Lost in the Viridian Forest...

Eek! The Valente Family - Polynesian Club Level - June 17-24, 2009

Trip Report 09
    The Valente Family - Polynesian Club Level - June 17-24 2009

Travel dates: June 17-24, 2009

Travel method: The Family Roadster, and the open road

Resort: Disneys Polynesian Resort

Accommodations: Club level, Lagoon View

Ages Represented in Group: Michele (Mother) 48, Bob (Father) 47, Alex (brother) 18, Stephen (yours truly) 15

Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: We all generally have the same amount of park experience. Mother and Father were there for the opening of the Studios. We started going as a family when I was 3, and went back almost every year ever since (except 2005, we went on a cruise).

Comments: As I said, we started going to the World in 1997. We stayed in a tower room in the Contemporary for 3 days, and I was apparently too short to see over the banister. As a result, they never stayed at a deluxe resort again until last year. For whatever reason, they splurged and decided to stay at the Polynesian. One week prior to leaving, my father decided to surprise my mother by upgrading our room to club level. The whole family was going through a very tough time then, and it put a special strain on my mother, so he thought this would cheer her up. We were originally booked for a garden view, but when we got there, we were upgraded to a lagoon view. After that, the whole family fell in love with the resort.

As soon as the buy 4 get 7 deal came out, I informed the parents and they shot straight for the same room we had last time. With the deal, the whole shebang was actually affordable, so they took it, and now we are going back for another fun-filled time.

I have been planning for this for a couple of months now, but none of my planning never really got anywhere. Im hoping to just wing it when I get there.

Cast of characters:
    The Aforementioned:
    Michele (mom)
    Bob (dad)
    Alex
    Stephen (me)

--------

We left our humble abode in Sugarloaf, PA early morning June 13. I am all packed, with all of the Disney paraphernalia I need (except my pins, I lost them somewhere!) and am anticipating a great ride down to Carolina Beach, North Carolina (3 night stay) for some exciting days at the beach, and then down to Orlando on the 16th! I am posting this here now because I wont be taking this computer to Florida with me, and I already wrote this on the computer. Have fun reading, and I will try and post any updates whilst Im there.

With deepest regards,

Stephen Valente

Disney Again! Polynesian '09!
    hoping to go back soon...

2. # ADS

Self-proclaimed Diz nut TinaMouse's Avatar

Stephen, I just had to say.....

"Robin, would you like to say anything? ANYTHING at all?"

No...no I don't.

LOL!!!

Safe travels. I can't believe it's already been a year since you were down there! Looking foward to your escapades!

Working hard for that next WDW trip!

Quote Originally Posted by monoman View Post
    Trip Report 09
    The Valente Family - Polynesian Club Level - June 17-24 2009

Travel dates: June 17-24, 2009

Travel method: The Family Roadster, and the open road

Resort: Disneys Polynesian Resort

Accommodations: Club level, Lagoon View

Ages Represented in Group: Michele (Mother) 48, Bob (Father) 47, Alex (brother) 18, Stephen (yours truly) 15

Disney Resort Experience Represented in Group: We all generally have the same amount of park experience. Mother and Father were there for the opening of the Studios. We started going as a family when I was 3, and went back almost every year ever since (except 2005, we went on a cruise).

Comments: As I said, we started going to the World in 1997. We stayed in a tower room in the Contemporary for 3 days, and I was apparently too short to see over the banister. As a result, they never stayed at a deluxe resort again until last year. For whatever reason, they splurged and decided to stay at the Polynesian. One week prior to leaving, my father decided to surprise my mother by upgrading our room to club level. The whole family was going through a very tough time then, and it put a special strain on my mother, so he thought this would cheer her up. We were originally booked for a garden view, but when we got there, we were upgraded to a lagoon view. After that, the whole family fell in love with the resort.

As soon as the buy 4 get 7 deal came out, I informed the parents and they shot straight for the same room we had last time. With the deal, the whole shebang was actually affordable, so they took it, and now we are going back for another fun-filled time.

I have been planning for this for a couple of months now, but none of my planning never really got anywhere. Im hoping to just wing it when I get there.

Cast of characters:
    The Aforementioned:
    Michele (mom)
    Bob (dad)
    Alex
    Stephen (me)

--------

We left our humble abode in Sugarloaf, PA early morning June 13. I am all packed, with all of the Disney paraphernalia I need (except my pins, I lost them somewhere!) and am anticipating a great ride down to Carolina Beach, North Carolina (3 night stay) for some exciting days at the beach, and then down to Orlando on the 16th! I am posting this here now because I wont be taking this computer to Florida with me, and I already wrote this on the computer. Have fun reading, and I will try and post any updates whilst Im there.

With deepest regards,
    SIR , LAST WE "MOUSE PLANETED" I HAD ENDORSED YOU FOR PRESIDENT . SADLY YOU DID NOT RUN ENJOY YOUR TRIP & HAVE FUN.

Sorry for the delay, folks. It's been a while since I'm on Mousepad (we never bothered to get internet at Disney).

I didnt put any of our ADRs on here, so here is a list of them before I put in any installments:

June 17, Nine Dragons Restaurant, 7:30
    June 19, Le Cellier, 7:25
    June 21, California Grill, 9:25 (all dinner)

also, June 22 we booked a Behind the Seeds Tour for a special Fathers' Day treat.

Now let us begin:

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The day started early. I had gotten up at 5:18, and had alarms set for 5:20. Alex and I were going to watch the Shuttle launch! It was going to be keen! We walked down to the lobby of the Marriott Fairfield Inn at the Marriott village. We walked out the doors and I started to scope out where southeast would be, but a cab pulled up and the driver said that the launch was cancelled. Darn! So we went back to the room, I got back in bed and I drifted off

An hour and a half later, I woke up and all of us got ready to leave. We packed up the car, getting ready to go to Disney property. We drove up 4, and then on to World Drive. We were finally there!

Going to the Polynesian, we checked in. Our room was not ready when we arrived, so we went to the Magic Kingdom. We entered the park, and we were trying to decide where to go. We decided that Alex and I would go get Fast Passes for BTMRR and we would meet the parents and PotC and then we would ride it. Adventureland was extremely crowded! But Frontierland was much better then. We got the Fast Passes for about 11:30. We met the parents back at PotC and rode our first ride.

Our Fast Passes for BTMRR were already up, so we went to ride that. After getting off the ride, Mom said she wanted to do the Enchanted Tiki Room, Under New Management because she never did it. We rode it and the family really enjoyed it. I didnt really like it personally. I can watch it, it is entertaining, but I still feel the original is better. We went to get Fast Passes for Splash Mountain, and as a tradition, Alex wanted to eat at El Pirate y El Pericho, so we went to have lunch. Our Fast Passes were not up yet, and I wanted to ride the Carousel of Progress. We went to the Frontierland Train and took it over to Mickeys Toontown Fair.

We walked into Tomorrowland, and went over to ride CoP. I loved it as usual, and my parents seemed to enjoy it too. We were able to get new Fast Passes, so we got ones for Buzz Lightyears Space Ranger Spin. We walked ALL the way back to Frontierland and rode Splash Mountain. Alex and I rode in the front seat and somehow, we only got a few drops on us in the big drop. How we didnt get soaked was amazing!

So then we walked ALL the way back to Tomorrowland to use our Fast Passes. After riding, our room was ready so we went back to the Polynesian via monorail. We got our room (3502, where I am writing this right now!). Alex wanted to take a resort tour and take the monorail to the Grand Floridian and Contemporary. I went with him, and we stopped in both the Resorts. We went back to the resort, to get ready for our ADR at Nine Dragons that night. We walked to the TTC and took the Monorail to Epcot. We had to go straight to the restaurant.

The place was not crowded, and we got right in. Mom, Alex, and I shared Egg Rolls and Honey Sesame Chicken. Dad himself had Five Spice Baked Fish. It was all very, very good and tasty! And our waitress was a lot of fun too.

We went to ride Spaceship Earth before the attractions closed. After Spaceship Earth, we went and stayed a bit in Mousegears, and then went back to the Resort. I went down to the beach to watch Wishes!. The fireworks were good, but apparently they stopped playing the music on the beach. That was a disappointment, but it was all still ok. We stayed up a bit and then went to bed to get ready for the next day.

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Today was a day dedicated to Epcot. We all agreed that we wanted to ride Soarin, so Alex and I volunteered to get Fast Passes for the family, while the parents rode Spaceship Earth. We met them back by the Times Board. The wait times were long, my friends. Very long indeed. Mission:SPACE? 60 minutes. Test Track? 90 minutes. Soarin? 120 minutes!

We tossed around a few ideas on what to ride. Although deciding on Mission:SPACE and walking halfway there, we stopped halfway where my dad declared he did not want to wait an hour for a ride. So that was it. No space mission for us for a bit.

The Living Seas was our next choice. We got into the clam-mobiles and saw the ride, which it still amazes me how they get the projections of our sea friends into the actual aquarium.

We walked around the pavilion a bit. I really like this pavilion. The fish can be so colorful and fun to watch! We even saw the manatee exhibit. Theyre just lumps! says Alex. I still like them, even if they are just lumps eating celery.

I saw the waiting area for Turtle Talk, so I stressed interest in seeing it. The show never fails to disappoint! I love the great guest interaction, and the kids answers are priceless! I would like to do this any time. Its a nice respite from the heat.

We were able to get new FPs, so I led Alex to the Mission so we could finally ride it. We got them, and by now, the FPs for Soarin were up. We walked over to The Land to use them, and Soarin was still just as good as ever. By now, we were all very hungry. We walked over the World Showcase to eat some foods from different lands. Alex got a quesadilla from the San Angel inn at the rest of us shared egg rolls and dumplings from Lotus Blossom.

It started to get very hot. We went to back to the Polynesian.

I rested for a few moments, and then I was up and at them. I was going over the Grand Floridian to find all of the Hidden Mickeys (at least the ones that are listed in the book!). I found them rather easily, didnt take me very long. The grounds and the GF are very nice. I got a few good photos of the castle from the marina.

I rode around the lagoon and walked around the Contemporary for a bit. Then I went back to the resort for 7 so that I would make service (food offerings at the club level. I didnt know what it meant either so thought I should let you know). Today it was lo mien. I had more Chinese food in those past 24 hours then I had in the past year!

Back to Epcot for the night. There was EMH that night until midnight. We went in and rode Spaceship Earth yet again before going to the World Showcase for a bit of shopping. We stopped in France to watch Impressions de France. We were in France (and you must say this with a long a in order to read this trip report) when Illuminations began. This is, of course, my favorite show on property. The music and visuals prove for a very thrilling experience.

After the show, parents went back to the resort and Alex and I stayed for EMH. We ran around for like 15 minutes trying to find where to get wrist bands, when a cast member enlightened us to the fact that there are no more wrist bands. Somehow I missed that tidbit of information.

We then proceeded to walk around the rest of the showcase, stopping in Norway to get cake and cookies and in Mexico to ride the Three Caballeros ride. We went to future world and there really was not much to do without waiting for an infinity of time. We went in Mousegears and I got my father Fathers Day gifts that my mom pointed out to me beforehand while my brother went to wander around (im really not sure where he went). I got the goods and then we rode Mission:Space before we left the park.

A good Epcot day all n all. Tomorrow will be the Studios and Le Cellier and the PM!

Friday, June 19, 2009

We were all up and ready at about 9 or so, and we went down to the club level lounge to have the regular continental breakfast. For breakfast, the offerings everyday were bagels with fixins, sticky buns, croissants, plus different kinds of cereal such as frosted flakes, fruit loops, raisin bran crunch (from Kelloggs!) and cheerios.

We went down to the bus stop and the bus to Hollywood Studios pulled up just in time. The bus was, well, the bus.

We pulled up to the park and went to the entrance. Alex and I were volunteered to run to Toy Story Midway Mania to get Fast Passes. We ran all the way there, and the distribution times were for 5 to 6. Why do we even bother? We met up with the parents again so we could go down Sunset Boulevard (that twisting boulevard) to get FPs for Tower of Terror!

After receiving these, we went over to the Great Movie Ride area. We stopped to get popcorn and water at a cart near the hat. We sat for a couple of minutes, when a cast member came up to us for a survey. She asked us questions like where we were staying, how long we were staying, etc, etc. She was from our state, actually the Pittsburgh area, which is on the other side of the state from us. She gave me some good advice for me if I were to hopefully get into the Disney College Program. She was very helpful!

After this little break, we went to ride the great movie ride. Now in the line, we got to see some of the great ways people come up to skip ahead in line. We were standing there and the line in front of us started moving. When the moving part got up to us, a child ran beside us and ahead. All of the sudden, the rest of his family comes up behind us (about 5 people) and chase after him. And when they finally got him, they just stayed in front of us. And they even did it again before the line reached the door. And you know what else is funny? We were on the same ride vehicle, so skipping in line did absolutely nothing for them!

So we did not let that ruin our day. We got off the ride and our FPs for ToT were ready. Us 3 rode it and we met mother after we got off (she does not ride, we are lucky to get her on BTMRR and Splash). We strolled over to the other side of the park after this.

On the Streets of America, we saw Muppetvision, one of my personal favorites. We walked around randomly and then we wanted to go on the backlot tour.

In line, a cast member walked up to us. She asked if we were a family of four. We are a family of four. And guess what? She was looking for a family of four! !We were picked to do the beginning pre-show of the backlot tour. You know, where they sit in the booth and spray you with water.

Of course mom did not want to do it, and I didnt want to either, but I went along with it. The one cast member took us into the shack, and gave us some slickers and boots to put on. I was feeling so nervous, I really did not want to do this. There was a technical difficulty, so we had to wait 10 minutes. At this point, I felt like I was about to throw up. And then there was another technical difficulty, and on a 2 to 1 vote (Alex voted ye) we did not want to wait that long. We took our giant raincoats off and we left to go on the ride. I was so relieved, but still shocked.

We did not ride this since they added the stunt show, and it was cool to see what that looked like backstage. It is cool to ride this and see what it is like behind the scenes of the movies.

We were ready to go back to the hotel after this, and we leisurely walked through the shops to the parks entrance to get ready to leave. We took a bus to the TTC and then walked over because the bus to our resorts left just as we were walking up.

I left the family to take the monorail around the lagoon again. I got off at the magic kingdom and actually walked on the path that was originally built to go all the way around the lagoon. It was very peaceful (yet hot). I even got to hear some wonderful monorail horns!

I then went to the contemporary to walk around. I went into the garden wing, something I never did. I also walked along the beach on Bay Lake and all in the tower.

I went back to the Polynesian to get ready for dinner at Le Cellier. Our ADR was at 7:25. We got on the monorail and went to Epcot. We walked slowly over the Canada because we had some time to kill. At the restaurant, our waiters name was Mo. Alex and Dad had a filet with mushrooms, Mom had prime rib, and I had a Kansas City strip with some kind of coffee rub. The meal was amazing! Just as good as Le Cellier always is.

So today is Friday, so that means EMH at MK. And, for whatever reason, the park was open until midnight, so that means park time until 3 in the morning!

Alex and I arrived in the park around 9:50 ( the monorail was a bit slow) so we decided to stay in the town square until Wishes was over. Alex ran off somewhere so I had to find a spot for myself. I found a spoton top of the white water fountain. I sat while Wishes was going on, and Alex came back soon. We dodged traffic to get to adventureland, where we rode Jungle Cruise and Pirates. We then went to frontierland and got a FP for Thunder Mountain, and we went back to Fantasyland.

In Fantasyland, we rode its a small world and also Fantasmic. There was enough time to go in a store until our FP for Thunder Mountain were up. We went back to Frontierland and rode Thunder and then we rode Splash, because the wait was not that long. I started to get hungry, and most good places were closed already. A cast member told us Cosmic Rays was open, so we walked over to Tomorrowland. It was closed, and we had nothing else to do.

Alex suggested that we do the Tomorrowland Speedway. I got to drive a little bit! There was still a little bit of time, so we rode Astro Orbiters for the first time. There is a great view from up there! It was about 3 now, so we took the monorail back to the hotel and went to bed. And by the way, I got a dole whip every day. They are the best!

Stay tuned for Animal Kingdom on Saturday!

And thank you for reading so far

Stephen Valente

Living The Dream

great report so far, can't wait to read more. I can't wait until
    i can write my own report in just over a month!

Never be satisfied with having something work, know WHY it works.

Can't wait to help make the magic!

Oh to be young at at the parks until 3 a.m.! Wow, Stephen! Sorry about Cosmic Ray's. I always find it difficult to find something to eat during those really late night EMHs....

Quote Originally Posted by bantha09 View Post
    great report so far, can't wait to read more. I can't wait until
    i can write my own report in just over a month!
    Thank you for reading! And congratulations on your trip report! I'll be sure to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelaney_98 View Post
    Oh to be young at at the parks until 3 a.m.! Wow, Stephen! Sorry about Cosmic Ray's. I always find it difficult to find something to eat during those really late night EMHs....
    It is hard to find food at EMH. I'm glad someone agrees with me! I had to buy water because that was the only thing that was open. And thank you for reading, Tina!

I was also kind of surprised about how young the kids were at EMH. I mean, they were in strollers. I had no idea children that young could stay up that late
    Stephen Valente

Whether they CAN is different than whether they SHOULD.... It won't hurt them for one night, but if it is night after night, it can really screw up the sleep schedule.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Well today, it was a little challenging getting up. Three in the morning (well, 3:30 if you count travel time) would not be a good idea if you had to get up very early. But luckily, there is no EMH at night on Saturday, so I would not feel bad that I was missing something by actually sleeping that night.

We had the continental fare for breakfast, and then we drove over to Animal Kingdom. The heat of Central Florida is brutal, but this was terrible. We just happened to be there during the hottest part of the year! Who would have thought? I think today was around 95. plus humidity.

We entered the park, and it was soo very hot. I didnt mind because I love the heat, but everyone else? Not so much. They were dying! We stopped to get a bottle of water every 15 minutes, no lie. We went to get FPs for Kilimanjaros Safaris, and they were completely wiped out. I knew I had to get them to shade (yes, I do talk like Bear Grylls sometimes).

I looked on the times guide and saw that there was a Finding Nemo show at 11:15. Hey! Lets go see Nemo! I said. I told them about how its half an hour in air conditioning and they agreed. I took them through Asia and over the bridge to the Theater in the Wild, even though they were telling me to take the Discovery Island way.

Well, it turns out that me and Alexs friends from school, Laura and Zach, were in the theater too! We were all the way on the stage left side, five rows up from the center aisle, and they were towards the center of the theater. All we could do is wave at this point. We will see them later though.

And then it was time for the show to begin! And what a show it was! The props and the set was great, the music was definitely Broadway quality, and it was funny too. I especially enjoyed the song Go With the Flow. It was stuck in my head for the rest of the day after that.

And then our FPs were ready all ready, so we went over to ride the Safari. We did see some animals, my favorite being the Thompson Gazelles. They are rather small and have some unusual colors about them. I missed the lions though. I like the lions. Ohhhh well.

We were hungry, so we decided to eat somewhere. I saw Tamu-Tamu didnt have a long line, so we all got hamburgers and watch the dancers across the way, where we got to see some of the finest entertainment, and it wasnt the dancers.

A slightly dysfunctional family came up and sat at the table by us. First came a father and a girl and boy. The children looked like they were about 8 or 9, too old to be in a stroller. Well they rented a stroller and the girl was in it with the boy walking along with an angry look on his face. They got to the table and the father told the girl to get out of the stroller. She refused, and he picked her up by the torso and slapped her down in the chair. So the boy decided to put his legs up inside the stroller. The girl didnt like this, so the children started hitting eachother and the father barked at them, which caused the boy to go completely into the stroller. The father told him to get out again, and the girl screamed Shutup! at him. It was quite spectacular.

Anyway, it started to be quite hot and crowded to the max, and we wanted to get over to Asia to get out FPs for Expedition Everest. We didnt want to take the horrible way and dodge a bunch of people, so I took them over to Discovery Island. We took the walking trails around there to get to the other side of the park. They were quite nice and tranquil. We were on there for about 20 minutes and didnt run into any other person.

So we got to Asia and some Fast Passes for later. I stashed those away (I was the official fast pass holder for the trip) and we went into some shops. Alex scoped out some things that he would want to buy (he likes to buy clothes) so we could get them later. We walked over to Dinoland to look in those shops.

And now we our FPs were up so we went over there. The Fast Pass system has always been weird on this ride because there was always a line before you got into the actual line. Anybody else have this problem?...anyway it was worth the wait. The view up there is amazing!

After riding, we walked back over to Discovery Island so that Alex could buy whatever it was he wanted to buy in those shops. After those purchases, we drove back to our hotel because it was HOT!!!!

So we stuck around the hotel for a while. We decided we were going to go over to the Magic Kingdom for a little bit. We walked to the Great Ceremonial House to take the monorail over, where we saw Zach and Laura again! They did the luau that night and were looking around the resort. Our families got a-talking so we were there for a while. After, we rode the monorail with them over to the Magic Kingdom.

We got on the train to go to Frontierland. We got off and I got fastpasses for Splash Mountain. We then headed over to Fantasyland, where we rode IASW and Philharmagic. After this, parents got tired and went back to the resort. We still had all the FPs, but they werent mature yet.

Alex and I rode HM and PotC and even Jungle Cruise before they became mature. I liked doing this attraction skipping. And Jungle Cruise was just as fun as ever.

So we went and rode Splash Mountain. We got completely soaked before the ride even started. Does anybody really enjoy getting water rained down on them in a torrential downpour? Because I dont.

And now, Alex informs me he is tired. Tired? Tired?! TIRED?!?! Were in WDW! How could you possibly be tired?!?! Well he said he needed some kind of sleep or whatever so I had to guide him back (Alex has absolutely no sense of direction at all. We have been living outside of Hazleton, which is a fairly small town, for years, and he still has no idea where he is going) to the Resort, where we did go to bed because we had to get up really early the next day.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

So, as I said before, we got up early today. Yes, you thought right, its Fathers Day today. So we did what dad wanted to do today, and that was be at the parks as early as possible. But then, we hit a roadblock. Its Sunday, so we have to go to church. He wanted to go to the 7:30 mass. Thats right, that means getting up at6:30 or so.

We walked in late (which is something I frown upon, guess I cant do that anymore). Afterwards, we went to the little gift shop to get Alex some Jesus-wear for his dorm room (hes going off to college in August. Penn State Football, here we come!). So then it was off to Epcot for F-day.

Well we actually drove back to the resort for continental breakfast favorites. Then we walked to the TTC and took the monorail to Epcot. Once upon arrival, we went to get FPs for Soarin, which were already around 3 oclock, which was perfect because our tour was for 1:30 (we were doing the Behind the Seeds Tour for a special F-day treat).

We did not do much of the World Showcase yet, so we set off to Canada. We looked around the shops a bit, and Alex was spying up an Off-Kilter CD. Then we went to the United Kingdom and looked in those shops. I saw a nice Mary Poppins book I wanted. Then we went off to France! And looked around there.

We too looked through Morocco and Japan before stopping in the American Adventure for lunch. I took a few looks in the rotunda and the Cast Member there told me how each painting had little hints left by the Imagineers and even about how the painting of planes during WWII all the way in the left corner was an optical illusion: as you walk by it, the front of the plane actually follows you!

It was late and I thought we should be heading back to the land to get ready for the Behind the Seeds Tour.

We checked in at the desk and got some name tags. We were then shepherded over a small waiting area by the bathrooms while we waited for our tour guide to show up. Once she arrived, we proceeded into a backstage area past the Soarin FP distribution area. She gave us a little background information about the land and what they did there. We then went outside and walked into a room where they were doing research on insects and plants. There was something about moths turning into bees and eating pestsI obviously dont remember exactly but it was all very interesting.

We went outside again and she showed us a window into the lab area where they were studying plant-tissue culture. They could actually take a piece of a plant and put it into a hormone mix and make a whole new plant! They had done so with a red-wood tree and placed it outside to see. It was really neat.

Then we went into the greenhouses. We got to see the workings behind the other workings, such as the area where they actually spray nutrients onto the roots of the plants. This was also where the children were able to release the ladybugs onto the eggplants.

She then showed us about their research in hydroponics. It was a very simple system, only using Styrofoam, a fish tank, and an air pump. She even gave us sheets on how to make our own system at home.

Then we moved on into the temperate greenhouse, where they were showcasing plants like cucumbers, cotton, melons, lettuce, and tomatoes. They even hold a Guiness World Record for longest living tomato plant. Eighteen months, I believe.

Next was the aquaculture room. We learned about the alligators and eels and what not. Some of us even got to feed tilapia.

And finally we moved into the tropical/sand culture green house. We saw banana plants and even dragonfruits. This was the end of the tour.

Oh, and I forgot to mention about the mimosa plant. Towards the beginning of the tour, there was this one plant, one of the only ones we were allowed to touch. And when you touch it, the leaves immediately close up as a defense mechanism. Someone kicked the stool it was sitting on and the whole plant closed up and it looked like it was dead. Thos was one of the coolest plants I ever saw!

Anyway, this tour was great. Not only would I recommend it, I would do it again. It was a terrific tour!

Even after the tour, we still had about 45 minutes until our FPs for Soarin were mature. I knew that Ellens Energy Adventure was about 45 minutes, so I suggested we go over there.

We were in the room with the dinosaurs, right under the snorting longneck. I noticed it so I was looking at it. It snorted once, and the it snorted againbut this time, it didnt stop. Infact, the whole ride stopped. Seems like it broke down.

They made a few public announcements, but we couldnt hear any of them, on account of the noise of whatever was coming out of this animatronic above us. Soon, workers (and I call them workers, they were wearing dark [and some, flannel!] clothes and they didnt have name tags) came out to go to the control box in back of the vehicle and moved us manually into the next theater. They were talking about shutting down power to the whole ride. It seemed rather serious.

They let us off the ride eventually. So, Im actually happy because I finally got to evacuate a ride.

And now we could finally ride Soarin. It was a slightly long line, even for Fast Passes, but we got through it. Afterwards, we went back to the Resort for some lunch goodies. In the club level for lunch, they had nachos with salsa or popcorn (the choices between those alternated every day), along with chocolate chip and oatmeal raisin cookies, and some kind of dolphin-shaped gummy treats.

I got rejuvenated and then I went to the Contemporary. I went inside the South Garden Wing, and down to Bay Lake. I also discovered some lovely backstage areas at the contemporary.

I went back to the Resort after this to get ready for the ADR that night at California Grill. It was later so that we could see Wishes!.

We arrived and were taken up to the 15 floor. We sat in the lounge for 3 minutes and our buzzer rang. Our table was not at the window but it did have a Magic Kingdom view. We had a Ravioli appetizer, apparently their signature. It was, and I quote, fabulous!

We went and watch Wishes on top of the Contemporary. This is a very great view:

For dinner, I had Halibut with stir-fry vegetables. Mother had chicken with seasonal vegetables. Alex had the special hoop-dee-doo filet, and father had Salmon. The meal was amazing, one of the best we had on property.

So of course, today was Sunday, EMH at the Magic Kingdom. Alex and I went back to the resort, changed out of our collared shirts, and headed off for the park.

When we entered, we went over the Frontierland again. We rode Thunder Mountain because there was a small wait. We then went over the Tomorrowland and rode Buzz Lightyear and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor. Unfortunately, our trip had to be cut short. We had 18 hot and grueling holes of golf to play tomorrow. At 8 in the morning. Ohhh well. Stay tuned for more!
    Stephen Valente

"To Infinity & Beyond..."

Wow! Time really does fly, I can't believe a year has gone by since your last visit.

I also have just begun this report but wanted to compliment you on the way it's written, it's awesome.

WDW All Star Sports 7/1999, 6/2006 & now just waiting for the green light to plan the next trip- HOPE ITS SOON OR I MIGHT JUST HOP ON A PLANE AND GO ALONE!!- haha

I'm exhausted just reading this! Whew! You pack a lotta into a day, young man! Having a great time reading it, though!

Oh to be your age again . So full of energy . But hey no flirting with any minnies or dasiys

Yay Stephen great trip report! Hopefully I'll have one up soon! Moms taking me on a "surprise" trip (I'm betting on week after next--next week I have drivers ed :/) of course it's killing me not being able to plan and know where we're staying and eating. Hopefully a Disney trip with school next year! I can't believe how fast freshman year flew by!!!!

Emma

Monday, June 22, 2009

So. Early again today. We were heading out to Osprey Ridge to play a wonderful 18 holes. And wonderful they were.

I wont go into complete detail, but it was hot and the course was hard. Now, Im not saying you should not play golf at Disney, but all Im saying is that you had better be a class-act player and not mind heat AT ALL. And you can not let the heat get to you at all, or it will make you wish you never started.

Okay, Im done.

When we finished, we drove back to the resort. Alex and I left parents there and we went to Epcot to buy the items that we saw the other day: Alex, the Off Kilter CD and I, the Mary Poppins book. Before going to the World Showcase, however, I made Alex stop in the Land with me to buy a mini-garden. These are neat little kits sold over by Soarin. They were grown using plant-tissue culture, not from a seed. I got myself a kalanchoe plant (its a kind of flowering house plant).

After purchasing, I suggested that we go over to the Boardwalk area. So we walked over there. We stopped in the ice cream store there. Alex got some ice cream and I got a smoothie. We sat at a table outside and enjoyed the beauty that is Crescent Lake. Afterward, we walked over the General Store and looked around. Then we went back to Epcot.

We stopped and rode Spaceship Earth before heading back. I left him there to go to the Grand Floridian. I strolled the grounds there. I went inside the Big Pine Key building and then walked over to the boat dock and Narcoosees. Then I took the monorail over to the contemporary and took some very good pictures from that balcony. One of the last times I can stand there without it being popularized by people walking from the Bay Lake Tower to the Main Tower.

Anyway, I took the monorail back over to the Polynesian. We had evening service, today it happened to be sushi and make your own noodle bowl. Very good, by the way.

We went to Epcot that night. Alex likes this chocolate cake thing from the bakery and Norway, so we headed off there. On the way, a family stopped and asked if we were staying later. We said so, and they gave us 4 FPs for Soarin! How lucky is that?

So we stopped in Mexico along the away and rode the Three Caballeros Ride. Afterwards, we walked over to Norway and got some baked goods. I had myself a Viking Cookie.

After eating, Alex and I walked over to The Land. Parents stayed in World Showcase because they wanted to go shopping in Japan or France or something like that. We went on Soarin. When we got off, it was just about the end of Illuminations, and I jumped up off the path on one of those little hills and took some pictures of the finale.

Alex and I walked to near the entrance and sat by the restrooms on the side of Spaceship Earth. So many people walked by us on their way out before parents came. We got on a monorail. It took an hour to get back to the resort, because I was running back to the room to just see the beginning of Wishes from our balcony.

We stayed in that night. Yes, boring, dont you think? I think so. Well, I guess I needed the rest. But tomorrow is the dreaded last day

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This is it! This is the last day! I only have 24 hours left! Help me, help me!

That was basically my philosophy throughout the whole day. I was very scared to leave, I must admit. Petrified, really.

Well, Epcot was where we wanted to go for our last mourning. We walked to TTC and got on monorail black to go to Epcot.

Once in, we went straight to the World Showcase. We started in Canada and looked in all the shops around the countries. Somberly. We did stop in the American Adventure to get Alex a funnel cake, and we got to see some great ducklings.

We kept going. And I wanted to stop and see Reflections of China. I got them into the waiting room, but suddenly they just got up and walked away. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. I dont know what caused them to do this, and how they all got up at the same time, but it happened. I had to run after my family.

So then, wanting to do one more Epcot ride, I got them into Mexico to do the Caballeros Ride. But my mom, being herself, decided it was too long of a wait. So off the future world.

We stopped in Mousegears, where I convinced my family that we should ride Spaceship Earth one last time. They agreed. So we went up to the park entrance, rode Spacehip Earth, and then that was it. Epcot was over for a year.

They went back to the Polynesian, but I kept going. It was the last day, and standing still was not an option for me. But it was strange: I dont remember eating at all that day. I know I didnt go back to the resort for lunch, but I really have no idea what I ate that day. Ah hem, anyway, I went on the monorail to the Grand Floridian to sit in the lobby for a second and reminisce about the week. Then I took the monorail again and went to the Contemporary to get some great photos of the Magic Kingdom from the Resort.

Then I went down to the beach at Bay Lake. I really explored this resort this year!

After this, I did rest at the resort for a little bit. That night, we were going to the Magic Kingdom for our last park.

We monorailed over there and got on the train. We got off at Mickeys Toontown fair. I convinced everyone to come in Mickeys house with me (its been forever since I actually was in Toontown, probably 3 years, so I just wanted to do something there. I also got a few good pics from it). But anyway after that we walked over to Fantasyland. None of the ride times were real feasible to the others so I had to go with the flow.

Then we went to Liberty Square. HM wait time was alright, so we did that one last time. After that Alex went to get some popcorn for everyone, for we were hungry. It did start to look stormy.

And the rain came down. We were held up under the roof of Liberty Tree Tavern. So after eating a little bit of popcorn, what happened? None other than parents getting tired and wanting to go back to the resort! Typical. And, of course, this event had to take place before the parade. So they scurried off. I was sensible enough to get Alex over the right side of the park for the parade so we werent trapped in Adventureland for half an hour.

Once on the bigger side, Alex tried to find something that was not to long of a wait so we could ride until the parade was over. So Snow Whites Scary Adventures seemed to be the ride to ride. So when we got off that, the parade was over.

Before, I had picked out a stray staircase in Liberty Square on the sides of one of the buildings. I went up it one night, and you could see the castle very well. So I thought if I went this time, I could see the fireworks display from atop it.

When I got there, however, the staircase was roped off. So no viewing from there. After this, I lead alex on a mad dash to find a good viewing area for the last Wishes!. I zoomed around the hub (zoom is a term used loosely. It was more like hobbling and stopping every 5 seconds for no apparent reason. But I did my best). 2 minutes to show time, I stepped over somebodys camp to go over the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station. And, of course, this just happened to be the first night they were trying out the Wishes Dinner Buffet which I found out about when I came home at the end of the week. So I rushed over, outskirting tomorrowland, just seconds from showtime. I settled for a spot on the bridge where a tree was covering the castle. But it was all good! The fireworks turned out to not be directly behind the castle (which I didnt notice for some reason)!

So, after the fabulous fireworks display, we wandered through the crowds to Frontierland, and Hectic Square (the area inbetween Splash and Thunder mountains. It is always completely congested here, so I decided to call it Hectic Square). We went on Thunder Mountain one last time and departed from Frontierland.

Then we went over to Fantasyland. Alex had the urge to ride Peter Pans Flight. Plus, it was only a 30 minute wait. And it even seemed like less time then that! So we got a good ride in.

This last Magic Kingdom romping, I feel, was very peaceful compared to 2008. I was freaking out over the fact that my camera fell apart last year. This year, brand new camera, no worries. And it doesnt even have any loose appendages to fall off! Plus 2 more megapixels, how can you go wrong?

Ok, enough of my camera woes of 2008 and camera woos of 2009. We RAN (and I stress this. Time just seemed to slip through our fingers tonight and we found ourselves in a race to beat the clock to ride something else before park closing) to Tomorrowland. I was unable to pick a ride, so Alex chose Buzz Lightyear. We arrived at the entrance to the queue and 11:58, two minutes to park closing. And, best of all, I finally beat Alex in the game! It was a great way to close off the end of the Disney vacation.

When we got off, Cast Members were already around trying to shepard people out of the park. We were all hearded into the hub, where I found two delightful topiaries of Mickey and Minnie with the castle in the backdrop. It was a swell photo-op. So we were hanging around the hub for a bit. Alex stopped to get an icecream in the parlor. I didnt get one because I didnt think I would be able to finish it before getting on the monorail.

And that was it. I left the park, crying in my soul, for parks for 2009 were over. Monorail Green was the last one I rode, the last car, too. We arrived at the Polynesian where I stopped off in Captain Cooks to get one last dole whip. And it was the biggest one I ever got, too!

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I got up early and walked around the resort. Everyone was up in the room packing, and I just stayed away. I refused to make myself believe that I was leaving already. But, push came to shove, and I had to go and pack up my bags.

It was a long walk to the Great Ceremonial House that morning, the last I would ever take. I stopped in Boutiki to get some souvenirs (e.g., a USB storage unit shaped like a monorail). And It was an even longer walk to the car. That day was near the end of the strange heat wave central Florida had gotten while we were there, and I miss it. Well, we got in the car, drove away, and thats all she (well, I) wrote. Goodbye, Disney. Hopefully see you next year.

Hello, everybody. Thank you for reading my trip report! I apologize for the major, major delay on the last installment. I got terribly caught up in summer things, and then I sprained my ankle and couldnt walk for a week, so I was finally able to write this whole trip report! I need more time to gather my thoughts for my thoughts on the trip post. And even more time to get the 2000 or so photos I took up somewhere. I lost my camera, which has the last 2 days of photos on it, so I cant upload those. I shouldve done it before,, but meh, its a long story.

But thank you again for hanging in there! And have
    Stephen Valente

Thank you for finishing, Stephen. Your enthusiasm is absolutely contagious! Read you again next year!

Thanks for finishing your report, Stephen! It was a fun read, but now I'm exhausted ... you pack so much into your trips!

I already can't wait to read next year's report.

Stephen, thank you so much for another wonderful trip report. We were there June 15 - 23 and you are sooooooo right it was hotter than Hades.

I hope to have my trip report up real soon. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed yours.
    Thanks again,
    Ellen