Articles | Disneyland | Walt Disney World

Thread: Pookie - June 18-24, 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

Pookie - June 18-24, 2009 - Disneyland Hotel

I've never done a pre-trip before but thought it would help me organize all the arrangements better.

Who's going
    Papa (64), Grandma (62), Me (39), DH (44), DD (7 turns 8 on the 20th), DD (2), Sister (36), her DD (10), and her DS (6).

Staying at DLH concierge

I've been to DL 5 times but this will be the first for DS (6) and DD (2). Also, my sister hasn't been in 14 years, so I'm excited to be able to share all of this with her.

My Mom wants me to plan all of our mornings so we know where we are going and where we are going to eat lunch. If we give too many choices we will waste time trying to figure out what everyone wants to do, eat, etc.

Since we have a 2 year old with us we plan to take afternoon breaks everyday so she can nap and be comfortable. I'm sure there will be arguements over who can "nap" with her too. We will then head back to the parks to see shows, etc.

We will also be dealing with parent swap with DD and my Mom has MS so we need to coordinate how she gets on some of the rides.

I was going to order baskets for the kids but at $35 each I decided to bring my own stuff to put in them. I'm going to send someone to the gift shop and buy autograph books so I can slip those in at the last minute. I have pens, light up necklaces, and plan on putting misty mates too. I was thinking about quarters and pennies too. Any other suggestions?

Thurs June 18th-Fly out of Seattle @ 10:30 and arrive in Orange County @ 1:15. We have arrange for a Limo through Best Trans to pick us up. We plan to hit the DL as soon as we arrive since it closes at 9pm for Grad nite. I'm also hoping the park might not be as crowded since it is Grad nite.

Fri-June 19th-Spend the morning at DCA. Get free picture offer with Disney Visa.

Sat June 20th-DD 8th B-day. Get to DL early for MM. Still trying to convience everyone that this is a good idea even if your on vacation. It's not an issue with my family but my sister's kids are used to sleeping in. On this day we want to start in FL but pick up FP for Buzz and Splash. We have a 1:15 ressie at Blue Bayou. This was the only time we could get in for a party of 9 even though I called right when they opened at my 60 day window. We will take a break and then come back for a 4:10 ressie for "My Disneyland B-day party" at the Plaza Inn. We will call it a day after this since I think the kids will need some down time.

Sun June 21st-Go to DL and try to get everyone up for MM again. This time we might start in Tomorrowland for Space and Buzz and then head over to FL. We have a 11:20 ressie at Goofy's. We might do the fireworks this night since we can sleep in since Monday is a DCA day.

Mon-June 22nd-Go to DCA

Tues-June 23rd-Go to DL and another MM.

Weds June 24th-Play in the pool and finish up any shopping. We need to leave the hotel at 1pm for our flight back to Seattle. We have arranged for Best trans to take us back to the airport.

I still need to fit in the Pixar parade, Electrical parade, Aladdin, etc. I think with the concierge service we can watch the fireworks from the lounge.

Do they have the house of the future? My mom wants to see this since this is what she remembers when she went when she was a kid. She also has to ride the Mark Twain boat.

I think I might do ridemax just to get a general idea of what the best plan of attack is. I think I also might let each of the kids pick a ride they want to do the next day.

I think that's it! I'm sure I'll be tweaking this in the next few weeks.

2. # ADS

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    Do they have the house of the future? My mom wants to see this since this is what she remembers when she went when she was a kid. She also has to ride the Mark Twain boat.
    The original House of the Future? Nope, not anymore. I believe that is where Pixie Hollow is now. However, inside Innoventions is the "new" House of the Future. It is pretty cool all gadgety stuff for your home. Worth seeing at least once.
    Have a Disney Day!
    You don't have to walk on water, it's how you walk on land.

Just a little update.....

I paid for my "ticket only" package with my Disney Visa so I could get all the extra perks and I'm excited that in 1 day it should be sent out to me via UPS. I'm curious to see what the coupon book is all about. We might need to change some food plans so we can use these.

I'm still thinking about Ridemax but haven't found the time to do it with end of the year PTA duties and my daughters ballet/jazz performance coming up I'm not sure if I'm coming or going.

I'm a Financial Analyst and one of my locations is in Inglewood so that Manager is going to come over and take my husband out to dinner at DTD. Major score! They usually treat me really good.

I started my Disney Box and have been throwing things in it that we need for the trip. I ordered the personalized shirts for the kids and got a personalized braclet for Gabby's B-day. I also broke down and got the misty mates for each of the kids.

I told Abby (2) that we were going to see Mickey Mouse in an airplane so everytime she see's an airplane she says "Bye-Bye Mickey Mouse". It's so cute. I hope she doesn't freak out when she see's him in person!

I'm so excited that we got our tickets and Goofy's kitchen vouchers. They forgot to send me my free back pack and preferred parade seating vouchers even though I confirmed twice since I paid with my Disney Visa. I had to make a phone call and the items were sent.

I also received the kid's personalized shirts which turned out really cute. They won't get them until we get there. I also got Gabby a personalized braclet for her b-day while we are there.

I'm still trying to finish up our "touring" plan but it's all coming together and we are all very excited!

Only 10 more days!!!

So we are off tomorrow and we finally just got the kids calm enough to lay down.

All the arrangements are made and we are off!

I will post all the details when we return......

We are back, exhausted, but it was all worth it!! We are already planning the next trip to WDW this time. I will try and start on the report tonight but I still feel pretty groogy from the "happy" pills I take when I fly and I have to show up for work tomorrow.

Welcome back from a successfully-planned and executed trip!

Can't wait for the post-report -- Tink's dust will renew itself as you recount the details!

6/17-Pretrip

I got Gabby off to school today for her last day. The official last day is actually 6/22. I went into work until noon but I really didn't do anything but organize my desk and make it look like I did something. I did try and check in online for Alaska but it wouldn't let me. My husband's name still must be on the no-fly list. This happens all the time! One time he was even taken into the security office and questioned. All they need to do is verify the b-day's and see that it's not him. It also doesn't help he has no middle name.

I ran over to Costco to grab Pizza's and paper plates for the whole gang (9 of us) for dinner so I didn't have to worry about cleaning up a big mess.

When I got home at 1pm I starting to finish packing since Abby (2) was still at the sitters. I had packed most of the clothes over the weekend but I still felt that I had a lot left to do! I needed to pack the girls' bags for the plane ride as well.

My parents, sister, niece, and nephew showed up around 2pm. They had a 2 hour drive to get over here. I thought they were going to stop for lunch but they didn't so they all made snacks while I finished packing.

At 3pm I ran over to get Gabby from school so my sister could do some last minute shopping. The closest chain stores for them are 40 min away. We stopped at Target and looked for sandels but couldn't find anything. We did however, stock up on snacks. My mom brought a small suitcase we filled with stuff for the kids to eat while we were there and it worked handy to bring back stuff we bought.

We then ran over to Fred Meyer to look for sandals and a light jacket for my Dad since he forgot his. When were leaving Freddies my husband called to let me know he was on his way home and he didn't need to work OT. It would still take him 45 min to get home out of the City on a Friday night.

We had dinner and the kids were acting like they had OD on sugar. They were sooo excited. I was getting the kitchen cleaned up when the "boys" showed up for a glass of wine. They were also taking care of our dog Indiana Jones (aka Indy) while we were gone. On of the boys was also a CM from '90-'95, so it was nice to talk at Disney stuff while we were relaxing.

My parents got a Hotel by the airport so they could park their car for free. If it stayed at our house then it would need to be parked on the street. They left at 7:30.

They "boys" left at 8pm and we started to get the kids settled for bed. I was really shocked that my husband got the girls settled and asleep by the time I was done getting Abby to bed. My sister was in bed by 9:30. My Husband and I were up until 10:30 since he had neglected to dump both of the camera's that we needed to take until of course, the last minute.

We were off to bed but didn't sleep very well since I have a big fear that I will sleep past my alarm and miss my flight....

6/18-We fly out today! Seattle to SNA (10:30-1:20)

My husband was up at 4am this morning and got showered. I was up at 5am and enjoyed a cup of joe before I headed to the shower. My husband woke up Abby (2) on accident and she was VERY crabby so it took me awhile to get her in a better mood.

At 6am my husband blasted the music to ELP over the surround sound to wake up the rest of the house. The kiddos got up quickly and were ready for their frozen waffles (of which nobody really ate).

The shuttle was to show up between 7:30 and 8:00 and he arrived promptly at 7:30 and I wasn't ready! We paid $100 for 7 of us to the airport and then for the 4 of us to come back. This amount also included the tip. Even for us leaving during "rush" hour time we got to the airport with no issues. It was great to see Abby's and Kyle's reactions to the airplanes as this was their first up close experience.

We found my parent's easy and we got in line to check in. My parent's was easy but we had to wait for them to verify my husband's b-day before he was cleared to fly. We made it through security without too many dirty looks. We have found that when we travel with so much gear that we need to get through the scanners people behind us do not have the patience to wait.

On the way to the gate, my sister, husband, and Dad grabbed some breakfast at burger king. I went and grabbed some water and magazine for the flight. I then decided that I should grab a sandwich for the flight as well. We had already packed the kids with lunchables for the flight.

We were sitting down at the gate and noticed all these guys wearing Seattle Sounder gear. My husband then opened up the paper and sure enough they guy behind us was Nate Jaqua. My husband then used Gabby as an excuse to go get his autograph on the newspaper. It was pretty cool.

The kids had a great time just watching the planes come and go so they time went by really quick and then it was time to board the plane. We got on after 1st class. it look a bit to buckle in the carseat as it has to go in the window seat. Abby was busy playing with the tray and kicking the seat in front of her. I was thinking this was going to be a long 2 hours.

The flight attendent for 1st class was really nice and came back and gave the kids wings and a Disney card with details regarding the airplane on the back.

We finally took off at 10:45 and Abby was occupied just watching everything outside. Then when we started to pick up speed she had a horrified look on her face and she just kept staring at me. I felt so bad. She didn't move a muscle for at least 15 minutes. Luckily, she fell asleep and I had a pretty relaxing flight even though I hate to fly.

The flight landed at 1:20 and we were the last one's off since we had to unload the car seat. Mom and I stopped by the bathroom while the rest of the gang headed to baggage claim. By the time we met up with them they already had the bags. We headed to the curb, called Best Limo and they were there in 5min. We had a nice 10 passenger Limo ($171 w/tip). We had to put some luggage with the driver and the stroller with us but we all fit! My husband enjoyed a nice beverage in the car while the rest of us had soda and water. We were at the Hotel in 20min.

When we arrived at the Hotel the Bell Hops were very friendly and unpacked our luggage for storage. My mom also picked up her scooter she rented from Deckerts that was waiting for her.

As we entered the Hotel we saw Goofy and the kids went crazy. Of course, I didn't have the camera on me! He had some good interactions with the kids since we were the only one's. My husband went and got the camera and I snapped a couple of pictures. Goofy even made the peace sign over my nephews head for the picture. I can't wait for him to see the picture.

Once in the Lobby we were pretty much the only one's checking in. I when up to the conceirge check in and she asked for my name and she said, "oh yes, we've been expecting you". I thought that was really nice. They wanted to stick us in the Wonder Tower and I was a little upset since I made this ressie 6 months ago and requested the other 2 towers so my Mom was closer. I also called a week in advance to confirm. She went in the back to see what she could do. After about 10 min the only solution was to put us in a 1-bedroom suite with a rollaway for the 1st night and then we would have the king room open up next to us for the rest of the time. This would be in the Magic Tower. They would also take $200 off the bill. Mom wasn't too happy about sharing one shower in the morning but at least we had 2 toliets.

I ran into the Fantasia gift shop to get the autograph books and then headed to the room.

After getting to the room we called the luggage which showed up very quick. We got settled and changed and headed out around 3pm. My sister wanted to check out the Conceirge lounge and pick up some snacks and water. At this time of the day we were the only one's in there. We noticed a lady in lounge that was there from 5 years ago. It was very cool that she even remembered us. As we were heading out the lady's asked if we were celebrating anything and I said Gabby's b-day was Sat. They then got gave Gabby her B-day button. They also told her to wear it all the time since she was there to celebrate. I then asked about 1st time buttons for my Nephew and Abby. They had them there so that was one stop we wouldn't need to make later.

We headed to the monorail (orange) and it was only making one-way trips. We got loaded since it takes a bit for Mom to get in with the scooter.

Once we got to the Park the 1st thing we noticed was the lines for Nemo. It was at least 40 mins. We went around to grap FP for Buzz since at this time of the day I knew SM and Splash would be out. Buzz only had a 15 min wait so we decided to go on. It ended up only being a 10 min wait. Everyone loved it and I beat my husband's score! Star tours only had a 10 min wait so we decided to go on. My Mom was sent up the exit to ride. We joined her and also did a parent swap. Everyone loved this one too. We had another group that wanted to ride and they were very rude. I think they expected to get on the next ride just because the lady had a walker. I kept my mouth shut but we also didn't get priority seating either. When we came out Space and a 60 min wait at 5pm.

At this time everyone decided that we should stop and eat. We went to Redd Rockets to take advantage of the 10% Disney Visa discount. My 8 yr old decided she wanted a Ceaser salad. of course 2 hours later she was hungry again. The place wasn't busy so it was easy to get a table for all of us.

The park was really busy and I noticed a lot of Lakers shirts. I think the parade earlier brought out the crowds. I wanted to ride SM so we headed to FL. Since the line wasn't bad my Mom parked her scooter and walked on the ride. I liked what they did and the best part for me is watching the kids as they ride. My sister made a comment about not wanting to do that again. We headed into FL to use the restroom.

We were back by Celebration BBQ and noticed Chip so the kids stopped for pictures and autographs. My Mom then mention I wonder where Dale is and sure enough he was out too. We stopped and got his picture and autograph. When we rounded the corner the wait time for BTMR was 25 min. We thought about FP's but we wanted to get back to the lounge for Fireworks at 8:45.

We then walked over to Pirates and we had to go up the exit because of the scooter. We had to wait about 10 min and we didn't have any issues with the size of our party either. I did ask just to make sure. I could have been since the line wasn't that long. I love this ride and nobody expected the drops. Of course, after the drops the kids expected it to me a roller coaster. I don't remember getting wet before but we sure did this time. I love the changes they made to this ride and you could swear that Johnny Depp was a real person. Abby was a little clingy but was still interested looking at everything. Once off we tried HM but the line was too long and we needed to get back for the Fireworks.

On the way out I thought I would stop by AL for a Dole Whip but there was at least 15 people in line. Better luck next time.

We watched the Fireworks from the lounge which is perfect for my Mom so she doesn't have to deal with the crowds. Our view of Dumbo wasn't great but this would be the only time we would see him fly. Abby kept screaming fire, fire, fire. It was pretty funny. All the tables in the lounge were taken but it wasn't crowded at all.

Everyone was exhausted so we got everyone in bed. I finally shut the lights off at 10am when I was done with my trip notes.

Tomorrow we head to DCA....

Self-Proclaimed Disney Queen! Pammer's Avatar

Pookie, I love the detailed report (just the way I like to write 'em)! Keep it comin'...

Friday 6/19-DCA

Sorry, it has taken me so long to get back to this but I got really busy working 10-12 hour days and I didnt have the time.

I wanted to sleep in this morning but the people before us had the alarm set for 6am and I didnt even think to check it before we went to bed. I stayed in bed until my husband who was being loud woke up Abby @ 6:30 am. I decided I should just get up and take a shower. I have to say that I slept pretty well and the beds are really comfy. The beds are soft so if you like a hard mattress then you may have issues.

By the time I was done the girls and the rest of the family was up. My husband also went to the lobby to get me a cup of joe. I brought some vanilla coffee creamer from home but it still took a lot for this coffee to taste half-way decent. I have to admit that Im a coffee snob and we make Starbucks at home everyday.

At 8:30 we headed to the concierge lounge. We used the outside elevator to get to the lounge. The kiddos thought this was really cool since you had to use your key for the elevator to open. The lounge was really empty! They had cold cereal, bagels, fruit, and pastries for breakfast. I love the fact that they have a small table for the little ones. There is even a TV for them to watch Disney shows. I love listening to the Park music they pipe in. Its really nice and relaxing to look out the big windows and see both parks. It just makes you excited to start your day.

We grabbed a ton of water for everyone and headed out at 9:00. The line for the Monorail was huge by this point!! Security was a breeze and the lines for DCA were growing but not bad. While we waited I slathered up the kids with sunscreen. My sister and I also signed up for the daily drawing at the Honda display.

When the gates opened we headed straight to Soarin. My Mom was debated if she wanted to take the scooter or park it but after she saw the sworms of people heading to the ride she jumped off and came with us. Hubby also picked up a Parent Swap pass so he could ride after us. We had a short wait and got the first row. Yay! If this is your first time experiencing this ride I suggest you ask for the first row. You feel like youre the only ones on the ride and your totally immersed in the ride experience. Any other row and you have a nice view of dangling feet. Everyone loved Soarin! My husband and Gabby stayed back to go on with the pass while we headed over to ToT to get FPs.

When we got over there the wait was only 10 min so my sister and her 2 kids decided to go on. I went to go get FP to ride later and found out that you needed to be smarter than the machine. I couldnt get the darn machines to work! I finally had to ask a CM to help out. Found out that it wasnt me but some machines have a hard time reading the hard plastic cards. I grabbed 8 of them for later.

While we were waiting all the characters started coming out by ToT. This was so cool. Abby wasnt too sure about Mr Incredible and Scully. Since there was no one around I got all the kids books signed while we were waiting. Since it was taking so long I went in through the gift shop and waiting for them where you can see all the pictures. Finally, their picture showed up and Kyle look terrified! My sister loved the ride but both kids hated it!

I finally called my husband to find out what was taking them so long. I guess they made a stop in the Hollywood backlot to ride Monsters Inc. On our way over the kids stopped and took some pictures with the characters. This is the perfect time to see them all. No crowds!!

We all went on Monsters Inc and it was a walk on. In fact, this whole area of the park was dead. The ride was really cute and Im disappointed that I only rode it once. Gabby didnt tell me that Roz talks to you too. We were waiting to get out and Roz said, Hey lady in the back row I like your glasses. Of course Gabby just busted up. I then waiting for my parents and sister in the car behind us to see what she would say to them. Roz said, Is that man next to you your husband because he was making googly eyes at her, but he wasnt her type. Too funny!!

There was no line for the free picture with Chip and Dale with our Disney Visas so we headed over to get it done. They took there time making sure both girls were looking at the camera. I have found that some Photopass people didnt.

The FP window opened up so my husband wanted to go and Sister wanted to go back on again. My husband also wanted Gabby to try it and Kayla even though she said she didnt like it wanted to go on again. Instead of waiting I took Kyle and Abby over to Bugs Land. We made a little detour to get FP (11:40-12:40) for GRR for later. When we got to Bugs Land it was empty! I remember waiting 20 minutes to ride Hemlichs chew train. Which is not worth it! Since it was a walk on we went. I thought the last time we rode it had different scents throughout the ride. This time I thought I could smell vanilla for cookies but that was it.

Kyle wasnt big enough to ride the bumper cars b himself so we had to wait. I took them both over to the water away and they had a blast getting wet. It was also nice to sit down and take a break. I took some pictures and video of both of them. I then realized that I was left without a cell phone so I couldnt find out where everyone was at. When I was just about to leave, they were all heading in. Found out that since Gabby didnt like ToT, my husband, sister, and Kayla used the remaining FP to ride again.

When the gang showed up they did the bumper cars, the spinning lady bugs, and the food boxes. This is a nice little area for little ones who cant go on the big stuff and for whimps like me who dont like the big stuff! The kids were cranky so it was time to find food. I had printed up some index cards with all the menus on them so it was easy for everyone to see what was available. We decided on the Taste Pilots Grill.

The line wasnt so bad when we got here but by they time we ordered the line was out the door. We secured 2 tables outside in the shade and I went inside to order with my Dad. Having the cards was so nice since everyone could decide and not go in the line with us. The burgers are ok here or so what I was told. I dont eat red meat. I had a chicken salad and the chicken was soggy. The onion rings were really tasty and you got a nice sized tray for $3.49. The kids nuggets were tough to eat but they did get eaten. I got a toddler mac and cheese for Abby and she could have eaten 3 of these. The mac and cheese came in a 4 oz cup. It also came with applesauce and a choice of beverage.

Our FP window for GRR was already up but we headed there anyway. The stand by line was 30 mins. They used the FP with no issues. I was left with Abby which is fine with me since I dont care to walk around in wet clothes. I was also stuck holding purses and cameras too. Abby fell asleep in her stroller so I munched on a frozen lemonade while I waited. Even with FP it still took them 20 min. They came off the ride soaked but loved it! Since it was 1:30 we headed back to the room through the GC entrance. We stopped by the concierge lounge for some snacks and more water. Again the lounge was empty.

The kids were off to the pool with my mom and sister, my husband was off to the bar, and I was left in the room with Abby while she slept. I think I also dozed off too. I checked my work blackberry and responded to some emails and then called one of the Managers I work with to confirm our dinner tonight at 8pm.

Everyone else got back from the pool, cleaned up, and headed to the concierge lounge for snacks. The kids ate PB&J with other snacks so this ended up being their dinner. We decided to head back to DCA to use up the ToT FPs we had left from the AM.

We used the GC entrance which is very nice and makes you feel that youre not walking that far. When we arrived I grabbed FP for GRR to use for later. With the 2 remaining ToT FP Kayla and my husband headed off. The rest of us walked back over to screamin hoping to get on TSMM since everyone was lining up for the Pixar parade. We got back there and it was a 40 min wait. Bummer..The line for the Mickey fun wheel wasnt bad but nobody wanted to wait. Off to the Orange Stinger. There was no line so all the my Sister took Kyle and Gabby on. By this time the parade was heading our way. They wanted to ride the Stinger again but they shut it down when the parade gets down there. Since the only way out of here was to go back the way we came we decided just to watch the Parade and Im glad we did. We didnt have the best view but some people where kind enough to let the kiddos sit up front and my Dad put Abby on his shoulders. Dont worry he was in the back not blocking anyone. Everyone was glad we decided to watch it and its a good thing since we never made it back to see it like we wanted too. Gabby even got to see Jack Jack catch on fire which I missed. I would say if you have the time go and see this Parade.

We headed back to Pizza Mow Mow to use the restrooms and to try and find my husband and Kayla. As we were walking over to Mullholland we saw them walking towards us. They too, got stopped by the Parade and just decided to watch it. The wait for MM was 15 min so they all went on even my Dad. It seemed to take them longer than 15 min though. My Dad thought it was to jerky but the kids loved it. My sister dropped Kyles hat on the ride and he was really upset. I told them not to worry that they probably clean the ride out each night and they might find his hat. She confirmed this with the CM and she told us to check lost and found in the AM. I needed to go pick up the pictures we took earlier with Chip and Dale so my husband, Abby, and I headed over to Greetings from CA while the rest of the gang rode MM again. We were going to meet at GRR.

The pictures turned out pretty good, and they were even better since they were free. I also had no issues picking up my Sisters as well. We let Abby pick out a stuffed animal and out of all of them she picked Daisy. I really thought she would have picked Minnie. We also picked up B-day Mickey ears for Gabbys B-day the next day. Once we got Abby and Daisy buckled in the stroller we were off to GRR.

Just my husband, sister, Kayla, Kyle, and Gabby rode GRR. Nobody else wanted to get wet and by this time it was cooling off and the wind picked up. It was around 7pm so we decided to head back since my husband and I were going to Dinner at 8pm. We used the GC exit again. Everyone else went to the concierge lounge while we went back to the room to get ready.

We headed to Naples and arrived at 8pm. The people we were meeting were running a little late and said they had to park really far away. I decided to sit outside since it was so noisy inside. It was a little chilly but bearable with the portable heaters they had going outside. My co-worker and his wife showed up and we had a really nice dinner. The food was good, we had some nice back ground music from DTD and we even had a great view of the fireworks from out table. My Company also picked up the tab for us!

We got back to the room around 11pm and found out that Abby was to keen on going to bed without Mom and Dad. I found her in bed with my Mom. We were quickly off to bed since tomorrow is DL, MM, and Gabbys 8th B-day.

Tips
    Check your Hotel alarm clock and make sure the previous guest didnt leave the alarm set
    Go see characters by ToT shortly after the park opens
    Pixar Parade is a must see with little ones
    Dont ride GRR unless you want to get wet
    Ask for the first row on Soarin
    Eat lunch if possible during off times or you might stand in some long lines
    Use the GC entrance if possible. It sure beats walking all the way through DTD