Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: How to raise excitement?

Blog Entries

How to raise excitement?

Any ideas on how to raise excitement for your trip to Disneyland?

2. # ADS

Blog Entries

- Read Mouseplanet updates and trip reports!
    - Watch the Disneyland travel DVD
    - Play Disney themed board games
    - Save up for a special souvenir with a coin jar (extra change or "Dimes for Disney" as we did with our son when he was potty training).
    - Watch a Disney movie and eat a special Disneyland-themed meal like a turkey leg, a pineapple smoothie (to simulate a Dole whip) and get Mickey icecream treats at Kroger-brand grocery stores (QFC, Fred Meyer, Ralph's)
    - My son sets up "Disneyland" in his room with little figures and misc. toys. He invites me in and we take a tour. Then, he makes me turn on the Electrical Parade music and he wears and holds whatever he has that lights up and marches up and down the hallway! THAT cracks me up!!! Talk about getting in the mood!
    - I help others plan their trips to Disneyland. THAT makes me want to go even more!

WDW June 1990-Buena Vista Palace, DL Aug 2001-Pasadena House, DL June 2006-Paradise Pier, DL June 2007-Paradise Pier, WDW Dec 2008-Royal Plaza, DL Nov 2011-Best Western Courtesy Inn, DL July 2012-Best Western Plus Stovall's Inn, DL May 2013-Holiday Inn on Walnut, PENDING DL Aug 2013 D23 Expo-Best Western Raffels

I listen to live365 on the computer which has a radio station that only plays music from the Disneyland resort. It's the old and new stuff. You even get the annoucements. It feels like your there.

We do a countdown on the frig. I cut out yellow,black, & red Mickey head shapes & write numbers on each one. We have counted down as early as 100 days out. Yes, that far. It does help us.

Before our last trip we watched the 4 previous years videos all in a row.

My son tells me he doesn't want to get excited yet, it makes the time
    pass quicker if he doesn't think about it, lol gotta love his logic, it actually works, he gets super excited about a week before we leave.

Angie

Save damsel-kill bad guys-save world jMom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

We plan out our Top 3 list and talk about past trips. We pack. We play the 50th Anniversary CDs.

Bob Genghis Khan, So-crates Johnson, Dennis Frood, & uh, uh... Abraham Lincoln // I've been ionized ... but I'm okay.
    "The imp of the perverse made me do it. I said ‘yes’. Why curse the darkness when someone offers you a blowtorch, hey?" - R. McKinley

We have a Disney Princess themed calendar counting down to our vacation with 126 days to go we started with 199.
    I read the updates on here every Monday.
    We have about 4 Disneyland information books.
    I look at videos and pictures online.
    I have even called the hotel just to hear them say something along the lines of "Thank you for calling Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel..." Then I usually hang up.

-Katherine.

But...I don't know how to work Live365..can someone maybe explain?

-Katherine.

Registered User fairestoneofall's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Last year, when we went for a mini vacay to the DLR I got a bunch of postcards and mailed them to our kids and our friends who were going with us. I started about six weeks out and sent them twice a week. I wrote on the back of the postcards as if the character on the card had acutally written the card. It was great. They still have some of the cards a year later....of course we're talking toddlers and preschoolers here.

If you can dream it, you can do it. ~Walt Disney

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by jkweitzel View Post
    But...I don't know how to work Live365..can someone maybe explain?
    i went to the website and did a search for "disneyland", Fast Pass radio came up. Im listening right now, but so far its only been commercials. :-(
    Oh oh oh, wait the Electric Light Parade music just started!!! Sooooo cool! YEAH!

I just signed up for the free memembership. I did a search for Disneyland and a couple came up. I listen to Uncle Walts Place and they only play old and New Disneyland stuff. I think if you pay for the membership you will get it commerical free but I'm not totally positive on that.

I know that everytime I watch videos from DLR, I get excited. I search YouTube for rides, shows, etc... and watch those. It just makes me really want to be there!

DLR: 2007 = 5/25, 9/18-9/19, 11/2-11/3, 12/6-12/9 ~ 2008 = 1/24-1/25, 2/17, 4/10, 5/23, 6/10-6/11, 7/25, 8/3, 9/26, 10/24-10/25, 12/12-12/13 ~ 2009 = 3/11-3/12, 5/29, 7/26, 9/4, 10/10-10/11, 10/13 ~ 2010: 2/26-2/27, 6/11-6/12, 8/6-8/7, 9/21-9/22 ; WDW: 6/99, 8/31/08-9/5/08

When it was my kids' first time going (2005), I realized that a lot of the Fantasy Land attractions would be stories they weren't that familiar with. I made a point to rent at least one Disney classic they hadn't seen yet every weekend leading up to the trip. Watching Dumbo, Alice, Snow White, Peter Pan and Pinoccio created anticipation and assisted in formulating some of the attractions the kids wanted to do.

OMG I'm LOVING the live365 thing! Thanks!

Once our dates are set, we count how many Disney movies we have now and start watching them at that many days out. We've done a countdown chain. We've done allowances in Disney Dollars. We always have a countdown on the Princess calendar in the kitchen. We also play our Disney games more often.

It's not nearly as much fun anymore though. My child is way too unexcitable. lol

I love the movie idea, we pulled ours out the other night to see how many
    we had, whew 38 disney, about 25 Dreamworks and about 10 pixar, we
    should have enough to keep us busy till we leave, grins.....

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    I listen to live365 on the computer which has a radio station that only plays music from the Disneyland resort. It's the old and new stuff. You even get the annoucements. It feels like your there.
    I have never heard of this before. Thank you so much for mentioning it!