Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Goofy's Kitchen-What a bust!

Goofy's Kitchen-What a bust!

We had PS for 1:20 on Sun 6/22 and there was 9 of us. We had the worst experience ever. We were seated at 1:30 which is no big deal. We were rushed through our picture with Pluto and didn't get a chance to do 2 of them since we were 2 seperate families. We were 3/4 of the way through our meal before our first character showed up which was Goofy. We were completely done and still waiting for someone else to show up. I had to take our 2 year back to the room since she was over due for her nap. My parents left with me. I guess Alice finally showed up and everyone else left because they were tired of sitting there. We didn't even see any other characters in the place!

They also noted it was my daughter's 8th b-day but our waitress didn't come out with the cupcake with candle like everyone else. In fact, I don't even remember seeing our waitress expect to get the drink order.

After thinking about it for a day, I went back Monday night and asked to speak with a Manager. It took him 2 phone calls and 20 minutes for him to show up. I told him the whole story again and he apologized and said he would talk to the staff and characters and that I should expect a phone call from customer service. He also said there was nothing he could do for us that night, but took down our room #2906.

I'm still waiting for that phone call that never happened! A mystery signed black & white picture of the Pooh, Tiger, and Eyore showed up in the room with no explanation that night after we got back to the room. We were suppose to receive balloons and a picture of my daughter for her birthday too. So I'm not sure if this is for the birthday or because of my complaint. We also didn't get the balloons.

Here is my issue. Did I expect to get a free meal out of it? NO. I do expect bettter customer service? Yes. Also, we had 4 children on the reservation. How are 4 kids suppose to split one picture? Should I complain again? We spent a lot of $$$ for character interaction and didn't get it. I'm so glad that morning we hit Toon Town and was able to see Mickey and Minnie there.

We had poor service at most of our sit down meals so I'm not sure if this one just sent me over the edge. If you have more than 8 in your party (even if 2 families are paying seperate) they automatically charge 18% and then don't work for it.....

Thanks for letting me vent.....

2. # ADS

Smile

Vent away! I'd be more than a little dissatisfied myself if that happen to me and my party.
    I have always loved the character meals and have always felt fortunate every time we have been able to afford going to Ariel's, Goofy's, Lilo's, or Minnie's and have sat at the table longer than necessary to get those character pictures too.
    I feel that if I paid that amount of money to be there than I should get to stay there as long as it takes to get the pictures I want. (Because we too have experienced times where the characters seemed to have "missed" us.) We usually have asked the hostess or server to get the characters to come over because they missed us, but it sounds like in your case that you couldnt even find your server!
    I hear where you're coming from! I'm really sorry you had a disappointing time. I'd say something again, it can't hurt. (Especially if they promised you one thing and didn't deliver) I would think (just my opinion) that since you were there CELEBRATING a little girls' birthday and this is their BIG promo right now, that they will try to make you happy. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    Vent away! I'd be more than a little dissatisfied myself if that happen to me and my party.
    I have always loved the character meals and have always felt fortunate every time we have been able to afford going to Ariel's, Goofy's, Lilo's, or Minnie's and have sat at the table longer than necessary to get those character pictures too.
    I feel that if I paid that amount of money to be there than I should get to stay there as long as it takes to get the pictures I want. (Because we too have experienced times where the characters seemed to have "missed" us.) We usually have asked the hostess or server to get the characters to come over because they missed us, but it sounds like in your case that you couldnt even find your server!
    I hear where you're coming from! I'm really sorry you had a disappointing time. I'd say something again, it can't hurt. (Especially if they promised you one thing and didn't deliver) I would think (just my opinion) that since you were there CELEBRATING a little girls' birthday and this is their BIG promo right now, that they will try to make you happy. Good Luck!

Ditto Ditto, my thoughts exactly....

Angie

Blog Entries

I would write to Guest Communications, and explain everything. If you paid for the balloons in the room and didn't get them, I would complain about that also.

We had a similar experience at Minnie's. Disney made good, and while I am leery of Minnie's, I will continue to enjoy the others. We have always had excellent service at Goofy's. (And same at Ariels and Celebration Round Up.) But we rarely do meals that close to the end of the seatings. As for being seated at 1:30, a priority seating isn't a reservation, but more of a fastpass.

Planning 3 trips at once...

I had a similar experience with Goofy's. After seeing only one character in an hour, I asked a CM for assistance. She was very rude and was no help at all. What's worse is the characters would visit the entire row of tables except the one next to us and us.

I thought this was just bad luck, so we went again. THE SAME THING happened. We won't be going back to that restaurant.

I will say our first visit in '07 was wonderful, but the last two were terrible. We have much better luck at the other character meals.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First off, I totally agree with Hannahbelle and Malcon10t. Keep trying.

We've been fortunate enough to have great character experiences every time we've been to a character meal. BUT, that being said. I alway ask my server how soon we should expect our first character the minute we sit down. One time I got up to get my boys' plates and missed two characters. Don't be hesitant....get a CM involved...even if it means getting up to go find one. I would be totally upset if I was in your shoes.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Fairest is so right, sometimes you have to be a bit assertive when you are
    wanting a great experience, doesn't mean your being rude, just ensuring
    that you are not forgotten. We will be going to our first Disney character
    meal on our next visit. I am hoping for lots of characters too.... and this
    site and people have given me lots of good advice and help in ensuring that
    it is a good event for us.... that being said, I will make sure that I ask and
    talk to the CM who are working the day we go to ensure we don't get
    forgotten

Angie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fairestoneofall View Post
    One time I got up to get my boys' plates and missed two characters. Don't be hesitant....get a CM involved...even if it means getting up to go find one. I would be totally upset if I was in your shoes.
    This has happened to us. I simply told the server that whichever child missed Pluto (or whatever character) and could they make sure they stopped back by. The characters usually sign the table paper so you know who has been by. We have had such excellent character interaction at Goofy's I really recommend it. BUT, I will say we have gotten MUCH better interaction at dinner, rather than breakfast.

I'd keep trying...

We've eaten at Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast and dinner and had great interaction with characters at both -- with one exception -- Goofy. We had seats near the outer door for breakfast, which meant all characters came by us either coming or going. Our dinner PS was closer to the middle, but we still saw lots of characters.

On Thursday morning (6/25) we had PS at 9:30 for Minnie and Friends and met 10 characters and saw even more. Maybe it's just timing.

It could be just timing but there should be consistent service and character interaction no matter what time of the day it is.

Oh, I love that phrase -- "vent away!" -- because if you can't vent here, then where CAN you vent?! LOL! I've had similar experiences at Goofy's Kitchen and also at Disneyworld! At Mickey's Kitchen!!!! The characters seemed to favor birthday parties at Mickey's Kitchen -- and simply walked by our table as though we weren't even there. Goofy's Kitchen tended to have the same characters appearing -- in the same order -- and then they'd start their dance number, disappear -- and once again, the same order of characters would reappear. We saw maybe 3 characters at that breakfast -- and then just as we were leaving (after sitting there so long), Mary Poppins showed up, Alice, and the Mad Hatter. But we were leaving! I felt so angry. My son was disappointed. Our server did come by and ask if we'd seen everyone, but how can you say "no?" when you don't know who else is available -- if they haven't even appeared? I guess we should have asked. Now I'd do that. But to be honest, I'm totally burned out on these character meals. I'd rather see them in the park, get their autograph, photo, and go on my way.

Blog Entries

Like I have said a few times, we have always had better interactions at dinner, rather than breakfast. Even though my kids are all adults (19-23) we have always had every character out stop and interact. I guess we have been very lucky.

We had a similar bad experience too with Goofys Kitchen and when I wrote and complained to customer service they offered me a autographed photo of Goofy.....that was like salt in the wound after spending that much on a meal! It was almost funny though ...an autographed photo of Goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by T1nkerbe11Fan View Post
    We had a similar bad experience too with Goofys Kitchen and when I wrote and complained to customer service they offered me a autographed photo of Goofy.....that was like salt in the wound after spending that much on a meal! It was almost funny though ...an autographed photo of Goofy.
    ouch! thats ridiculous. A picture? Wow, just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannahbelle View Post
    ouch! thats ridiculous. A picture? Wow, just wow.
    Yeah thats what I said it was a little diappointing

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T1nkerbe11Fan View Post
    We had a similar experience at Minnie and Friends a year ago. I wrote guest relations and detailed my issues. They sent me a voucher for future meals equal to what I spent at Minnie's that morning. I still haven't been back to Minnie's, but those vouchers helped pay for Goofy's dinner one trip!