johnson, Dennis Frood, & uh, uh... Abraham Lincoln // I've been ionized ... but I'm okay.
    "The imp of the perverse made me do it. I said ‘yes’. Why curse the darkness when someone offers you a blowtorch, hey?" - R. McKinley

Tink Collector

Unhappy

I was there on the 25th. After watching the video here I could not wait to see Dumbo. Dumbo did not fly. I was really disappointed. However, Tink did fly. The Cinderella part of the fireworks worked well. The last fireworks show (Remember?) was fantastic, more like a Broadway production. My hopes were high that this one would compare, but the length of the show and the lack of Dumbo was a disappointment.
    Vowed Disney Nut, Grew up watching the fireworks from my backyard. PAP DLR

MousePad Subscriber
    Blog Entries

Both Tink and Dumbo flew tonight.

Please don't ask me how I feel, I feel fine.
    Oh I cry a bit, I don't sleep too good, but I'm fine

Pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake, pancake...

On 6/22 we were in the Parks to watch the fireworks and they kept annoucing that due to high winds the fireworks may be cancelled. The fireworks finally went off but no Tink or Dumbo which was disappointing since my niece really wanted to see Tink. If it's due to weather I can understand, but I really wanted to see Dumbo up close. We only got to see him fly from the conceirge lounge.

We saw him the week of June 15th. I think the cute little elephant was really the only redeeming quality of the whole show. I didn't know I was in the majority. I sorely missed the "feeling" of every other Disney fireworks show... especially Remember...

==Wendi==
    2007 WDW @ AKL ~ 2006 WDW @ AKL ~ 2005 WDW @ Pop ~ DLR Too Many Times To Count!

Tower of Terror is the best

WHys it seem that keep having problems with the shows they have adverstise for the summer. Fantasmic without the dragon and fireworks shows sometimes without the dumbo or tinkbell showing up. Im sure theys been a lot of unhappy people that came to see this things.

BLAB NEW pass 26 as of 10/14/2010
    New AP DCA tower of terror count 32 9/17/2010 & space mountain 44 8/10/2010 ghost glaxy3 9/17/2010
    DCA Tower of Terror Count as of 2/08/06 : 912
    Reopened Space Mountain Count 73 02/19/2006

From what I gather having Dumbo fly depends on how windy it is, Disney
    is powerful in many ways, but I don't beleive they can control the wind...

Perhaps they should have thought thru different ideas for those occasions
    before launching the new Fireworks but in truth I can't fault them for trying
    to make a new and more creative show.... If nothing else this summer with
    its many "concerns" with both shows may learn alot and create even better
    and more exciting ones in the future, I have to give them credit for trying to
    make more exciting shows....

Angie

Dumbo flew last night (June 27). It really was wonderful to watch, but I was concerned if we would see him when a slight breeze started up just before the show.

Cruising the Seas... Looking for the Pearl

Well, maybe the Gods have quited down and are feeling better because this past Saturday, we were there to see Magical and we saw Dumbo! I got all choked up, I have sung Baby Mine to my daughter since she was a newborn and when Dumbo flew across the sky, it was precious to see my daughter's reaction and see her excitement.

I liked the show, we had a great time!
    Co-host of The Mouselounge Podcast

We were there yesterday (Sunday 6/28) and Dumbo and Timkerbell flew. How come Mary Poppins Doesn't fly? They have a whole segment for it, she really needs to be there.

What a cute idea, that would be neat to see!

Co-host of The Mouselounge Podcast